Sign in to follow this  
Mervynsb

New IRS Policy 04/02/2011

I guess what I am saying is don't overload the letter with too much info because their readers/scanners might blow up!!! LOL

Assume a 4th grader is going to be reading it.

LOL

I think some of the CRA CSRs think there should be a penalty for early (lien) withdrawal and that you should be screwed for the full 7 years. All in all not that hard though. Just have to be persistent.

Just got a call from the IRS, apparently i had a previous agreement (which i do not remember) that i defaulted on... Which disqualifies me for having a direct debit repayment agreeement for that reason.

However since i checked the box that says "would be in my best interest and the IRS's best interest" as well they called for verbiage of why, to try to get this approved. They accepted the answer "It is in my best interest to improve my credit rating and thus paying back the IRS faster".

We'll find out if that goes through manager approval soon.

Surprising as well, they genuinely seemed like they were trying to help me.

Edited by Mnemonic

I guess what I am saying is don't overload the letter with too much info because their readers/scanners might blow up!!! LOL

Assume a 4th grader is going to be reading it.

LOL

I think some of the CRA CSRs think there should be a penalty for early (lien) withdrawal and that you should be screwed for the full 7 years. All in all not that hard though. Just have to be persistent.

They have been trained to believe that the law says it must be reported for 7 years. Actually all the law does is limit the time, so they can't report it longer, which they would if they could.

Same thing with inquiries - the law requires them to report the inquiries to the consumer, it doesn't say anything about reporting them to creditors. Again, the law was passed as a consumer protection, and has been turned into a way to punish consumers who apply for more than one or two credit products in 6 months.

They all believe it is illegal to delete legitimate items from your report.

They've turned the consumer laws upside down and inside out to suit their purposes.

@Mnemonic - good luck!!

Took a week total, but the IRS sent me back the information about having it removed from the Credit companies and the notice to give to the county. He told me he couldn't submit it to anyone because it does not exists in there system any longer. (Wonder if I could claim that it doesn't exist and have it removed from public record entirely?)

He said I have to hand deliver it to the county. That is a pain but I guess worth it.

FEDERAL TAX LIEN WITHDRAWAL APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I talked to the IRS Advocate a few days ago about getting the lien removed because it doesnt facilitate repayment and also is causing financial hardship. I hope that this help in getting my liens removed, I am crossing my fingers.

I received my green card back from my registered letter requesting to have a paid Federal Tax lein removed. I'm in Texas, can anyone else give me insight as to how long it took to hear back from them in Texas?

i am in Florida if any help it took me less than 3 weeks and i have a 10916 form in hand . sent out letter snail mail nov 29th got a 10916 dated dec 13th .came in the mail 2 days ago . still not showing in the county records yet .

Well Merry Christmas to me!! I received my letter from the IRS today. Application approved, both of the leins will be removed!!! WOOHOOOOOO!!:yahoo::yahoo:

I'm hoping I can get some advice.

I have two federal tax liens. I have been paying them off in accordance with a payment agreement for a number of years, and I qualify under the new rules to have the liens withdrawn if I convert to an automatic payment agreement. However, I can't get information from the IRS on how to do this.

I've called the IRS several times about this, and gotten conflicting advice that seems quite suspect. The first time I called, the person I spoke to wasn't even aware that you could have a lien withdrawn, and argued the point with me until I pointed out the press release on their own website. Then after reading it, the directed me to file an application for a payment agreement so I can specify direct debits. I have a problem with that, because I already have a payment agreement that I have been faithfully executing. So I don't want to apply, I want to convert my existing agreement to direct debit. Nobody at the IRS seems to know how to do that, even though it is held out as the method I have to follow in order to get my liens withdrawn.

In addition to that, I have called several times regarding where that form should be filed, and I can't get a straight answer - I'm given a different address each time, usually in completely different states.

These liens are killing my credit score and are pretty much the only negative items on my reports. Although my scores are in the 700's (FICO), I'm having trouble being approved for the cards I want and the liens are not helping.

Can anyone give me information on how I can do what I need to do? I would also appreciate any IRS numbers that I could call to get this all set up; I want these off my reports as quickly as I can get it done.

FYI, I've already paid one of these liens in full, but the IRS didn't change the lien status at all.

All help appreciated.

I have two federal tax liens. I have been paying them off in accordance with a payment agreement for a number of years, and I qualify under the new rules to have the liens withdrawn if I convert to an automatic payment agreement. However, I can't get information from the IRS on how to do this.

I've called the IRS several times about this, and gotten conflicting advice that seems quite suspect. The first time I called, the person I spoke to wasn't even aware that you could have a lien withdrawn, and argued the point with me until I pointed out the press release on their own website. Then after reading it, the directed me to file an application for a payment agreement so I can specify direct debits. I have a problem with that, because I already have a payment agreement that I have been faithfully executing. So I don't want to apply, I want to convert my existing agreement to direct debit. Nobody at the IRS seems to know how to do that, even though it is held out as the method I have to follow in order to get my liens withdrawn.

In addition to that, I have called several times regarding where that form should be filed, and I can't get a straight answer - I'm given a different address each time, usually in completely different states.

These liens are killing my credit score and are pretty much the only negative items on my reports. Although my scores are in the 700's (FICO), I'm having trouble being approved for the cards I want and the liens are not helping.

Can anyone give me information on how I can do what I need to do? I would also appreciate any IRS numbers that I could call to get this all set up; I want these off my reports as quickly as I can get it done.

FYI, I've already paid one of these liens in full, but the IRS didn't change the lien status at all.

All help appreciated.

And by the way, these liens have always infuriated me because they don't do anything to facilitate repayment f the debt. I haven't got property that they could attach to, so they are purely punitive in nature. They not only don't protect the IRS's interests, they actually hurt my ability to repay by keeping me from improving my scores, which hinders my ability to get financing that I could use to pay the loans off, impacts my ability to improve my income, etc. I need help getting these off, and have considered talking to the advocate.

The folks who answer the phones when you call the IRS out of the blue, are interns. Are you anywhere near a Federal building? - I know here, you can go in and someone who does know what they're doing will talk to you.

The liens are so they can enforce collection action if needed - it's a legal thing. But you are correct, they do diminish your ability to borrow, and even sometimes, to get a job, that would enable you to pay them back faster.

The folks who answer the phones when you call the IRS out of the blue, are interns. Are you anywhere near a Federal building? - I know here, you can go in and someone who does know what they're doing will talk to you.

The liens are so they can enforce collection action if needed - it's a legal thing. But you are correct, they do diminish your ability to borrow, and even sometimes, to get a job, that would enable you to pay them back faster.

So if you can't get any info from the front line IRS people on the phone why don't you just fill out the withdrawal forms and/or just call/or write to the people listed on the "where to send' the withdrawal form portion of the IRS website that is listed earlier in this thread... It seems the IRS personal working the removal of the liens were at least fairly good at their job... If you have one paid off in full why shouldn't it be removed for the "good to the taxpayer and to the country" option on the form to remove. It's all here...

All help appreciated.

And by the way, these liens have always infuriated me because they don't do anything to facilitate repayment f the debt. I haven't got property that they could attach to, so they are purely punitive in nature. They not only don't protect the IRS's interests, they actually hurt my ability to repay by keeping me from improving my scores, which hinders my ability to get financing that I could use to pay the loans off, impacts my ability to improve my income, etc. I need help getting these off, and have considered talking to the advocate.

I am dealing with the IRS advocate right now and so far its not much better than dealing with the IRS. I am trying to get a lien removed due to the hardships that they cause but not luck so far. The advocate says that if I am trying to get a loan to pay off the IRS they will release it but not for any other reason. I think my next step is going to be getting a tax attorney.

i am in Florida if any help it took me less than 3 weeks and i have a 10916 form in hand . sent out letter snail mail nov 29th got a 10916 dated dec 13th .came in the mail 2 days ago . still not showing in the county records yet .

UPDATE !!! removed form ex and tu so far waiting on eq .... score did no change yet still working a couple baddies .

So if you can't get any info from the front line IRS people on the phone why don't you just fill out the withdrawal forms and/or just call/or write to the people listed on the "where to send' the withdrawal form portion of the IRS website that is listed earlier in this thread... It seems the IRS personal working the removal of the liens were at least fairly good at their job... If you have one paid off in full why shouldn't it be removed for the "good to the taxpayer and to the country" option on the form to remove. It's all here...

I actually received a notice of lien release for one of them last week, and I completed and sent form 12277 the next day - it was delivered last Friday.

I'm hoping they process it quickly - I sent it to the advisory group as spelled out in publication 4235.

Anyone have any sense of how long this takes once they receive the request and completed 12277?

I can't wait to get this taken care of - these liens are killing me; Even with FICO's in the low 700's, I can't seem to get a prime CC to save my life.

UPDATE !!! removed form ex and tu so far waiting on eq .... score did no change yet still working a couple baddies .

EQ took like 10-15 days for me, and EX and TU were gone within 2 days of them receiving it.

EQ took like 10-15 days for me, and EX and TU were gone within 2 days of them receiving it.

thank you for the info

For those of you who filed a form 12277, approximately how long did it take the IRS to respond to you after they received your documentation? How long was the process from when you sent the request to when you received the withdrawal notice?

I filed one recently and I am wondering how long I should expect it to take.

Thanks all.

For those of you who filed a form 12277, approximately how long did it take the IRS to respond to you after they received your documentation? How long was the process from when you sent the request to when you received the withdrawal notice?

Thanks all.

3 weeks for me sent snail mail .

Thanks all.

3 weeks for me sent snail mail .

5 weeks.

However the IRS filed the withdrawal with the county after three weeks. If I had searched the country records online I could have disputed a few weeks earlier.

Has anyone had their Fed tax lien withdrawn after settling with an offer-in-compromise payment plan? And if so, how many payments did you have to wait?