Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

OLD MARINE NEEDS ORAL SURGERY

The last post in this topic was posted 3581 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Unfortunately there are millions of people in the US who need dental work but cannot afford it.

Some of them will die because of it.

Have him check with the Veteran's Administration....There are some qualifications that he will need to meet, but it's possible to get free dental care from the VA( I do).

Joe

Donate. Actually, there are services available from the VA and from teaching universities in his state. I had much dental work done at VCU when I lived in Richmond. They used a sliding scale to determine the fees.

All non-profits and state-supported facilities have to provide a percentage of their services as charity in order to keep their non-profit status. I don't know what keeps people from just calling and asking, but something does, apparently.

Sorry Breeze, but I would definitely suggest against donating for the following reasons.

1. It sounds like a scam and is unverifiable.

2. Does he deserve a donation any more than any other person in the world just because he was once a peace-time (if there is such a thing) veteran? There are a bunch of us out there. I too am a veteran who needs dental work and cannot afford it...would you folks like to send me donations? - I mean heck, you guys even sort of know me......no? I didn't think so. ;)

3. The VA was never intended to handle medical/dental issues that occurred years after...and totally unrelated to...their military service.

Sounds to me like the lady (if it is a lady and not the guy himself) is trying to cash in by stating that he is a "Vet".

Sorry Breeze, but I would definitely suggest against donating for the following reasons.

2. Does he deserve a donation any more than any other person in the world just because he was once a peace-time (if there is such a thing) veteran? There are a bunch of us out there. I too am a veteran who needs dental work and cannot afford it...would you folks like to send me donations? - I mean heck, you guys even sort of know me......no? I didn't think so. ;)

3. The VA was never intended to handle medical/dental issues that occurred years after...and totally unrelated to...their military service.

Sounds to me like the lady (if it is a lady and not the guy himself) is trying to cash in by stating that he is a "Vet".

1974-1975 is not considered a peacetime vet. There was this little thing called the Vietnam war going on until April 1975.

The last of the US troops were withdrawn from Vietnam in August 1973. The WAR continued until 75.

What difference does it make if he was a vet during peace time? I don't understand why you feel that way. The world is an unstable place. At anytime any of the men and women who serve our country could be called to War. That's huge.

What difference does it make if he was a vet during peace time? I don't understand why you feel that way. The world is an unstable place. At anytime any of the men and women who serve our country could be called to War. That's huge.

So then it is OK for me to go out begging money since I did my military service?

What about police officers and firefighters who put their life on the line on a daily basis here in the US? What about that school crossing guard who keeps your child safe? What about our city, state and federal servants who keep our country running? Don't we owe them a debt of gratitude as well? (you wouldn't think so by the way people talk about them).

Take 2 or 4 or 6 years out of someones life, then compare it to what else they have done for the other 50 years of their life.

If someone is a rapist or murderer or robber....do I owe them a debt of gratitude for having been in the military at some point in their life? No, no I don't. They are slime just like other slime. (not implying in any way that the dude in question is any of those)

I don't see why people put vets and active duty on some demigod pedestal when they turn around and gripe about public servants and other citizens in general who keep our country safe and afloat.

Regarding the public employees, from the polls that I have seen, Americans overwhelmingly support them, like over 70% of American side with the public employees, especially in Wisconsin. I dont listen to the 30% who have a problem with them. TPTB who took actions in WI recently are going to have it come back to them in spades.

As it relates to vets, firefighters etc, I think anyone who steps up and protects their fellow Americans deserves rewarded for that. Call me what you will; that's how I feel. I'm not going to split hairs about minutia like crossing guards et al. We are talking about people stepping up and risking their lives to protect their fellow citizens.

You are making this about you and I'm confused as to why. It sounds like you're jealous that he may get help from other people. Why does that bother you so much? Your taxes aren't going towards it. Isn't that what a lot of people say should happen? Don't provide care, let charity take care of it. Would you be happier if your taxes went towards it? What do you want him to do? Not ask for help? Why doesnt he have the right to ask for help?

Why?

1. there is no proof that this person was ever in the military, or that his teeth problem have anything to do with his military service.

2. It sounds like a con....one that is all to frequent as of late.

3. trying to get sympathy and "use" a fact to get that sympathy because you know nothing else will work.

Jealousy has nothing to do with it. I come from a long line of veterans, I am one myself. So as a veteran, I can say that I am offended by this rash of "Oh, I'm a vet, let your heart bleed for me" mentality. ESPECIALLY when I see the VA blogged down with ne're do wells who won't work, and a bunch with extensive police records (not to mention several pedophiles and murderers) who drain the resources that are needed to tend to veterans injured in the line of duty, rehabilitation, and training for those who can go back into civilian life.

Do you know why cops hate dirty cops (other than the obvious of course)? They hate them because they give police a bad name in general.

The same goes with Veterans.

I said "donate" to the person who posted the link. It was satire, a mild joke... whatever.

The VA will treat anyone who served during "wartime" my husband was in the Med during the Korean conflict, and got much of his medical care from the VA in Richmond. Military service has certain benefits that are considered part of their pay. This is done and over with - they have these benefits. How you can make any argument about military benefits based on public employee benefits issues of today just proves one thing - it's why we do not allow political discussion on CB, because they are not the same thing, the issues are not the same. There is no one on here who is going to be convinced of your POV, they are only going to be alienated and leave CB in a huff.

This just reminds me why I stay out of GDF. I sidelined my judgment there for a while.

Pammie, they're all yours. :wave:

Regarding the public employees, from the polls that I have seen, Americans overwhelmingly support them, like over 70% of American side with the public employees, especially in Wisconsin. I dont listen to the 30% who have a problem with them. TPTB who took actions in WI recently are going to have it come back to them in spades.

I have to disagree with those polls that claim 70% of Americans "overwhelmingly" support them

70% of the public employees or their families? Sure

of the general population...I would have to question that...

As it relates to vets, firefighters etc, I think anyone who steps up and protects their fellow Americans deserves rewarded for that. Call me what you will; that's how I feel. I'm not going to split hairs about minutia like crossing guards et al. We are talking about people stepping up and risking their lives to protect their fellow citizens.

You are making this about you and I'm confused as to why. It sounds like you're jealous that he may get help from other people. Why does that bother you so much? Your taxes aren't going towards it. Isn't that what a lot of people say should happen? Don't provide care, let charity take care of it. Would you be happier if your taxes went towards it? What do you want him to do? Not ask for help? Why doesnt he have the right to ask for help?

BS

Many vets get care at VA facilities for non service connected medical problems if they meet income guidelines. Even if you exceed the guidelines you can still seek medical care at VA facilities and not get raped by a civilian hospital.

IMO ALL veterans should get medical care for serving our country, of course with priority given to those with service connected disabilities. What else did we get for serving in war besides a lousy paycheck. Many people do not understand that in time of war, the hours worked are extremely high for that sh*tty salary. Most of this for a country with little gratitude other than just lip service. Many say we support the troops, but just words.

Why?

1. there is no proof that this person was ever in the military, or that his teeth problem have anything to do with his military service.

2. It sounds like a con....one that is all to frequent as of late.

3. trying to get sympathy and "use" a fact to get that sympathy because you know nothing else will work.

Jealousy has nothing to do with it. I come from a long line of veterans, I am one myself. So as a veteran, I can say that I am offended by this rash of "Oh, I'm a vet, let your heart bleed for me" mentality. ESPECIALLY when I see the VA blogged down with ne're do wells who won't work, and a bunch with extensive police records (not to mention several pedophiles and murderers) who drain the resources that are needed to tend to veterans injured in the line of duty, rehabilitation, and training for those who can go back into civilian life.

Do you know why cops hate dirty cops (other than the obvious of course)? They hate them because they give police a bad name in general.

The same goes with Veterans.

I wasn't aware of this. as I have not been a VA patient in over 10 years. HOWEVER, this cannot be any worse than those on MEDICAID. It gets old when people like us work to prop up those that sit on the couch all day and watch television, yet they get free medical care. This includes the pedophiles and workers you speak of. One of the morals to life is you get punished for working to support many that choose not to.

I may be wrong but ANY veteran should get medical care before someone that spends their life on their flowers.

Edited by hinklesc

Don't go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't want me hangin around in here - I'm a wet blanket. :D

Since the original link is now gone, and this seems to be heading way off course, I see no reason to let it continue.

The last post in this topic was posted 3581 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.