Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

New IRS Policy 04/02/2011

The last post in this topic was posted 1411 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Any Information to help would be appreciated. Here is the situation. I have my Taxes paid down to under the 25,000 mark. I have had a installment agreement for some time now and have made every payment on time. I sent in the 12277 and asked for a Lien withdraw on my taxes and got back a letter stating that because I had not been In a Direct debit for 3 months they would not release it. Today I noticed that on the IRS website it clearly states the 3 ways to get the lien released.

1. Lien Withdraws for taxpayers entering into a Direct Debit agreement.
  2. The IRS with withdraw a lien if on a regular installment agreement converts to a direct Debit installment agreement.
  3. The IRS will also withdraw liens on existing Direct Debit Installment agreements upon taxpayer request.

Why was my withdraw not removed?

How do I fight this?

http://www.irs.gov/uac/IRS-Announces-New-Effort-to-Help-Struggling-Taxpayers-Get-a-Fresh-Start%3b-Major-Changes-Made-to-Lien-Process

Because you are not in a direct debit installment agreement. It sounds like you are in a standard installment agreement. You need to convert to a direct debit installment agreement, wait the requisite time, and apply again.

For some reason, they love the direct debit more than just you sending them money. I've been sending money too but I think I'm going to just do the direct debit and get it over with. That way there are no roadblocks in the end.

I suggest you do the same, at least you will only have to make 3 more payments then you can apply again!

I completely paid off the IRS this year and even got a refund. The IRS had put a federal lien on each credit reporting agency. I filled out the proper forms to get the lien off of each agency.

I got a letter from the IRS stating that I had been approved for the withdrawal of the tax lien. The IRS sent the withdrawal of tax lien to each of the credit report agency. I thought that was nice because I thought I had to notify the agencies myself.

How long does it take for the lien to be removed from the credit reporting agency ? Its been 12 days since the IRS sent the letters out but the lien is still on ALL of my reports !!

Should I contact the CRA'S or wait a little longer ?

Thanks

Has it been withdrawn at the County Recorder's office yet? If it has then I would probably call the CRAs and confirm they got the paperwork and ask for delete. They may want to confirm with the Recorder's office.

I will call the county on Monday to see if they got anything from IRS to be withdrawn. Can I go online to see if it has been withdrawn ?

Was I supposed to get form 10916 from the IRS ? All I got from the IRS was an approval letter and copies that were sent to the CRA'S, but no form #10916.

Thanks

Edited by Vettecor

I will call the county on Monday to see if they got anything from IRS to be withdrawn. Can I go online to see if it has been withdrawn ?

Was I supposed to get form 10916 from the IRS ? All I got from the IRS was an approval letter and copies that were sent to the CRA'S, but no form #10916.

Thanks

You might be able to. It's online for me but varies across the USA and even within a state. PRs are county records. Go online to your county website. If it's online it should be linked there.

Thanks for the information. Can't wait to get rid of that lien on my credit reports.

Hope my score increases, but from what I have read it might not if it is an old lien, which mine is.

If you have no other derogatory items reporting, then your FICO scores will probably increase. Your FAKO scores may not, but what matters is the FICO scores anyway. Having a 4 year old lien removed from my reports bumped my FIC0 scores by 50+ points.

Edited by SomeGuyInCA

I filed 12277 in january. I got it back in feb saying I sent to the wrong address, i re sent it in and have been waiting about a month. Myis lien was for just over 5000 dollars. It was filed in 2006. I went on a payment plan and was released in june 2008. The lien was released that is not me lol. So I am coming up on 7 years either way. If I were you I would photocopy everything you got from the irs and send it to the CRAs with a letter explaining that you have successfully completed this process and please delete the lien from your credit reports. I have heard from several people who have successfully done this so it is possible.

I filed 12277 in january. I got it back in feb saying I sent to the wrong address, i re sent it in and have been waiting about a month. Myis lien was for just over 5000 dollars. It was filed in 2006. I went on a payment plan and was released in june 2008. The lien was released that is not me lol. So I am coming up on 7 years either way. If I were you I would photocopy everything you got from the irs and send it to the CRAs with a letter explaining that you have successfully completed this process and please delete the lien from your credit reports. I have heard from several people who have successfully done this so it is possible.

Just as an FYI, you must send it to the address specified in IRS publication 4235.

Just as an FYI, you must send it to the address specified in IRS publication 4235.

Yes this is true. My mistake was I sent it to the office where the lien was filed against me initially. I should have filed it at the location closest to where I live now. My lien was filed in Cook County, Illinois and all the info on my credit reports is from cook county. However I needed to send the forms to my boston office which is the one closest to my location now. When I read the fine print this was clearly laid out for me in publication 4235. I had that publication initially but I did not read it well enough. Oh well. What is one month in the grand scheme of credit things? :)

So I am a year into my payment plan. It took them 6 months to put through my automatic debit. The IRS really is a mess.

I am 3 months into my payment plan and sent all the paperwork in.

I wonder how long this takes.

Well I went online at my local courthouse, (that's where the lien was filed), and found the IRS withdrawal form 10916-A. I had called the county recorder first and she gave me the number of the file and page and how to print out.

I sent all of my personal information along with the IRS withdrawal to Equifax and will see what happens. The only thing I worried about is that Equifax may want a certified copy from the courthouse of the form 10916-A.

I don't want to send anything to the other CRA'S until I see how this is handled by Equifax.

Thanks guys for all of your help. Will give you an update soon on what transpired.

Hmm.. It may save you time to just send all the info to the other CRAs immediately as well. I understand how you want to wait and see what happens with Equifax first. My lien is due to come off my CRAs in 8/2013 anyway so i am not too concerned. I havent heard back on it yet. I talked to another person who said that once his lien had been withdrawn by the IRS 1 CRA took it off immediately and one took it off once he disputed and the third he went back and forth with for like 3 months but they finally took it off. I think he said that hardest one to get it off of was TU.

Why did it take 3 months for the one credit agency ? Did he have the form 10916-A that the IRS would have sent him ?

Its funny after I sent the documents to Equifax which included the form 10916-A that I printed out from my local courthouse records, I got form 10916-A from the IRS.

The one I printed out gives the book and page number where the lien was filed so the CRA'S could look up if necessary to see the withdrawal. The IRS form 10916-A does NOT give that information.

Edited by Vettecor

I had a lien take a long time with one CRA and that's why I recommend giving them copies of the withdrawal as filed, or at the very least giving them the document / filing number.

IMO they essentially need you to provide an adequate investigation for them, because the odds that they will actually do one are pretty low. You essentially either have to establish proof for them or you have to badger them into conducting a reasonable reinvestigation. Both can take time.

YAY !!!!!!!!!!

The lien I had has COMPLETELY BEEN REMOVED from my Equifax Credit Report. They were the first CRA that I sent the information to about withdrawal of lien.

I am disappointed that my score did NOT change at all !!

Everything from filing the withdrawal of lien to the IRS to having the lien removed from Equifax only took about 5 weeks !! The majority of time taken was from the IRS.

Equifax was really quick. Took only 10 days to remove from my credit report.

Thanks guys for all of your help.

FAKO I guess. The score that Equifax supplies on your credit report is not FICO, correct ?

Once I get the lien removed from TransUnion and Experian I will check FICO.

Yay. I got a fat envelope from the IRS today. It had my form 10916 and copies of the letters that the IRS sent to the three CRAs. I mailed out my own letters with all the documentation I received from the IRS and now just have to wait. I also disputed my three reports again online. So the CRAs are going to hear three times about this. Hopefully, within a month or two, my lien will be gone from all three. I will report back then. The date that my lien was officially withdrawn was March 20th so we will see how long this ends up taking.

The IRS sent me copies of letters showing they had notified Equifax, TransUnion, and Experian about the withdrawal. But like you I sent my own letter along with documentation to the 3 CRA's regarding the withdrawal

I don't think the removal of the lien would happen with just the letter from the IRS.

Good. I hope it works. i am a bit concerned that I already disputed these items previously with the CRAs. I don't want my disputes flagged as frivolous. I feel confident now that the irs has approved my withdrawal that it will be indeed removed from my reports. I think this is more of an issue of making my reports look better than produce a jump in score. The lien was released in 2008 in my case so its residual effect on my FICO scores is not that big. However, it is a big black eye on my credit reports that anyone viewing them notices immediately. One report had my lien sceduled to be removed anyway on 8/13 but another said it would be there through jun 2016. My credit reports are relatively thin anyway so it may have an effect on my scores.

The form i received was form 10916 A btw. Which is notice of withdrawal of federal lien after release. I am hoping that it isn't going to be too many more hoops to jump through to get this off my reports. It has already been 2 months.

Just now checked my Equifax credit report. Its been 3 days since the lien was removed by Equifax from my credit report. My FACO score from Equifax has gone up a whopping 2 points !!

I don't know how a $10,000 lien can be completely REMOVED from my credit report and the score only goes up 2 points !!! Stupid scoring system.

Will check FICO after the other 2 CRA'S remove my lien.

The last post in this topic was posted 1411 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.