Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

USAA Credit Monitoring = Pre Approved Credit Offers

The last post in this topic was posted 3624 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

After joining USAA specifically for their credit monitoring service, the day after my second month billed, I noticed a "you're pre-approved" banner under their products menu. It turns out to be a $25,000 USAA Cash Rewards® World MasterCard® with 9.9% variable rate. I wasn't expecting this considering I got in only for the credit monitoring. It behooves folks to check their USAA menu options to see if you're pre-approved for anything as well. But I have some questions:

1) Is this "World" card one of those annoying cards like Chase or Citi that doesn't report a true credit limit and shows up on credit reports with a balance-implied credit limit? I despise this card format and opted out when Citi pulled this on me and they happily switched me back.

2) If you accept a pre-approved USAA offer, is there a hard pull?

I managed to get my father, who is retired military, into USAA in part so I can qualify for additional membership benefits. I added him and his new acct number to the family profile section, although it just shows his name and family status and not member number yet. I assume family members get the same benefits the servicemember gets, minus favorable terms for active duty personnel?

If I accept their pre-approval offer, it will be to replace my one Citi Mastercard that converted to a $60 annual fee card last year (although they billed it and credited it back with a "waived" note, even though I have not made a purchase with the card in years.) I know a permanent waiver of the fee is an almost impossibility once they stick it to you, so I'll be prepared to fire Citibank for that card next February when they try and bill it without a loss in available credit.

It's all part of my mission to gradually move all my banking business away from the bully boys and into credit unions.

Edited by wny

this is intriguing, I am about to be billed for my second month with usaa maybe I will also be so fortunate to be offered such a great credit product. If you don't mind me asking what kind of FAKOs are you showing with USAA?

Just got done looking for it, nothing there, it said I was not eligible for offers based on my personal profile, could this because I am not military?

I assume family members get the same benefits the servicemember gets, minus favorable terms for active duty personnel?

If I accept their pre-approval offer, it will be to replace my one Citi Mastercard that converted to a $60 annual fee card last year (although they billed it and credited it back with a "waived" note, even though I have not made a purchase with the card in years.) I know a permanent waiver of the fee is an almost impossibility once they stick it to you, so I'll be prepared to fire Citibank for that card next February when they try and bill it without a loss in available credit.

It's all part of my mission to gradually move all my banking business away from the bully boys and into credit unions.

I think in order to get insurance, your family member must have had insurance. I am not sure if as an adult, you can have your father join and then be able to get the insurance through USAA.

If you accept their preapproval, it will be an EQ hard.

USAA is an AWESOME bank! I love the deposit@mobile feature. SO much better than getting in the car and driving to the bank. Who would have thought a bank thousands of miles away would be so much more convenient than my local branch!

Edited by mysschevous

They are a fine place indeed. Can't get approved for credit there to save my life, but that's okay. I love all their products that I have.

The last post in this topic was posted 3624 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.