Sign in to follow this  
butterflywings

Here is what I do to have $50 extra a month for c.c payments

Oh...and dont shop hungry. I had a craving for eggrolls tonight and spent twenty bucks :roll: The eggrolls were 3$

and of course dont take your 4 year old with the big blue eyes and long batting eyelashes with you, because she spends worse than her mom :wink:

I am a compulsive shopper :oops: Thank goodness I got a job now, so I dont have time to shop....I should be out of debt in no time :8)

I have found I save ALOT of money when I avoid Walmart like the plague :wink:

Sorry GEORGE :)

I save a lot of money by buying my groceries at WalMart. A box of cereal, for example, is about a dollar cheaper at Walmart for the same brand and size. I buy the WalMart brand of coffee, which saves me about $3....and I drink a lot of coffee. I save more than the $50 suggested in this thread by shopping at WalMart for groceries compared to my local supermarket which is the only game in town.

But you are right, you have to be focused or you will discover things you think you need but which are really just "wants."

Sorry GEORGE :D

I save a lot of money by buying my groceries at WalMart. A box of cereal, for example, is about a dollar cheaper at Walmart for the same brand and size. I buy the WalMart brand of coffee, which saves me about $3....and I drink a lot of coffee. I save more than the $50 suggested in this thread by shopping at WalMart for groceries compared to my local supermarket which is the only game in town.

But you are right, you have to be focused or you will discover things you think you need but which are really just "wants."

I know what you mean. Fortunantly for us, our local grocery store rebuilt and its massive...they are cheaper than walmart now and we avoid seeing/throwing extra things in the cart.

Our closest walmart is 20 miles away and in a busy tourist town so its not to hard to stay away :wink:

Sorry GEORGE :lol:

I know what you mean. Fortunantly for us, our local grocery store rebuilt and its massive...they are cheaper than walmart now and we avoid seeing/throwing extra things in the cart.

Our closest walmart is 20 miles away and in a busy tourist town so its not to hard to stay away :wink:

Our closet Walmart is 30 miles away. The local supermarket ran its competitors out of business, and then raised its prices as it had no local competition. Those with transportation and who really want to save can drive 30 miles, stock up and save big time. You ought to see the cat food I buy during one trip at a savings of 15 cents a can....and, that is on name brand. If I buy the WalMart version, I save even more. I buy about 3 weeks minimum of items at a time.

The next closest WalMart is in a city about 50 miles away. Since I am in that city about twice a month, I often alternate WalMarts based upon convenience. There are two cheaper competitors in the nearby city, but you have to bring your own bags, and do your own bagging---and the selection is not as good.

I just love this thread!

I can't wait to try this water heater thing. My power bill went from $80.00 last month to (gasp!) $195.00 this month???WTF!

Also, Years ago I read the tightwad gazett. Talk about people saving $$.

Some of it is really undoable...well...not undoable...but...not very fun.. :D

But in all these years, I havent forgotten what the book said.

I have found other web sites that celebrate frugalness if anyone is interested. :)

Dollar Streacher www.streacher.com

Miserly Moms www.miserlymoms.com

www.notjustbeans.com

Hmmm..one would think for all my 'frugality'.....I wouldnt have any debt! :oops:

Hubby and I have been working on a budget for quite some time now.

The way I found an extra $325 a month? I went to the irs.gov website and used their withholding calculators to figure out how many exemptions we should claim to end up receiving the smallest refund we possibly could.

Why let the IRS have your money all year interest free? If you like having the "big check" at tax time, set up an automatic savings plan to a bank account not convienent to your home so you won't be tempted to run up there every other day. Come tax time, transfer the money over and I bet it'll be more than had you let the IRS take it.

We've also dumped Hollywood Video in favor of Netflix as another poster mentioned. We were constantly paying late fees and were EASILY spending $20 a week on videos- now I pay $22 a month for whatever I want, can keep it however long I want and have a HUGE selction of movies to choose from while sitting at home in my slippers.

Hubby and I have been working on a budget for quite some time now.

Why let the IRS have your money all year interest free? If you like having the "big check" at tax time, set up an automatic savings plan to a bank account not convienent to your home so you won't be tempted to run up there every other day. Come tax time, transfer the money over and I bet it'll be more than had you let the IRS take it.

We've also dumped Hollywood Video in favor of Netflix as another poster mentioned. We were constantly paying late fees and were EASILY spending $20 a week on videos- now I pay $22 a month for whatever I want, can keep it however long I want and have a HUGE selction of movies to choose from while sitting at home in my slippers.

I used to do taxes. It never failed to amaze me that many people would use the IRS as a means of "saving" money so they would have a big rebate coming to pay off a big bill. When given the suggestion to change, they just simply said they couldn't save it any other way.

On the Netflix idea, that is a good one. Walmart has a similar service at around $16 a month. You can try it out free for one month. Just go to the WalMart website for more info. Even if you don't continue the service, you have a month's worth of rentals free.

I've tried and tried that IRS withholding calculator and it doesn't work for me. Used H&R Block's and Turbotax and those come out fairly close. I've been meaning to call the IRS and ask what's up with it. It does it right if no deductions are put in but the minute I start adding the deductions it says I'm over paying like $20k which is way off.

Love the water heater idea. Gonna check ours out. Our electricity bill is a thorn in my side. We installed the timer thermostat last year and immediately saw savings. We don't turn off our A/C but do have it not come on until about 85 degrees. Works wonderfully!

This is the best thread... I love thrifty stuff.

My wife & I save a ton of money by going to Sams Club atleast once a month. Yes, there's tons of things there that you need to stay away from, but if you know what you're looking for, and stick to buying what you planned on buying, you're going to save!

Example:

Kraft Macaroni & Cheese - 10 boxes for $6.99

There's many things there that give you double quantity for the same price you'd pay at the local grocery store.

I also started buying some of the kids school clothes there last month. I bought Reeboc shoes for 14.99 each pair. Jeans for my sons at 12.99 a pair. etc........

And one of my favorites is the FREE SAMPLES...... I'm getting hungry already.

I made $812 in interest last year by using Yahoo! Bill Pay alone.

For all payments that are the same amount if you pay them the day they arrive, or you pay on the due date (mortgage, cable, phone, 0% offers, car payments, etc), pay them on the due date.

For payments that are accruing interest at a daily rate, make these payments ASAP. I usually go to the vendors website for this, it is faster than using Yahoo!.

Yahoo! finance ties in everything for you. I have all my loans, bank accounts, cc's, everything right in front of me. It is only $4.95 a month.

You can seeing everything, including your live bank balance.

By paying the right stuff early, and the right stuff on the due date. I saved/earned $812 last year alone. This is all shown to you in the money manager. It has really simplified my finances.

I would like to hold 20 prime CC's some day, and with out a tool it would be really hard to keep track of that many accounts.

I am trying to "link" my accounts but keep receiving the following error message:

Our service provider is experiencing temporary technical difficulties, please try and register your account later

Just me? Or them?

Jessica

I would like to second the person who said not to take your children shopping with you! A couple days ago I went to the store to pick up some printer ink and walked out with two computer games as well! They didn't even ask for them, but were so well behaved in the store and were admiring the games while I was picking out ink... I then thought about how the games will keep them busy while I try to draft my next round of letters, so I got them for them. lol

I've already scraped my budget to the bone, so what I need is a way to earn a little extra $$. Even just $100 - $200 a month would be great. From home would be ideal, if outside the home I can only put in 4 hours one or two days a week. No selling, no MLM. I've been keeping an eye out for openings to deliver the weekly paper, etc. There are all sorts of "business opportunities" in the classifieds but I assume every one of them is a scam. Any ideas?

Here's how I save money:

No air conditioning (and it's been 100 here for a few days!)

No cable

No cell phone

No high-speed internet

Four year old computer

Thirteen year old car

Borrow movies from library at no cost

Read books from library at no cost

Only water the front lawn

Only wash dishes once a week

Only shower once a week :wink:

Splurges:

$3 for a 12 pack of diet cherry coke per week

$2 for lottery tickets per month

T-t-t-t-t-t-that's all, folks!

Everytime I tell someone this, they don't believe me...but my Dad has been doing it for YEARS and it DOES WORK. But of course there are some people here who never use cash :(

Everytime you buy something with cash, and you get pocket change back, stash it. DO NOT spend it. I stash mine in my empty coffee and altoid tins at my office.

My Dad used to pay for our vacations when I was a kid by doing this...

When I was at my Dad's last year, my step mom bought him a change counter / sorter...since as of last Fall, he had TWO 5 GALLON buckets FULL of silver, and another 5 gallon bucket FULL of pennies.

Just last month, I left my wallet at home by accident, and needed gas and I was hungry to boot...

3 ALTOID TINS full of silver = $43 and some change...

Another BIG one I see alot of people NOT do, is trimming their water bill. The toilet in the downstairs bathroom would run every now and then, and with all the things going on, I just got lazy and ignored it. Fixed it last month....our water bill DROPPED almost $20.00............

The Starbucks coffee tip was a good one...I have my own coffee pot in my office. I get to the office around 6:45 every morning, and on a normal day, I've finished my first pot of coffee by 8:30-9:00am...I can't imagine how much that cost me every week if I bought it at Starbucks :shock:

I'm told that cutting down cigarette and alcohol consumption saves money.....but I'm not interested in trying that out...it's probably just hype. :lol:

I've already scraped my budget to the bone, so what I need is a way to earn a little extra $$. Even just $100 - $200 a month would be great. From home would be ideal, if outside the home I can only put in 4 hours one or two days a week. No selling, no MLM. I've been keeping an eye out for openings to deliver the weekly paper, etc. There are all sorts of "business opportunities" in the classifieds but I assume every one of them is a scam. Any ideas?

I just bought a snack machine and put it in at the hospital I where I work. I lucked upon this opportunity in that the other snack machine is in the lower floor (basement) and not convenient. Coca-Cola put a new machine on the main floor and I got permission from my boss to put a snack machine next to it. I have only had it in for 2 weeks but it seems to be making about $20 in sales a day @ 50% profit ($300 per month). Machines are not cheep and good locations are hard to get.

I am looking at putting "honor boxes" at some locations soon. These are cheap ($7-$12) and you put them in locations that most venders overlook. These are good for smaller offices (10-20 employees) but theft can be a big problem. I bought an ebook on vending that was very good before I got my machine and if you are interested I can PM you the website. The information I have says I should be able to run 6 locations in an hour, once a week. I think I should average $20-$40 per location, per week in sales, 50% profit, 20% theft. ($9-$18 profit per week per location x 6 locations x 4 weeks = $216-$432 per months for 4 hour of work) These numbers have not been tried, this is just my plan and I am trying to estimate on the low side.

honor_snack_boxes_2_small1.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck!

You could also consider signing up for research groups or mystery shoppping. I once did this and got a friend involved. Today, she earned $60 from this research group by trying out new flavors of chewing gum and giving her opinion. She does this about twice a month.

Now, this may not appeal to some people; however, this does benefit others while giving people money in the process. Nearby,there are some people from respectable walks of life who go to plasma donation centers to donate their blood plasma. Potential earnings a month is around $200. This center does not take junkies, etc.; those donating have to meet specific criteria.

I've thought about snack machines before, but have absolutely no money to invest. I'll keep it in mind if I find something else to pay for the initial investment. I'll have to think about where I could put one. I wouldn't even consider an honor box. We used to have one at a place I worked 20 years ago. Twenty employees, all really nice people, and the box owner kept the box right in his work area, and there was still rampant theft.

I belong to a market research company - make $5 - $15 for each survey, but it only adds up to an average of $10 per month. Do you know the name of the one where your friend made $60?

I got an ad in the mail for plasma donors a few years ago. I might check into that. I'm not especially fond of needles, but maybe I could tolerate it for a few bucks. Do you know how often you have to go in to make $200? Bet it's a couple times a week....??

Good ideas, guys. Keep 'em coming.

I've thought about snack machines before, but have absolutely no money to invest.

I belong to a market research company - make $5 - $15 for each survey, but it only adds up to an average of $10 per month. Do you know the name of the one where your friend made $60?

I got an ad in the mail for plasma donors a few years ago. I might check into that. I'm not especially fond of needles, but maybe I could tolerate it for a few bucks. Do you know how often you have to go in to make $200? Bet it's a couple times a week....??

Good ideas, guys. Keep 'em coming.

The snack machine thing can work but it has to be in the right location, and you do have to have money for the original investment. I think you need to focus upon activities that do not require up front investment for you.

The market research company is McMillan Research. I don't know if it is nationally based or not. I do know they have a business location at the Charleston Town Center in Charleston, WV.

As to the plasma donation, this is advertised heavily in our local newspapers. I called to see what it is all about. The one that operates in the nearby city screens participants, etc. Yes, the $200 a month comes from twice weekly donations, which isn't really a problem as you are not donating red blood cells. You can check your newspapers or telephone directory for one that operates in a nearby city.

As for the vending machines...

Don't forget...Sam's club sells 'em...or at least they used to. And don't forget local classifieds / trading post type papers..you can get 'em dirt cheap.

Back when I was working as a GM technician, everybody was always running out of cigarettes, and the nearest store was 15 minutes down the street...so after talking with the Service mgr, I told him we ought to get a cigarette machine installed.

I bought a beat up old cig machine for $150. I'd go and buy cartons of the brand I knew people smoked, stocked it up and priced it right at what the prices most 7/11 type stores were charging. Even with the low cigarette prices ( compared to now ) I still managed to make about $300-500 a month....

As for working from home, do some research on medical transcription...a friend of mine's wife did this when she couldn't keep working when she was pregnant the first time. Now, 2 kids later, she does this full time from home so she can stay home with her kids, and she makes 20-25k a year.

HTH

Plasms Donations:

I've done this and had an overall good experience. However if you don't like needles you might not like it. Over a 6 month period I only had one bad stick but it HURT. Its is definatly worth a try if there is one close to you. I quit donating because I moved and it's not worth driving 60-70 miles to donate.

Vending Machines:

I passed on this the first time I had the chance to put one in because of no funds. The second time I got the chance I had improved my credit and got a DCU Visa to buy the machine. Keep an eye out for a location and keep working on you credit and one day it may happen for you.

About the vending machines at Sam's. They are expensive and cheap built. I bought a refurbished name brand machine for half the price of a no name machine at Sam's. Used machines are cheaper than refurbished, but the refurbished had new paint, had been inspected and repaired by a cetified tech, and had a 90 day warrenty.

Sam's Price $3280 including shipping

Refurbished Crane/Natl 145 $1604 including shipping

But I do buy my snacks at Sam's.

Plasms Donations:

I've done this and had an overall good experience. However if you don't like needles you might not like it. Over a 6 month period I only had one bad stick but it HURT. Its is definatly worth a try if there is one close to you. I quit donating because I moved and it's not worth driving 60-70 miles to donate.

Vending Machines:

I passed on this the first time I had the chance to put one in because of no funds. The second time I got the chance I had improved my credit and got a DCU Visa to buy the machine. Keep an eye out for a location and keep working on you credit and one day it may happen for you.

About the vending machines at Sam's. They are expensive and cheap built. I bought a refurbished name brand machine for half the price of a no name machine at Sam's. Used machines are cheaper than refurbished, but the refurbished had new paint, had been inspected and repaired by a cetified tech, and had a 90 day warrenty.

Sam's Price $3280 including shipping

Refurbished Crane/Natl 145 $1604 including shipping

But I do buy my snacks at Sam's.

My wife just now called me from Sams asked me if I needed anything :)

I'm curious. When you setup a vending machine in a building, do you have to pay the company/building owner any of the profits or rent space? What about the electricity?

Thanks....

You guys are full of great ideas. Going to try that Gas heater one. We use Microsoft Money to monitor our expenses. We used to be really out of hand with Dining out - 350-400 a month! We have sinced made a real effort to eat in and last month it was down to $99.

I also used to go grocery shopping and get what I need regardless of price. It was even worse when I was hungry. Since than we have given ourselves ( a family of four) $50 a week budget to go grocery shopping. We always go over, but now by being cognizant of what we spend, (take a calculator, we save about 150 a month on our groceries as well.

If you have two cars, try carpooling one week out of the month. Yes, Its a scarifice, but it will save money and gets you to spend QT with your loved one.

My wife just now called me from Sams asked me if I needed anything :)

I'm curious. When you setup a vending machine in a building, do you have to pay the company/building owner any of the profits or rent space? What about the electricity?

Thanks....

I nor the owner of the other snack machine in the buliding pay anything to the employer, but Coca-Cola has the soda machines and pays 5% or 10%. Some people pay 5-10% to the employer, but many employer sees it as a benefit because the employees don't have to leave to get a snack. It varies from one place to another. If other vendors in your area pay then a % of the profit, then you might have to to get a location.

You guys are full of great ideas. Going to try that Gas heater one. We use Microsoft Money to monitor our expenses. We used to be really out of hand with Dining out - 350-400 a month! We have sinced made a real effort to eat in and last month it was down to $99.

I also used to go grocery shopping and get what I need regardless of price. It was even worse when I was hungry. Since than we have given ourselves ( a family of four) $50 a week budget to go grocery shopping. We always go over, but now by being cognizant of what we spend, (take a calculator, we save about 150 a month on our groceries as well.

If you have two cars, try carpooling one week out of the month. Yes, Its a scarifice, but it will save money and gets you to spend QT with your loved one.

Hi! I am so glad that this thread that I started is helping everyone. ;)

May I ask you how you get your budget for 4 people down to $50 a week? Our budget is $75 dollars a week. I would love to get it down to $50. Would you be willing to share how you make that happen such as what dinners do you serve, what breakfasts do you serve and what beverages do you drink as well. I am so careful about what I buy for my family and I buy 1/2 my groceries at Walmart. Sam's clus is way too far away and yet walmart here is not yet a super store so I can only buy so much there.

Please share with me how you have your budget down to $50 and be as specific as you can for I want to learn from you. :D

Thanks so much!

As long as we're discussing cycling water heaters, you may want to check with your power company.

Some of them have "time of use" service, meaning they will install the on/off timer for you.

They will set it to turn off at times of peak usage- typically 6-9 am and 6-9 pm.

In some areas they'll install a 2nd meter just for the water heater, and give you a discounted rate on the electricity to boot, in others, you get a monthly bill credit, or a lower rate in general.

Radi8

Hi! I am so glad that this thread that I started is helping everyone. :P

May I ask you how you get your budget for 4 people down to $50 a week? Our budget is $75 dollars a week. I would love to get it down to $50. Would you be willing to share how you make that happen such as what dinners do you serve, what breakfasts do you serve and what beverages do you drink as well. I am so careful about what I buy for my family and I buy 1/2 my groceries at Walmart. Sam's clus is way too far away and yet walmart here is not yet a super store so I can only buy so much there.

Please share with me how you have your budget down to $50 and be as specific as you can for I want to learn from you. :P

Thanks so much!

I always go over every week. Whereas before my weekly bill was like in the 120 range, i figured if I tried really hard to stay on a $50 dollar a week budget, I would begin to feel bad once I hit the $75 mark and make some tough sacrafices. I also went from stocked shelves to keeping a very low inventory of food. why have that stuff sitting on my shelves? Here's another thing: we are not big Red-meat eaters. We eat lots of Ground turkey and lots of chicken, it's cheaper than the T-BONE OR porterhouse :-), don't buy any soda (water!), and probably go throught a six-pack of beer every month. And try to only buy the generic brand of chips for snacks. There was one month where I went crazy on red meat and my budget went up like $125!

I know it may sound like a stupid, undiciplined approach, but it works for me! Plus to ensure I stay on this budget, We are paying almost too much than what we can handle on our CC's so we don't get tempted to spend haphazardly. Another positive to that is that we should be debt free in 2-5 months, depending on if I have some good commission months. Hope this helps