Sign in to follow this  
JR81

WTF Macy's

Compliance? Seriously? Management changes needed at Macy's.

Hmm, not sure if that is going to happen anytime soon. Operating income in 2010, just reported recently, was higher than it has been in a long, long, time. :search:

Unfortunately Economics doesnt work like credit scores. It isnt just one number that counts:) And that also means there are plenty more things to consider other than the numbers I post here.

There are many things that go into a company's success. If I had 5 employees yielding a net operating income of 200,000 a year and the next year my operating income was 500,000 you cannot say I am a successful business by that information alone. What If it took hiring of 100 additional employees to achieve this? I have lowered my efficiency and (possibly) my ability to earn the maximum amount of dollars per investor.

MANAGEMENT EFFICIENCY RATIOS

........................MACYS......INDUSTRY

Income/Employee.........5,102.......10,894

Revenue/Employee......150,621......206,906

Receivable Turnover......66.7........155.4

Inventory Turnover........3.2..........6.9

Asset Turnover............1.2..........1.9

:wacko:

Ultimately what counts is the amount of that money each investor gets as return.

........................Macy's.......Industry

Return On Equity..........16.6.........19.6

Return On Assets...........4.0.........10.1

Return On Capital..........5.2.........14.2

Gross Margin..............40.7.........28.1

Pre-Tax Margin.............5.3..........7.3

Net Profit Margin..........3.4..........4.9

While Macy's falls behind the industry average in nearly all of these categorys, it seems like management effiency is the glaring stepchild here to me. Fixing that could possiblyly make up the 3% lacked from the industry average for investors return on equity.

My recommendation, replacing the management might not be a bad idea? I dont care what their card policies are as I am no longer a customer there! But it is clear that the Macys receivable turnover is horridly below par with the industry, maybe this new policy is aimed directly to fix that! Hopefully this will increase the customers ROI. Good luck to you Macy's!

Good luck to you also Settle! IT IS great to see that there is someone on the *DARK* side that cares, and works hard to take care of the customers.

Edited by drhodesumr

This makes me want to go down to Macy's and try to buy this with a new app at the register: :P

http://www1.macys.co...3D1%26spc%3D708

Ill sponsor your trip with my NEW AND IMPROVED "NO LIMIT" Macy's card. As long as you promise to videotape it.

That particular card is only usable at Macy's stores, and online on our web site, so your gift will keep Bob Wang busy in N. America and Guam.... :dance:

Unfortunately Economics doesnt work like credit scores. It isnt just one number that counts:) And that also means there are plenty more things to consider other than the numbers I post here.

There are many things that go into a company's success. If I had 5 employees yielding a net operating income of 200,000 a year and the next year my operating income was 500,000 you cannot say I am a successful business by that information alone. What If it took hiring of 100 additional employees to achieve this? I have lowered my efficiency and (possibly) my ability to earn the maximum amount of dollars per investor.

MANAGEMENT EFFICIENCY RATIOS

MACYS INDUSTRY

Income/Employee 5,102 10,894

Revenue/Employee 150,621 206,906

Receivable Turnover 66.7 155.4

Inventory Turnover 3.2 6.9

Asset Turnover 1.2 1.9

:wacko:

Ultimately what counts is the amount of that money each investor gets as return.

% Macy's Industry

Return On Equity 16.6 19.6

Return On Assets 4.0 10.1

Return On Capital 5.2 14.2

Gross Margin 40.7 28.1

Pre-Tax Margin 5.3 7.3

Net Profit Margin 3.4 4.9

What am I missing? 150 years in business. We started our business at the time of the Civil War. We have been serving US residents for 150 years, we have 20 million credit accounts, and we just finished our most profitable year in a decade.

What am I missing? :sorry:

What am I missing? 150 years in business. We started our business at the time of the Civil War. We have been serving US residents for 150 years, we have 20 million credit accounts, and we just finished our most profitable year in a decade.

What am I missing? :sorry:

Those things are all well and good. Nice warm fuzzys. But I am just saying that you commented that the reason management didnt need changed was because of how "great" macys was doing. I am showing that management wise...they vastly underperform compared to others in the department store industry. And also that a huge increase in operating income doesnt indicate Macys is doing "better" this year...compared to any other year. There are just other things to consider.

Those things are all well and good. Nice warm fuzzys. But I am just saying that you commented that the reason management didnt need changed was because of how "great" macys was doing. I am showing that management wise...they vastly underperform compared to others in the department store industry. And also that a huge increase in operating income doesnt indicate Macys is doing "better" this year...compared to any other year. There are just other things to consider.

That's not what I said at all. We have jumped in this thread from a temporary credit card change to this? Please. :warning:

Compliance? Seriously? Management changes needed at Macy's.

Hmm, not sure if that is going to happen anytime soon. Operating income in 2010, just reported recently, was higher than it has been in a long, long, time. :search:

Here. Im out. Seriosly though I do appreciate you taking time here. So I wont take up any more of it. Also its only been a temporary change since this afternoon. :)

New policy changes coming in a few weeks equates to: they screwed up big time, got a ton of pushback, and are now scrambling to figure out what to do next. (Ideally, it will be more customer-friendly than the current, new policy--at least one can hope.)

Suggest upper management changes at Macys. As drhodesumr has posted, Macy's seriously underperforms its industry peers. At some point, that will not be OK with the shareholders, nor the board of directors.

Of course, it's possible that even better management will not be able to bring Macy's up to industry performance averages, let alone exceed them...

RCJ

Settle when you say new changes are you hinting things may go back to the way they were? Also what happens to the club account if it doesn't? Do I still have two lines of credit or just one now (you must of missed that question)

One of the thins that makes this truly maddening for a lot of people is the card used to be a credit card. We KNOW what that is, but

now we don't know what a Macy's store account is any longer:

1) Credit Card -- Not anymore, it is a moving target!

2) Debit Card --Not this either, since you KNOW what your balance and available is

3) Discount card - at times, yes. With the new Macy's Loyalty program, you get rewards with all payment methods

Having to call in each time you use it is not fun. I apologize for the stress this is causing for you all. I know it is mystifying, at best. :swoon:

This thread is pretty interesting. There is still, however, something that just doesn't seem logical.

As far as I know, there are still fixed -- in as much as anything can be considered "fixed" these days -- credit limits on the Macy's AmEx, right? So, taking an example I read about on another forum, what happens when you use your Macy's AmEx on a Macy's store purchase? That purchase is, within a few days, automatically posted to your Macy's store card and removed from your AmEx account. Now, I am not sure why they do that, but the fact is that's the way it works.

So I have a Macy's AmEx with a $2k limit and I buy, for example, a computer at Macy's for $2k. That charge will get posted, ultimately, to my store account. Doesn't that mean my store account limit is at least as large as my Macy's AmEx limit? Since they do not tell us our store account limits anymore, when that $2k purchase hits the store account after a few days there is no way on Earth they can hit me with an overlimit fee.

Am I missing anything here?

This thread is pretty interesting. There is still, however, something that just doesn't seem logical.

As far as I know, there are still fixed -- in as much as anything can be considered "fixed" these days -- credit limits on the Macy's AmEx, right? So, taking an example I read about on another forum, what happens when you use your Macy's AmEx on a Macy's store purchase? That purchase is, within a few days, automatically posted to your Macy's store card and removed from your AmEx account. Now, I am not sure why they do that, but the fact is that's the way it works.

So I have a Macy's AmEx with a $2k limit and I buy, for example, a computer at Macy's for $2k. That charge will get posted, ultimately, to my store account. Doesn't that mean my store account limit is at least as large as my Macy's AmEx limit? Since they do not tell us our store account limits anymore, when that $2k purchase hits the store account after a few days there is no way on Earth they can hit me with an overlimit fee.

100% of these posts are discussing Macy's store accounts. They are separate from and completely different from our AMEX accounts. All of our AMEX accounts have true limits.

Your Macy's AMEX account is a separate account from your store account. When you are standing in a Macy's store and swipe your Macy's AMEX card, you are using a second, separate, account, the store account buried inside the AMEX card.

Let me know if you have additional questions, sorry if this caused any confusion.

100% of these posts are discussing Macy's store accounts. They are separate from and completely different from our AMEX accounts. All of our AMEX accounts have true limits.

Your Macy's AMEX account is a separate account from your store account. When you are standing in a Macy's store and swipe your Macy's AMEX card, you are using a second, separate, account, the store account buried inside the AMEX card.

Let me know if you have additional questions, sorry if this caused any confusion.

Right, I understand.

What I mean is that if you have a store card and a Macy's AmEx, you know that your store card limit cannot be lower than your Macy's AmEx limit. Since all purchases at Macy's using the Macy's AmEx ultimately post to your store card account, how can the store card limit be lower than the Macy's AmEx limit?

For those without the AmEx, though, they are still not going to be sure how much will be approved until they either call in for guidance or simply take the plunge at checkout.

Edited by Under Water

Right, I understand.

What I mean is that if you have a store card and a Macy's AmEx, you know that your store card limit cannot be lower than your Macy's AmEx limit. Since all purchases at Macy's using the Macy's AmEx ultimately post to your store card account, how can the store card limit be lower than the Macy's AmEx limit?

Nope, there is absolutely no connection between your Macy's AMEX account and your Macy's store account. Separate limits, separate account numbers, separate account statements, hard limits on the AMEX account. When you swipe a card which says Macy's AMEX on the front inside a Macy's store or on our web site you are actually NOT using the AMEX account, you are using the Macy's store account within the card, not the AMEX account.

For those without the AmEx, though, they are still not going to be sure how much will be approved until they either call in for guidance or simply take the plunge at checkout.

That part is true. Since you are using the store account within the store, everything in this thread applies to your instore account within the AMEX card.

Edited by Settle

Right, I understand.

Nope, there is absolutely no connection between your Macy's AMEX account and your Macy's store account. Separate limits, separate account numbers, separate account statements, hard limits on the AMEX account. When you swipe a card which says Macy's AMEX on the front inside a Macy's store or on our web site you are actually NOT using the AMEX account, you are using the Macy's store account within the card, not the AMEX account.

How can there be no connection?

Each and every time I shop at Macy's I use my Macy's AmEx. Each and every purchase made posts against my AmEx account and reduces my available AmEx limit for a couple of days and then it magically disappears from my AmEx account (increasing my AmEx available credit) and reappears on my store account.

If, as you suggest, I am not using my AmEx account, why does my AmEx available credit decrease when I check my account?

Each and every time I shop at Macy's I use my Macy's AmEx. Each and every purchase made posts against my AmEx account and reduces my available AmEx limit for a couple of days and then it magically disappears from my AmEx account (increasing my AmEx available credit) and reappears on my store account.

If, as you suggest, I am not using my AmEx account, why does my AmEx available credit decrease when I check my account?

They are two separate accounts, so there is no connection between the two. As near as I can tell, you are not understanding, when you are looking at your account after a purchase, which of the two account numbers you are looking at. So let me ask: in the above situation, after you've purchased something, where, exactly, do you get your balance? On the phone, on our web site, or on some other website?

My guess is you are looking at our web site, but you may not be sure which of those two accounts you are looking at on our site.

Just to confirm, we are talking about an AMEX credit card which says Macy's on the front as well? Correct?

They are two separate accounts, so there is no connection between the two. As near as I can tell, you are not understanding, when you are looking at your account after a purchase, which of the two account numbers you are looking at. So let me ask: in the above situation, after you've purchased something, where, exactly, do you get your balance? On the phone, on our web site, or on some other website?

My guess is you are looking at our web site, but you may not be sure which of those two accounts you are looking at on our site.

Just to confirm, we are talking about an AMEX credit card which says Macy's on the front as well? Correct?

I thought it was understood that when I say AmEx here I am talking about a Macy's AmEx.

According to your own Macy's system there is most certainly a connection between the Macy's AmEx and the Macy's store account. I only use the AmEx when making in-store or online Macy's purchases. Every time I have made a Macy's purchase using my Macy's AmEx there is an authorization made on the AmEx account and my available AmEx credit limit reflects that both on the Macy's website and when I call in and speak with a CSR.

After about two days that authorization is removed from my Macy's AmEx account, my available credit is increased accordingly and the charge appears on my Macy's store account. It seems you are confused about what shows up on the Macy's website because there is no way to mistake the store account with the AmEx account. The store account does not and cannot show you your limit much less how much of your limit is available after a purchase. Only the AmEx account can do that.

So, the question remains, when I make a $500 purchase at Macy's using the Macy's AmEx, why is my AmEx available limit reduced $500 for a couple of days until the purchase actually posts to my Macy's store account if there is, as you claim, no connection between the two?

I thought it was understood that when I say AmEx here I am talking about a Macy's AmEx.

Just wanted to confirm, because nothing you have said about your AMEX made sense. They are two different accounts, and there is no place on our web site where the two show the same activity.

According to your own Macy's system there is most certainly a connection between the Macy's AmEx and the Macy's store account. I only use the AmEx when making in-store or online Macy's purchases. Every time I have made a Macy's purchase using my Macy's AmEx there is an authorization made on the AmEx account and my available AmEx credit limit reflects that both on the Macy's website and when I call in and speak with a CSR.

All I can think, based on what you're saying, is that you may not have entered your AMEX account on our web site, and you may be using your physical Macy's AMEX card while on the web site or in our store, then looking at your store account on our web site, watching not the AMEX account, but the store account for everything you mention above.

Trust me, I am not in any way confused about what shows up on our web site in the credit section. You may not yet have entered your Macy's AMEX account number in your profile, and it really sounds like you are looking at your Macy's store account on our web site and thinking it is somehow connected to the AMEX. So I am guessing about what you have thus far entered on our web site.

After about two days that authorization is removed from my Macy's AmEx account, my available credit is increased accordingly and the charge appears on my Macy's store account. It seems you are confused about what shows up on the Macy's website because there is no way to mistake the store account with the AmEx account. The store account does not and cannot show you your limit much less how much of your limit is available after a purchase. Only the AmEx account can do that.

So, the question remains, when I make a $500 purchase at Macy's using the Macy's AmEx, why is my AmEx available limit reduced $500 for a couple of days until the purchase actually posts to my Macy's store account if there is, as you claim, no connection between the two?

The answer can only be one: You are actually looking at your Macy's store account on our web site, not your AMEX account.

Some of our customers think they are looking at their AMEX account because of our special security code at the end of the store account. What are the last four numbers on the account number on our web site? Then take out your Macy's AMEX credit card, and type the last four numbers on that physical card. They don't match, they are different accounts. The only time you'll ever see a balance change on our web site when you use your card inside our store is when you are looking at your store account.

Just wanted to confirm, because nothing you have said about your AMEX made sense. They are two different accounts, and there is no place on our web site where the two show the same activity.

All I can think, based on what you're saying, is that you may not have entered your AMEX account on our web site, and you may be using your physical Macy's AMEX card while on the web site or in our store, then looking at your store account on our web site, watching not the AMEX account, but the store account for everything you mention above.

Trust me, I am not in any way confused about what shows up on our web site in the credit section. You may not yet have entered your Macy's AMEX account number in your profile, and it really sounds like you are looking at your Macy's store account on our web site and thinking it is somehow connected to the AMEX. So I am guessing about what you have thus far entered on our web site.

The answer can only be one: You are actually looking at your Macy's store account on our web site, not your AMEX account.

Some of our customers think they are looking at their AMEX account because of our special security code at the end of the store account. What are the last four numbers on the account number on our web site? Then take out your Macy's AMEX credit card, and type the last four numbers on that physical card. They don't match, they are different accounts. The only time you'll ever see a balance change on our web site when you use your card inside our store is when you are looking at your store account.

You really are confused.

When it comes to checking your account online, first of all, it is quite easy to use the drop-down box on the Macy's website to identify which account you want to see. On the drop-down box you use to select which account you want to see, the store account is identified by 8 stars and then the last four digits of your store account. The AmEx account is identified by 11 stars and the last four digits.

In any event, it's impossible to confuse which is which on Macy's website because the store card account only shows individual transactions and never -- ever -- shows how much available credit limit is remaining. In fact, it doesn't even show a credit limit ever since they stopped reporting credit limits on store accounts to credit bureaus about a year ago. It simply shows transactions already posted to your account.

On the other hand, on the Macy's website the Macy's AmEx card shows your credit limit, outstanding authorizations and the amount of credit limit currently available for use.

When the AmEx card is used for a Macy's purchase, the purchase amount is authorized against the AmEx limit immediately. That authorization -- and the subsequent reduction in credit limit available for current use -- remains on your AmEx account for a couple of days until the transaction is automatically transferred to your Macy's store account. At that time the AmEx credit limit available for current use is replenished. Again, I have verified this each time when I phoned into the Macy's credit center and also on Macy's own website.

I'm starting to suspect that you cannot answer the question about how to use your Macy's AmEx limit as a guide to determining your store card limit.

Edited by Under Water

You really are confused.

When it comes to checking your account online, first of all, it is quite easy to use the drop-down box on the Macy's website to identify which account you want to see. On the drop-down box you use to select which account you want to see, the store account is identified by 8 stars and then the last four digits of your store account. The AmEx account is identified by 11 stars and the last four digits.

In any event, it's impossible to confuse which is which on Macy's website because the store card account only shows individual transactions and never -- ever -- shows how much available credit limit is remaining. In fact, it doesn't even show a credit limit ever since they stopped reporting credit limits on store accounts to credit bureaus about a year ago. It simply shows transactions already posted to your account.

On the other hand, on the Macy's website the Macy's AmEx card shows your credit limit, outstanding authorizations and the amount of credit limit currently available for use.

When the AmEx card is used for a Macy's purchase, the purchase amount is authorized against the AmEx limit immediately. That authorization -- and the subsequent reduction in credit limit available for current use -- remains on your AmEx account for a couple of days until the transaction is automatically transferred to your Macy's store account. At that time the AmEx credit limit available for current use is replenished. Again, I have verified this each time when I phoned into the Macy's credit center and also on Macy's own website.

I'm starting to suspect that you cannot answer the question about how to use your Macy's AmEx limit as a guide to determining your store card limit

I am not at all confused. I answer calls just like yours all day long, 5-7 days each week, for our Macy's credit customers. I've been doing this for years, and I know our credit section better than most anyone here. Part of my purpose is to walk people like yourself through our web site. Clearly, we are not communicating on this web site, which is fine.

Why don't you pick up the phone call and call us, so we can explain it to you?

Again, there is no connection whatsover between your AMEX limit and your Macy's store account use. Sorry for the confusion, but it will certainly be easier to walk you through it and explain it on the telephone than this web site.

You really are confused.

I'm starting to suspect that you cannot answer the question about how to use your Macy's AmEx limit as a guide to determining your store card limit

I am not at all confused. I answer calls just like yours all day long, 5-7 days each week, for our Macy's credit customers. I've been doing this for years, and I know our credit section better than most anyone here. Part of my purpose is to walk people like yourself through our web site. Clearly, we are not communicating on this web site, which is fine.

Why don't you pick up the phone call and call us, so we can explain it to you?

Again, there is no connection whatsover between your AMEX limit and your Macy's store account use. Sorry for the confusion, but it will certainly be easier to walk you through it and explain it on the telephone than this web site.

No reason to call.

I will be making a purchase on Macy's website with my Macy's AmEx and then post the before and after screen shots so it can be clearly understood that the actual process used by Macy's is to first authorize the sale against the AmEx limit and then after a couple of days post the transaction to the store card limit.

After that is accomplished, you might want to take the pictures and show whomever it is that runs the overseas call center you are working at and ask them to give a refresher course on some of the finer points of Macy's credit.

Settle..

I appreciate all your insight on these accounts.. Can you please keep us posted when the actual changes come through?

:)

Settle..

I appreciate all your insight on these accounts.. Can you please keep us posted when the actual changes come through?

Absolutely! :blush2:

Settle..

Absolutely! :blush2:

Settle can you please answer my question? Thanks.