Sign in to follow this  
woowoo

Unauthorized Hard Inquiry - General Revenue Corp

Ok, I was looking at DH credit report, saw an inquiry from General REvenue Corp. No where on CR list this as a creditor, so i called up the number asked who/what they wanted.

I acted as my DH (his name is gender-neutral)LOL, CSR said it was a debt from Strayer Unv. of $293, they are trying to collect blah blah.. I say the amount was paid for in full to Strayer, b/c I had to pay in order to register for new quarter.

CSR goes on to say, i need to get evidence to them it was paid and they will close out. I asked why is there a hard inquiry on my CR, that I did not authorize w/ signing an application for credit, loan etc.. CSR said GRC was hired by Strayer to collect. Well I told CSR then she needs to get info that acct was paid for in full and to remove this inquiry from my TU (while lol in her ear).

(This when it gets heated folks)

CSR goes on to tell it would be faster for me to provide (I'm doing their job), to give them info. I laugh and stick to my guns. I said the relationship you allege you have with Strayer should make it easier for you to collect information on debt, and provide document where I signed to say I authorized you to pull TU report to collect this debt.

CSR says its my responsibility to get info to GRC, GRC was "hired" to collect this default debt. I told her I know that the bill was paid b/c I would have been able to register for classes this quarter, so that being that, I still want to know why you have authorization to pull a hard inquiry? She couldn't, so I laughed and said if you are getting info from anyone its from Strayer and not me, b/c I have no legal relationship to provide you anything. CSR says no, we do have a relationship, I said no, I'm just a third-party in all this and I dont recall signing anything to say I do, so have a Great day! CLICK

I am so heated, right now - its not even my report, DH is like :blink: . I called Strayer accounts they see acct was paid and will pass info to their manager to notify GRC. I asked about hard inquiry she could not answer.

People let it be know, There is about to be some smoke in the city!!!!!!

:ph34r::aggressive::ph34r::aggressive::ph34r::aggressive:

I dont know if Unauthorized Inquirty to GRC is enough, I may need suggestions!

If they have an account for collection purposes then it is a permissible pull. You are wasting your time here.

Strayer was paid in full (never got messages from GRC, mail etc..) Unless they have called and hung up, or called vmail but never left messages.

Seems to be lapse on Strayer acct office. This inquiry IS unauthorized in my mind.

Strayer was paid in full (never got messages from GRC, mail etc..) Unless they have called and hung up, or called vmail but never left messages.

Seems to be lapse on Strayer acct office. This inquiry IS unauthorized in my mind.

In your mind, perhaps, but legally, they have permissable purpose since Strayer placed an account with them.

those bastards did it to me over defaulted student loans. I tried everything to get them to recode it and they wouldn't. I gave up and bumped off the TU one and the EX is falling of this month. I have rehabbed the loans so I'm glad they are out of their hands!

the have PP so it is authorized... and as far as you providing evidence that it was paid is doing their work for them, yes it is, but its much faster and can avoid having a collection acct added to the CR. On this, i wouldn't get into a p*ssing match arguing over whose job it is - send them the info and be done with it. No point in cutting off your nose to spite your face. :)

Just because a consumer doesn't authorize a hard or soft pull doesn't mean it's not permissible. Two totally different meanings.

Not really... Generally a consumer authorizes the review of credit (HP or SP) at application for the life of an account, deeming all pulls from current lenders 'permissible.'

Seriously, learn to pick your fights.

Also, by delaying them, you may be giving them time to put the actual account on your CR, and then you have a more detrimental situation, with more work to fix it.

The pull was permissible, and getting indignant over a single hard pull is bordering on ridiculous.

But good luck! ;)

Just because a consumer doesn't authorize a hard or soft pull doesn't mean it's not permissible. Two totally different meanings.

Not really... Generally a consumer authorizes the review of credit (HP or SP) at application for the life of an account, deeming all pulls from current lenders 'permissible.'

That's but one component. There are all those soft pulls consumers don't authorize for pre-approved cards for instance; those likely account for more pulls than anything else. Yet, it's like the Columbia Record Club, you have to say you DON'T want that to stop it.

I went to have a procedure at a hospital, paid in full that day, they did a soft pull. Said anyone with whom they establish a relationship or might establish a relationship can have his or her credit pulled, mind you a business relationship, NOT a debt.

That is why they should really modify credit reports and/or scores to show whether it is actually someone applying for new credit or not. Getting a new bank account, tv service, going to the hospital, etc shouldn't negatively effect credit.

I had something similar happen with Chase student loans. I was cutting it really close with payment because I had dropped below half time status for 1 semester but I was going to get it back the semester afterward. Well, since I dropped below half time they then made my account due... the past due date and my starting of the next semester cut really really close together. Within like 5 days of being late Chase had apparently sent the file to a collection agency. I had never been delinquent on this account ever before. So, at about 5 days past due or so, the account went back into in school deferrment and I thought all was well.

About a week later I see this hard inquery show up on my credit report and it said something like Asset Management. I'm like WTF is that? I then get a phone call saying that I owed them 35k payable immediately bla bla and that my account had been referred to them by Chase. I tried to explain that the accounts were in deferrment and in fact not past due and to please contact Chase etc... they of course said the same thing you heard and that I had to convince them of this fact.

I tried calling Chase and they wouldn't really listen to me at all because my accounts were deferred... all the reps were like, no we haven't sent your file to a collection agency. And on top of that, they denied that they even use the company that was calling me.

I ended up pulling deferrment papers out of the trash can and taping them back together so I could fax them to this agency and FINALLY got a supervisor on the phone at Chase that believed me and would research my account. Now, the part I wanted to point out to you in my story, is I told Chase that they did an unauthorized hard inquery on my credit for something that should never have happened. She said she would look into it. At first I thought I would never hear from her again. But, in about 4 days, I received a call from her apologizing profusely and saying that it was an error in their system and they had contacted the company to tell them to leave me alone and that she also told them to remove the inquery from my report.

They did leave me alone but the inquery wasn't budging. So, a few nasty letters faxed over to the agency and the inquery disappeared. So, you might actually get them to remove the inquery if you raise a big enough stink about it. I knew I could have B*'d it but it was on TU and if I do get reinsertion in April, I certainly didn't want it to come back.

GRC is awful. I've been trying to work with them about a debt I have with the college I graduated from. Instead, they contacted my mother, in another state-havent lived at that address in over 3 years. They not only disclosed my debt amount, they gave her a mailing address where to send payment. She had been paying small amounts for over 5 months. Worst part is my college just doesn't seem to care about it.

Thanks you guys got all your comments, I think this will be one battle I choose to fight. Bc dh is really friendly with strayer staff they know him by name bc he always at school. verify friday that account has been reported paid to oc and get the manager to write a letter to delete TU inquiry.

If that doesn't work dispute it with tu as not authorized he already has a valid fraud alert on file. Last plan is to write grc executives, bbb.

I wonder if you had a "FREEZE" on your CR's, if they could have still pulled your credit??? I say lock them out if at all possible.

I wonder if you had a "FREEZE" on your CR's, if they could have still pulled your credit??? I say lock them out if at all possible.

The CA's can still add accounts to your file if it's frozen, but I am not certain about pulling inquiries.

There is a fraudalert on his for over 3 years on his report, is that the same as a freeeze? When he dud apply for new truck no inquiries were noted on tu at all. So it baffles me to know how they got on it.

On 2/2/2011 at 7:16 PM, woowoo said:

Thanks you guys got all your comments, I think this will be one battle I choose to fight. Bc dh is really friendly with strayer staff they know him by name bc he always at school. verify friday that account has been reported paid to oc and get the manager to write a letter to delete TU inquiry.

If that doesn't work dispute it with tu as not authorized he already has a valid fraud alert on file. Last plan is to write grc executives, bbb.

did you win the fight?

On 2/2/2011 at 6:03 PM, cputrwz said:

I had something similar happen with Chase student loans. I was cutting it really close with payment because I had dropped below half time status for 1 semester but I was going to get it back the semester afterward. Well, since I dropped below half time they then made my account due... the past due date and my starting of the next semester cut really really close together. Within like 5 days of being late Chase had apparently sent the file to a collection agency. I had never been delinquent on this account ever before. So, at about 5 days past due or so, the account went back into in school deferrment and I thought all was well.

About a week later I see this hard inquery show up on my credit report and it said something like Asset Management. I'm like WTF is that? I then get a phone call saying that I owed them 35k payable immediately bla bla and that my account had been referred to them by Chase. I tried to explain that the accounts were in deferrment and in fact not past due and to please contact Chase etc... they of course said the same thing you heard and that I had to convince them of this fact.

I tried calling Chase and they wouldn't really listen to me at all because my accounts were deferred... all the reps were like, no we haven't sent your file to a collection agency. And on top of that, they denied that they even use the company that was calling me.

I ended up pulling deferrment papers out of the trash can and taping them back together so I could fax them to this agency and FINALLY got a supervisor on the phone at Chase that believed me and would research my account.

This is why we never toss or shred documents like that.