Sign in to follow this  
Dogman

Man pays CHASE credit card bill w 650,000 pennies

"I brought them back and now they're rolled and they still don't want them. Does my, does my pennies stink?"

Priceless.

Why is that anything more than an obnoxious person with WAY too much time on his hands? Did Capitol One (and I hate them as much as anybody else) make him apply for or use the card? What did he hope to accomplish other than look like an salamander in his 15 minutes of fame?

Why is that anything more than an obnoxious person with WAY too much time on his hands? Did Capitol One (and I hate them as much as anybody else) make him apply for or use the card? What did he hope to accomplish other than look like an salamander in his 15 minutes of fame?

It was actually CHASE. On Channel 2 in Oakland, CA, he was irritated over lack of refinancing....

Anybody who rolls 650,000 pennies needs to get a life, and a grammar coach. :P

Thierry Cahez is the owner of Opera Desserts in Mira Mesa. On Monday, he loaded his delivery van with 650,000 pennies, enough to pay a $6,500 credit card bill. But according to Cahez, no one wanted to accept the payment.

"Different time, different branches... and they all send me away. Very bad attitude," he said.

He says he was told to roll the coins, but, "I brought them back and now they're rolled and they still don't want them. Does my, does my pennies stink?" he asked.

A Chase Bank spokesman tells San Diego 6 it has nothing to do with any odor, just space.

The payment crisis was eventually resolved by sending Cahez to another branch with a bigger vault.

*Shrug* I think he wanted to make a point and inflict just a little bit of pain and misery on the banking institution that gave it to him.

Of course, the sad thing about these sorts of gestures is that they don't ever hurt the people that hurt you. It's just some poor bank teller who has nothing to do with his loan re-fi that has to move and count these pennies. In short, he's punishing some random person who just happens to work for Chase because another person who worked for chase didn't give him the re-fi that he wanted.

Maybe this makes him feel better. Donno -- frankly, I don't really care.

All I know is that if I worked at that branch I'd be pissed.

Hmm, well maybe the employee who had to process the pennies will stop ignoring the fact that they work for a p.o.s. bank and finally have the motivation get a new, better job.

Personally, I'm hopeful the news broadcast will cause others to terminate their Chase relationship as well.

And of course those who feel sorry for poor Chase can go deposit some money there to show their support.

Everybody wins.

Hmm, well maybe the employee who had to process the pennies will stop ignoring the fact that they work for a p.o.s. bank and finally have the motivation get a new, better job.

You know, that's a big steaming pile of B.S. right there. Maybe they're happy where they are working, maybe they hope to get promoted as anyone does in that job. *shrug* I'm friends with a couple people who work for banking institutions, one a teller and the other a loan officer, and for the most part they are happy with their pay and their working conditions. One works for a local chase bank branch, the other, works for my local credit union.

Beyond that, no matter which bank you are talking about there will ALWAYS be someone wronged by that bank -- either intentionally or not. The internet is full of stories of folks getting *Admin removes vulgarity*ed over by banks -- and yes -- even credit unions.

I've worked retail my entire adult life and I've had my share of smug self entitled customers who think they have a right to treat me like dirt just because I work retail. That employee who has to count those pennies DID NOTHING to that man. Absolutely NOTHING. Yet he/she is being punished by that man because of the decision of some loan officer probably at another branch. We've all worked retail at some time or another in our lives. Most of us have also worked some form of customer service. And while it is part of our job to deal with the annoying self-entitled wireless routers -- their behavior is never justified. They treat us like chocolate because they can.

It's really that simple.

BTW: I don't feel sorry at all for chase. Who I feel sorry for is the poor retail slave that has to move and count all those pennies. That's who I feel sorry for.

Edited by PunisherSD

You seem quite hostile; that is not particularly constructive when interacting with others... however I won't insult your opinion, because you have a right to voice it.

But I will disagree with you.

1) No one will be counting out the pennies, so that need not cause any distress.

2) Just because employees may be happy with their jobs doesn't mean their employer isn't an amoral/immoral p.o.s.

3) Retail work is not suitable for everyone; those with anger issues would probably do better in a position where they won't come into contact with the general public. Because the general public includes a fair number of smug, self-entitled d-bags, unfortunately. Those who are happy (and do well) in retail tend to have a smile on their face, and don't take things personally, knowing that the customer is actually upset with their employer.

RCJ

BTW: Just because someone works retail does not make them a slave... an employee who perceives they are being treated as a slave may, at some point in their career, decide that they'd like to make a change. Of course, they may feel like a slave no matter what their job or career may be.

You know, that's a big steaming pile of B.S. right there. Maybe they're happy where they are working, maybe they hope to get promoted as anyone does in that job. *shrug* I'm friends with a couple people who work for banking institutions, one a teller and the other a loan officer, and for the most part they are happy with their pay and their working conditions. One works for a local chase bank branch, the other, works for my local credit union.

Beyond that, no matter which bank you are talking about there will ALWAYS be someone wronged by that bank -- either intentionally or not. The internet is full of stories of folks getting *** over by banks -- and yes -- even credit unions.

I've worked retail my entire adult life and I've had my share of smug self entitled customers who think they have a right to treat me like dirt just because I work retail. That employee who has to count those pennies DID NOTHING to that man. Absolutely NOTHING. Yet he/she is being punished by that man because of the decision of some loan officer probably at another branch. We've all worked retail at some time or another in our lives. Most of us have also worked some form of customer service. And while it is part of our job to deal with the annoying self-entitled wireless routers -- their behavior is never justified. They treat us like chocolate because they can.

It's really that simple.

BTW: I don't feel sorry at all for chase. Who I feel sorry for is the poor retail slave that has to move and count all those pennies. That's who I feel sorry for.

Sorry - just to lighten this up a bit, I'm glad he was ONTIME with the payment - otherwise he would have counted out about 3900 pennies for the late fee :blush2:

1) No one will be counting out the pennies, so that need not cause any distress.

People will have to move and count the rolled pennies. Also, keep in mind, the man also wanted to give Chase non-rolled pennies.

But let's just go with the rolled pennies. Each penny weighs 2.5 grams. 6,500 dollars in pennies is 650,000 pennies, or 1,625,000 grams. or 1,625 Kilograms, or 1.6 metric TONS. How easy is it do you think to move 1.6 metric tons? How many man hours? How many people counting and verifying all those pennies? Hell, let's assume that they aren't breaking open the rolls. They're just counting them.

That's 650,000 pennies, one hundred pennies to the roll. 6,500 rolls of pennies. That's 6,500 ROLLS of pennies! Let's assume it takes them around 2 seconds to pick up a roll, count it, then move onto the next stack. You might be able to do it faster, or you might end up doing it slower. Going from that figure, just to count the rolls, you have 13,000 seconds, or 216 minutes just to count them. This task can be simplified if they pull another person to help -- that's still 108 minutes. But I'm not aware of too many banks with lots of tellers just standing around doing nothing.

This is just the time spent counting them. What about the time spent moving them into the vault?

All this time, all this energy spent --- just so he can be an Flower Pot. There is no other reason. And what you haven't disputed is the fact that this man is being an Flower Pot to some random chase employees who have done nothing at all to this man to deserve this punishment.

Question remains: Do you support punishing people for acts that they are not responsible for? If not, then how do you justify this mans actions?

2) Just because employees may be happy with their jobs doesn't mean their employer isn't an amoral/immoral p.o.s.

*shrug*. You seem to think their jobs are pretty crappy. That's a big old assumption on your part, and to be frank, it just smells of smug self importance. I don't mean to be disrespectful. I know when we are on internet forums the temptation to be snarky is great. I do this myself, so I hope I'm not coming off as high an mighty -- but the tone of your post struck me and I just wanted to let you know that I do disagree.

I mean just stop and think for a moment. You seem to be justifying Chocolate Goodness behavior from the general public to retail/customer service employees. "Oh it's ok that I'm making these people move 1.6 metric tons of pennies -- that will just motivate them to get a better job"

"It's ok that I don't tip the waitress anything, that will motivate her to get a better job".

" It's ok that I treat people like dirt -- it's a learning experience -- they'll be motivated to do better."

Now, I'm not saying that you do this things. Not at all. I'm just saying that the "it will motivate them to find a better job" excuse can be used to justify all sorts of Chocolate Goodness behavior. I hope you can see where I'm coming from on this issue.

3) Retail work is not suitable for everyone; those with anger issues would probably do better in a position where they won't come into contact with the general public. Because the general public includes a fair number of smug, self-entitled d-bags, unfortunately. Those who are happy (and do well) in retail tend to have a smile on their face, and don't take things personally, knowing that the customer is actually upset with their employer.

That smile is fake when dealing with self entitled d-bags. It's never genuine. No one likes being walked all over and being punished for something they have no control over. No one.

I've always heard that a bank must accept legal US currency regardless of denomination. No?

Yes, they do if it's a debt (which this is).

As far as goods and services, private businesses are free to refuse to accept coins for goods and services.

Personally, I'm hopeful the news broadcast will cause others to terminate their Chase relationship as well.

And of course those who feel sorry for poor Chase can go deposit some money there to show their support.

Everybody wins.

I work for a far better bank than Chase and still want a better job - but can't find one and have been looking for over a year.

Well, at least he paid his debt. That's plus right? :blush2:

+1

Also, look on the bright side. At least the people dealing with the pennies got in a little work out during their day.

Can't beat exercise,, it's the best thing for everybody.

The also are getting paid whether it's to count pennies or whatever the task is. Is there something else that they would rather be doing?

I wonder how he did it the first time - B4 they were rolled. Was it a family gathering in the garage - or at their dessert company? Did they "imbibe" and chant CHASE CHASE CHASE... yes, you all know where I am headed with this...

Did they have one of those little home coin rollers? :grin:

No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!

Bluto: We're just the guys to do it.

No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!

Bluto: We're just the guys to do it.

YOWZA! (I borrowed this from Hammerjam - it had been awhile) :rolleyes:

Edited by Dogman

I wonder how he did it the first time - B4 they were rolled. Was it a family gathering in the garage - or at their dessert company? Did they "imbibe" and chant CHASE CHASE CHASE... yes, you all know where I am headed with this...

I was wondering where he got 650,000 unrolled pennies in the first place. :rofl:

I was wondering where he got 650,000 unrolled pennies in the first place. :rofl:

This is mind boggling - huh radi8? AND, the count was correct.... :glare: