Sign in to follow this  
Mervynsb

New IRS Policy 04/02/2011

I wish I lived in California, or had an IRS tax lien then. My taxes were filed jointly and I did not know that the state ones did not get paid. I know have a tax lien for GA that I guess I cannot do anything about for six years, unless GA decides to follow the lead of the IRS. *fingers crossed*

I'm starting to get a bit impatient as I haven't heard anything in about 30 days since I've mailed the request. Sent 2 actually and 1 certified just to ensure it got there and it did. Anyone else had to wait more than 30 days to hear back from the IRS?

Most but not all seem to be less than 30 days, You will probably get them this week. I think when you look up the address for your particular region to mail your request to the IRS, there is also a telephone number you could call and ask.

I am still waiting for a response from EX after they wanted the DL, SS# and utility bill blah blah, they have had the docs for a week now, hope that this is a good week for the two of us!!!

Update: EX has removed the IRS lien from my CR. However my Plus FAKO score did not rise at all. As someone stated earlier, score rise or not, taking the damn thing OFF THE CR is got to be better for when a lender might have a peek at you...

Sorry about that GA state lien. The state liens are really hard to remove because the states see the lien as a "hammer" to make us pay our monies on time. They feel that if they did what the IRS now does, that they would lose collection power over us. They feel that if people know it would not grossly affect them for 7 years or so, they won't pay their bills (taxes) in a timely manner. California had a bill in the CA Senate this spring which would have mimicked the IRS new policy; it died in committee after the FTB (the CA tax department) more or less said what I stated above...The IRS new policy is amazing because its the FEDS having an enlightened view and the states not....

Google "removal of tax lien GA" or "withdrawal of tax lien GA" if you have not already. You can get into some real mind numbing tax law .pdf's about this stuff but for me reading the pertinent sections are/were helping me "say the right things" when talking or writing to the state. It seems that one of the ways to get them taken off is to claim the lien was "filed in error"... If it was not, well. then we can only hit them with the extreme hardship and in the best interests of the state and the taxpayer, which is essentially the new IRS position. That the lien on your reports creates such hardship that its bad for the taxpayer AND THE COUNTRY if this continues to negatively impact you for 7 years.

Edited by winstars

It can take a few weeks for your score to rise but it almost certainly will....IF it was already in there.

I think mine took 2-3 weeks after I got the IRS letter before my score went back up. They had to mail it to my county and whenever the county got around to updating their records and then the credit bureau picked it up.

I'm starting to get a bit impatient as I haven't heard anything in about 30 days since I've mailed the request. Sent 2 actually and 1 certified just to ensure it got there and it did. Anyone else had to wait more than 30 days to hear back from the IRS?

Most but not all seem to be less than 30 days, You will probably get them this week. I think when you look up the address for your particular region to mail your request to the IRS, there is also a telephone number you could call and ask.

I am still waiting for a response from EX after they wanted the DL, SS# and utility bill blah blah, they have had the docs for a week now, hope that this is a good week for the two of us!!!

Update: EX has removed the IRS lien from my CR. However my Plus FAKO score did not rise at all. As someone stated earlier, score rise or not, taking the damn thing OFF THE CR is got to be better for when a lender might have a peek at you...

Sorry about that GA state lien. The state liens are really hard to remove because the states see the lien as a "hammer" to make us pay our monies on time. They feel that if they did what the IRS now does, that they would lose collection power over us. They feel that if people know it would not grossly affect them for 7 years or so, they won't pay their bills (taxes) in a timely manner. California had a bill in the CA Senate this spring which would have mimicked the IRS new policy; it died in committee after the FTB (the CA tax department) more or less said what I stated above...The IRS new policy is amazing because its the FEDS having an enlightened view and the states not....

Google "removal of tax lien GA" or "withdrawal of tax lien GA" if you have not already. You can get into some real mind numbing tax law .pdf's about this stuff but for me reading the pertinent sections are/were helping me "say the right things" when talking or writing to the state. It seems that one of the ways to get them taken off is to claim the lien was "filed in error"... If it was not, well. then we can only hit them with the extreme hardship and in the best interests of the state and the taxpayer, which is essentially the new IRS position. That the lien on your reports creates such hardship that its bad for the taxpayer AND THE COUNTRY if this continues to negatively impact you for 7 years.

Thank you for the advice. The check for the taxes never cleared and we contacted them and nothing happened. At first we thought they were slow on processing, but then we sent emails. Then when we filed taxes the next January they finally told us they would take the previous amount from this year's return. We never got a notice, a summons or statement of a judgement. It just appeared on my credit report. I hope that I can find anything to get rid of it!

Thank you for the advice. The check for the taxes never cleared and we contacted them and nothing happened. At first we thought they were slow on processing, but then we sent emails. Then when we filed taxes the next January they finally told us they would take the previous amount from this year's return. We never got a notice, a summons or statement of a judgement. It just appeared on my credit report. I hope that I can find anything to get rid of it!

I actually had my GA state tax lien removed from my Transunion report and luckily it was only reporting on that one. A pure blessing. When I paid it off I got a copy of the filing which was stamped by the office and under the signature of the representative it showed "Paid, released and cancelled." I used the "cancelled" to my advantage. I sent a letter along with the filing, all of the info and notated where it was satisfied and cancelled and for them to remove it from my report. To my surprise they did! I sent the request on 7/18 and they had deleted it by 8/12.

Update: I also contacted the IRS yesterday and they contacted me this morning. They had received my request to withdraw my Federal Liens on 7/27. It was approved on 8/11 and has gone to processing. He said I should receive the withdrawal information being sent to the courts in a couple of days!! I am so happy!

Edited by cjsmilez1

UPDATE: I contacted the advisor handling my account on the morning of 8/24. She stated that Cincinatti had completed the processing and would forward me a copy of the withrawal and send the original to the courts. I received my Notice of Withdrawal on Thursday 8/25 from the IRS. I called the court today and they have not received it but told me to call back on Monday as it should arrive at the same time mine did. They are not behind in processing so hopefully by Monday it will be recorded as Withdrawn. I sent copies of the Withdrawal and letter from the IRS to all 3 bureaus on 8/25 so hopefully they will accept what I received.

UPDATE: I contacted the advisor handling my account on the morning of 8/24. She stated that Cincinatti had completed the processing and would forward me a copy of the withrawal and send the original to the courts. I received my Notice of Withdrawal on Thursday 8/25 from the IRS. I called the court today and they have not received it but told me to call back on Monday as it should arrive at the same time mine did. They are not behind in processing so hopefully by Monday it will be recorded as Withdrawn. I sent copies of the Withdrawal and letter from the IRS to all 3 bureaus on 8/25 so hopefully they will accept what I received.

They won't accept what you sent, they are supposed to ask their provider to verify the withdrawal or verify it themselves since it's a public record.

Congrats on your progress, I am sure it will show at the courthouse shortly. To recap my experience with the CRA's: TU deleted seemingly on receipt of my letter containing the actual withdrawal and letter from the IRS. EQ did an investigation, one showed online for a week or so and then it was gone. EX, 'ol EX sent me a letter back asking for the ID thingy. There must be a lot of people writing letters falsely trying to get other peoples liens removed from their CR's!!! I sent it to them and they just deleted it last week. It was like 5 weeks total once I received the withdrawal in my hand, two weeks extra because of EX being salamanders.

My last baddie is a California paid and satisfied tax lien. They are the biggest @#%$&^&8!!! So far, it's a no go getting it removed BUT there is a command structure in these state tax agencies. So just as we GW letters to CEO's and executives of Chase, Citi, Macy's and other companies, why can't I try a higher authority within the state agency that I am dealing with.

It can't hurt, I am completely on the up and up with everything tax wise and have been for many years if not forever. As noted, this new IRS policy will help a lot of people who otherwise would have a millstone on the CR's. Lots of people have these state liens which are equally destructive. I am going to try a little CB luv on them. Very, very lightly because in the end of the day you don't want to lemonade them off, they are the TAX PEOPLE. But its worth a shot a least for me. Sort of a GW/verification/validation about the lien. Lets see what happens.

I love/hate hate that you got your GA lien removed due to the stamper guy!!!

The Experian Plus score doesn't ding you for tax liens. At least paid ones. My plus score is 790 (98%) out of 830 and I have one. However, my FICOs are a bit under 50% (700-720). VantageScore (910) doesn't care about them either. There is a huge variation between FICOs and FAKOs if you have a public record.

The Experian Plus score doesn't ding you for tax liens. At least paid ones. My plus score is 790 (98%) out of 830 and I have one. However, my FICOs are a bit under 50% (700-720). VantageScore (910) doesn't care about them either. There is a huge variation between FICOs and FAKOs if you have a public record.

Thanks for the info, I am not sure why I was looking at my FAKO score anyway. Everyday we read here at CB that FAKO's are numbers seemingly generated at random. And what you said proves the point: getting them removed is better than having them on!!!

Thanks for the info, I am not sure why I was looking at my FAKO score anyway. Everyday we read here at CB that FAKO's are numbers seemingly generated at random. And what you said proves the point: getting them removed is better than having them on!!!

Well, VantageScore is a real score and though not widely used by credit grantors, it predicts serious lates about as well as FICO. Score Plus is another beast. It's not backed by serious research like FICO and VantageScore use. Even given that it obviously excludes tax liens (though apparently not bks), scoring me at the 98th percentile of the CRA base is, well, nuts. I have a fairly thin file, only 2 CCs, an OD line, and a 2 y/o mortgage. The average age of my open LOCs is 2 years. The overall average age is 6 years from an old cc closed over 8 years ago. That alone might be worth mid 700 FICOs (say somewhere in the 60 to 75 percentile range) but 98% !. I Don't Think So.

However, VantageScore ranks me just over 900 (about 91%) so it would appear not to include liens, at least paid ones older than 5 years.

However, in the reasons why my score is high, Score Plus lists both high CLs and major banks as reasons. These are not factors in FICO but I think at least the CL portion is a factor in VantageScore. It may well be that having had no open CLs in over 6 years then, within 2 years getting 2 cards with 36k CLs correlates with low risk. Or not, though I know it my case there is a negligible chance of default in the next 2 years. It would sure be interesting to run test cases through those different algorithms.

As a practical matter it would be near impossible to have reached those CLs within 2 years without the secured card path. I had almost apped for the Orchard card (yech) before I found CB and the deals on secured cards.

This is great information. anyone know if there is works to do the same with credit cards? Now that would make people pay it off.

Huh? The IRS does not issue credit cards or file liens for credit card debt.

This is great information. anyone know if there is works to do the same with credit cards? Now that would make people pay it off.

Huh? The IRS does not issue credit cards or file liens for credit card debt.

He means delete if you pay a defaulted card off.

They won't accept what you sent, they are supposed to ask their provider to verify the withdrawal or verify it themselves since it's a public record.

Transunion did. They removed it yesterday on 9/6. EX and EQ I sent the documentation and have had to dispute so awaiting removal.

Congrats on your progress, I am sure it will show at the courthouse shortly. To recap my experience with the CRA's: TU deleted seemingly on receipt of my letter containing the actual withdrawal and letter from the IRS. EQ did an investigation, one showed online for a week or so and then it was gone. EX, 'ol EX sent me a letter back asking for the ID thingy. There must be a lot of people writing letters falsely trying to get other peoples liens removed from their CR's!!! I sent it to them and they just deleted it last week. It was like 5 weeks total once I received the withdrawal in my hand, two weeks extra because of EX being salamanders.

My last baddie is a California paid and satisfied tax lien. They are the biggest @#%$&^&8!!! So far, it's a no go getting it removed BUT there is a command structure in these state tax agencies. So just as we GW letters to CEO's and executives of Chase, Citi, Macy's and other companies, why can't I try a higher authority within the state agency that I am dealing with.

It can't hurt, I am completely on the up and up with everything tax wise and have been for many years if not forever. As noted, this new IRS policy will help a lot of people who otherwise would have a millstone on the CR's. Lots of people have these state liens which are equally destructive. I am going to try a little CB luv on them. Very, very lightly because in the end of the day you don't want to lemonade them off, they are the TAX PEOPLE. But its worth a shot a least for me. Sort of a GW/verification/validation about the lien. Lets see what happens.

EX is the WORST!! They are extremely difficult. But yeah the removal of the state lien was pure luck only because it was reporting to transunion. And if you send them documentation and word it correctly they WILL remove it.

EX is the WORST!! They are extremely difficult. But yeah the removal of the state lien was pure luck only because it was reporting to transunion. And if you send them documentation and word it correctly they WILL remove it.

What is the "correct" wording :)

I'm dealing with a similiar situation. I paid my 2009 taxes online and because they say I did not put the correct notice number it was applied to my 2010 taxes and so they put a lein on my house. I went down to the tax office to get them to apply the money to the correct year but the lein has not been removed. My question is how do you get them to word the release saying that the lein was recorded in error? or On what documentation would they put that the lein was recorded in error?

What is the "correct" wording :)

It all depends on how your state Stamps the lien when it is paid. Mine said paid, satisfied & "cancelled" so I simply stated in my letter requesting deletion of Tax Lien from my credit report immediately as it was stated as such.

As of 9/6, Federal Tax Liens deleted from Transuion and deleted from Experian on 9/8!! Now just waiting for Equifax. Only 4 point increase in my TU score. No change in score for Experian. Just glad they are Off!

As of 9/6, Federal Tax Liens deleted from Transuion and deleted from Experian on 9/8!! Now just waiting for Equifax. Only 4 point increase in my TU score. No change in score for Experian. Just glad they are Off!

What scores were you using? I know VantageScore and Score+ have almost no impact from old liens.

What scores were you using? I know VantageScore and Score+ have almost no impact from old liens.

FICO

Understand the difference between release & withdrawl.

A release just notes the lien has been released and the IRS no longer has a claim on your assets. A withdrawl, is like it never even happened. Hence, there would be no record of it and no need to try to explain the error.

A far as credit scores go, free ones are the only ones I get.

My transrisk score is right back exactly where it was before the tax lien...769. It had fallen to 681 for about 8 months.

My other scores did not improve as much. Those score historys dont go back prior to the tax lien though.

Credit Sesame only improved to 710 from 688 and my vantage score only improved from 854-861 to currently 883.

The biggest question mark is my "auto insurance score" which went from 883 for 5 months without change to 870 about the same time my other scores improved.

Cant figure that out because I had NO insurance claims whatsoever and my credit actually improved from a lot to modestly via the other scores.

I still have not requested any credit reports to see what is on there as far as the tax lien. I expected my auto insurance & vantage scores to improve as much as my transrisk but the auto score actually went down and the vantage score only improved 3.4% from its low. The insurance score declined inexplicatly by 1.5%. Only the transrisk score had a healthy 13% increase.

I really dont "need" a higher credit score. I dont need credit. I am on the lookout for a credit card with a large signing bonus, chase has one but I already have a chase so I would be rejected for the new card & bonus despite my score.

I'm dealing with a similiar situation. I paid my 2009 taxes online and because they say I did not put the correct notice number it was applied to my 2010 taxes and so they put a lein on my house. I went down to the tax office to get them to apply the money to the correct year but the lein has not been removed. My question is how do you get them to word the release saying that the lein was recorded in error? or On what documentation would they put that the lein was recorded in error?

Understand the difference between release & withdrawl.

A release just notes the lien has been released and the IRS no longer has a claim on your assets. A withdrawl, is like it never even happened. Hence, there would be no record of it and no need to try to explain the error.

A far as credit scores go, free ones are the only ones I get.

My transrisk score is right back exactly where it was before the tax lien...769. It had fallen to 681 for about 8 months.

My other scores did not improve as much. Those score historys dont go back prior to the tax lien though.

Credit Sesame only improved to 710 from 688 and my vantage score only improved from 854-861 to currently 883.

The biggest question mark is my "auto insurance score" which went from 883 for 5 months without change to 870 about the same time my other scores improved.

Cant figure that out because I had NO insurance claims whatsoever and my credit actually improved from a lot to modestly via the other scores.

I still have not requested any credit reports to see what is on there as far as the tax lien. I expected my auto insurance & vantage scores to improve as much as my transrisk but the auto score actually went down and the vantage score only improved 3.4% from its low. The insurance score declined inexplicatly by 1.5%. Only the transrisk score had a healthy 13% increase.

I really dont "need" a higher credit score. I dont need credit. I am on the lookout for a credit card with a large signing bonus, chase has one but I already have a chase so I would be rejected for the new card & bonus despite my score.

A withdrawal will remove it from your credit reports. It will not remove it from the public records. They are forever and, well, public. However the FCRA means that any third party compiling your credit record will not be able to include this.

You must live in CA! Not only will they take your first born, but for some invalid and arbitrary incorrect statute. Those people don't know their own tax law. Get a different answer *everytime* I call...

A little late, but I wanted to step in here and comment...

I've spoken to the IRS about back owed taxes on 4 separate occasions. It's a long story, but in summary, my timing with EXEMPT status was flawed.

Anyway, I have owed in excess of $5000 on two of those occasions - once this year - and they have never filed a lien against me nor threatened to. When I talk to the agent, they basically say that they only file lien if the amount is substantial AND you don't make at least arrangements to pay it that are accepted by the IRS (which mine always are). In a nutshell, "...if we don't think we're going to get money out of you, or we don't hear back from you, that's when we file the lien, but if you're showing good faith, we don't file anything because you're at least trying. If nothing else, always call in and talk to someone about your situation." <--- direct quote. That said, I'm sure that if someone is in the 5 figures, IRS won't hesitate to file the lien unless your payment arrangements are like $1,000 a month.

My advice to those getting garnished: Call and talk to the IRS. Make a payment arrangement that is within your means but will reasonably pay off the debt. Don't duck it, don't avoid it, don't run from it. Even if you can only pay $300/month, that's better than over $700 garnished from you without your choice, making you look bad to your employer.

Franchise Tax Board, on the other hand, would take your first born child if they were legally allowed to sell it for cash.