Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

hegemony's $100 bill strategy for dealing with subprime merchants

The last post in this topic was posted 3426 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

first test happened yesterday. restaurant had $12 min sign. my bill was $8.96. when I handed my visa the owner said $12 min. I said okay I'll pay with cash...handing him a $100 bill. He said, no credit is okay.

so in this instance cash was more expensive for the merchant than credit.

first test happened yesterday. restaurant had $12 min sign. my bill was $8.96. when I handed my visa the owner said $12 min. I said okay I'll pay with cash...handing him a $100 bill. He said, no credit is okay.

So, now you have $91.04 to use for the next time you go back? Or are you going to go to a bank and deposit it and take out another $100? You might be putting yourself through more hassle than you are putting the merchant through, especially since you will now be doing more of something you find so abhorrent (using cash).

Is this a place you haven't been before? Since you said you never use cash and this place has minimums. Are you frequenting these places now just to make a point?

I guess it is great when someone is able to find a cause one believes in, making the world better for our children and all that. Keep fighting the good fight. LOL

I see where the shop actually took the card this time. You will probably get mixed responses even from the same shop at different times, and they might decide to cash the $100 just to get it over with, not knowing that it is all part of your evil plan and you will be back with a brand new hundred next time. :D

:D

Will be interesting if you see their "minimum" rule change in the coming weeks. The numbers will speak for themselves. Trial and error...it's just business :P

I see where the shop actually took the card this time. You will probably get mixed responses even from the same shop at different times, and they might decide to cash the $100 just to get it over with, not knowing that it is all part of your evil plan and you will be back with a brand new hundred next time. <_<

B)<_<

imagine that.

free market. take my subprime cash or take my card. let the merchant decide.

Edited by hegemony

Is this a place you haven't been before? Since you said you never use cash and this place has minimums. Are you frequenting these places now just to make a point?

I guess it is great when someone is able to find a cause one believes in, making the world better for our children and all that. Keep fighting the good fight. LOL

do you log on to creditboards just to belittle others?

:good:

Will be interesting if you see their "minimum" rule change in the coming weeks. The numbers will speak for themselves. Trial and error...it's just business :D

exactly. the cost of cash is higher than the cost of credit at that price point anyway.

I see where the shop actually took the card this time. You will probably get mixed responses even from the same shop at different times, and they might decide to cash the $100 just to get it over with, not knowing that it is all part of your evil plan and you will be back with a brand new hundred next time. :lol:

:lol::rolleyes:

imagine that.

free market. take my subprime cash or take my card. let the merchant decide.

The free market is deciding not to do business with them if you don't like the terms of payment, it is not going there to push the issue. That is really just rude. If you go there and find that they have a minimum you aren't going to reach and only have a $100, that is one thing, but going out of your way to prove a point is not really the free market. If you know what the terms are and don't like them, politely let them know why you won't be eating there. That would be the free market.

do you log on to creditboards just to belittle others?

Sorry, I was trying to make my point in a funny way, I realize you don't appreciate it and I won't do it any more. I have always tried to be respectful and focus on the issues at hand. You have to admit what you are doing is kind of funny.

going out of my would be having to carry more than one bill with me. why should I have to worry about carrying $10 and $20 bills just to put up with a merchant's anti-consumer policies?

going out of my would be having to carry more than one bill with me. why should I have to worry about carrying $10 and $20 bills just to put up with a merchant's anti-consumer policies?

It is not anti-consumer to have payment policies which take into account the costs involved, saying so is an exaggeration at best. I could make a stronger case that your policies are anti-merchant. You should have to worry about carrying $10's and $20's if you want to do business with places that have these policies, and if you don't want to worry about it then you shouldn't expect to be able to do business with them. Free market.

going out of my would be having to carry more than one bill with me

This statement is disingenuous, you stated you were going to make a point of bringing a $100 into a place with minimums and force the merchant to make a choice. You picked a restaurant, so the sale was already made. Picking a store where you buy a product, such as a coffee would be better, because the product would not have already been consumed, the merchant would have had three choices. I asked, but you did not answer the reason for the selection of this establishment. Based on your policies you wouldn't have gone in the restaurant to start with. If not for this "experiment", how would you have paid, or would you have gone in at all?

:)

Just so you get my tone, I am not trying to belittle you personally. I am interested in this topic only because I read the subject here and I find the issue an interesting topic of debate. I am sorry that we cannot discuss it with some humor, because really it isn't going to affect me any more or less than you. I use cards, including rewards, I don't carry much cash, so I appreciate the ability to use credit cards most everywhere. I have been inconvenienced at times by minimums and have even decided to not buy from one place because I disagreed with the implementation. I just don't think my desire should be imposed on a merchant, and I really do not want to force a merchant to take a loss on me because of some rule the banks have imposed. I don't want to be enforcing bank rules, especially when they themselves are anti-consumer and anti-merchant. They however are pro-bank, and I am not going to support a pro-bank policy, in the long run it is more expensive for everyone, including consumers.

Will be interesting if you see their "minimum" rule change in the coming weeks.

Or the sudden appearance of a sign that says "no bills larger than $50 or you pay by washing dishes". <_<

<_<

seriously. you must not have anything meaningful to contribute. you are only here to stir up something. please take your bait elsewhere.

Edited by hegemony

frank, driving to the atm to get small bills would be a pain for me. sorry but clearly we have different preference orderings when it comes to defining what is convenient.

oh, the product was not consumed before I paid. it was take-away and I did not know there was a min for cards when I ordered. the sign is by the register not by the part of the counter where you order.

restaurant had $12 min sign.

Isn't the limit $10 under the revised policy? Did you report them for being $2 over the limit?

I totally understand why some restaurants won't take credit cards, because they have to pay the fee. That's their choice. I choose not to go to places that won't take CC's. Only one time I got mad about it, because the restaurant did not have a sign and didn't tell me until I handed the card to them. I didn't have enough cash, so I had to leave my daughter alone at the restaurant while I walked 2 blocks to a cash machine. I was really ticked off. Not long after that, the place was closed. I guess he should have taken CC's.

<_<

seriously. you must not have anything meaningful to contribute. you are only here to stir up something. please take your bait elsewhere.

This whole thread (and most of your others) is nothing but "bait"......

<_<

if you are so easily offended you should consider putting me on ignore and report my offensive posts to the moderators. posting snide emoticons and other remarks is not constructive.

restaurant had $12 min sign.

Isn't the limit $10 under the revised policy? Did you report them for being $2 over the limit?

I guess I could, but the owner did not enforce the min.

I totally understand why some restaurants won't take credit cards, because they have to pay the fee. That's their choice. I choose not to go to places that won't take CC's. Only one time I got mad about it, because the restaurant did not have a sign and didn't tell me until I handed the card to them. I didn't have enough cash, so I had to leave my daughter alone at the restaurant while I walked 2 blocks to a cash machine. I was really ticked off. Not long after that, the place was closed. I guess he should have taken CC's.

In the end it comes down to the customers' choice. Will their customer base (and new ones) be willing to go long with their policies. I suspect this policy will be far more accepted in areas with less competition of said business and product. They will enact the policy, but some may retract it over time because of lost business. But, others may do fine with their customers.

:rolleyes:

I think heges experiment is no different than some businesses enacting a policy of minimums. The biz is experimenting with their current and new customers. Will the customer accept it or not?

Hege wanted to see how the biz would handle cashing large bills. Will they accept credit under these circumstances?

It's about biz with each party :D

Just so you get my tone, I am not trying to belittle you personally. I am interested in this topic only because I read the subject here and I find the issue an interesting topic of debate. I am sorry that we cannot discuss it with some humor, because really it isn't going to affect me any more or less than you. I use cards, including rewards, I don't carry much cash, so I appreciate the ability to use credit cards most everywhere. I have been inconvenienced at times by minimums and have even decided to not buy from one place because I disagreed with the implementation. I just don't think my desire should be imposed on a merchant, and I really do not want to force a merchant to take a loss on me because of some rule the banks have imposed. I don't want to be enforcing bank rules, especially when they themselves are anti-consumer and anti-merchant. They however are pro-bank, and I am not going to support a pro-bank policy, in the long run it is more expensive for everyone, including consumers.

hey man I understand how "tone" and sarcasm are often difficult to communicate in the two-dimensions of a web site. :rolleyes:

I am not taking up some quixotic endeavor that you seem to think I am. I just am curious how retailers will respond. most places I frequent either don't have min or I always spend a lot more than any min. so I doubt I will get a lot of data points.

:D

if you are so easily offended you should consider putting me on ignore and report my offensive posts to the moderators. posting snide emoticons and other remarks is not constructive.

+1 Jet. If you don't agree with Hege or his "vision quest", you can put him on ignore or just not read his threads.

Seriously this is ridiculous.

What were to happen if say.... they are displaying the credit card logos on the window.

You dine and they bring check. You give them the card ignoring the minimum. When they tell you that there is a minimum, then tell them that is the only way you can pay since you have no cash. Will they call the police? Make you wash dishes? I'll test it that way next time.

This is the cost of doing business (make it up other ways, perhaps raising menu prices).

You had better be a VERY GOOD or EXCLUSIVE restaurant to take cash only. People don't want to hit the ATM to go out to eat and won't even know how much to take out.

Restaurants (decent ones) and hotels mostly have credit card transactions.

When I managed a hotel, cash paying customers were probably about 1 in 10-15.

Sign in to follow this  

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Lindiet
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines