Sign in to follow this  
Mervynsb

New IRS Policy 04/02/2011

There's such good news here. And congrats to everyone who has achieved this!

Can anyone confirm either of the following:

1) Have you had a lien withdrawn that was originally over $25k?, and

2) have you had a lien withdrawn which was satisfied through an Offer in Compromise with the IRS? That is, did you pay less than the original lien amount, but have the IRS accept your payments, and then - now - had that lien withdrawn?

I ask because that's my situation, and I don't know if this is going to work for me. It would be great to know that this policy applies to large liens and to liens settled through an OIC.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer relevant knowledge.

I can confirm situation #2. Dh had a lien that was settled by OIC a few years ago, and was able to get it withdrawn. I just filled out the form and mailed it with a letter and a copy of the release.

Also, it seems states may not be too far behind in allowing the withdrawl of paid liens, just found this article from May for California:

Wyland Legislation to Help Taxpayers and Small Businesses Advances

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: May 11, 2011

SACRAMENTO, CA— Today, legislation authored by State Senator Mark Wyland (R-Carlsbad) and sponsored by Board of Equalization Member George Runner unanimously passed the Senate Governance and Finance Committee with bipartisan support.

Senate Bill 228 would allow the State Board of Equalization, the Franchise Tax Board or the State Controller to withdraw paid tax liens.

Under current law, California’s tax agencies can place a lien on a taxpayer’s property when the taxpayer is unable to fulfill their tax liability. The same taxing authorities can release a lien when a taxpayer pays off their outstanding obligation along with any additional interest and assessed late fees. However, a withdrawal is needed to remove the lien. Tax agencies do not have the statutory authority necessary to withdraw a tax lien, even if it was filed in error. Without a withdrawal, the lien affect a taxpayer’s credit score for up to ten years.

“It is difficult for an individual or business to get a loan if their credit report shows a tax lien. As a former small business owner, I know how important it is to be able to secure a line of credit.” said Wyland.

SB 228 would conform California’s tax lien withdrawal procedures to the federal procedures implemented by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) 10 years ago.

“During this difficult economic time, we need to do everything we can to help businesses get a fresh start. This is a pro-consumer, pro- small business bill that will help thousands of Californians,” Wyland said.

I saw bill this six weeks ago in Googling "tax liens" and then could not find anything much about the bill after the date of the article you cite. So I called State Senator Wyland's office to see what the status was. (I am a California resident although he is not my Senator) A member of his staff told me that the bill died in committee in June. I don't have the link but I read a study of the bill by the "CBO like" office of the CA Senate online. It basically says the CA Franchise Tax Board was against it essentially because they see the tax lien staying on your CR as a "club" (my word) to make people pay there tax. They seem to believe that if people know they can get the lien removed before the 7 years are up, they will NOT pay their taxes in a timely manner. I think that they are wrong, I think that people would pay inn a MORE timely manner back taxes etc if they thought they could be free and clear lien wise... One more thing, I did give Wyland's staff member my email since they said might try again next year. I told them if more people had known about this bill, they might have helped out by sending support (emails, letters, phone calls) to Senators who were on the fence. (hello fellow CB'ers) So as they say, "wait until next year"!!!!

I saw bill this six weeks ago in Googling "tax liens" and then could not find anything much about the bill after the date of the article you cite. So I called State Senator Wyland's office to see what the status was. (I am a California resident although he is not my Senator) A member of his staff told me that the bill died in committee in June. I don't have the link but I read a study of the bill by the "CBO like" office of the CA Senate online. It basically says the CA Franchise Tax Board was against it essentially because they see the tax lien staying on your CR as a "club" (my word) to make people pay there tax. They seem to believe that if people know they can get the lien removed before the 7 years are up, they will NOT pay their taxes in a timely manner. I think that they are wrong, I think that people would pay inn a MORE timely manner back taxes etc if they thought they could be free and clear lien wise... One more thing, I did give Wyland's staff member my email since they said might try again next year. I told them if more people had known about this bill, they might have helped out by sending support (emails, letters, phone calls) to Senators who were on the fence. (hello fellow CB'ers) So as they say, "wait until next year"!!!!

Why don't you start a California thread, since this thread is about the IRS. State and federal taxes are completely different, and for people popping in here to get info on IRS rules, finding state rules is going to be too confusing.

I got my request sent in today for my IRS lien. I will let you know how it goes sending it to the IRS office here in Oakland. Crossing my fingers.

My notice back from the IRS stating that lien was being removed was dated July 9th, so it took less than 3 weeks. I was out of town, so I just picked up the mail. Now I need to get this removed from the CRAs. I wonder if it is best to dispute by sending the IRS letter or just say that I dont have a lien and let the CRA wrack up violations for a future use.

Hi,

I sent all my CRA's copies of the IRS letter (CMRRR) after verifying with courthouse that the lien has been withdrawn. All three CRA's have received the letter since 7/25 and now we wait.... Will update soon (i hope)

Update - according to USAA - EX and TU have deleted the TAX Lien (TU first then EX) - EQ still showing.

Bad thing - absolutely no change in FACO score :sorry:

I feel better anyway!

I got my request sent in today for my IRS lien. I will let you know how it goes sending it to the IRS office here in Oakland. Crossing my fingers.

My notice back from the IRS stating that lien was being removed was dated July 9th, so it took less than 3 weeks. I was out of town, so I just picked up the mail. Now I need to get this removed from the CRAs. I wonder if it is best to dispute by sending the IRS letter or just say that I dont have a lien and let the CRA wrack up violations for a future use.

Hi,

I sent all my CRA's copies of the IRS letter (CMRRR) after verifying with courthouse that the lien has been withdrawn. All three CRA's have received the letter since 7/25 and now we wait.... Will update soon (i hope)

Update - according to USAA - EX and TU have deleted the TAX Lien (TU first then EX) - EQ still showing.

I feel better anyway!

Way to go. I will be able to check with my courthouse tomorrow - if its gone, I will be sending off my letter as well. What did you put in your letter when you disputed it?

Hi,

I feel better anyway!

Way to go. I will be able to check with my courthouse tomorrow - if its gone, I will be sending off my letter as well. What did you put in your letter when you disputed it?

Just sent the letter from the IRS and requested that they delete the entry .

CRA address

To whom it may concern,

My name is Texasbubba50, my SS # is xxx-xx-xxxx.

Please be advised that the IRS has issued form 10916© – Withdrawal of filed Notice of Tax Lien datedJune 30th, 2011.

Attached please find the respective form that was mailed to youroffice by the IRS on July 14, 2011 and I respectfully request that the entry inyour system be deleted.

Your reference number is 11848.

Your immediate and urgent attention will be greatly appreciated.

Very truly yours,

Congrats on your progress!!!

We are about on the same timeline. I saw your post today and:

1- Saw that I got an email from EQ saying they are reinvestigating my dispute. I think the RE part of investigation is because I disputed this lien last year since it was not showing as paid. I cannot recall having read about anyone else having a withdrawal letter treated as a dispute. Not liking this but we will see I suppose....

2- Checked EX, still showing as before...

3- Checked TU, REMOVED FROM MY REPORT YESSS!!!!!!!

One down two to go, I need to go back and reread all my notes about the removal by the CRA's.

So this still does not help state tax liens/judgments? THanks.

That is correct. There are many old (and not so old) threads on state liens/warrants/ judgements and how you might get them removed or withdrawn from your CR's here on CB.

The new IRS policy is ONLY TO DO with Federal Tax Liens. State Liens have NOTHING to do with the IRS and their new and or old policies.

Thanks Montanarice - I sent out the form and required documents on July 26th to the Boston office. That took care of one paid lien. Now I have a small one for 2008 that I will do the same. My wife and I are married and filed jointly. So, both liens showed up on our respective credit reports. Funny, how each CRA is different. Even with a paid status only on one of the liens (the other one got paid a few months after) EQ and EXP showed no public records?? TU showed only the one paid lien. My wife had no such luck. All three CRAs are showing at least one of them.

ArtVandelay421

I live in MA too at the other end (Western MA). The IRS just released another press release Monday in relation to loosening up their restrictions on spousal innocence regulations. I think in general they are starting to come around to what everyone else sees as common sense: take care of your obligations and be given the opportunity for a fresh start. If the liens wer ejust in your name they shouldn't be appearing on her public info section of her credit report: if they were in her name as well then the IRS withdrawl should have her name as well which should help clear things up.

If all else fails, I had 2 friends I was helping to clear up their liens too in MA and they ran into some trouble with Equifax. All EQ was doing was confirming that there was a lien and they did see it was paid off, but they didn't research enough to see the withdrawl too and read it. Even though it goes against the credo to never talk on the phone to CRA's, each called and eventually got to a manager and sat on the phone while they had the manager go on the internet to the MA Registry of Deeds website where all these documents are public information free to the public. Once the manager saw the withdrawls they authorized the releases right there and corrective letters went out the same week. If it comes to that just be sure to verse yourself on the Registry website for your county, as these managers won't have the time or patientce to try to navigate through the sites themselves.

Good luck!

PS by the way here's the latest IRS press release on spousal innocence: http://www.irs.gov/n...=242867,00.html

My creditkarma score recently reflected the fact that my tax lien has been withdrawn. My score went from 681 to 765...just 4 points below where it was when the lien thing started.

Im glad to have put it behind me.

Interstingly, I happen to get my paperwork in the mail from the IRS the day after I posted this. On 7/9.

It said they mailed the 10916 to my local recording office. My FACO score has not improved yet. Was wondering if I should just wait or go ahead and contact the bureaus & dispute it ?

Would like my score to impove ASAP.

I am new here...my first post....

But I have had direct experience with a tax lien. In Nov, the IRS, without notification, hit me with a very large tax lien and wiped out 2 bank accounts.

That was JUST what I needed to get my butt in gear and file my back taxes. I got with a CPA and we did that...it took a few months and we filed some kind of appeal in the meantime to keep them from coming after other assets.

Now, Im all caught up and the tax lien has been released. About a month ago, I sent a request form to the IRS asking that they WITHDRAW it per the new regulation.

So far, I dont think they have and I have not heard back from them on it.

Note, I did not send a letter, just the form and I couldnt find a copy of the lien so I did not include it.

I have been keeping up with my fake credit score via Credit Karma.since May 2008.

My score before the tax lien was 769. It dropped all the way to 681 after the tax lien.And about a month ago, I presume when the release hit my report, it rebounded 11 points to 692. That was a disappointment as I was hoping it would rebound at least half.

Anyway, Im hoping that in the next few months it all gets taken care of any my report gets clean of this mess.

I am in good shape financially so I really have no need for great credit but I like keeping up with it nonetheless.

My house is paid for and I have no need for credit. Already have several rewards cards.

Im WAY too tight to ever pay for a real fico score. I get my fake ones from CK, Quizzle & now Credit Sesame.

I did not ask the IRS to contact the credit reporting agencies. I guess I should send a new letter in over that.

My plan was to give them another month or so and then if its not removed, despite it.

My creditkarma score recently reflected the fact that my tax lien has been withdrawn. My score went from 681 to 765...just 4 points below where it was when the lien thing started.

Im glad to have put it behind me.

Interstingly, I happen to get my paperwork in the mail from the IRS the day after I posted this. On 7/9.

It said they mailed the 10916 to my local recording office. My FACO score has not improved yet. Was wondering if I should just wait or go ahead and contact the bureaus & dispute it ?

Would like my score to impove ASAP.

I am new here...my first post....

But I have had direct experience with a tax lien. In Nov, the IRS, without notification, hit me with a very large tax lien and wiped out 2 bank accounts.

That was JUST what I needed to get my butt in gear and file my back taxes. I got with a CPA and we did that...it took a few months and we filed some kind of appeal in the meantime to keep them from coming after other assets.

Now, Im all caught up and the tax lien has been released. About a month ago, I sent a request form to the IRS asking that they WITHDRAW it per the new regulation.

So far, I dont think they have and I have not heard back from them on it.

Note, I did not send a letter, just the form and I couldnt find a copy of the lien so I did not include it.

I have been keeping up with my fake credit score via Credit Karma.since May 2008.

My score before the tax lien was 769. It dropped all the way to 681 after the tax lien.And about a month ago, I presume when the release hit my report, it rebounded 11 points to 692. That was a disappointment as I was hoping it would rebound at least half.

Anyway, Im hoping that in the next few months it all gets taken care of any my report gets clean of this mess.

I am in good shape financially so I really have no need for great credit but I like keeping up with it nonetheless.

My house is paid for and I have no need for credit. Already have several rewards cards.

Im WAY too tight to ever pay for a real fico score. I get my fake ones from CK, Quizzle & now Credit Sesame.

I did not ask the IRS to contact the credit reporting agencies. I guess I should send a new letter in over that.

My plan was to give them another month or so and then if its not removed, despite it.

Congrats. The IRS policy change was one big gift to a lot of us and I think a reasonable one for them as well.

I was in a similar boat and it kicked my butt into gear. I paid it and filed all my returns. I had actually overpaid but the complexity of the return was such that I had put it off for years. Spent two weeks getting the info collated. I had thought the lien would ding my credit until 2014 unti this notice came out. right now I'm in the process fixing a mortgage that I co-own which makes new credit apps look fraudulent. I don't and haven't lived at the mortgage address. That'll be fixed in the next week and then I'll pound on GMAC to close the account with zero balance.

Never would have been aware of or understood this stuff without the great info on CB.

1- Saw that I got an email from EQ saying they are reinvestigating my dispute. I think the RE part of investigation is because I disputed this lien last year since it was not showing as paid. I cannot recall having read about anyone else having a withdrawal letter treated as a dispute. Not liking this but we will see I suppose....

One down two to go, I need to go back and reread all my notes about the removal by the CRA's.

Got two letters snail mail today. One from TU officially telling me the IRS lien has been removed from my CR. The other was from Experian saying essentially that my CM written request which contained the IRS withdrawal letter with the IRS cover letter and my handwritten letter saying all the usual stuff--- was not enough for them to believe that it was really me asking them to do this. So they want me to send to them: (I already did it late this afternoon) copy of DL, utility bill, and SS card and one other, I sent property tax bill. The work was blocking out some of the info during making copies so they don't have a nice identity theft package of me. Whatever... Everyone says they are jerks anyway and its cool. I have read about this ID request here on CB before; made 2 copies so now I have all these docs in one place (the safe) good to go if need be again for another occasion with them or there friends. So I guess they will get my 2nd CM letter early next week thus starting the clock. (again)

Hi,

I feel better anyway!

The lien has been removed from EX and TU as of this morning - EQ is still showing. The funny thing is that I only disputed with EX/EQ since I had another dispute with TU going. I wonder if TU got the update from the IRS and actually processed it.

Got two letters snail mail today. One from TU officially telling me the IRS lien has been removed from my CR. The other was from Experian saying essentially that my CM written request which contained the IRS withdrawal letter with the IRS cover letter and my handwritten letter saying all the usual stuff--- was not enough for them to believe that it was really me asking them to do this. So they want me to send to them: (I already did it late this afternoon) copy of DL, utility bill, and SS card and one other, I sent property tax bill. The work was blocking out some of the info during making copies so they don't have a nice identity theft package of me. Whatever... Everyone says they are jerks anyway and its cool. I have read about this ID request here on CB before; made 2 copies so now I have all these docs in one place (the safe) good to go if need be again for another occasion with them or there friends. So I guess they will get my 2nd CM letter early next week thus starting the clock. (again)

Checked my EQ tonight and MY IRS LIEN is gone. They had me in "dispute process" since I sent them my IRS withdrawal letter/form. TU removed it first a week ago. Then EX sent me a letter saying that they did not believe that it was me asking for them to delete the IRS lien from my CR. (I guess there is a lot of that going around???) So I sent them the ID blah blah... They should get it Tuesday so hopefully next week it could be gone from all reports!!!

Checked my EQ tonight and MY IRS LIEN is gone. They had me in "dispute process" since I sent them my IRS withdrawal letter/form. TU removed it first a week ago. Then EX sent me a letter saying that they did not believe that it was me asking for them to delete the IRS lien from my CR. (I guess there is a lot of that going around???) So I sent them the ID blah blah... They should get it Tuesday so hopefully next week it could be gone from all reports!!!

Congrats -- did your score change?

Congrats -- did your score change?

NOT on my TU FAKO and NOT on my EQ FAKO.... As they say, if the lien(s) are over 3 to 4 years they matter less on your score. I think the big thing is less the score and more the NOT having the PUBLIC RECORD on your CR. I have read that lenders hate these liens, paid or unpaid so just removing them will be better for you. I hope that a rise in my scores will happen when I do my FICO scores in a month or so, after some more cleanup on my part. I have read that some peoples scores have risen so as they say YMMV...

Hi,

I feel better anyway!

The lien has been removed from EX and TU as of this morning - EQ is still showing. The funny thing is that I only disputed with EX/EQ since I had another dispute with TU going. I wonder if TU got the update from the IRS and actually processed it.

Yesterday, EQ was showing it in dispute. Today it is gone. This certainly was a painless way to get rid of the lien and took about 6 weeks total for all 3 reports.

Most of my FAKO scores (Score+, Vantage) were/are not impacted by an 5 y/o tax lien but were impacted by now gone utility CAs. I'm actually at percentiles (the only way to compare FAKOs) of between 90 and 98% after the CAs dropped off. However, FICO was impacted a lot with FICOs coming in at around 48% (700 - 720). I've withdrawn the lien but did not request CRA notification. Just for kicks I'm going to play with them one at a time to see what info I can discern from it. I'm also buying a mortgage I cosigned which will get better interest than the bank and show a paid mortgage on my CR. Right now it's a yellow/red flag for new apps (except for Cap One) and I am curious about how that will impact things. I don't need additional credit at this time but after playing with this I'll apply for a Cap One for the zero FX fees then, after a 1.7 y/o Cental Credit Inq drops apply for Amex for the backdating. If I'm doing this right I should see >800 FICOs by November.

The IRS policy change was a sweet gift.

First Post. Just thought I would post my results.

Had a IRS Lein since 2003. Released in 2008 but still on Equifax and Exp. Sent a letter the middle of May requesting a withdrawal. Sent to St. Louis as that is my area.

Got a call from Minnesota IRS office just to follow up. Was not sure how to do but understood what I was wanting. He sent me a copy of the withdrawal. I filed with the local courthouse.

I disputed with Equifax and Exp. So far, Experian has deleted. Waiting on Equifax.

Congrats! Is that timeline about normal (2 months?) -- just wondering as I am reaching the one month timeline and was wondering if I should send a followup letter???

Thanks!

That's my question also... You sent your letter in the middle of May, how long did it take the MN IRS office to call you??? How long was it between that phone call from the MN IRS office and when you received the copy of the withdrawal in the mail??? When did you start the dispute with Equifax and Experian? How long did Experian take to delete it??? Did you send them a copy of the IRS withdrawal??? Did you actually ask them (the IRS) to notify the CRA's about the withdrawal??? Thanks for the help!!!

And congrats on getting the job done!!!!

They called me about 3 weeks after I mailed it out.. From that he needed to check on some things. 2 weeks after that, called and let me know that it would be another week but couldn't figure out how to get the paperwork through the automated system. However he could send me the withdrawal in the mail if I wanted to file myself. My thinking was get the paperwork in my hands so I could file and have a copy in my hands. I agreed and I had in my hands in a week.

I filed it with the register of the county 2 days after I received. After that, I did a dispute with Experian saying it was withdrawn, with the date and filing number. Took a month but they deleted.

Now waiting on Equifax. Not showing on TransUnion.

I should say that he said he would file the letters with the credit bureaus but I don't have a paper trail on that. Figured I would do myself. Took some time but I now have the actual withdrawl in my hand and can just dispute from there.

BTW, Experian scores, at least FAKO went up 70 points. In the 700's now.

Just an update. Equifax just deleted. Ran my 3 in 1 reports today. There yesterday, gone today. Off all 3. Also at the same time, thought I would try to have a small state one removed. Disputed as not mine. It is gone as well.

So no public records on any of my reports. Took awhile but I am satisfied.

First Post. Just thought I would post my results.

Had a IRS Lein since 2003. Released in 2008 but still on Equifax and Exp. Sent a letter the middle of May requesting a withdrawal. Sent to St. Louis as that is my area.

Got a call from Minnesota IRS office just to follow up. Was not sure how to do but understood what I was wanting. He sent me a copy of the withdrawal. I filed with the local courthouse.

I disputed with Equifax and Exp. So far, Experian has deleted. Waiting on Equifax.

Congrats! Is that timeline about normal (2 months?) -- just wondering as I am reaching the one month timeline and was wondering if I should send a followup letter???

Thanks!

That's my question also... You sent your letter in the middle of May, how long did it take the MN IRS office to call you??? How long was it between that phone call from the MN IRS office and when you received the copy of the withdrawal in the mail??? When did you start the dispute with Equifax and Experian? How long did Experian take to delete it??? Did you send them a copy of the IRS withdrawal??? Did you actually ask them (the IRS) to notify the CRA's about the withdrawal??? Thanks for the help!!!

And congrats on getting the job done!!!!

They called me about 3 weeks after I mailed it out.. From that he needed to check on some things. 2 weeks after that, called and let me know that it would be another week but couldn't figure out how to get the paperwork through the automated system. However he could send me the withdrawal in the mail if I wanted to file myself. My thinking was get the paperwork in my hands so I could file and have a copy in my hands. I agreed and I had in my hands in a week.

I filed it with the register of the county 2 days after I received. After that, I did a dispute with Experian saying it was withdrawn, with the date and filing number. Took a month but they deleted.

Now waiting on Equifax. Not showing on TransUnion.

I should say that he said he would file the letters with the credit bureaus but I don't have a paper trail on that. Figured I would do myself. Took some time but I now have the actual withdrawl in my hand and can just dispute from there.

BTW, Experian scores, at least FAKO went up 70 points. In the 700's now.

Just an update. Equifax just deleted. Ran my 3 in 1 reports today. There yesterday, gone today. Off all 3. Also at the same time, thought I would try to have a small state one removed. Disputed as not mine. It is gone as well.

So no public records on any of my reports. Took awhile but I am satisfied.

I am still waiting for movement from EX, they just got my second request with additional ID proving its really me asking to remove this IRS lien. (because there is so many people pretending to be someone else, asking to clean a CR!!!!????) Anyway, EX got my second letter 5 days ago so i hope that by the end of next week we have a result....

TU and EQ did the right thing already. As some said above, the IRS did give us a nice gift with this new policy...

I'm starting to get a bit impatient as I haven't heard anything in about 30 days since I've mailed the request. Sent 2 actually and 1 certified just to ensure it got there and it did. Anyone else had to wait more than 30 days to hear back from the IRS?

I'm starting to get a bit impatient as I haven't heard anything in about 30 days since I've mailed the request. Sent 2 actually and 1 certified just to ensure it got there and it did. Anyone else had to wait more than 30 days to hear back from the IRS?

Most but not all seem to be less than 30 days, You will probably get them this week. I think when you look up the address for your particular region to mail your request to the IRS, there is also a telephone number you could call and ask.

I am still waiting for a response from EX after they wanted the DL, SS# and utility bill blah blah, they have had the docs for a week now, hope that this is a good week for the two of us!!!

Most but not all seem to be less than 30 days, You will probably get them this week. I think when you look up the address for your particular region to mail your request to the IRS, there is also a telephone number you could call and ask.

I am still waiting for a response from EX after they wanted the DL, SS# and utility bill blah blah, they have had the docs for a week now, hope that this is a good week for the two of us!!!

I did find the number and will call them first thing in the morning! Thanks and Let's hope for the best. Keep me updated with your progress!

I did find the number and will call them first thing in the morning! Thanks and Let's hope for the best. Keep me updated with your progress!

Roger that!!!