Sign in to follow this  
Mervynsb

New IRS Policy 04/02/2011

Interns are the front line phone people for the IRS. More bad advice than you want to hear about. If they have an office near you, go in person. Look scared. and poor. Don't wear the gold cufflinks.

A little late, but I wanted to step in here and comment...

I've spoken to the IRS about back owed taxes on 4 separate occasions. It's a long story, but in summary, my timing with EXEMPT status was flawed.

Anyway, I have owed in excess of $5000 on two of those occasions - once this year - and they have never filed a lien against me nor threatened to. When I talk to the agent, they basically say that they only file lien if the amount is substantial AND you don't make at least arrangements to pay it that are accepted by the IRS (which mine always are). In a nutshell, "...if we don't think we're going to get money out of you, or we don't hear back from you, that's when we file the lien, but if you're showing good faith, we don't file anything because you're at least trying. If nothing else, always call in and talk to someone about your situation." <--- direct quote. That said, I'm sure that if someone is in the 5 figures, IRS won't hesitate to file the lien unless your payment arrangements are like $1,000 a month.

My advice to those getting garnished: Call and talk to the IRS. Make a payment arrangement that is within your means but will reasonably pay off the debt. Don't duck it, don't avoid it, don't run from it. Even if you can only pay $300/month, that's better than over $700 garnished from you without your choice, making you look bad to your employer.

Franchise Tax Board, on the other hand, would take your first born child if they were legally allowed to sell it for cash.

I was in the 4 digit range, walked in to their offices to take care of things, voluntarily, signed up for payroll deduction, and they filed a lien. After the debt was paid they did not update. I didn't notice until my credit app for something was denied. When I got the release from them, it had a current date on it, and they would not change it. Kep it on my report several years past the time it should have been. :angry:

I'm glad they've started to care - since we pay their salary and bennies, which are way better than mine. :wacko:

For anyone that has had an installment agreement with the IRS; did you verify that it did not show up on your credit report? What about an Offer in Compromise; would that also not show up on the credit report?

Edited by puppies44

For anyone that has had an installment agreement with the IRS; did you verify that it did not show up on your credit report? What about an Offer in Compromise; would that also not show up on the credit report?

OIC's and payment plans are not public records and therefore not specifically reported on credit reports.

Tax liens are public records and may be reported.

If a payment plan (with or without an OIC) is entered but the taxes are above the $25K threshold, then you will likely see a tax lien issued which will probably show up on your credit reports, but the whole point of the new IRS policy is that as long as you satisfy the lien or meet the rest of the conditions they will withdraw it. Regardless, it would show as a tax lien, not an OIC or payment agreement.

As of 9/6, Federal Tax Liens deleted from Transuion and deleted from Experian on 9/8!! Now just waiting for Equifax. Only 4 point increase in my TU score. No change in score for Experian. Just glad they are Off!

Update: As of 9/13 all my Liens have been removed. Thank goodness. No change in score but the 60 days was worth the wait to get them cleared off! Good luck to everyone who's trying to get them removed.

Just under two months ago I filed for a withdrawal and today I got the notice of withdrawal, form 10916©. This seems to be pretty consistent with what others reported.

I did not ask them to send copies to the CRAs but rather, wanted to do it one at a time so I could see what impact it has on my assorted FAKOs and FICOS. It's my last baddie on all my reports so it will be interesting to see what impact it has on the assorted scores.

Just under two months ago I filed for a withdrawal and today I got the notice of withdrawal, form 10916©. This seems to be pretty consistent with what others reported.

I did not ask them to send copies to the CRAs but rather, wanted to do it one at a time so I could see what impact it has on my assorted FAKOs and FICOS. It's my last baddie on all my reports so it will be interesting to see what impact it has on the assorted scores.

I just found out on the county recorder's website that the lien withdrawal had been recorded almost two weeks ago. So, for people that have applied for withdrawals and that are in a hurry, check your county records. As soon as it is recorded you can have the CRA's remove the lien.

Update: In checking the CRAs it turns out that TU has already deleted the lien. FICO went from 722 to 770 in 3 weeks. No other report changes.

Oh, and my ScorePlus didn't change at all and remains at 777 on TU. That's my lowest ScorePlus because of 3 recent INQs.

Strong proof ScorePlus doesn't count older lien PRs.

Edited by cashnocredit

I've started getting notices that a lien was filed from lawfirms that offer to "help" by negotiating with the IRS. Apparently they missed the PR filing which says "withdrawal of lien" but just troll the latest county filing records. Funny.

I've started getting notices that a lien was filed from lawfirms that offer to "help" by negotiating with the IRS. Apparently they missed the PR filing which says "withdrawal of lien" but just troll the latest county filing records. Funny.

I got a couple of those also after I got mine withdrawn. I would have used them but I of course already have Lexington Law on a permanent retainer!!! LOL

I got a couple of those also after I got mine withdrawn. I would have used them but I of course already have Lexington Law on a permanent retainer!!! LOL

I worked with the IRS myself but in my case I had paid, actually somewhat overpaid, the taxes I owed. The problem was that I hadn't filed a return so they just added up all the 1099 "income" and classed it fully as regular income when it was cap gains so had to be adjusted for basis and the lower tax rate of cap gains. When all was said and done a high 6 figure lien was released and I got a fat check.

I really have no idea how effective law firms are at negotiating things like offers in compromise and such but I do know it would have been a waste to engage them in my case.

EtoA:

At the time I had no CCs or other credit lines, had no idea what a credit report even was or contained, so I didn't realize the impact of a lien in the future. I was just worried that they might grab my bank accounts or home. Years later I began to understand when debit card usage at hotels and car rentals became more of a problem and I started investigating how credit worked and what CRAs actually kept track of.

Edited by cashnocredit

I worked with the IRS myself but in my case I had paid, actually somewhat overpaid, the taxes I owed. The problem was that I hadn't filed a return so they just added up all the 1099 "income" and classed it fully as regular income when it was cap gains so had to be adjusted for basis and the lower tax rate of cap gains. When all was said and done a high 6 figure lien was released and I got a fat check.

I really have no idea how effective law firms are at negotiating things like offers in compromise and such but I do know it would have been a waste to engage them in my case.

EtoA:

At the time I had no CCs or other credit lines, had no idea what a credit report even was or contained, so I didn't realize the impact of a lien in the future. I was just worried that they might grab my bank accounts or home. Years later I began to understand when debit card usage at hotels and car rentals became more of a problem and I started investigating how credit worked and what CRAs actually kept track of.

Funny you should mention getting a check back from them. When I originally "got straight" with the IRS, ie filed for the year they lien(ed) me for, the whole time in talking to them they were all SOL on me (you will not be getting any money back) and by filing my return for the year in question I was not gonna get back any of the dough the took by way of garnishment, 14k. The really dumb thing in me not filing on time was had I done so, I would have gotten back like 4k in a refund!!! So I filed for that year and several others and forgot about it. About 3 months later, I get the mail and there are 2 checks from the IRS, one for 14K and the other for 4k. This despite everything they said about SOL, which it was by like 8 years. You can be sure I did not call to ask them about it...

As far as law firms and/or operations like LL, I think unless you cannot read this website, they are quite pointless and useless. Maybe if you had no time to peruse this site or... I am not actually sure what/why but I do know that there are things that they CANNOT do for you. I read some posts over at myfico about people using LL or others of their ilk, WTF, like $85.00 per MONTH or like $500.00 in a lump sum??? Seems sort of pricey to say the very least!!!

EtoA:

Funny you should mention getting a check back from them. When I originally "got straight" with the IRS, ie filed for the year they lien(ed) me for, the whole time in talking to them they were all SOL on me (you will not be getting any money back) and by filing my return for the year in question I was not gonna get back any of the dough the took by way of garnishment, 14k. The really dumb thing in me not filing on time was had I done so, I would have gotten back like 4k in a refund!!! So I filed for that year and several others and forgot about it. About 3 months later, I get the mail and there are 2 checks from the IRS, one for 14K and the other for 4k. This despite everything they said about SOL, which it was by like 8 years. You can be sure I did not call to ask them about it...

As far as law firms and/or operations like LL, I think unless you cannot read this website, they are quite pointless and useless. Maybe if you had no time to peruse this site or... I am not actually sure what/why but I do know that there are things that they CANNOT do for you. I read some posts over at myfico about people using LL or others of their ilk, WTF, like $85.00 per MONTH or like $500.00 in a lump sum??? Seems sort of pricey to say the very least!!!

People get scared and intimidated and, to be fair, it takes some time and effort to go through this stuff for the DIYer. I was pleasantly surprised at how straighforward it was to work with the IRS. They were always polite and professional. Of course they had a job to do and I was the flake that procrastinated but they were never in the slightest abusive or unreasonable. Before I called them I read the collection procedures part of their website and knew what I had to do and what to expect. It would have been much more intimidating to just go in there without that research. Thank God for the web.

EtoA:

People get scared and intimidated and, to be fair, it takes some time and effort to go through this stuff for the DIYer. I was pleasantly surprised at how straighforward it was to work with the IRS. They were always polite and professional. Of course they had a job to do and I was the flake that procrastinated but they were never in the slightest abusive or unreasonable. Before I called them I read the collection procedures part of their website and knew what I had to do and what to expect. It would have been much more intimidating to just go in there without that research. Thank God for the web.

I did the same thing with the research and was not intimidated too much in dealing with them. But to be honest, although I had not filed several years of returns, I had always had tax deducted (W2) from my income. So maybe some of my cool demeanor was helped by the fact that I knew in the end that I probably did not owe much to them. And didn't...

I used a CPA to help me catch up and while his fee was rather high, I never got any bad info from the IRS. And he was a bargain compared to those firms that advertise heavily on TV.

After the intial bank account levys, I got scared as heck. Not because I owed them as much as they said but that they might attach other assets including my brokerage account and leave me broke.

He told me all along that once I catch up, I would get a refund of any overpayments and he was right.

At one point, they wanted all kind of personal financial info which I didnt feel comfortable giving them and my CPA made a deal where I would send them $2500 per month until I got up to date but after 1 payment, he filed some kind of "appeal" which kept them from taking further action while I got my act together. That appeal pretty much halted all collection efforts and he said I didnt need to send the $2500 a month anymore and to not to since clearly I would be getting a refund.

To be clear, I got a refund because I owed less than they confiscated but I did owe them some.

My CPA said we could have fought the IRS and won because they illegally levied my accounts but said it wouldnt be prudent to go to war with the IRS so we didnt pursue it.

My issue was didnt even make a reasonable attempt to locate me which is laughable because each of my 1099s had my correct address and my phone # has always been lifted.

He fold a court precident where we could have won on that argument but again, my goal was to get caught up and stop them from coming after more assets while i was going that so it wasnt needed.

I just recently finished up 2010 (got an extension) and didnt owe any for that year.

My bank accounts & brokeage dividends still have backup withholding at 28% as the IRS hasnt yet notified them to stop. Thats not a big deal to me and I assume that will be corrected in the next 3-12 months.

But, its just not something worth fighting over because the funds they backup withhold just go toward my future taxes anyway.

I would like to be able to "go it alone" in the future via turbo tax or whatever. CPA says I should stay with him but thats his income !

A few people crack on me for letting my taxes get so far behind but those people dont have stock sales. Before I had 1099s, I would often file my taxes within days of getting my w2.

The 1099s screw things up.

And I seem to get corrected & updated copies of my 1099s several times which only confuses things more.

So what I did last year was waited a few months, then had the IRS send me what they had and I went off what they sent me rather than the multiple 1099s my broker sent.

Im trying to trade more in my IRA so I dont have to fool with taxes but I still trade in my regular account too.

And who knows, with the way the markets been, I may never owe taxes again ! lol

EtoA:

I did the same thing with the research and was not intimidated too much in dealing with them. But to be honest, although I had not filed several years of returns, I had always had tax deducted (W2) from my income. So maybe some of my cool demeanor was helped by the fact that I knew in the end that I probably did not owe much to them. And didn't...

I used a CPA to help me catch up and while his fee was rather high, I never got any bad info from the IRS. And he was a bargain compared to those firms that advertise heavily on TV.

After the intial bank account levys, I got scared as heck. Not because I owed them as much as they said but that they might attach other assets including my brokerage account and leave me broke.

He told me all along that once I catch up, I would get a refund of any overpayments and he was right.

At one point, they wanted all kind of personal financial info which I didnt feel comfortable giving them and my CPA made a deal where I would send them $2500 per month until I got up to date but after 1 payment, he filed some kind of "appeal" which kept them from taking further action while I got my act together. That appeal pretty much halted all collection efforts and he said I didnt need to send the $2500 a month anymore and to not to since clearly I would be getting a refund.

To be clear, I got a refund because I owed less than they confiscated but I did owe them some.

My CPA said we could have fought the IRS and won because they illegally levied my accounts but said it wouldnt be prudent to go to war with the IRS so we didnt pursue it.

My issue was didnt even make a reasonable attempt to locate me which is laughable because each of my 1099s had my correct address and my phone # has always been lifted.

He fold a court precident where we could have won on that argument but again, my goal was to get caught up and stop them from coming after more assets while i was going that so it wasnt needed.

I just recently finished up 2010 (got an extension) and didnt owe any for that year.

My bank accounts & brokeage dividends still have backup withholding at 28% as the IRS hasnt yet notified them to stop. Thats not a big deal to me and I assume that will be corrected in the next 3-12 months.

But, its just not something worth fighting over because the funds they backup withhold just go toward my future taxes anyway.

I would like to be able to "go it alone" in the future via turbo tax or whatever. CPA says I should stay with him but thats his income !

A few people crack on me for letting my taxes get so far behind but those people dont have stock sales. Before I had 1099s, I would often file my taxes within days of getting my w2.

The 1099s screw things up.

And I seem to get corrected & updated copies of my 1099s several times which only confuses things more.

So what I did last year was waited a few months, then had the IRS send me what they had and I went off what they sent me rather than the multiple 1099s my broker sent.

Im trying to trade more in my IRA so I dont have to fool with taxes but I still trade in my regular account too.

And who knows, with the way the markets been, I may never owe taxes again ! lol

EtoA:

Every single tax return that I have ever filed I used a CPA. While as informed consumers we should having a basic knowledge of what we need to pay in taxes, a CPA knows way more that I ever will. I will deal with the IRS in withdrawing a lien on my CR's but I don't feel I am qualified to fill out my tax returns correctly and more importantly to my advantage. I am sure there are others here who can and do their returns each year, I just don't think I am qualified to do so.

Update:

I only requested the IRS issue a withdrawal but not send copies to the CRAs. I thought it would be interesting to do this on my own to understand how they get the info and what affect it has on various credit scores.

The IRS issued a notice of withdrawal and recorded the withdrawal in Sept. TU picked up the withdrawal and removed the lien and lien release from it's own sources without any request on my part. My TU FICO jumped from 722 to 770. I then disputed online the lien by selecting the option that included "lien withdrawn" for both EQ and EX. EQ promptly "investigated" and verified the original lien. At least they didn't waste much time. EX is still reviewing the dispute. At this point I collected the IRS notice, the withdrawal doc. no., and called EQ's CSR. I explained they had, in verifying the lien, not noticed that the lien had been withdrawn. The CSR asked a few questions and was obviously somewhat familiar with these. He asked if I had the IRS withdrawal Notice and/or a copy of the court withdrawal document. I indicated I had the former but not the latter but I could easily obtain the latter if needed. He asked me to hold on while he checked the requirements. After returning to the phone he indicated that the Withdrawal notice would be all they needed and asked me to fax that as well as a DL image which I had offered. I also included the county clerk's filing date and document number of the withdrawal since it isn't automatically linked when looking up the original lien and release (they both have the same number). All in all a pretty straightforward phone call. So we'll see how it goes.

Now there is an interesting little goodie that came with the EQ "verification"

State of California - Notice to California Consumers

You may request a description of the procedure used to determine the accuracy and completeness of the information, including the business name and address of the furnisher of information contacted, and if reasonably available the telephone number.

This could make for an entertaining little letter should EX "verify" or EQ reverify.

Update:

EQ just removed my 5.5 y/o IRS lien. FICO went from 707 a week ago to 780 today! Looks like the advice last week of the friendly CRS at EQ was dead on. Yes!

Pretty amazing since 2.7 years ago I had zero credit cards and only a 2 month old OD CL from Union Bank! If I remember correctly my FICO at the time was sub 600. As it is I only have two CCs, secured cards that graduated around a year ago.

I did have an old CC that was closed by grantor in 2003 that I hadn't used in years at the time. That helps my AAOA but really? I'm shocked at the impact a really old paid lien has.

EX is the only remaining lien PR. I disputed it online under optiuos which included "withdraw? amongst others. Just over two weeks to go for the 30 days. We'll see.

Update:

Experian Verified. I redisputed in writing with copies of withdrawal and doc number at the county if they wanted to verify it themselves which they did.

Results: Removed.

Fini

The IRS Advisory Group in Chicago signed the RR for my Form 12277 today.

Fingers crossed that the process proceeds smoothly and quickly.

I requested that the IRS notify the CRAs of the withdrawal. My questions are, will the CRAs act on the information received from the IRS and delete the PR? Or does receiving the information from the IRS prompt the CRAs to verify the lien withdrawal via their source of information, and then delete? Or will I end up having to dispute with the CRAs myself to have the PR deleted?

My first goal was to have the PR removed from my CRs. Now I need to find out if I can qualify for an Offer in Compromise or abatement of some of the fines/ penalties. Should I attempt this myself or do I need professional help?

Opinions appreciated :)

I requested that the IRS notify the CRAs of the withdrawal. My questions are, will the CRAs act on the information received from the IRS and delete the PR? Or does receiving the information from the IRS prompt the CRAs to verify the lien withdrawal via their source of information, and then delete? Or will I end up having to dispute with the CRAs myself to have the PR deleted?

My first goal was to have the PR removed from my CRs. Now I need to find out if I can qualify for an Offer in Compromise or abatement of some of the fines/ penalties. Should I attempt this myself or do I need professional help?

I got a state and an IRS lien(s) off all three CRA's recently. The IRS or whoever might say they will notify the CRA's and they might even do it but NOTHING happened with any of the three CRA's until I sent them letters with the pertinent documents. EX tried to slow me down by responding to my initial letter with one back wanting ID stuff. I have copies of DL, SSC and the recent utility bill.. got them out the same day. In getting a second lien off, I just sent my ID info, which had nothing they already did not have, as to not let that happen again. So I would send them the IRS letter and withdrawal doc that they send you and maybe ID if you are not giving up any new info you might not want them to have for whatever reason. Send it CM, CMRR not needed, and track when they get it. After 8-10 business days, whoever has not deleted it you call and demand they remove it. If you are lucky you will get someone from TX for EX and someone in GA for EQ but I have always gotten INDIA for TU, although if you get a supervisor you can definitely get results. Make them find your new docs, after the period of time alloted they are definitely scanned into the system, they just need someone to find and read them. Twice on TU they found my newly sent info and said they would be deleted and they were just several hours later.

IMHO...

It's a mixed bag so be proactive and break their chops to do what they are supposed to do anyway!!!

I got a state and an IRS lien(s) off all three CRA's recently. The IRS or whoever might say they will notify the CRA's and they might even do it but NOTHING happened with any of the three CRA's until I sent them letters with the pertinent documents. EX tried to slow me down by responding to my initial letter with one back wanting ID stuff. I have copies of DL, SSC and the recent utility bill.. got them out the same day. In getting a second lien off, I just sent my ID info, which had nothing they already did not have, as to not let that happen again. So I would send them the IRS letter and withdrawal doc that they send you and maybe ID if you are not giving up any new info you might not want them to have for whatever reason. Send it CM, CMRR not needed, and track when they get it. After 8-10 business days, whoever has not deleted it you call and demand they remove it. If you are lucky you will get someone from TX for EX and someone in GA for EQ but I have always gotten INDIA for TU, although if you get a supervisor you can definitely get results. Make them find your new docs, after the period of time alloted they are definitely scanned into the system, they just need someone to find and read them. Twice on TU they found my newly sent info and said they would be deleted and they were just several hours later.

IMHO...

It's a mixed bag so be proactive and break their chops to do what they are supposed to do anyway!!!

Thanks winstars. That seems like prudent advice.

Regarding EX I've learned to send the ID documentation with ALL correspondence to avoid the inevitable delay that will result if I don't. They seem to delight in giving me a hard time in all matters. They are my worst report. I froze them for a while but it was such a PITA to get a temporary thaw that I removed the freeze.

Thanks again :)

In reviewing my CRs and lien removal here's what happened.

At the start I had:

EX 2PRs, Lien and lien release

EQ 1PR, lien release

TU 1PR, lien release

The IRS recorded the lien release at the county recorder's office. EX removed the lien but not the lien release. EQ "updated" the lien release, TU removed the lien release. Result:

EX 1PR, lien release

EQ 1PR, lien release, updated

TU Clean

I disputed online results:

EX 1PR, lien release, in dispute

EQ 1PR, lien release, verified

TU Clean

I then called EQ, they were very cooperative and requested the lien withdrawal notice which I faxed. They removed a few days later. Results:

EQ Clean

TU Clean

EX then verified the lien. After calling EX, they directed me to write a written request for redispute. I did and included all copies, lien, release, and withdrawal from the recorder's office. Two weeks later they sent a short note saying they were unable to use the documents but were investigating the doc. no. information through their provider. That worked as two weeks after that notice they removed the PR.

EX Clean

EQ Clean

TU Clean

I'm not sure why these things are so variable but suspect it is because each county/state may do things differently. Where I live there is no notice on a lien or lien release that it has been subsequently withdrawn. They are all seperate public records and you have to dig them out yourself. What seemed to work was providing the document filing number for each one so they could pull them and connect the dots.

In reviewing my CRs and lien removal here's what happened.

At the start I had:

EX 2PRs, Lien and lien release

EQ 1PR, lien release

TU 1PR, lien release

The IRS recorded the lien release at the county recorder's office. EX removed the lien but not the lien release. EQ "updated" the lien release, TU removed the lien release. Result:

EX 1PR, lien release

EQ 1PR, lien release, updated

TU Clean

I disputed online results:

EQ 1PR, lien release, verified

TU Clean

I then called EQ, they were very cooperative and requested the lien withdrawal notice which I faxed. They removed a few days later. Results:

EQ Clean

TU Clean

EX then verified the lien. After calling EX, they directed me to write a written request for redispute. I did and included all copies, lien, release, and withdrawal from the recorder's office. Two weeks later they sent a short note saying they were unable to use the documents but were investigating the doc. no. information through their provider. That worked as two weeks after that notice they removed the PR.

EX Clean

EQ Clean

TU Clean

I'm not sure why these things are so variable but suspect it is because each county/state may do things differently. Where I live there is no notice on a lien or lien release that it has been subsequently withdrawn. They are all seperate public records and you have to dig them out yourself. What seemed to work was providing the document filing number for each one so they could pull them and connect the dots.

Re document filing numbers, in a letter to EQ requesting deletion of the lien, I referenced the doc number of the new withdrawal doc several times. Due to their computer scanning and/or stupid people, they initially sent me back a response referencing the new withdrawal number, saying no such lien was on my report. I sent a very short and clearer letter to them demanding removal of the lien with the corresponding doc number and only mentioning in "passing" the new doc number (the withdrawal one) so not to confuse them again.

I guess what I am saying is don't overload the letter with too much info because their readers/scanners might blow up!!! LOL

Calling them after they have hopefully gotten your letter and doc's scanned and into the computers does work, it just takes time on the phone...

I used these telephone numbers in the last month for CRA's. I had many I had accumulated but these seem to work very well...

EQ- 866 640 2273..... got a guy in Georgia

EX- 800 493 1058..... got a nice lady in TX with this one, I did have a recent CR number though...

TU- 800 916 8800..... got downtown Bangalore...

called in the daytime

Edited by winstars

I guess what I am saying is don't overload the letter with too much info because their readers/scanners might blow up!!! LOL

Assume a 4th grader is going to be reading it.