Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

give up your FB password for background check?

The last post in this topic was posted 3619 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Anything not shared publically is none of your business.

Sure?

If you had a job of importance to fill... would you rather know what is not public or not?

I still confused as to why something people don't pay for should have privacy.. :lol::rofl:

Great advice..I don't see this trend going away anytime soon..

Edited by Islandgal

At some point someone is going to make the case that Facebook snooping is a backdoor way to get answers to questions a prospective employer cannot ask. Marital status, children, etc... and sue over it. And probably win.

At some point someone is going to make the case that Facebook snooping is a backdoor way to get answers to questions a prospective employer cannot ask. Marital status, children, etc... and sue over it. And probably win.

meh. prove I was looking at your public page :lol:

Public page is just that. I don't see a problem there either. Demanding the password is another story.

I think the same case could be made for asking for a credit report. It's very easy to figure out by looking at somebody's credit report whether they're married and how old they are.

Public page is just that. I don't see a problem there either. Demanding the password is another story.

agreed. I was speaking to the general facebook snooping. You don't get an interview here without me doing a little homework first. Even if your page is set to private - a profile picture of you doing a keg stand speaks volumes. And doesn't necessarily disqualify you :rofl:

+1

Plus it doesn't hurt that I really don't have a Facebook account. :rofl:

I guess that eliminates you from my Suspect List.

LOL then that make two of us that are INNOCENT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would I? Of course. Nothing to hide.

It amazes me how much information people put out there for the general public.

Check out a few pictures, read a few posts made...

We can look at someone's profile for a short time and get a pretty good idea of what someone is like.

I think the same case could be made for asking for a credit report. It's very easy to figure out by looking at somebody's credit report whether they're married and how old they are.

Good point. I had never though of it before, but most credit reports list a DOB.

http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=137495&catid=158

BALTIMORE, Md. (WUSA) -- Robert Collins tells

9NEWS NOW he had to give up his Facebook

account password and information for a

background check to return to work as a corrections

officer in Maryland. Now, he and the ACLU have

managed to get the Maryland Department of Public

Safety to suspend that practice, at least for now.

That policy has been pulled for the next 45 days as

it goes under review.

What's Face Book? :angel:

On principle, I'd have to say no. I also wouldn't want to give up my email password, any photobucket account passwords or let them look through the text messages or pictures on my phone, which is essentially the same request as the FB password. But being honest, I could ignore my principles for the right job offer.

The last post in this topic was posted 3619 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.