Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Having Surgery on September 15

The last post in this topic was posted 3742 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

So I have had awful heartburn problems for years and I am having a surgery done known as-

Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication Procedure to Correct Acid Reflux (GERD)

A description is linked here-

Heartburn Surgery

I have already had the Esophageal Manometry and PH tests. The PH test showed that I have stomach acid in my esophagus more than 65% of a 24 hour period, and can cause cancer. Has anyone else had it or known someone who has? I would just like to know some experiences or feedback. Thanks :D.

Step

DW had this surgery about 5 years ago now. She had to reintroduce food gradually over about 3 to 4 weeks, progressing from soups and jello, through things like mashed potatoes until she could eat normally again. The plus side as far as she was concerned is that she lost about 20lbs in this period.

Although the surgery helped enormously, after about 18 months, she started halving reflux problems again, although nowhere near as severe as they'd been previously. She now takes prilosec twice a day and that keeps things under control. She was a little disappointed that she did have to start taking meds. again but had been warned it was a (slight) possibility. She does not however regret having the surgery since it has meant a drastic improvement to her health.

Good luck with the surgery - I hope it goes well

DW had this surgery about 5 years ago now. She had to reintroduce food gradually over about 3 to 4 weeks, progressing from soups and jello, through things like mashed potatoes until she could eat normally again. The plus side as far as she was concerned is that she lost about 20lbs in this period.

Although the surgery helped enormously, after about 18 months, she started halving reflux problems again, although nowhere near as severe as they'd been previously. She now takes prilosec twice a day and that keeps things under control. She was a little disappointed that she did have to start taking meds. again but had been warned it was a (slight) possibility. She does not however regret having the surgery since it has meant a drastic improvement to her health.

Good luck with the surgery - I hope it goes well

Thanks a ton for sharing! Do you recall what kind of pain she had directly after the surgery? How long was she in the hospital? How did they control pain in the hospital? How severe was the pain when she went home? Anything you can share would be great!

Step

Hi Step,

She had the surgery on a Friday and came home on the Sunday. Her biggest problem was trying to get comfortable, she ended up sleeping in the recliner chair for a week because she couldn't get comfortable when lying down.

The surgery was done laporoscopically. She was on (oral) heavy duty pain meds for the first week but after that she didn't take anything. She likened the pain to that after a C-section since she couldn't straighten up initially. She did say it wasn't as bad as she thought it was going to be.

She felt ready to go back to work after 2 weeks but was actually off for 4 since the doctor wanted to have her eating normally before she went back.

I'm sure that techniques have improved even in the 5 years since her surgery so am sure you'll be fine.

Hi Step,

She had the surgery on a Friday and came home on the Sunday. Her biggest problem was trying to get comfortable, she ended up sleeping in the recliner chair for a week because she couldn't get comfortable when lying down.

The surgery was done laporoscopically. She was on (oral) heavy duty pain meds for the first week but after that she didn't take anything. She likened the pain to that after a C-section since she couldn't straighten up initially. She did say it wasn't as bad as she thought it was going to be.

She felt ready to go back to work after 2 weeks but was actually off for 4 since the doctor wanted to have her eating normally before she went back.

I'm sure that techniques have improved even in the 5 years since her surgery so am sure you'll be fine.

Sorry for all the questions, but I am worried about this stuff! So they had her taking pills after the surgery? Did she have IV pain meds in the hospital? Did they feed her through a tube in the hospital?

Step

Hi Step,

Sorry for all the questions, but I am worried about this stuff! So they had her taking pills after the surgery? Did she have IV pain meds in the hospital? Did they feed her through a tube in the hospital?

Step

not a problem, I know surgery can be worrying. She had her surgery on the Friday morning and was on IV pain meds when she came round. But from the Saturday she was on oral meds only. They didn't feed her through a tube at all. She had ice chips on the Friday and started with soups/broth and jello on the Saturday. We'd stocked up with this kind of food since we knew that would be all she could have initally, but I think it was somewhere between 7 and 10 days that she started on mashed potatoes and soft food like that. As I said previously her disappintment is that she's now taking Prilosec daily, but at least that is controlling the reflux now whereas it wasn't controlled before the surgery. Hopefully the surgery will cure your reflux and you'll be able to get of all meds.

stepthirteen,

Did you take meds for this much? I mean like the PPI's? Did you have the H Pylori test done to see if the bacteria is in your stomach making the reflux worse? Do you have a hiatal hernia, by chance? I know they do that surgery to correct that, as well.

Just curious, as I've had this for several years, flare up worse from time to time. I gave in and saw the Dr., he did the blood test for H Pylori, & I was positive. So I was put on the Prevpak (3 meds, 2 antibiotics & Prilosec) to kill it. I had a reaction to the antibiotics, horrible mouth thrush & had to stop it after 8 days. I could barely eat at all.

Anyway, I was just wondering what other things you have done, before deciding on the surgery.

stepthirteen,

Did you take meds for this much? I mean like the PPI's? Did you have the H Pylori test done to see if the bacteria is in your stomach making the reflux worse? Do you have a hiatal hernia, by chance? I know they do that surgery to correct that, as well.

Just curious, as I've had this for several years, flare up worse from time to time. I gave in and saw the Dr., he did the blood test for H Pylori, & I was positive. So I was put on the Prevpak (3 meds, 2 antibiotics & Prilosec) to kill it. I had a reaction to the antibiotics, horrible mouth thrush & had to stop it after 8 days. I could barely eat at all.

Anyway, I was just wondering what other things you have done, before deciding on the surgery.

Yep I have done all the things you have listed and I have a Hiatal Hernia :lol:. It just does not seem to get better. When I did the PH test the doctor told that it 100% supported the surgery. Less than 2 weeks away for the surgery and I hope it helps!

Step

The last post in this topic was posted 3742 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.