Sign in to follow this  
Corinthos

Gamestop. Not only asking for ID but for me to remove it from my wallet

I filled out the form on mastercards website all ready. I went in to purchase a gift card for a friend's birthday since it was what he asked for. Checking out they ask to see my ID which I was in a rush show i put it down on the table then was asked to remove it from the wallet plastic. I declined. Got into an argument and was told it was store policy. I guess a manager or perhaps another coworker over heard and said to go ahead and do it. Then he moves it closer and starts typing in the info into his computer which I snatched it back and informed him to cancel the transaction. Just really peeved right now. Also contacting Gamestop's corporate when I get the info and seeing if they can tell me why I had to jump through hoops just make a purchase with my credit card.

Well I had a lady named Sandra from gamestop call me back today. She said it is not policy to ask for an ID unless trading a game depending on state laws or to check for an age on a mature rated game. She said she would look into the matter is sending me a $50 dollar gift card "for bringing it to their attention" I also have a direct number to her and she said if it happens again to call and speak with her/leave a voice mail.

I all ready gave my friend 50 in cash so I am going to use the gift card myself going to pay whatever is over the card with my Mastercard and see if they do it again. I am going in during the day on a weekday and if they ask me for an ID again I'm calling her while I'm at the register. I hope the same cocky guy is working.

She was nice she even asked when my friends birthday was so she could see if she could get the card to me faster depending on shipping method.

Well I had a lady named Sandra from gamestop call me back today. She said it is not policy to ask for an ID unless trading a game depending on state laws or to check for an age on a mature rated game. She said she would look into the matter is sending me a $50 dollar gift card "for bringing it to their attention" I also have a direct number to her and she said if it happens again to call and speak with her/leave a voice mail.

I all ready gave my friend 50 in cash so I am going to use the gift card myself going to pay whatever is over the card with my Mastercard and see if they do it again. I am going in during the day on a weekday and if they ask me for an ID again I'm calling her while I'm at the register. I hope the same cocky guy is working.

She was nice she even asked when my friends birthday was so she could see if she could get the card to me faster depending on shipping method.

Wow. It pays to report violations.

It is great to hear some business care about their reputations. congrats!

I've been offered $50 gift cards by quite a few merchants for informing them of stores that are doing this. I have yet to take any of them up on the offer. I suggest they put that money toward retraining their employees so it doesn't happen again. It hasn't, at any of the places that made the offer.

So I went back and a different person was working the counter. My purchase was for 54 so I was putting a little over 4 on my CC and the guy asked for ID again. I said no and he just paused for a few seconds and went ok and rang it through.

So they seem to still be asking but maybe something was said to them recently about what to do if customer declines.

It doesn't sound to me like they did anything. The employee probably just figured $4 wasn't enough to worry about. I'd contact the corporate office again and tell them the store is still asking for ID. The back of your card is signed I presume?

Yes. He didn't even ask to see my card today since I swiped it myself. I called and left a voicemail for her about it.

It doesn't sound to me like they did anything. The employee probably just figured $4 wasn't enough to worry about. I'd contact the corporate office again and tell them the store is still asking for ID. The back of your card is signed I presume?

Perhaps $400 in purchases would require an ID check?

So you're still patronizing this place in an attempt to find out if they are compliant when you could be patronizing merchants that have been doing it right all along?

So you're still patronizing this place in an attempt to find out if they are compliant when you could be patronizing merchants that have been doing it right all along?

He was patronizing the place to use his gift card.

I caught that, but I somehow misread a post as his plan to return and try yet again. Forgive me, I'm tired :huh:.

Why would they check ID for using a gift card?

Lolipop: In the US they cannot require ID with a signed card regardless of amount. They can ask but they can't refuse to complete the same if the customer does not show it to them. They can make a Code 10 Call. They are not allowed to routinely ask every customer using a credit card for ID, either. They are also discouraged from asking.

But as a clerk, knowing these rules, what purchase is more likely to be fraud? $50 or $400? How many $50 purchases do they have in a day is likely a lot more than how many $400 purchases they have in a day. When should the clerk really pay closer than usual (since the transaction amount is much higher than usual) attention to the customer, the card, and the signatures? The $400 purchase.

Lolipop: In the US they cannot require ID with a signed card regardless of amount. They can ask but they can't refuse to complete the same if the customer does not show it to them. They can make a Code 10 Call. They are not allowed to routinely ask every customer using a credit card for ID, either. They are also discouraged from asking.

But as a clerk, knowing these rules, what purchase is more likely to be fraud? $50 or $400? How many $50 purchases do they have in a day is likely a lot more than how many $400 purchases they have in a day. When should the clerk really pay closer than usual (since the transaction amount is much higher than usual) attention to the customer, the card, and the signatures? The $400 purchase.

I know.

I am not a credit card thief therefore I do not show my ID.

Ha Ha. Exactly what a thief would say :lol:

Ha Ha. Exactly what a thief would say :lol:

if a merchant is accusing me of stealing something he or she better call a LEO because I will not show ID unless I am purchasing a product that requires ID; e.g. scotch.

Ha Ha. Exactly what a thief would say <_<

if a merchant is accusing me of stealing something he or she better call a LEO because I will not show ID unless I am purchasing a product that requires ID; e.g. scotch.

Checking is NOT accusing, you are using hyperbole again. I don't care so much about this issue either way. IF the banks accept the risk, and they think it is the best policy, than OK by me. I just won't get upset if the merchants wants to check. I personalty would rather they check ID's, because I have had my card stolen and used a few times. I would rather the thieves had a harder time of it. Most of the fraud I would bet is not someone that sophisticated. In my case they were just opportunistic.

More than anything, I find it funny on how a few people can get so upset over such a small matter, life must be great. Historically there were real reasons to get upset.

As for the scotch, I guess you don't mind them accusing you of being underage???? :lol:

IF there is reasonable doubt that the card is stolen the merchant is to make a "Code 10 call". Going DIRECTLY from the policy. They should also keep the card, because IIRC reward money is available. Merchant policy is in the car in a binder, car is not with me so I cannot reference it to be positive.

Checking is NOT accusing, you are using hyperbole again. I don't care so much about this issue either way. IF the banks accept the risk, and they think it is the best policy, than OK by me. I just won't get upset if the merchants wants to check. I personalty would rather they check ID's, because I have had my card stolen and used a few times. I would rather the thieves had a harder time of it. Most of the fraud I would bet is not someone that sophisticated. In my case they were just opportunistic.

More than anything, I find it funny on how a few people can get so upset over such a small matter, life must be great. Historically there were real reasons to get upset.

As for the scotch, I guess you don't mind them accusing you of being underage???? :lol:

I am not upset and it is not a small matter, especially if the merchant only selectively asks for ID from some users of credit and debit.

and if a merchant really was worried about protecting itself it would check and track ID for chase purchases. subprime cash can be counterfeited.

Sign in to follow this  

About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines