Sign in to follow this  
mdw2006

Tax officer busts kids' pumpkin sale

It wasn't a business, they where selling pumpkins, just like kids sell lemonade, or cookies etc.

Ones who have Christmas Tree lots get a permit and they should but that is different they probably make 1000 a weekend, what is a kid going to make on a pumpkin, koolaid stand maybe 50 bucks, possibly 100?

I think if they want the kids doing to pay taxes then make the kids pay it, the won't see their money till they kids are 18 and working oh wait they could garnish I guess at the next pumpkin sale.

Turn me in I am not going to make my dd pay taxes on her babysitting money, or the yard sale she is having this spring.

There are 40 pumpkins that we can see in that photo. At $8 a pop (average around here), that's $240, of which those kids got half, so $120. And that's just for the pumpkins that were present at that moment, and visible in the photo. How much you wanna bet their stock was refreshed at least a couple times over the course of the several weeks they were operating?

And that's another thing. Most lemonade stands last a day or two on the weekend, not the entire month of October. And how many parents sit at their kids' lemonade stand for them when the kid needs to be elsewhere?

Kami said she and her husband have decided they will continue to sell pumpkins from their home at 1012 8th Street. Jacob will be at his first wrestling match Saturday, but Sammy will be there to take care of the pumpkin sales.

Meh. This pisses me off and kills any sympathy I might have.

It wasn't a business, they where selling pumpkins, just like kids sell lemonade, or cookies etc.

Ones who have Christmas Tree lots get a permit and they should but that is different they probably make 1000 a weekend, what is a kid going to make on a pumpkin, koolaid stand maybe 50 bucks, possibly 100?

I think if they want the kids doing to pay taxes then make the kids pay it, the won't see their money till they kids are 18 and working oh wait they could garnish I guess at the next pumpkin sale.

Turn me in I am not going to make my dd pay taxes on her babysitting money, or the yard sale she is having this spring.

Were they trying to make a profit? Yes. Is a license required. Yes. Are taxes required on their profits. Yes.

If they want to enforce it, they can fine them the $100 bucks for violating the law. If it is not paid, they can do whatever it is they do to folks who don't pay up.

If you don't like the law. Fine. We all have laws we hate and we all hate paying taxes. Don't act like you are doing the right thing by teaching your kids not to follow the law.

Kami said she and her husband have decided they will continue to sell pumpkins from their home at 1012 8th Street. Jacob will be at his first wrestling match Saturday, but Sammy will be there to take care of the pumpkin sales.

Meh. This pisses me off and kills any sympathy I might have.

That really got me too. What a great attitude and wonderful example to set for kids. If you don't like a law, keep breaking it.

MDW, I dunno what's wrong with you today. :lol:

If the law is that your dd has to pay taxes on her babysitting money, she ought pay it. The law being stupid, or not, isn't really the point. It's still the law.

These kids needed a permit, or whatever. Stupid? Sure. But that's irrelevant.

Were they trying to make a profit? Yes. Is a license required. Yes. Are taxes required on their profits. Yes.

If they want to enforce it, they can fine them the $100 bucks for violating the law. If it is not paid, they can do whatever it is they do to folks who don't pay up.

If you don't like the law. Fine. We all have laws we hate and we all hate paying taxes. Don't act like you are doing the right thing by teaching your kids not to follow the law.

Who in the heck said I am not teaching my kids to pay taxes or break the law? No I will not make my kid pay taxes on babysitting, no I will not make my kid pay taxes on her yard sale, I guess if that makes me a "bad" person so be it.

Oh my son is working and paying taxes, maybe I am not such a bad person.

I owe taxes every.single.year. I pay them.

If the law is that your dd has to pay taxes on her babysitting money, she ought pay it. The law being stupid, or not, isn't really the point. It's still the law.

I didn't know a 13 year old had to pay taxes, does she file at the end of the year too.

and on another not I think the IRS or tax commission has more important things to do then go after pumpkin stands and babysitters.

Go after the people who owe tons of taxes, they sure come after me for a small amount why not go after people who owe 100,000 of thousands.

Oh and I am talking about kids or adults that work and get a paycheck not 5 bucks for lemonade.

Edited by mdw2006

MDW, do you babysit for your daughter? Look at the kids in the picture. Look at the pumpkins around them. You think they did that all by themselves? A lemonade stand is cute. Your daughter selling her jeans and necklaces you got her, also cute.. but those kids, and by kids, I mean their parents, look like they had a massive pumpkin deal going. I was at one last week, bishes rake in money like you wouldn't believe...

MDW, do you babysit for your daughter? Look at the kids in the picture. Look at the pumpkins around them. You think they did that all by themselves? A lemonade stand is cute. Your daughter selling her jeans and necklaces you got her, also cute.. but those kids, and by kids, I mean their parents, look like they had a massive pumpkin deal going. I was at one last week, bishes rake in money like you wouldn't believe...

The parents did help them, but I also know the kids did a lot of work too. So because parents help the kids, the kids do not deserve to make money.

Guess it doesn't matter what I say, at least I know in the town we live in the community came and helped out and that is all that matters, just because parents want their kids to be able to wresting or dance and they have to do something like this to earn money for it doesn't make them losers or bad people. I know why the father is on disability and is on it for a good reason.

I didn't know a 13 year old had to pay taxes, does she file at the end of the year too.

I know zero about tax law. All I'm saying, is IF it is the law, your opinion of the law doesn't mean you can ignore it.

I think it's dumb that I have to pay hundreds of dollars to register my car in Cali, so I haven't. But If I get ticketed for that, I can't claim "law stupidity" as a defense.

Edited by giraffy

hmmmm, well I take her there and sometimes pick her up and sometimes she watches the kids here, dam I should be making her pay me a percentage, ah but then I have to pay taxes on it..never mind.

The parents did help them, but I also know the kids did a lot of work too. So because parents help the kids, the kids do not deserve to make money.

Guess it doesn't matter what I say, at least I know in the town we live in the community came and helped out and that is all that matters, just because parents want their kids to be able to wresting or dance and they have to do something like this to earn money for it doesn't make them losers or bad people. I know why the father is on disability and is on it for a good reason.

WTF are you even talking about?? :blink: who said anything about disability? Or losers? Too much. :lol:

Ok, Sparky.. Are these, like your friends across the alley or something?

I'm all for tax evasion.. I'm just saying, it's easier to do if you run a dinky little mini pumpkin/brownie stand, than if your parents haul in and sell 5 *Admin removes vulgarity*tons of giant freak pumpkins the entire freakin month of October. Or half of it. Whatever.

Nobody said they don't deserve to make money, but they're going about it the wrong way.

By the way, and slightly off topic, some towns require a permit to hold yard sales. A permit costs money, and if you don't have a permit you get a ticket. So, it's not yard sale free for all everywhere..

Who in the heck said I am not teaching my kids to pay taxes or break the law? No I will not make my kid pay taxes on babysitting, no I will not make my kid pay taxes on her yard sale, I guess if that makes me a "bad" person so be it.

You said it. Not only in previous posts, but in the second sentence of the post I am responding to.

If they have to pay taxes and you are telling them not to, then they are breaking the law and you are telling them to do it.

What does your son paying taxes (as he should), have to do with another of your kids not paying taxes if they are supposed to? One does not cancel out the other.

So what if you owe taxes every.single.year? Plenty of us are in that boat and we too pay our taxes.

I know zero about tax law. All I'm saying, is IF it is the law, your opinion of the law doesn't mean you can ignore it.

I think it's dumb that I have to pay hundreds of dollars to register my car in Cali, so I haven't. But If I get ticketed for that, I can't claim "law stupidity" as a defense.

Exactly.

No one is perfect. As parents, I think we should try to teach our kids to do a little better than we have. It may not stick, but we should try. Telling a kid to break the law is not the way to go. I don't care what your family situation is.

If I were the parent in the original post, I would have handled it differently. I would have gotten the license. Told my kid that the tax man always has his hand out, so watch out and account for every penny. Justice may be blind, but the tax agent is not.

ETA: What does the father being on disability have to do with them paying taxes or license fees or such?

Edited by orangecrush

You said it. Not only in previous posts, but in the second sentence of the post I am responding to.

If they have to pay taxes and you are telling them not to, then they are breaking the law and you are telling them to do it.

What does your son paying taxes (as he should), have to do with another of your kids not paying taxes if they are supposed to? One does not cancel out the other.

So what if you owe taxes every.single.year? Plenty of us are in that boat and we too pay our taxes.

My kids DO NOT have to pay taxes, dd is 13 is does not work, ds does so yes he pays I do not tell him not to pay we where talking the other day how we will be doing tax returns this year due to him being 18.

dd babysits and until the IRS comes knocking on my door and shows me a law in the book that says they get 6 percent of that $15.00 bucks she made, no I am not going to make her just give 6 percent because she made 15 bucks.

Not saying you don't pay your taxes but don't be saying I am some sort of crook or bad parent either.

Mdw, why are you acting like you've taken leave of your mind? No one is saying you're a bad parent. No one said your dd has to pay taxes. What people HAVE said, is that IF she does, calling the rule stupid doesn't exempt you from it.

Holy phawk. :lol:

No one is perfect. As parents, I think we should try to teach our kids to do a little better than we have. It may not stick, but we should try. Telling a kid to break the law is not the way to go. I don't care what your family situation is.

If I were the parent in the original post, I would have handled it differently. I would have gotten the license. Told my kid that the tax man always has his hand out, so watch out and account for every penny. Justice may be blind, but the tax agent is not.

ETA: What does the father being on disability have to do with them paying taxes or license fees or such?

They where not breaking the law on purpose they didn't know a selling pumpkins would cause such a uproar with the IRS and once they came they did stop "selling" but I guess a town that helps out with donations and then takes a pumpkin because they are free we are all bad people.

A lot of people know this man, he prevented a kidnapping by a sex offender and was shot in the process, but he saved the kids. Just saying not sure where it was at but that they are bad people because they did this and they are not.

They where not breaking the law on purpose they didn't know a selling pumpkins would cause such a uproar with the IRS and once they came they did stop "selling" but I guess a town that helps out with donations and then takes a pumpkin because they are free we are all bad people.

A lot of people know this man, he prevented a kidnapping by a sex offender and was shot in the process, but he saved the kids. Just saying not sure where it was at but that they are bad people because they did this and they are not.

You are all types of ruffle feathered, ain't you.

Let's dicuss some facts.

Did the IRS come? I thought it was some chick from some other agency.

The dad sounds like an awesome dude. But awesome dudes, or chicks, don't get a free pass over legislation they don't like. It would me like me arguing the speeding ticket, cause I used to volunteer in soup kitchens. It hasn't worked yet.

There's a threshold, I'm sure, in the state of Idaho (?) for the amounts you make. I don't know what it is. Do you? Did this operation look like they were bringing in more than that threshold? I'm guessing the IRS is fine with your daughter's $15. I mean, at least in CA they would be. Stop being all dramatic cause your neighbors are trying to run a pumpkin patch and hide it behind their kids. :D

I can see where every one stands, so be it.

1. The parents didn't know they where breaking any law (as in a followup interview done on our local station) if the Tax Lady would have came and instead of the minute they open the door threaten this with this or that, maybe said

"hey you can't make more than this much a day or run it for only this many hours"

they would have said "hey okay" but I would be pissed to if someone just came right up and threatened me and if any of you say you wouldn't be you are lying.

2. They were not hiding a pumpkin patch behind their kids, maybe some people do and the only reason I know is because I know this family.

3, After they calmed down they stopped selling, the guy they got the pumpkins from said to give what they had left away, who cares if people decided to give a donation then take a pumpkin, we do donations around her for cancer patients all the time.

Edited by mdw2006

so you are breaking the law and you know you are and if you get caught you will pay, they didn't know they where breaking any laws.

so you are breaking the law and you know you are and if you get caught you will pay, they didn't know they where breaking any laws.

Edited by mdw2006

if the Tax Lady would have came and instead of the minute they open the door threaten this with this or that, maybe said

"hey you can't make more than this much a day or run it for only this many hours"

they would have said "hey okay" but I would be pissed to if someone just came right up and threatened me and if any of you say you wouldn't be you are lying.

What were her threats?

You're a gentle creature aren't you. When you go the DMV do you expect them to apologize the sht out of themselves for tacking on parking tickets and crap to your vehicle registration, and offer you payment arrangements? Or do they tell you what's up and hold out their hand for a check?

Cause, in California, they don't give a crap about your feelers.. They will straight up threaten to suspend your sht and keep tacking on fines till you pony up. Don't ask how I know, but this here is accurate info.

As far as IRS goes, this one day, they went ahead and emptied out my boss's checking account.. He was claiming he knew nothing about it before it happened. This family you know should be happy they didn't take their favorite donkey as collateral.