Sign in to follow this  
ICANHASMUNY?

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau

So, they will eventually be dealing with CAs?

yes, they are starting to supervise the larger CA's and in the future you should be able to file complaints against any CA.

right now - you can file a complaint against a CA regarding credit reporting.

The CFBB is the absolute BOMB! Literally! I filed a complaint on 11/14 and just received a resolution - barely 7 days later! The CRA has deleted the account as requested. I am just so grateful. This was one that I had tried several times on my own, writing letters, calling, online, quoting all kinds of legalese, and now its gone. What a great Thanksgiving blessing!

Do I have to write the CRAs in regards to a particular CA first before I can sic the CFPB on same bogus reporting CAs on my reports?

Do I have to write the CRAs in regards to a particular CA first before I can sic the CFPB on same bogus reporting CAs on my reports?

I would dispute with the CRAs first... one of the questions the CFPB complaint form asks is if you disputed and what the result was. They will also ask you for any proof you may have to support your complaint (like say you were promised a PFD in writing and they didn't delete... scan and upload that letter with your complaint). Try to get anything you can in writing.

yes, they are starting to supervise the larger CA's and in the future you should be able to file complaints against any CA.

How do you file a complaint against a CA. Do you use the CRA section?

How do you file a complaint against a CA. Do you use the CRA section?

Yes - the CRA is required under the FCRA to report information accurately, not just parrot what the CA tells them - they have to perform a "reasonable reinvestigation"

Complaints to the CFPB regarding inaccurate CA reporting should be reserved serious violations -

an account that isn't yours, or that the account was previously settled, Paid in full or ID theft related and both CA and the CRA refuse to remove,

and you've already disputed it with supporting documentation or requested Blocking of the accounts in a FACTA letter to the CRA's fraud Dept, and they refuse to block or remove the accounts,

Then you file a complaint with the CFPB against the CRA for failure to perform a reasonable reinvestigation of your dispute.

otherwise, stick to 623 letters and the BBB or the state regulatory agency regarding CA complaints. <br><br>

Kudos to ICANHASMUNY for starting this vitally important thread, and answering all these questions for the past two years.

Bravo!!!

updating this credit forum thread; I had posted this last year in the Laws, laws, laws forum,

the Dodd Frank Act and extending it to cover collection activity by OC's. ...

Unair, Deceptive, Abusive Acts or Practices = UDAAP

UDAAPs can cause significant financial injury to consumers, erode consumer confidence, and undermine fair competition in the financial marketplace.

Original creditors and other covered persons and service providers under the Dodd-Frank Act involved in collecting debt related to any consumer financial product or service are subject to the prohibition against UDAAPs in the Dodd-Frank Act.

Again, the obligation to avoid UDAAPs under the Dodd-Frank Act is in addition to any obligations that may arise under the FDCPA. (so it's also available against CA's and JDB's . )

Original creditors and other covered persons and service providers involved in collecting debt related to any consumer financial product or service are subject to the prohibition against UDAAPs in the Dodd-Frank Act.

http://files.consume...e-practices.pdf

updating this credit forum thread; I had posted this last year in the Laws, laws, laws forum,

the Dodd Frank Act and extending it to cover collection activity by OC's. ...

Unfair, Deceptive, Abusive Acts or Practices = UDAAP

UDAAPs can cause significant financial injury to consumers, erode consumer confidence, and undermine fair competition in the financial marketplace.

Original creditors and other covered persons and service providers under the Dodd-Frank Act involved in collecting debt related to any consumer financial product or service are subject to the prohibition against UDAAPs in the Dodd-Frank Act.

Again, the obligation to avoid UDAAPs under the Dodd-Frank Act is in addition to any obligations that may arise under the FDCPA. (so it's also available against CA's and JDB's . )

Original creditors and other covered persons and service providers involved in collecting debt related to any consumer financial product or service are subject to the prohibition against UDAAPs in the Dodd-Frank Act.

http://files.consume...e-practices.pdf

I filed a complaint with the CFPB over some medical debts that I was attempting to get validation on. Complaint was with a CA. I attempted to get validation twice prior but they never responded. One of the debts was actually valid, the other was questionable because the amounts did not match my records and I truly had no idea where the charges were coming from.

The CFPB took 3 months to "validate" the CA. After that though, it took about 2 weeks for them to get a response from the CA. In my original complaint, I asked for removal but also needed validation so I could actually figure out what they said I owed. That is exactly what I got. The CA denied that they did not validate. However, both medical bills were removed from my credit report and the CA sent copies of the original bills. Those bills were something I never saw until all of this fighting was over with. I wasted about 4 months before I filed the complaint just trying to get a valid response.

After it was all said and done though, the CFPB came through for me. I now have a completely clean credit report. BTW I started out with Whychat's method but when I could not get a valid response from the credit bureaus or the CA, that was when I filed my complaint. I had copies of all of my letters and sent them in with my complaint. The CFPB works. They are kind of slow but they got the job done for me.

Edited by rockinon

I think the real question that remains to be seen is this: Will they actually have any teeth?

History:

Opened case with CFPB on 7/21 about a Chase CC Chargeoff for about 6K Chase would never work with me on payment or removing the CO. Just wanted payment in full. Its past the Texas SOL DOFD was 02/07 so it will remain on CR about another 3 years - This is my last baddie.

Got a call today from Chase Executive Customer Service stating that received the complaint and they are reviewing it. She will contact me in a couple of days.

I will update this thread with results.

Well,

Just got off the phone with Chase ECS and they have a offer for me

History:

All three CRA's has this listed as Chargeoff for $6,322.

DOFD was 3/07

Texas SOL is 4 years so they cant sue - keep inhouse (never went to CA.

Offer:

50% in one lump sum payment ($3,162.00) and they will delete from all CRA's (will be in writing)

whatcha think?

Thanks!

So the debt is outside of SOL since DOFD was in 07.

Also, it would seem it is outside CRA reporting because more than 7 years has elapsed.

I'm confused. What is your question? It shouldnt be on your reports any longer and they cant sue for any alleged balance so....

I think the real question that remains to be seen is this: Will they actually have any teeth?

History:

Opened case with CFPB on 7/21 about a Chase CC Chargeoff for about 6K Chase would never work with me on payment or removing the CO. Just wanted payment in full. Its past the Texas SOL DOFD was 02/07 so it will remain on CR about another 3 years - This is my last baddie.

Got a call today from Chase Executive Customer Service stating that received the complaint and they are reviewing it. She will contact me in a couple of days.

I will update this thread with results.

Well,

Just got off the phone with Chase ECS and they have a offer for me

History:

All three CRA's has this listed as Chargeoff for $6,322.

DOFD was 3/07

Texas SOL is 4 years so they cant sue - keep inhouse (never went to CA.

Offer:

50% in one lump sum payment ($3,162.00) and they will delete from all CRA's (will be in writing)

whatcha think?

Thanks!

So the debt is outside of SOL since DOFD was in 07.

Also, it would seem it is outside CRA reporting because more than 7 years has elapsed.

I'm confused. What is your question? It shouldnt be on your reports any longer and they cant sue for any alleged balance so....

IF it's still on your credit reports, you should dispute as obsolete.

IF it's not on your reports, then you should file a complaint with the CRPB for attempted collection by offering a fraudulent inducement ( and out right lie )

I filed a complaint with the CPFB in Oct. Got a response saying they were awaiting response from the CRA, this is regarding a CA reinsertion with no notification. I recorded a response saying that the CRA sent the complaint to the data furniture and will get back to me in 60 days.

In your opinion, is this a good or a bad sign? I really want this CA gone and i was under the impression that the CRA shouldn't get that chance once they clearly violated.

If an OC is reporting payments thast I never made in the payment history of a charged off account, then making it seem as if I have new 30, 60, 90 lates, then a new CO, do I have grounds to file a complaint with the CFPB? They are purposely tanking my score....

you have to dispute it first with the CRA;s before the CFPB will take a complaint.

letter to the CRA's -

the recent payment history and new charge off is false - ( list out exactly what is on your report )

- this account was charged off on xx-xx-xxxx and no further payments were ever made ,

attached is a copy of a credit report on xx-xx-xxxx, that indicates the original charge off

you have to dispute it first with the CRA;s before the CFPB will take a complaint.

letter to the CRA's -

the recent payment history and new charge off is false - ( list out exactly what is on your report )

- this account was charged off on xx-xx-xxxx and no further payments were ever made ,

attached is a copy of a credit report on xx-xx-xxxx, that indicates the original charge off

Awesome!!! Thanks so much!!! I'll get this out on Monday!!

I have a comenity CO on my credit reports that I was an AU on. They also said they sold the acct in Sept on EQ bit still updated it for Oct on TU & EX. Filed complaint. They also never answered my 623. About a week later received email it's being forwarded to the FDIC.

Is that unusual? Or standard practice?