Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Should I cancel FP?

The last post in this topic was posted 3822 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

After deciding to rebuild my credit, I signed up for a FP card 6 months ago. I have perfect history on it and since added a BB RZMC (100 CL,) secured USAA (1000 CL,) and a secured Cap1 (500.) I plan on adding some more money to the Cap1 once I get back from vacation at the end of July. The USAA and BB cards have been report for 2 or 3 months, would it be a good idea to cancel my FP card? I imagine my AAOA would drip slightly but I'm really sick of paying the 15 bucks or so a month. My average age is 5 years across the board. I'd rather put that money towards B*.

Edited by ilvwhtgrls

Ya, I'm thinking the same thing. I understand that I'll probably have to pay an AF once a year with most companies but I'm sick and tired of seeing something posted to my account every month, that is just complete horseshit.

I would definitely cancel FP. The card will remain on your report for 10 years after closed, so it will still have a positive influence on your AAOA.

And I highly discourage putting your money towards unreliable B*; just be wise with your applications. If you want to invest your money towards improving your credit, there are much more prudent options:

Adding funds to secured cards

Certified mail for baddies

Credit monitoring to watch for improvement

OR as George would say, enjoy a steak dinner, might not help the credit, but it feels good in the belly. ;)

Thanks for the great advice. Ahhh, for the first time ever, I think I might listen to George and go get a nice Argentinian steak with the GF this weekend!

I called to cancel the card and was sent to retentions. I voiced my opinions on the AF and other insane fees while the CSR listened. After giving me her pitch, she offered to give me a 30 dollar credit. Lol, I have a 12 dollar balance on the card from CCT and once it hits, I'll call back and cancel!

I'm not sure where you're headed with that comment?

He's using his typical fashion to add chaos by acting like others are ignorant. You'll get used to it, I have a word doc with all George's cut and paste statements if you'd like to just read it you can save the time trying to decipher his posts.

Lol, I've been reading CB for a few years now so I'm accustomed to his random thoughts. I can not see how his statement(s) add anything to the discussion at hand. IRL, some people enjoy hearing the sound of their own voice, maybe George enjoys reading his own text?

I called to cancel the card and was sent to retentions. I voiced my opinions on the AF and other insane fees while the CSR listened. After giving me her pitch, she offered to give me a 30 dollar credit. Lol, I have a 12 dollar balance on the card from CCT and once it hits, I'll call back and cancel!

Hah, that's what FP did to me when I called in to cancel both of my cards. I was at a $0 balance, so I gladly accepted the credit, treated myself to a nice dinner, and called in again to actually close the account. Made back some of those $7 a month fees. :(

Hah, that's what FP did to me when I called in to cancel both of my cards. I was at a $0 balance, so I gladly accepted the credit, treated myself to a nice dinner, and called in again to actually close the account. Made back some of those $7 a month fees. :rofl:

:rofl:

Hah, that's what FP did to me when I called in to cancel both of my cards. I was at a $0 balance, so I gladly accepted the credit, treated myself to a nice dinner, and called in again to actually close the account. Made back some of those $7 a month fees. :wacko:

Brilliant!

And for the record, I have never seen ONE POST extolling the virtues of holding a FP card. Not one. Ever.

Lol, I've been reading CB for a few years now so I'm accustomed to his random thoughts. I can not see how his statement(s) add anything to the discussion at hand. IRL, some people enjoy hearing the sound of their own voice, maybe George enjoys reading his own text?

GEORGE makes posts using common-sense viewpoints on the topic at hand, as well as his own perfectly valid opinions. Is there something wrong with that?

Hah, that's what FP did to me when I called in to cancel both of my cards. I was at a $0 balance, so I gladly accepted the credit, treated myself to a nice dinner, and called in again to actually close the account. Made back some of those $7 a month fees. :blush:

Brilliant!

And for the record, I have never seen ONE POST extolling the virtues of holding a FP card. Not one. Ever.

My FP card gave a 5% payment credit for every payment I made over the 18 mos it was open. It was effectively a 5% cash back card with a $7 monthly fee. Compared to some cards it wasn't half bad.

Hows that? lol

GEORGE makes posts using common-sense viewpoints on the topic at hand, as well as his own perfectly valid opinions. Is there something wrong with that?

Yeah... That's what he's doing all right.

My FP card gave a 5% payment credit for every payment I made over the 18 mos it was open. It was effectively a 5% cash back card with a $7 monthly fee. Compared to some cards it wasn't half bad.

Hows that? lol

So we have one. If you charged enough to offset that $7 per month, then you are indeed one person who has something good so say about FP. It also means George was right. :mellow:

Hows that? lol

So we have one. If you charged enough to offset that $7 per month, then you are indeed one person who has something good so say about FP. It also means George was right. :P

Yeah, but he was being sarcastic.

I made about $30 a month on them, but a friend who does finance made a joke about the card when looking at my reports one day so I closed it. I don't have any other cards that are 5% but I'm still happier without that one open.

The last post in this topic was posted 3822 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.