Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Wells Fargo Mod or Refi for Active Duty?

This message is 749 days old.  We'd prefer it if you'd start a new topic instead of replying to this one.

i wanted to get the experts opinion here if i should even attempt a refinance/modification. Heres the background... I am active duty Army for 15 years. i bought my house in 2005 at a respectable 6.25%. I have perfect credit (high DTI, explanation coming), no lates of any kind. I started a business in 2006 with a civilian partner and he left me holding the bag with $70,000 in credit card debt and 4 car loans after the small business crash of late 2007 and 2008. my corporation has since been dissolved and i have worked with credit card companies to lower interest rates on most of them (American Express, Citi and USAA helped actually). I have been shouldering these debts for 4 years now and dont seem to be getting anywhere. we have went from 4 car payments to 2 now and have been limping by. i have had too much pride to ask for any help from my lender in any way. the only way im going to get this revolving debt paid off is to trim off a little fat from my mortgage. i am enrolled in credit counceling and have scaled back in every way possible. my question is since my mortage is excactly 31 % of my base pay, its not owned by fannie mae or freddie, have no evidence of not being able to make payments because i pay my bills ontime every month no matter what.... what are my chances of getting at the very least an interest reduction. FICO scores running mid 600s right now, but with all this revolving debt DTI is running 70%. Would appreciate any comments from people who have had any experience with this or expert mortgage pros.

You may get an in house mod but I doubt it since you are at 31%. They put secured debt payments above unsecured debt. Do you have any equity in your house? If so could you try for a Refi?

UPDATE

I talked with a Wells Fargo rep today explained situation and it sounds promising. They are going to switch my loan from a conventional to VA loan and do a streamline no income/no asset refi so they can refinance 100% ltv since i lost most of my equity in the housing crash. Looks like rate will drop to less than 4.5%. We will see...

This message is 749 days old.  We'd prefer it if you'd start a new topic instead of replying to this one.