Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

13 year old boy, motrocyclist, youngest to die at Indy

This message is 749 days old.  We'd prefer it if you'd start a new topic instead of replying to this one.

I honestly don't understand why people can't disagree here without the vitriol that seems to follow.

Its funny that I asked for opposing opinions and said no flames, I respected everyone's opinion, but the only one getting flamed is me for feeling the way that I do. It's been interesting.

Because, what you've said so far is just that opinions. I'm telling you from a point of view of someone who HAS been on the track. It's nothing like what you're making it out to be and you're not letting what I'm telling you as where you're wrong over-ride the hysterics.

Its funny that I asked for opposing opinions and said no flames, I respected everyone's opinion, but the only one getting flamed is me for feeling the way that I do. It's been interesting.

:D:huh::rolleyes::(

I honestly don't understand why people can't disagree here without the vitriol that seems to follow.

What vitriol are you seeing?! Where is this flaming?!

I feel like I'm missing something. :rolleyes:

He didnt walk away from the crash, he raised his arms. If he could've walked away he would've tried to get out of the way wouldn't he? IIRC I read that they surmised he was pretty badly hurt because he wasn't able to get out of the way. I wish there was some sort of flagging system, a light that goes on, an alarm, anything when a racer goes down. Maybe that sounds stupid to you, but whatever, I don't race, don't know anyone who has raced, and have no experience of knowledge of this kind of sport to go on. I am just a parent who read about this in the NYT.

You weren't there nor was I. He could have but I can easily see that facing a pack of riders bearing down on him that he got spooked and just froze in place....where his first instinct was to wave to warn the riders instead of just running off the track. You can't tell me that in every fight or flight situation that you've always come up with the right decision.

BW, I think the point that some people are trying to drill home for you, is sometimes there's just not any blame to be had. Sometimes, all appropriate precautions are taken and accidents still happen. Sometimes, parents let their kids do things that might make them antsy, because their kid loves it. And those parents do what they can to make it a reasonably safe thing, and hold their breath and watch the kid enjoy life.

Edited by giraffy

He didnt walk away from the crash, he raised his arms. If he could've walked away he would've tried to get out of the way wouldn't he? IIRC I read that they surmised he was pretty badly hurt because he wasn't able to get out of the way. I wish there was some sort of flagging system, a light that goes on, an alarm, anything when a racer goes down. Maybe that sounds stupid to you, but whatever, I don't race, don't know anyone who has raced, and have no experience of knowledge of this kind of sport to go on. I am just a parent who read about this in the NYT.

You weren't there nor was I. He could have but I can easily see that facing a pack of riders bearing down on him that he got spooked and just froze in place....where his first instinct was to wave to warn the riders instead of just running off the track. You can't tell me that in every fight or flight situation that you've always come up with the right decision.

He could've surely been fine and froze in place, I was only going by what I read. Your idea of freezing in place is solid, never even thought of that. I'll just not say anymore since no one understands where I am coming from, and I know when I am way out numbered. lol :rolleyes: Waving the white flag of surrender.

Edited by butterflywings

BW, I think the point that some people are trying to drill home for you, is sometimes there's just not any blame to be had. Sometimes, all appropriate precautions are taken and accidents still happen. Sometimes, parents let their kids do things that might make them antsy, because their kid loves it. And those parents do what they can to make it a reasonably safe thing, and hold their breath and watch the kid enjoy life.

I know, and those kids probably have a helluva lot more fun childhood too and are probably very well rounded kids to boot.

Probably because he was at the front of the pack and other bikes were riding past him. The same reason you wouldn't get out of your car if you were in an accident and walk to the breakdown lane on the highway if other cars were still whizzing by. He held his arms up so the other riders would see him and not run him over...which is unfortunately what happened.

And BW, we do understand where you're coming from...we just disagree.

Edited by blackberry74

There is another aspect to this incident. The other rider. Those that ride know what I'm talking about when I mention target fixation. Target fixation is when you focus on something so much that instead of avoiding it you actually steer right into it. Here's an example of target fixation at work:

And no matter how experienced one gets riding motorcycles, it still bites the veteran riders every so often.

Probably because he was at the front of the pack and other bikes were riding past him. The same reason you wouldn't get out of your car if you were in an accident and walk to the breakdown lane on the highway if other cars were still whizzing by. He held his arms up so the other riders would see him and not run him over...which is unfortunately what happened.

And BW, we do understand where you're coming from...we just disagree.

FWIW, dh disagrees with me too. :rolleyes: He saw nothing wrong with anything, in terms of the boy being in this sport, the only thing that got him a little was the father posting on facebook about it hours after the boy died. He didnt see how a parent could even think of facebook when losing their son that morning.

There is another aspect to this incident. The other rider. Those that ride know what I'm talking about when I mention target fixation. Target fixation is when you focus on something so much that instead of avoiding it you actually steer right into it.

Exactly, that is why on the roads there are so many secondary accidents, people are so busy staring at the original wreck that they inadvertently cause another one.

There is a flagging system, so other riders on track know when someone's down, but I think they were right behind him with not a whole lot of time for flagging and stopping. :huh:

Instead of drilling and piling it on, maybe it's best to understand the fact that everybody has their own frame of reference, and respect that. No one is right or wrong on this argument, and no amount of "drilling" will change that.

Instead of drilling and piling it on, maybe it's best to understand the fact that everybody has their own frame of reference, and respect that. No one is right or wrong on this argument, and no amount of "drilling" will change that.

Whatever.

I don't see any "piling it on". I see differing opinions. It's amazing how some folks can't take a differing opinion being posted without taking it personally. :mellow:

:mellow: Wow, late pot stirrer.

Nobody piled on BW to scar her for life. She didn't have much insight into racing as a sport, and now she does. She asked for other people's opinions and she got a boatload of them, GF style. Now she's happily fluttering around other thread, motorcycle-enlightened, and you're still here trying to insitgate stuff. :mellow:

:P:P

Accidents happen..what are you going to do, wrap the kid up in cottonwool? My sister best friend kid started racing when he was 9...he went on to become a top F1 driver...and he just won another Grand Prixe...Lewis Hamilton...I would have hated to have been the parent that stifled that kid growing up... :)

ok..now I'll go back and read the thread...

Edited by Islandgal

He didnt see how a parent could even think of facebook when losing their son that morning.

I'm not saying it was right or wrong, but I can understand them wanting to get the word out to Peter's FB fans, knowing rumors were probably growing already. Also, it's possible the family had someone else posting for them. Yeah, I know it sounds lame. :)

He didnt see how a parent could even think of facebook when losing their son that morning.

I'm not saying it was right or wrong, but I can understand them wanting to get the word out to Peter's FB fans, knowing rumors were probably growing already. Also, it's possible the family had someone else posting for them. Yeah, I know it sounds lame. :wave:

We are not meant to bury our children. I can only imagine what the parents must have been going through. But with that said, Facebook is not something most parents would have even thought about. And I'm coming from the perspective of a parent.

Not the parent of a famous child, not a parent seeing my child die doing what he loved, simply...I parent that just lost a child.

:rofl: Wow, late pot stirrer.

Nobody piled on BW to scar her for life. She didn't have much insight into racing as a sport, and now she does. She asked for other people's opinions and she got a boatload of them, GF style. Now she's happily fluttering around other thread, motorcycle-enlightened, and you're still here trying to insitgate stuff. :wave:

Since you're obviously always right here, OK.

:rofl: Wow, late pot stirrer.

Nobody piled on BW to scar her for life. She didn't have much insight into racing as a sport, and now she does. She asked for other people's opinions and she got a boatload of them, GF style. Now she's happily fluttering around other thread, motorcycle-enlightened, and you're still here trying to insitgate stuff. :wave:

It takes a few or ten pages of cramming, oops I meant "drilling" to help people see the light.

Carry on... :huh:

Who's to say what a "natural" reaction is to losing a child? Just because Parent A would never think of going on FB a few hours later doesn't mean Parent B is wrong for doing it. Y'all are a trip without the luggage.

This message is 749 days old.  We'd prefer it if you'd start a new topic instead of replying to this one.