Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Felonies

The last post in this topic was posted 3756 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Question:

ex-sil just had a jury trail found guilty on 3 counts of a controlled substance (felony) sentencing isn't tell October.

she already has on felony on her record for controlled substance was sentenced to 180 days in jail but only had to serve 6 of them.

Could this mean more jail time? Also she is an RN (working at a prison right now) how can she keep her RN license.

My niece who my db has had full time wants to go live with her this school year (niece is 10).

Considering the charge, I'm kind of surprised she didn't lose her license the first time.

Same here.

Although they might offer a rehab program....I know there is one for doctors (but I don't know if it is available after an actual arrest). But I would be willing to after a 2nd event that she could very likely lose her license.

Considering the charge, I'm kind of surprised she didn't lose her license the first time.

That is what I am wondering, unless she lied on the appy or some reason they don't know about her felonies (as in she hasn't had to re-new license yet) or maybe the prison doesn't care.

That is what I am wondering, unless she lied on the appy or some reason they don't know about her felonies (as in she hasn't had to re-new license yet) or maybe the prison doesn't care.

Most states will report a drug felony convection to the state nursing board. They will allow you to work, but you will have to be watch and/or cannot be in control on any type of drugs.

She must have explained her first felony. I find it highly unlikely she could work for a prison and they not do a background check.

okay I guess she wants her dd with her because when she goes to sentencing she will say she can't have jail time because she has to take care of her daughter, mind you she has only had her on holiday's/vacations that last say 5 years.

Wonder if that will fly?

Most states will report a drug felony convection to the state nursing board. They will allow you to work, but you will have to be watch and/or cannot be in control on any type of drugs.

She must have explained her first felony. I find it highly unlikely she could work for a prison and they not do a background check.

She might of explained it.

She was on pain pills due to she has wrecked three cars from falling asleep at the wheel and does have a bad back due to it, plus she is just skin and bones (not saying she is to skinny or anything just when you can see rib bones and cheeks sunken in you know they are not taking care of themselves) she had a boob years ago and my says she gets any skinnier she will be top heavy and fall over.

So she was allowed a certain amount but I believe they found over 400 pills (different pain meds) in her car. She looks like she is on meth and I am sure it is from the pain meds.

Not all convictions are, in fact, convictions. Many jurisdictions do a deferred disposition or diversion program where one goes through the basic processes as would apply to a final conviction, and the supervision may even include jail time. However, a suspended sentence is not always a conviction.

Other elements would include whether a conviction was on appeal. In such an instance, the execution of the sentence is often stayed because you do not have a final conviction...

Question:

ex-sil just had a jury trail found guilty on 3 counts of a controlled substance (felony) sentencing isn't tell October.

she already has on felony on her record for controlled substance was sentenced to 180 days in jail but only had to serve 6 of them.

Could this mean more jail time? Also she is an RN (working at a prison right now) how can she keep her RN license.

My niece who my db has had full time wants to go live with her this school year (niece is 10).

Possession of a controlled substance? Use, Sale?

If she gets to keep her license it is a shame.

People should think of consequences to their actions.

Hopefully when she gets out of prison, she will have to find a new profession. Can't work as an RN without licensure.

okay I guess she wants her dd with her because when she goes to sentencing she will say she can't have jail time because she has to take care of her daughter, mind you she has only had her on holiday's/vacations that last say 5 years.

Wonder if that will fly?

"Your honor I can't"

This is no excuse, and probably does not matter to the judge. Having a child should make you MORE responsible in this regard, not as an excuse to try to get out of jail time.

Plus 3 felonies and a second offense.

UNLESS, she can find a judge that may take the rehab route?

Wonder if that will fly?

"Your honor I can't"

This is no excuse, and probably does not matter to the judge. Having a child should make you MORE responsible in this regard, not as an excuse to try to get out of jail time.

Plus 3 felonies and a second offense.

UNLESS, she can find a judge that may take the rehab route?

she might find a judge allowing that you never know.

It will be a happy day when they find a safe, effective way to control long term pain.

I feel so sorry for people that have to live with constant, chronic pain.

It will be a happy day when they find a safe, effective way to control long term pain.

I live with constant, chronic pain from an injury that cannot be corrected and you know what? I'm not abusing pain meds. I get it, it is an addiction. But we don't live in the dark about the dangers of pain med abuse. Just like folks who get addicted to meth knew the risks when they started, so did people who got addicted to meds. I pity them, but I don't like the excuse. Adults need to take responsibility for their actions.

I live with constant, chronic pain from an injury that cannot be corrected and you know what? I'm not abusing pain meds. I get it, it is an addiction. But we don't live in the dark about the dangers of pain med abuse. Just like folks who get addicted to meth knew the risks when they started, so did people who got addicted to meds. I pity them, but I don't like the excuse. Adults need to take responsibility for their actions.

Yep.

Yep.

I think some folks are wired for that type of addiction, I know I am, but I do abuse them. Like right now my back is KILLING me, and I am trying to make the non addictive stuff work, before I go and take some flexall, or take some vicodom. With any luck I will fall asleep.

I think some folks are wired for that type of addiction,

Absolutely. And folks who aren't wired that way will never understand it.

Shockingly enough, I don't care for this excuse either. I understand addiction. I even understand pain pill addiction. I have a strong family history of it. But because of this history, I chose to make good decisions and not put myself in a position where I might become addicted. Why? Because I know it is a risk. If we take responsibility for our actions, we don't have to blame everyone and everything else.

Shockingly enough, I don't care for this excuse either. I understand addiction. I even understand pain pill addiction. I have a strong family history of it. But because of this history, I chose to make good decisions and not put myself in a position where I might become addicted. Why? Because I know it is a risk. If we take responsibility for our actions, we don't have to blame everyone and everything else.

Apparently you don't understand addiction. It isn't a choice, it's a disease and it's recognized as a disease by the AMA. Just because you have a family history of it doesn't mean it will happen to you. It wouldn't matter what position you put yourself in, if you are predisposed to addictions it will hit in some way or another. Just like smoking, some people can quit with no problem. Others can't. Why do you suppose that is?

Apparently you don't understand addiction. It isn't a choice, it's a disease and it's recognized as a disease by the AMA. Just because you have a family history of it doesn't mean it will happen to you. It wouldn't matter what position you put yourself in, if you are predisposed to addictions it will hit in some way or another. Just like smoking, some people can quit with no problem. Others can't. Why do you suppose that is?

But they choose to smoke that first cigarette, don't they?

I wasn't saying I approve of people abusing pain meds, just that I can understand it. I was just saying that in this day and age, it is sad that we haven't found a way to control chronic pain without the fear of addiction. It would be so nice to have an effective, SAFE way to alleviate suffering...........that is all.

400 different pain pills? How many were legallly prescribed by a physician.

Addiction is irrelevant, she is guilty of the crime and addiction is not a defense.

No empathy here. If she had nodded off at the wheel and killed any of our family members, is it alright due to her addiction?

There should be consequences, being she should be in prison (felony) and lose her license for good.

Edited by hinklesc

Does one cigarette make for an addiction to everyone?

Does one cigarette make for an addiction to everyone?

Not at all. Just like one pain pill does not cause addiction. But you make the decisions that lead to addiction. When a good friend of mine got sent to rehab for meth at 16 she tried to give me some excuse about how it wasn't her fault, she was genetically predisposed. I told her the same thing I say now: she may have been more likely than some to get addicted after one use, but she still chose to use that once. Take responsibility for the actions you make that led to your addiction.

Edited by Labyrinthine

First, I don't know that I buy that it's a genetics thing, but for no real reason. I haven't actually done any research really. But, I have a boatload of alkies and addicts in my family, and yet... I'm not. I could see it happening, so I just watch myself. If I think I've been drinking too often, then... I stop. It's that simple. I do not understand people that say they can't stop. I just don't. It's very, very easy to just NOT pick something up. :rolleyes:

The last post in this topic was posted 3756 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.