Sign in to follow this  
alexplantman

No $ for rent... what happens now?

You could try a charity or local church. Some offer help with living expenses for those on hard times. Also, if you have any type of freelance skills, advertise them so that you can make a little money quickly.

Also, it worries me that you got a payment advance from your employer. This usually leads to a long term situation of robbing Peter to pay Paul. Make a budget and write down all your debts and see if you need to adjust your lifestyle a bit, like subleting your place for something cheaper or getting a roommate.

First and foremost, getting in front of it is a billion times better than silently hoping it all goes away. Sounds like you are well on your way to talking to the creditors involved, so I know I am preaching to the choir on that one.

Next, find a way to make a few hundred bucks to get you through the rough patch. The horse is already out of the barn, but at least you can still see him and have a chance to catch him. I know this may be unpopular with some, but in a lot of areas, they will pay you for plasma donations, or in some states, whole blood. It won't make you rich, but it might help you get sorted out.

Print up some flyers and offer to rake people's lawns or clean up their properties, or maybe detailing vehicles and do so at a cut rate even though you know you might be worth more. If your son is of an age where he can help, you can use this as a great life lesson on how to get out of a jam through sheer sweat and toil. You have a great opportunity to teach your kid one of the most important life lessons possible, while working toward getting out of your mess.

Lastly, sell anything that isn't necessary to live and isn't nailed down. Possessions can be reacquired, but you don't want to get to a point where it's so much tougher to recover that it becomes life altering.

I sincerely wish you the best. It really sucks when bad things happen to good people. I hope you remember that even though it's painful financially, doing what you needed to do for your son is worth it.

Definitely call the loan company and ask about a deferral of this months payment to the end of your loan. I did this a couple times with Ford Motor Credit and they immediately accepted no questions asked.

Alex, I hope this is a once in a lifetime issue for you financially. You said this is due to the strain of the attorney costs, I hope that's over for you soon and everything gets back to normal...financially anyway.

Will it?

Or do you need to learn a new "normal"?

Being a single parent is (*no words*fit*) a very different lifestyle if you've never done it before.

The bitterness and anger of everything will fade, I promise.

Keep your chin up.

Also, I wanted to mention that you said you sold some stuff on eBay. That skill alone is a marketable & (don't shoot me people) under the table answer for short term goals. Right now everyone wants some Christmas money and is looking for a way to shore up some fast money. It's a good time to look for this kind of work, and it lasts until late March.

You go out and sell for people, take a commission on the sale.

Many do this as full time employment on the books (trading assistant), but every once in a while, it can help if you really know your way around the net.

Also, when you sell on Craigslist, check into the help wanted stuff for short term cash things. There might be something there for you too.

Good luck. Hang in there.

Thanks for all the ideas and positive thoughts... Yeah, I'll come out of this; I couldn't believe I actually sold the bike today :( .. between the mountain bike (Cannondale Rush FSR, for anyone that is into mtb's) $ and the helmet (Arai)$, that will cover what I was short on the rent and the credit cards... and I still a couple weeks until the due date on the car, so have time to call them up or come up with the $...

Once I'm done paying my attorney, that will free up about $1K / month, so yeah it will be a significant difference.. should be over and done with by Jan 2011.. :yahoo: That includes payments to the attorney and a deduction my employer is taking off monthly until Dec for a salary advance I got in June for the initial legal fees..

Then, I just have to focus on paying down the credit cards.. fortunately I can honestly say all the charges on the c/c revolved around my kids, attorneys, etc.. It's not all bad, on a positive note I can say "he who has the best attorney wins" :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: ; you'll just be broke for a while, lol...

I just went thru the same thing this past year (which has been a living nightmare for me). Got evicted from my apt in March. Where I screwed up was not talking to the property manager about my situation and maybe working out a payment plan. In housing court, the landlord's lawyer will offer a stipulation plan which says you have to pay off your back rent in installments. If you screw up and miss a payment, the city marshall will come and throw you right out like he did to me.

Go talk to the property manager. You can work something out with having to go to court.

In housing court, the landlord's lawyer will offer a stipulation plan which says you have to pay off your back rent in installments. If you screw up and miss a payment, the city marshall will come and throw you right out like he did to me.

Go talk to the property manager. You can work something out with having to go to court.

•  
  • How did that work out? Was it direct with the property's attorney or in Court in front of a judge?
  • How far behind where you?
  • How much of their legal fees did they make you responsible for?

I need to move to a smaller place, but with no $ for the deposit or paying for the move / rent truck I am SOL, it seems here for a whle

I don't know where you live, but here in NYC, the landlord can add as much as they want in attorney fees, but only a judge can make you pay them. You have to go to court, lose and have the judge order you to pay the fees. Failing that, it's nothing more than a scare tactic. I suggest you read up on landlord-tenant law/tenants' rights in your state and/or city. smile.gif