Sign in to follow this  
Jen2010

Credit Reports Flew Off Hood Of Car Into Streets!!!

I had all my credit reports with me in a folder yesterday and after work I had a lot of things in my hands. I placed the folder on top of my car and like a dummy forgot I put it there. On my way home, the folder flew off the car and into the streets. A total of about 7-8 pages with private info including credit info, name, address, date of birth, and in some I believe social security number. Last night, when I noticed the folder was missing, I drove to work again(so much fun) to see if I could find the folder. I was able to find two sheets, not even the folder. I'm worried that all that info may fall or has fallen into the wrong hands :cry2:

Was your SSN masked to only 4 digits?

I'd be freaked out about any co-workers/bosses possibly seeing my info...

This might be a good time to freeze your reports...

Other than that, I don't know that there's much you can do. Fortunately, none of your account numbers should have been listed, so they would just have your personal info.

Was your SSN masked to only 4 digits?

I'd be freaked out about any co-workers/bosses possibly seeing my info...

I thought I masked them for all but the one that I found had my full SSN :cry2:

Other than that, I don't know that there's much you can do. Fortunately, none of your account numbers should have been listed, so they would just have your personal info.

What does a freeze do and how long will it be frozen? LOL..I'm trying to make a joke out of this horrible situation :cry2:

What do you mean none of my account numbers should be listed? All the accounts are listed with their corresponding account numbers.

I just called TU and they were very helpful and gave me peace of mind.

They told me that they are going to put a fraud alert on my account, free of charge, for 90 days.

Any activity that goes on, they will contact me about it. They said they will forward this fraud

alert to EX and EQ as well so I don't have to contact them. They also told me that

I should make a police report and then forward a copy of it to them. That way, the fraud alert

can be extended to 7 years. They will also forward a copy of the police report to EX and EQ.

They also advised I call SSN administration to inform them about this.

They also offered me the credit monitoring service so that I can monitor my reports and score

30 days free of charge and after that, it will be $9.95 unless I cancel before-hand. I accepted.

I feel much better now.

What do you mean none of my account numbers should be listed? All the accounts are listed with their corresponding account numbers.

They generally don't show all of the account number. It usually has some of the numbers, with others starred out. ******4825 or something like that. If it has the whole account number, then you'll want to watch your statements closely for several months.

Tarbasd - her accidently losing her CR with her personal information is the equivalent of it being stolen in the case of loss and prevention. Making out a police report is a must at anytime your personal information is lost or stolen, this will save her a lot of headache down the road when she goes through the process of trying to prove that it was not her that racked up the charges. The 7 years on paper will definitely cover her and make life a lot easier. I have heard where it can take some people up to 2-3 years to dispute felonious charges and prove they were not the ones who made charges, mainly because they did not document with the police from the beginning.

Edited by fiscallyfit

They generally don't show all of the account number. It usually has some of the numbers, with others starred out. ******4825 or something like that. If it has the whole account number, then you'll want to watch your statements closely for several months.

OMG you got my account number! :blush2: :blush2:

Tarbasd - her accidently losing her CR with her personal information is the equivalent of it being stolen in the case of loss and prevention. Making out a police report is a must at anytime your personal information is lost or stolen, this will save her a lot of headache down the road when she goes through the process of trying to prove that it was not her that racked up the charges. The 7 years on paper will definitely cover her and make life a lot easier. I have heard where it can take some people up to 2-3 years to dispute felonious charges and prove they were not the ones who made charges, mainly because they did not document with the police from the beginning.

Thanks for the clarification. This is good to know.

A crime was committed: littering... if the police refuse to file a report, say you're turning yourself in for littering your own credit report on the ground accidentally.

OP, I'm glad that you feel better about this, BUT....I believe that what you wanted to do was FREEZE you reports so nobody could apply for credit.

I'm not so sure that you want a fraud alert or for that matter whatever monitoring product that they've talked you into purchasing.

You could purchase the USAA credit monitoring product written about on here and after a few months it should drop down in price to $6 or so monthly. Sign up at USAA.com

What type of snake oil did the CRA sell you anyway?

Edited by The Livid One