Sign in to follow this  
namars

What's the point?

Was joint on an account with the ex-opened in 1993. Repo'ed soon after right before the divorce.

Have an old credit report from 2001 showing account closed with 0 balance & last activity in 1995.

Just noticed a soft pull from 09/2010 from the bank that absorbed the original creditor when they went under in 2009.

They did a hard pull on 11/24/10 with permissive purpose listed as collection.

What, if anything, should I do about this?

Can other creditors pulling my credit see that this is coded as a collection inquiry?

Welcome to CreditBoards! We hope that you find what you're looking for here.

Some helpful tips:

• Your post may not get a reply right away. Don't be discouraged, this is a very busy board. If it falls off of the first page, feel free
    to reply to your post yourself, with the word *bump* in the text. This will *bump* your post back up to the top of the board.
  • If you haven't yet, take a peek at out Newbies Section.
    Everything that you need to know is in that forum, for the most part! It's a lot of reading, we know, but this credit stuff can have a steep learning curve. In no time, you'll be posting like the pros!
  • If you find that someone is discourteous to you, use the REPORT button at the bottom of every post - that will ensure that a moderator or admin looks at the post and decides if it is against the TOS.
  • Off -topic posts should go in the General Forum.

Again, welcome to the CreditBoards family!

CB Admin: LKH, Pam, radi8, breeze

CB Mods: CargoJon, Chris in OK, cotterpin, CramItCCCAs, Fallon, MarvBear, mpc578, pryan67, psp, Stryker, TrevorHere

Forum Leads: brazen, Brian B The Loan Professor, cedski, DallasLoanGuy, hoapres, ICANHASMUNY?, Lighthouse84, Linx04, Neen, TeeSharice

My experience tells me that a good guess is that this is just one of those formalities that occur when business entities merge. During due diligence, they check on everything the acquired entity has in the way of assets and liabilities.

The chance of them coming for this is so close to zero, we'll call it zero. Don't worry about it. Way out of SOL.

The other question is interesting, and I have NO INSIGHT on that. Bump for that part:

"Can other creditors pulling my credit see that this is coded as a collection inquiry? "

"Can other creditors pulling my credit see that this is coded as a collection inquiry? "

If it's a Soft inquiry, No.

If it's a Hard Inquiry, Yes.

I wouln't stand for it myself. It was a hard which migh thave costed you points on your Credit score and it's way past the SOL for being on your report Number 1 and number 2 SOL for any state to make youpay back the $$. with that being said there is NOTHING stopping them from coming after you and even putting it on your CR if they fudge the dates on you which we all know collection companies never ever do because they are all honest.

Bottom line is that they have no legal action they can do to yu BUT they can make your life HELL for a little bit and really be a pain in the flowers. so I would nip it in the bud so too speak BEFORE it gets out of hand and on your report where you have to dispute adn write letters and deal with so many other things.

I'd get an address and write a FOAD letter to them and also get them to take the inq off because you didn't give them permission to get a CR for you. If I was reading this correctly were you a "co-signer"? or was this just your ex-wifes loan?

Either way as another poster said it's SOL has past years ago but they can still be a PINA so I'd send off a lteer demanding to know why they got a Hard inq on you sine it's such an old debt.

Good luck.

I don't believe they have permissible purpose to have pulled your report, since the debt is not legally collectable. You could probably get them to pay you and remove the inquiry with a properly worded letter.

RCJ

If it's a Soft inquiry, No.

If it's a Hard Inquiry, Yes.

So I guess the point was to poison my credit report with that notation.

I wouln't stand for it myself. It was a hard which migh thave costed you points on your Credit score and it's way past the SOL for being on your report Number 1 and number 2 SOL for any state to make youpay back the $. with that being said there is NOTHING stopping them from coming after you and even putting it on your CR if they fudge the dates on you which we all know collection companies never ever do because they are all honest.

The inquiries were by the bank that took over the original lender not a collection agency. That's why I was unsure if I should do anything at this point or wait to see if they are bundling some junk debt to sell.

Bottom line is that they have no legal action they can do to yu BUT they can make your life HELL for a little bit and really be a pain in the flowers. so I would nip it in the bud so too speak BEFORE it gets out of hand and on your report where you have to dispute adn write letters and deal with so many other things.

I'd get an address and write a FOAD letter to them and also get them to take the inq off because you didn't give them permission to get a CR for you. If I was reading this correctly were you a "co-signer"? or was this just your ex-wifes loan?

The old credit report lists it as a joint account (& I'm the ex wife).

Either way as another poster said it's SOL has past years ago but they can still be a PINA so I'd send off a lteer demanding to know why they got a Hard inq on you sine it's such an old debt.

Good luck.

I don't believe they have permissible purpose to have pulled your report, since the debt is not legally collectable. You could probably get them to pay you and remove the inquiry with a properly worded letter.

RCJ

Do they have permissible purpose? Even though they can't collect, I will still owe the money forever, right?

I find it hard to believe that this would still be on their books after all these years. The original loan was for $1995. Have no idea how much was left.

I know that they sold it but I don't recall getting anything from them saying we owed them a deficiency but they may have.

Unfortunately a few months ago I got a hard inquiry on a collection so old it's not on my reports anymore. It was by the collection agency's lawyer.

I was told that anyone I do business with (for lack of a better way to describe it - and of course their subsequent assignees, etc - ) has pp forever to pull my report.

For. Ever.

And this was my lawyer... makes me want to pick and choose how many creditors/cards/accounts I "collect" at this point!

Good luck fighting this -- I think a properly worded letter may take care of this as a poster above me stated.

Edited by GonnaGetEm

Well, I received a letter from a collection agency today. Letter says it has been referred to them so I think it's the bank

trying to collect. They have the original bank listed but the account # does not match the account # from my old credit report.

I have never done this before & don't want to screw it up. We only ever had two car loans with the original bank. One paid off

& the repo from 1993. Since the account # doesn't match do I just send a regular dv?

On an original $1995 with part of it paid & vehicle repo'ed & sold they now want over $6300.