Sign in to follow this  
butterflywings

Here is what I do to have $50 extra a month for c.c payments

May seem silly, but I turn all ketchup, steak sauce, shampoo, cream rinse, lotion, etc. bottles upside down on the new bottles and drain them completely rather than pitch them with that little bit left in the bottom. When I'm doing laundry and trying to get the last bit of detergent out of the bottle, I turn the bottle upside down in the washer and let it drain out as I am putting the clothes in and filling the washer with water.

DH always cracked on me for draining bottles in the kitchen, but DH isn't here anymore--and I am still draining. :(

I do this also. Also when I'm traveling and they oversupply the hotel room with shampoo, etc. for you to use while there, I stick it in my bag and take it with me. My hair is dry so I don't shampoo every day and I carry my own lotions with me. My room rent paid for these, so they go with me and are used as needed, such as when I forget to buy shampoo or even need a backup for travel.

I also ask for extra ketchups and salad dressings when I go through the drive through, and keep the unused ones in the refrigerator for use as needed. Some fast food places don't give enough to begin with so I like to make sure I have enough for my needs. Any excess not used is kept.

Ok, I tried going to Lowes.com and looking for a timer that hooks up to the heat/ AC but can't find it ... I know I'm probably not calling it correctly, does anyone know what the proper name for it is?

Does anyone know if this would work with a gas heater? (turning it off and on)

Just wondering....

my gas bill was only $17 last month. why on earth would I bother to turn it on and off to save a couple bucks???

By all means, prioritize your values and work from there. :(

Here where I live the electric company (Niagara Mohawk) is incredibly expensive and our water heater alone is over $50 a month, so it is most definitely worth saving $50 to flip a switch twice a day that takes, oh, about .0005 seconds total to do. LOL

Here where I live the electric company (Niagara Mohawk) is incredibly expensive and our water heater alone is over $50 a month, so it is most definitely worth saving $50 to flip a switch twice a day that takes, oh, about .0005 seconds total to do. LOL

I got stuck living in WNY for about 2 years. I remember Niagara Mohawk. I remember high state income taxes. If I were you I'd flip the switch to save too.

Just wondering....

my gas bill was only $17 last month. why on earth would I bother to turn it on and off to save a couple bucks???

Agreed, as for me, there are easier ways to save money. Personally, I'd rather keep it on than to deal with relighting it, etc. and then have it burn until it reaches the right temp for the entire tank of water.

Sure, I didnt think about the relighting aspect. My post was about electric water heaters and only having to flip a switch. Still, when someone only uses the water heater for a couple hours a day and yet there are paying for it to run 24 hours a day, some may find the value in turning it off. Its a matter of priorities etc.

May seem silly, but I turn all ketchup, steak sauce, shampoo, cream rinse, lotion, etc. bottles upside down on the new bottles and drain them completely rather than pitch them with that little bit left in the bottom. When I'm doing laundry and trying to get the last bit of detergent out of the bottle, I turn the bottle upside down in the washer and let it drain out as I am putting the clothes in and filling the washer with water.

DH always cracked on me for draining bottles in the kitchen, but DH isn't here anymore--and I am still draining. :lol:

I have a gas hot water heater (large capacity) with all my kids--but I am going to try the breaker switch thing. We don't have real set patterns though--some bath in the a.m., but most at night. Maybe I could cut it off at bedtime and turn it back on after we all get home from school? How long does the water in the tank stay hot after you cut the breaker.

I'm going in the closet in a minute--and hoping nothing else is hooked up to that same breaker!.

My water heater stays hot all day long. I can take a hot shower at night even aafter shutting the heater off 12 hours before.

P.S. I drain detergent bottles too. I bet more people do it than admit to.

:D

Ok, I tried going to Lowes.com and looking for a timer that hooks up to the heat/ AC but can't find it ... I know I'm probably not calling it correctly, does anyone know what the proper name for it is?

Duh! It's a programmable thermostat. I feel stupid .... :oops:

. . . another question on these, how easy/hard are they to install? I remember suggesting to DH last year that we purchase one and he balked and balked because we rent and he doesn't want to mess it up.

I got stuck living in WNY for about 2 years. I remember Niagara Mohawk. I remember high state income taxes. If I were you I'd flip the switch to save too.

Thanks Hegemony! Everything is expensive here! And then we have all that darn snow to contend with for 6 months. LOL

BUT, we took care of the high fuel costs. Yesirreee! We bought a Harmon pellet stove and our monthly winter heating costs (this is Buffalo folks) went from $300+ to $133. All we pay is for pellets. The pellet stove has a little blower but it only added about $15 to the electric bill. This stove heats our entire 5 bedroom, two story, 2400 square foot house. The great thing is we buy the pellets at Walmart and we never have to worry about the price of oil, etc. Best thing we ever did to save money I believe.

Just wondering....

Same here. My gas bill is usually around 16 bucks and change each month for my gas usage on my water heater, dryer, and range.

one thing I did about 6 months ago is switch to a no-name long distance provider. we pay 2.9 cents a minute with no fees. It feels really good to send sprint (our local carrier) a check each month just for local service.

I swear that sprint, mci, and att just try to confuse consumers with all their stupid plans. the company we use is GTC telecom < http://www.gtctelecom.com/ >and it was been great, although customer service after hours is 1800india.

Even clark howard recommends them.

another excellent website for saving $ would be www.bargainshare.com

there is a forum in there that discusses gorcery coupons, and basically how to get your grocery cost down to a fraction of retail. and other money saving advice

I use a Sam's Prepaid calling card and renew it over the phone by using my credit card. I haven't been in Sam's for a long time as I didn't get enough the last year I was a member to justify the membership cost. The service is AT&T at 3.4 cents a minute with no connecting fees.

We went on a diet to save money...really! I spend about $75 less on food per month than I did before...no convenience foods, not too much processed food, and I shop weekly, so as not to waste the veggies and stuff. I also do once a month cooking.

I like the water heater idea.

My contribution to this thread would be...oatmeal.

For $2.00 per work week, I can eat two packs of oatmeal a day for lunch. That's .40/day, vs. at least $5.00 on the drive through. Its got good cholesterol, tastes ok, most coffee pots in the work world have a hot water tap, so its easy.

I also quit drinking carbonated beverages. They're terrible for your body, anyway, and expensive.

We still eat out more than we should, but this helps offset it.

RC

What a great thread!! I too try very hard to stick to my budget. Lets not forget the most obvious way to save by "paying ourselves first." I've heard it a million times over the years, and when you really stick to it, it does work. Take a set amount of money from each pay check and put it aside (this is aside from any money that you may already regularly put into your savings).It can be any amount that you can stick with consistently, like $20 a week. No matter what, it must be put aside!!!! Even when you think you can't afford it, you very quickly learn how to work with what you have left, and won't miss the $20. At the end of the month, you have $80 that you would have "gobbled up" some other way, without even noticing!!!!

Sometimes we need to see things on paper (I know I do). Look at what you have to work with, subtract what is needed for bills, and then see what's left. Give yourself an allowance for the month, and then stick to it. Figure out what is left after your allowance, and determine an amount that you need to "freeze." When I do this consistently (though I'm a little out of practice), I have GREAT results!! It's a great feeling to see the amounts add up each month and to accomplish a goal!!

I make myself "freeze" a certain amount each month. That means it CAN NOT be touched NO MATTER WHAT!!! If I slip up and exceed my budget for a week, it must be deducted from the next weeks "allowance." The bottom line is at the end of the month, what I said I was gonna "freeze," I MUST freeze!!!! It becomes like a game of logic, skill and discipline!! You force yourself to think things through and "work things out."

There are a lot of good tips in this thread that I will put to use as well.

I also use ebates when I shop online. I've gotten over $250 back in the past 20 months. And you get $5 for each person you refer... hint hint...

I use a Sam's Prepaid calling card and renew it over the phone by using my credit card. I haven't been in Sam's for a long time as I didn't get enough the last year I was a member to justify the membership cost. The service is AT&T at 3.4 cents a minute with no connecting fees.

I do too and pay 3 cents per minute. :D

I made $812 in interest last year by using Yahoo! Bill Pay alone.

For all payments that are the same amount if you pay them the day they arrive, or you pay on the due date (mortgage, cable, phone, 0% offers, car payments, etc), pay them on the due date.

For payments that are accruing interest at a daily rate, make these payments ASAP. I usually go to the vendors website for this, it is faster than using Yahoo!.

Yahoo! finance ties in everything for you. I have all my loans, bank accounts, cc's, everything right in front of me. It is only $4.95 a month.

You can seeing everything, including your live bank balance.

By paying the right stuff early, and the right stuff on the due date. I saved/earned $812 last year alone. This is all shown to you in the money manager. It has really simplified my finances.

I would like to hold 20 prime CC's some day, and with out a tool it would be really hard to keep track of that many accounts.

You can check out Overstock.com. Sometimes you can find some really good deals there.

Also, I often check CircuitCity out online. Sometimes they have specials that are not available in the store, such as a rebate or gift card. Shipping and handling is usually free, which saves me money as the nearest Circuit City is 50 miles away.

Someone mentioned NetFlix earlier as a means of ordering unlimited DVDs a month for viewing at home. Walmart has a similar service which is less expensive.

I do too and pay 3 cents per minute. :lol:

I could swear that each time I renewed that they were very specific about the 3 and 4/10ths cent per minute. Perhaps it is the age of the card, as I have been renewing this card by phone since 2000. I know the ones you pick up in WalMart are even more expensive. Oh well, what is 4/10th's of a cent?

I made $812 in interest last year by using Yahoo! Bill Pay alone.

For all payments that are the same amount if you pay them the day they arrive, or you pay on the due date (mortgage, cable, phone, 0% offers, car payments, etc), pay them on the due date.  

For payments that are accruing interest at a daily rate, make these payments ASAP. I usually go to the vendors website for this, it is faster than using Yahoo!.

Yahoo! finance ties in everything for you. I have all my loans, bank accounts, cc's, everything right in front of me. It is only $4.95 a month.

You can seeing everything, including your live bank balance.

By paying the right stuff early, and the right stuff on the due date. I saved/earned $812 last year alone. This is all shown to you in the money manager. It has really simplified my finances.  

I would like to hold 20 prime CC's some day, and with out a tool it would be really hard to keep track of that many accounts.

Trying to set this up ... but man I am feeling dumb :oops:

Oh well I will keep trying to see if I can get it :D

Jessica

We have Talk America for our phone service and our phone bills were cut in half. We pay the same amount every month... around $68. This includes local service, long distance, intra lata, etc. and all the calling features too. We have been very pleased with them.

http://www.talk.com

For those of you with electric and gas bills that fluctuate with time of year and use, you may want to consider signing up for the budget plan. Basically, they review the previous year and then specify an amount to be paid each month. This enables you to plan set payments each month, and you don't have to deal with utility charges that wreck the monthy budget during high times of use as the payments are predictable.

As fellow Chicagoans on this board knows, gas has gone through the roof. Our gas bill hit the high point in Feb - $210. OUCH! That's two thirds of my half of the rent. Helloooo budget plan! It's really made a difference and will REALLLLY help this coming winter if it's as cold again.

I have found I save ALOT of money when I avoid Walmart like the plague :wink:

Sorry GEORGE :)