Sign in to follow this  
Mervynsb

New IRS Policy 04/02/2011

Maybe this is a stupid question, and I must admit that I have not read the entire nine pages of this thread in its entirety!! My husband has a federal tax lien that was released. We filed a withdrawal (Form 668Y at the end of January), but nothing has happened and we haven't received anything back from the IRS to this date. However, I just checked the county records online and they state that his withdrawal was filed 2/14/12 (IRS showing us some love on Valentine's Day - awww, how cute). The thing is that I can't view the document online. I can only access a case number, file number, and this very basic info. Still to this date, we have received nothing back from the IRS and this record hasn't yet been deleted (I even sent them a fax a couple of weeks ago and still nothing). The only thing we haven't done is called because my husband works odd hours and can't call himself and I doubt I'm going to do a great impersonation of him.

So, here's my question... what do we do now? Dispute with the CRAs? If yes, are they going to ask for some paperwork that we haven't received yet? I don't want to dispute this thing and then have them come back with "needing additional information", but I also don't want to sit around and wait for something from the IRS that we haven't received yet DURING TAX SEASON.

Thank you! And once again, sorry if this was an obvious question.

Call your county clerk or go down there and get a copy of the filed withdrawal. You should have gotten one by mail, but since you didn't, get a copy from the county. THEN, send a copy to each of the CRA with a request to remove it. That should be all you need to do. In my case EQ still has it on there. I'm still waiting on their response. If it is still on there, I'll look at what type of letter I need to write for them not following the law. But, that should get you what you need to dispute it without "needing additional information".

Okay, thank you a lot for your response. I was also thinking about just printing out the information I found online, but I don't know if the CRAs would consider that valid information. I also wonder if they will give me a copy of my husband's withdrawal - hope so! I would have thought that I would have received it by now, but I definitely did not as I have been checking my mail vigilantly ever since with 668Y was filed. Do you think it would be too risky to just do a dispute without any supporting paperwork? I know the CRAs are SUPPOSED to verify debts, but don't often do so. I guess I'm just hoping that a tax lien withdrawal would actually be investigated on their part. Wishful thinking?

If your husband can't get there to get it, I'd mail off for it then. I called my county clerk and they told me to send a self-addressed stamped envelope with $2/copy with my name & info and what I needed. So, if you call them, they'd probably tell you what you need to send and you could mail in for a copy. I'd wait for something official - make it as simple as possible for the CRA. Also, nice to have a copy anyway.

Just an update... I ran up to the courthouse today and picked up husband's tax lien withdrawal - four copies with stamped confirmation by the county and no charge. Easy as could be. I was in and out in under five minutes. Thanks again so much for your advice! I'm going to send the disputes off tomorrow. I figure it also might not hurt to fax a request to the IRS for them to update the CRAs as well. Attack 'em from both sides. Lol.

I wanted to thank everyone in this thread who posted tips, letter templates, etc. I had no idea that even though I am still paying on my 2006 taxes that I could get the lien off. I just spoke with the IRS the other day and she gave me the thumbs in for my tax situation and I have the proper forms from my local Deeds office and just make the cover letter and it is going out tomorrow in the mail. I want to buy a home sooo bad this year and with the help I am receiving on this board, it is gonna happen.

Thanks soooo much!!!

Bren

Just an update... I ran up to the courthouse today and picked up husband's tax lien withdrawal - four copies with stamped confirmation by the county and no charge. Easy as could be. I was in and out in under five minutes. Thanks again so much for your advice! I'm going to send the disputes off tomorrow. I figure it also might not hurt to fax a request to the IRS for them to update the CRAs as well. Attack 'em from both sides. Lol.

You should have no trouble getting it removed now (except for EQ). I'll probably have to send a second dispute with them.

The amout I owe is over 25K. I dont know if the IRS will release the lien or not, but Im going to give it a try.

Has anyone had one released over 25K?

Update: I got my letter from teh IRS stating that becasue of the amount I owe, they could not grant me a release. I called the number on the front of the letter and talked to them about the situation that I am in.

After explaining it to the lady I spoke with, she suggested I appeal. She gave me a fax number to send the appeal to and said the appeal council will look over it and be calling me within a week. Im keeping my fingers crossed

and will update when I talk to the appeal council.

I went through a lot of the posts before asking this question but has anyone been successful in having a lien removed while in a payment plan.

I called the IRS yesterday to ask and they told me they had no idea what I was talking about. They gave me the tax law phone number which does not even work.

I am in a payment plan now. I owe some big money, but under 25k. The lien on my credit report is from 2009 when I owed $3500 the rest is not even on my credit report.

This is the last negative item I have, and I am just under 700 score. So I am really interested in getting this taken care of.

I went through a lot of the posts before asking this question but has anyone been successful in having a lien removed while in a payment plan.

I called the IRS yesterday to ask and they told me they had no idea what I was talking about. They gave me the tax law phone number which does not even work.

I am in a payment plan now. I owe some big money, but under 25k. The lien on my credit report is from 2009 when I owed $3500 the rest is not even on my credit report.

This is the last negative item I have, and I am just under 700 score. So I am really interested in getting this taken care of.

The front line people won't know what you are talking about - I had the same experience.

There are a number of requirements that you can see here:

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=239095,00.html

To be eligible while in repayment, you have to owe less than $25000, you must have met all other requirements to file (you've filed your returns), and you must be in a direct debit installment agreement.

If you satisfy those criteria, actually getting the withdrawal is straight-forward but you need to follow the instructions precisely. So here is some help:

1) You have to file form 12277, "Application for Withdrawal...". Check the box that indicates you have entered into an installment agreement.

2) You have to file the notice at the correct address, as noted in IRS Publication 4235. If you send it to the wrong address it could delay you, or you might get no response at all.

Both of the forms above can be found on the IRS web site.

THIS IS IMPORTANT:

The IRS will not notify the credit reporting agencies of the withdrawal, nor will they necessarily send you a copy of the withdrawal (form 10916) unless you specifically request that they do so. In addition, they won't look up the proper mailing addresses - you must specifically request that they send the withdrawal to each CRA and you must give the correct address, and you must request a copy for your records.

I would suggest that you include a letter spelling all of this out, and clearly indicating that you are requesting a withdrawal under the terms of the fresh start program. I would suggest you include a copy of the relevant information from their own web site, as many IRS personnel seem to be unaware that this program exists. I will try to post an example of the letter I used.

Ok, here is the basic approach I followed with a lien.

First, in box 12 of form 12277 I put something like this:

The amount due is being paid under the terms of a direct debit installment agreement, and the balance due is less than $25000.

Pursuant to IRS policy as announced in IR-2011-20 (attached), the IRS has determined that withdrawing tax liens for amounts under $25000, when payment is being made within the bounds of a direct debit agreement, is in the best interest of the government and the taxpayer.

I request notification of withdrawal be sent to consumer credit reporting agencies at the addresses provided in my attached correspondence.

I also request that you provide a copy of the notice of withdrawal to me for future use as may be required.

I attached a letter in this style:

Month day, year

IRS

Technical Services Advisory Group Manager

Address from publication 4235

To Whom It May Concern,

Attached please find my completed and signed request for withdrawal of federal tax lien, serial number <your lien number>, for taxpayer ID (SSN) <your SSN>. The Original Date of Assessment was <date and year filed> for the tax periods ending <tax years>.

I have attached a copy of IRS newsroom publication IR-2011-20 dated 2/24/2011 in relation to the IRS’s new policy to withdraw tax liens under $25,000 when payment is being made under a direct debit installment agreement. I wish to participate in this offer and program effective immediately.

Enclosed please find my completed and signed IRS form 12277 and a copy of IR-2011-20.

Once my request has been reviewed and approved, please forward information regarding the withdrawal of this lien, and deletion of its record from my personal credit files, to the following credit reporting agencies:

Equifax Information Services

PO. Box 740256

Atlanta, GA 30374

TransUnion Customer Relations

PO. Box 2000

Chester, PA 19022

Experian

PO. Box 9701

Allen, TX. 75013

Please feel free to contact me if any further information is required in order to expedite this request, and also please provide me with a copy of the withdrawal notice so that I may retain it for my records. Thank you for your attention, assistance, and effort in this regard.

Sincerely,

Your name

Your phone number

you can find IR-2011-20 here:

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=236540,00.html

Good luck!

Hello Everyone ,

This being my first post and having read through the tax lien which I must say is awesome from the amount if info everyone put forth to help each other out clearing the lien's up GOOD WORK EVERYONE :)

I have a few questions about my lien ,

First off the lien is paid off 03/07/2012 and have received my Form 668(Z) The form has my personal lien as small business / self employed area 1 is this correct reporting by the IRS ?

I have done the disputes online with the CRA's Transunion which showed no Lien on their report sent me a email this morning TransUnion noted a change to your credit report. and has now added the tax lien to their report and like I had said this is a paid off lien .The info Transunion has put on the their report for the lien shows it correct so I called the number to their report to the tax office that reported ,got a number that this number is no longer in service ,If transunion has verified this info as being correct who did they call ?

I have filled out the Form 12277 and I am getting it ready to send out is it best to send to the CRA's also .

Thank you everyone for all the posts you have all made the info has not only opened up my eyes to credit but also an understanding on how to deal with the CRA's

Thanks a bunch ,

Matt-

Hello Everyone ,

This being my first post and having read through the tax lien which I must say is awesome from the amount if info everyone put forth to help each other out clearing the lien's up GOOD WORK EVERYONE :)

First off the lien is paid off 03/07/2012 and have received my Form 668(Z) The form has my personal lien as small business / self employed area 1 is this correct reporting by the IRS ?

I have done the disputes online with the CRA's Transunion which showed no Lien on their report sent me a email this morning TransUnion noted a change to your credit report. and has now added the tax lien to their report and like I had said this is a paid off lien .The info Transunion has put on the their report for the lien shows it correct so I called the number to their report to the tax office that reported ,got a number that this number is no longer in service ,If transunion has verified this info as being correct who did they call ?

I have filled out the Form 12277 and I am getting it ready to send out is it best to send to the CRA's also .

Thank you everyone for all the posts you have all made the info has not only opened up my eyes to credit but also an understanding on how to deal with the CRA's

Thanks a bunch ,

Matt-

Matt - eating my lunch and I noticed your post - let me see if I can help you out a little bit.

First let me make sure I have this straight: you have a paid off lien that wasn't previously reporting to TU. It sounds like you disputed the lien with the CRA's as released, with an expectation that they would delete the lien. Unfortunately, that's not how tax liens work - tax liens remain on your credit report for 7 years from the date they are paid, unless you specifically ask the IRS to withdraw them. A release is not the same thing as a withdrawal.

Ok if that is straight, take note of the following:

1) Form 668 is the notice of lien release; it is not a withdrawal. By disputing the liens on that basis, all you really did was instruct the CRA's to update the lien status to reflect that it has been paid and released. As I've noted, that does not remove the lien from your reports. So in the case of TU, you essentially notified them that you have a tax lien they weren't reporting. What they did sure sucks, but it was valid and appropriate of them to do.

2) Form 12277 is the form that you must fill out and send to the IRS asking them to withdraw the lien. There is no reason for you to send that to the CRA's, because they won't care at all that you asked the IRS for a withdrawal; they will only respond to a form 10916, which is what the IRS will send you after they approve your request to withdraw the lien. The IRS will file this form with the county recorder of your county (or wherever the lien was originally filed), and basically that filing is the only authoritative source of truth that the CRA's will accept. Many times, they will outright ignore documents you send them if they cannot independently verify them.

So what should you do?

Follow the steps I outlined above (a few messages back): File form 12277 with the IRS (at the appropriate address) asking them to withdraw the lien because it is paid. As I noted earlier, the correct address is noted in publication 4235. Be sure you ask them to give you a copy of form 10916, and to send one to each of the CRA's. You will actually need to give them the addresses because they won't look it up for you. What you are doing by following these steps is asking the IRS to withdraw the lien, and to notify the CRA's that they have done so.

It will take some time, but once you hear back from the IRS with an approval, watch your county clerk's records and your own mail. You want to make sure the county clerk records the withdrawal, and you are waiting to receive in your own mail a copy of form 10916, the notice of withdrawal. Chances are, by the time both of these happen, one or more of the national CRA's will have already removed the lien because they will also have received a copy of the withdrawal. TU seems very responsive to the notices that the IRS sends them, and Experian seems ok. I had a bad experience with EQ.

Once the withdrawal is recorded, and once you have received your copy of form 10916, then dispute the lien as withdrawn with each CRA that has not yet removed it. As I said, some will probably have already removed it at this point. Make your dispute in writing (not online) and make sure you give them a copy of form 10916. If possible, I would also suggest you tell them the document number the withdrawal is filed under with your county clerk, as they are very likely to seek to look it up rather than trust the document you send them. And all things being equal, no amount of hand-holding seems to be too much to help some of these agencies avoid making mistakes.

It may take a few months, but you should be able to get the lien withdrawn and then removed from your reports.

And regards to your question about the 'small business / self employed' thing, I've never understood that myself. It seems like that is where the lien unit is administratively located within the IRS - liens originate from there, and that's where they get released from. I wouldn't worry about it - every IRS lien I've ever seen came from that unit (although I admit I have't seen that many).

Good luck with this - it sounds daunting but isn't that bad, and contrary to what almost everyone you mention it to will tell you or believe, it will result in the lien being completely removed from your credit reports.

I'm happy to help in whatever way I can - take care. Gotta get back to work now.

Got my certificate of Release today.

Time to fill out, and send in, my Application for withdrawal.

Wish me luck.

You should have no trouble getting it removed now (except for EQ). I'll probably have to send a second dispute with them.

I have an update and a question: this was finally deleted off experian when I mailed the withdrawal. Yay! But not Equifax. Boo. How is one supposed to get this off Equifax? I would have thought this would have done the trick! What am I missing??

Is there anything similar with state tax lien, specifically NJ? A friend paid a lien and its listed as "released" on his report. Any way to get it removed? He disputed but it came back verified as "released"

I'm wondering about federal tax liens for which you're not the original debtor. It's a business tax lien and my old boss is responsible for the debt and on a payment plan. The IRS came after me on a secondary basis since I was the one to handle the accounts. When I met with them 6 years ago, they said they wouldn't come after me since I don't have assets or income. Yet a lien was filed. I was in ugrad and have now moved on to post-grad schooling. Still with no assets/income.

The lien is reporting as ~$150k. Last i checked, the actual balance is ~ $120k. This is the trust fund penalty associated with unpaid FICA tax.

I'd like input/your opinions on writing to have this released/withdrawn since it's hampering my credit & ability to finish school since I have problems getting student loans.

I sent in two withdrawal release requests, the first time I didn't fill out the form properly. This would have been in mid-March. I sent it in again on April 4th and was comprehensive and filled everything out right and the withdrawal was filed on April 24th with my county recorder. I have received nothing in the mail, so I am going to go to the courthouse and get it and forward to the CRAs.

Depending on which withdrawal form worked, the process either took 5 weeks or 20 days. I'm guessing it was the April 4th submission though, so 20 days more than likely.

Will update with how it goes with the CRAs.

Edited by redsfaithful

I sent in two withdrawal release requests, the first time I didn't fill out the form properly. This would have been in mid-March. I sent it in again on April 4th and was comprehensive and filled everything out right and the withdrawal was filed on April 24th with my county recorder. I have received nothing in the mail, so I am going to go to the courthouse and get it and forward to the CRAs.

Depending on which withdrawal form worked, the process either took 5 weeks or 20 days. I'm guessing it was the April 4th submission though, so 20 days more than likely.

Thanks for your answer. How did you find out it was filed with your county recorder. Did you receive something from the IRS?

Hello Everyone ,

Thanks a bunch ,

Matt-

I just got back my Form 10916© from the IRS for the withdrawal today :) Now to send it out to the CRA's , Thanks Everyone again :)

I'm wondering about federal tax liens for which you're not the original debtor. It's a business tax lien and my old boss is responsible for the debt and on a payment plan. The IRS came after me on a secondary basis since I was the one to handle the accounts. When I met with them 6 years ago, they said they wouldn't come after me since I don't have assets or income. Yet a lien was filed. I was in ugrad and have now moved on to post-grad schooling. Still with no assets/income.

The lien is reporting as ~$150k. Last i checked, the actual balance is ~ $120k. This is the trust fund penalty associated with unpaid FICA tax.

I'd like input/your opinions on writing to have this released/withdrawn since it's hampering my credit & ability to finish school since I have problems getting student loans.

Bump to see if anyone has experience with my type of situation?

Thanks for your answer. How did you find out it was filed with your county recorder. Did you receive something from the IRS?

I checked online with the county recorder. I actually did finally receive the paperwork in the mail yesterday though. I moved in January and it was sent to that previous address and then forwarded to me. So saves me a trip to the courthouse which is nice.

Hello Everyone ,

Thanks a bunch ,

Matt-

I just got back my Form 10916© from the IRS for the withdrawal today :) Now to send it out to the CRA's , Thanks Everyone again :)

If you haven't done so already, try to include the document number it is filed with at your county clerk or recorder's office; that will help make sure they actually look for it, rather than just ask Lexis-Nexis.

FYI, TU will probably delete on their own IF you asked the IRS to send them a copy.

Bump to see if anyone has experience with my type of situation?

Unfortunately, from everything I've read, the program is only for debts under $25000, and only applies to income tax liability unless the business is no longer a going concern. It sounds like for you, both of those criteria are unmet.

That said, I'm not sure you can be liable for the tax debt of the business unless you were a partner in it. Was the business incorporated? What type?

You might want to consult a tax attorney if you were not legally a partner or joint owner in the business, as that would make justifying a lien against you very difficult, and could mean the lien was filed in error. If you think about it, the precedent of holding an employee (e.g. non director or partner) of a firm liable for the firm's debts is very troubling, even if the firm wasn't a corporation (and even MORE so if it was), and it would be hard to make that stick in court, as far as I can see.

What was your role in the company's organization?

Hello Everyone ,

Thanks a bunch ,

Matt-

If you haven't done so already, try to include the document number it is filed with at your county clerk or recorder's office; that will help make sure they actually look for it, rather than just ask Lexis-Nexis.

FYI, TU will probably delete on their own IF you asked the IRS to send them a copy.

Thanks SomeGuyInCA,

I actually got a letter from the IRS with the letters stamped copy's that they sent to the CRA's , what should be my next course of action ? Wait 45 days and pull my report again ?

Thanks,

Matt-

Hello Everyone ,

Thanks a bunch ,

Matt-

Thanks SomeGuyInCA,

I actually got a letter from the IRS with the letters stamped copy's that they sent to the CRA's , what should be my next course of action ? Wait 45 days and pull my report again ?

Thanks,

Matt-

I'm quite skeptical regarding the likelihood that all of the major CRA's will delete based on the letter they have received from the IRS; by most accounts I have seen, they tend to ignore such documentation in its entirety. I found that TransUnion reacted to the IRS without any intervention on my part, but that was not the case with the other two.

If it were me, I would do the following:

1) I would check with my county recorder to make sure that the withdrawals are recorded. Recorded in this instance means 'the withdrawal document has been received and filed'. It takes some recorders weeks to actually 'record' a withdrawal, and prior to that point a search for the withdrawal will turn up nothing with them. Repeat step 1 until the withdrawal(s) is / are actually filed.

2) Obtain the filing number(s) of the lien withdrawal(s) for the county records; this is the document number under which the county has filed the withdrawals.

3) Check your reports to find out who has not removed the liens already.

4) Draft a dispute letter to each of the CRA's who are still reporting at the time. Make sure you:

A - Include a copy of the withdrawal

B - Include a cover letter explaining that the lien(s) is / are withdrawn, and demanding deletion

C - Make sure you mention that the withdrawal was already filed with the county recorder, and include the document number of that filing.

D - Send all CMRRR to each offending CRA.

That will probably do the trick.

Edited by SomeGuyInCA

So I sent in documentation from the IRS saying the liens had been withdrawn as well as the case information from my County Recorder's office. TransUnion and Experian deleted it no problem, while Equifax verified the liens. Clearly this must have been automated? If they had checked online or read the documentation provided from the IRS they would have deleted like the other two CRA's, no?

Does anyone know what my next step would be? I'm really super irritated right now.