The Master American Express BackDating Thread - *Obsolete info*

The last post in this topic was posted 2069 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No.

Remember, they also lost JetBlue account as well. This likely became a huge issue IF those creditors want actual open dates. Who knows, could be a little of all the points cash and lostmymind were pointing out between speculation and supposed regulatory issues.

I don't foresee this being an issue at all. Having worked in the industry, the opening date of an account is a standard data field. Even though Amex lists the MSD on the credit report, this wouldn't affect the opening date that they show for each account. If you called customer service, they would be able to see the date that you opened the card (even if your MSD has 20+ years of history). When Citi reports for Costco, they're going to take the opening date that gets provided to them. The MSD is likely irrelevant, and I doubt it will be shared with Citi.

The daye opened on my accounts shows 1992.

I mean the actual account opening date. They would be able to see that field internally, and your MSD wouldn't have an effect on it.

Edited by cai24

D* was the only reason I was thinking about paying AMEX back. No rush now.

MF suggests a massive goodwill letter campaign to AMEX executive office re: reinstating D*.

:rofl:

salamanders. GW is all they know.

What? You mean they don't believe in disputing? I'm shocked I say, shocked. :swoon:

Hahaha

Edited by Bulldog21

Remember, they also lost JetBlue account as well. This likely became a huge issue IF those creditors want actual open dates. Who knows, could be a little of all the points cash and lostmymind were pointing out between speculation and supposed regulatory issues.

I don't foresee this being an issue at all. Having worked in the industry, the opening date of an account is a standard data field. Even though Amex lists the MSD on the credit report, this wouldn't affect the opening date that they show for each account. If you called customer service, they would be able to see the date that you opened the card (even if your MSD has 20+ years of history). When Citi reports for Costco, they're going to take the opening date that gets provided to them. The MSD is likely irrelevant, and I doubt it will be shared with Citi.

I mean the actual account opening date. They would be able to see that field internally, and your MSD wouldn't have an effect on it.

If they look at the "reported since" date they can see it. If they look at the "date opened," they see the MSD. They don't see a different date opened than we do.

• Admin

No doubt they have the actual data. I think their "little perk" got spotlighted on the website owned by the people who do the scoring. And their algorithm uses the dates.

It never ceases to amaze me.

If they look at the "reported since" date they can see it. If they look at the "date opened," they see the MSD. They don't see a different date opened than we do.

They have different data fields for member since and date opened. I don't work in IT but I've worked in insurance, and the CSR's have all kinds of data fields that you can't see.

It's the same way they changed the AU reporting a few years back.

They have complete control.

That's what's concerning. If they decided to implement the change for all accounts, it would adversely affect a lot of people. I'm hoping that's not the case.

If they decided to implement the change for all accounts, it would adversely affect a lot of people.

They never changed old AU accounts.

I still have one from before the change.

They just changed them going forward.

It's the same way they changed the AU reporting a few years back.

They have complete control.

That's what's concerning. If they decided to implement the change for all accounts, it would adversely affect a lot of people. I'm hoping that's not the case.

cai24,

Welcome back!

You pointed out in a previous thread that analysts could fairly easily see Amex D* looking at reports so I assume you are referring only to the impact on scores. Perhaps this is why Amex is only doing this on new accounts so it won't create some sort of significant discontinuity. Assuming Amex doesn't retro this, and I suspect they won't unless somehow forced, by the time Citi gets the portfolio the effect of Citi switching to the actual account open date should have a lot less negative effect than it would if Amex waited. It's in both Amex's and Citi's interest to protect the portfolio (maximize the value) while they negotiate the terms of the portfolio sale.

As for the rest of Amex's customer base it really has no impact other than eliminating a rather unusual aspect of Amex reporting that is mostly of interest to rebuilders.

If they decided to implement the change for all accounts, it would adversely affect a lot of people.

They never changed old AU accounts.

I still have one from before the change.

They just changed them going forward.

Yup. I'm sure they will do the same here absent some sort of external coercion.

I completely agree.

IMO, the Citi deal triggered this change exactly because there is no way Amex is giving Citi the MSD. They will get the open date and that's what will be reported so the accounts that go to Citi that have a MSD that predates the open date will be corrected. Initiating the change now on new accounts reduces the chaos associated with this change in 2016 but it will still have some impact.

Edited by cashnocredit

So far there hasn't been a single person reporting a recent account that has been *D.

That pretty much seals the deal at least for now.

Hopefully it changes later.

Any chance D* is still alive in Texas? :grin:

Shhhhh.....

You all need to chill. Do you really think this is the only guy calling up about this? These things come and go. You just have to go with the flow.

People need to be shamed.

How did that work on me?

I can't speak to that. I'm a very vocal Rorer supporter, often to the consternation of other board members. ;)

Actually, he calmed down quite a bit.

Sometimes a public shaming is necessary, such as being moronic enough to call Amex and mention backdating. Lostcredit is a moron.

Lets be clear here, If you want to ridicule me, at least do it properly for what I did.

I called CSR with the intent of having my 2 new trade lines with cards I haven't even activated yet deleted without ever showing on my report, as mentioned in this thread I made here asking for help

http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=542281

-So I called CSR first, after conversations back and forth(I told them they day after I got the cards I found a house I was applying for a mortgage and didn't want new lines to report if possible) they told me the could cancel my cards but I would have to talk to the bureau department about the reporting to my CRA or not, so I asked for a transfer to that department before closing because there was no point in closing if the lines would report anyway. I never mentioned backdating at this point, nor asked to have my cards report backdated. I knew that was pointless as my account was already backdated.

-Once speaking to the credit bureau department back and forth about the issue- I was asking about having the cards closed and not report(basically was told, it is a no go, they will have to report). I then asked about my EDP card I opened in earlier as it had not reported yet, and If I could get it reported so I won't have to disclose unreported trad lines on my mortgage app(,my excuse), and I was also worried about the AAOA drop that might hurt my score. It was then the rep told me (before I ever mentioned it) that my ED would report as my MSD and shouldn't hurt my AAOA. They said my new cards would, and then they told me all new accounts first reporting after mar 21'st would show as their actual open date(I found this odd as my ED should also since it hasn't report yet, I deff didn't dive into that, I just left that alone). I was transferred back to the csr and told them never mind on the cancel since they will both report(at least I will get my 80hhonor points)

- Then I called EO to try to accomplish the card delete and not reporting. A desperate attempt. This is when I brought up the conversation I had with the credit bureau and tried using the MSD as leverage for help. Basically I said, I was always under the impression the lines would report like that, and since they had a change of policy and didn't disclose that I would like some help in getting them deleted. She then contacted one of the upper managers(apparently) of the credit bureau, looked in to it for me. She also went on to explain the changes, and the Amex is working to resolve it, its new regulation agreement they have to to, etc etc etc.

So yes, once I called the EO office, I was the first one mentioning backdating at that point

I didn't ever call trying to get my cards to report backdated, I wanted them to correct the 2 new trade lines by deleting if possible.

Your fine . Believing that you single handedly took D down is just silly . By the time you called the decision was already made . I highly doubt your call had any influence .

Just please don't call them about D again .

Is there a way that you can request that msd today for me?
Alex: And see that the Member since date is showing as 2015.
Alex: You read my mind!
you: lol
Alex: I will process your request to make the changes for you.
Alex: It will take a few minutes.
you: thank you
Alex: May I have your:
Alex: Address, Phone number and email id.
you:
Alex: Thank you for confirming.
Alex: You are member since?
you: 2005
Alex: Thank you for confirming!
Alex: One moment please.
Alex: I submitted request for one card successfully.
Alex: Now submitting for the other card.
you: cool
Alex: I'll be right with you.
you: ok
Alex: Thank you for waiting. I'll be with you in just a moment.
you: no problem
Alex: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.
you: its ok, take your time
Alex: Thank you for waiting so patiently.
Alex: ( So long forms..
Alex: huh..
Alex: Just completed.
Alex: I submitted your request successfully.
you: I'm at a cheer competition, all I have is patience.....
you: thanks alot
Alex: ha ha ha
Alex: Before you go, I would like to give you a link that most of our new Card Members find very useful
Alex: The card has some great benefits, such as Return Protection, Entertainment Access, Extended Warranty and Purchase protection
Alex: One of the many benefits of carrying the American Express Card is our Fraud Protection Guarantee � if someone uses your American Express Card without your consent you will not be held responsible for the charges. There is no deductible. You can use your Card to shop with confidence anywhere.
Alex: You can use your Card with confidence knowing that American Express has you covered.
Alex: Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist you.
you: thats it, you helped me alot, I appreciate it
Alex: It's been a pleasure assisting you today, please click on End Chat to end this chat and take a brief survey. Welcome to the American Express family.
you: thanks

That just happened to me in the chat at amex

The last post in this topic was posted 2069 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.