Sign in to follow this  
GamingG

GEMB is Officially Insane

WHAT DID I DO WRONG???

If you did the same thing wrong that you did with AMEX, you failed to utilize the credit line. They decided since you don't use it, you don't need it... they simply decided not to waste the CL--which I believe has to be carried as a contingent liability on their balance sheet--on your (low-profit) account.

RCJ

-Horrible customer service...

I don't know, they seem very friendly and helpful to me.

-Terrible underwriting... Talking to their credit underwriting department is probably the same experience as trying to reason with a warden in a prison where you are an inmate...

That much is probably very true.

-Lousy limits relative to other financial services companies...

I guess... get a real credit card, then, if you don't like GEMB's PLLCs (private label - and blame the stores for that - maybe Wal Mart doesn't want to lend a lot to their average customer, and that's probably for good reason)

They will close your accounts, they will decrease your limits and they will black list you...

I haven't seen that happen. I wonder if some people live in states with greater mortgage defaults or other regional financial difficulties, and that may be behind the variance we see here between the CLD/account closure people and those who've hardly seen any of that.

I talked to GEMB today about my Old Navy store card and my Old Navy VISA. I was perplexed that the store card gave me the typical increase (from the original $400 to $700) when I hit the "luv button" but the VISA would not. They explained that the VISA uses my credit report data to make a decision on that. (It's probably not a hard pull, though - I bet they use an old copy.) Anyway, she told me to give it a few more months before trying again. The store card, however, is obviously on the CLI-bot system.

And they would not combine the cards. Apparently they're two different types of animals that can't cross-breed. Had I asked to combine two VISAs or two Old Navy cards (why would they give one individual two of each?), then they'd be able to do it, they said.

-Horrible customer service...

I don't know, they seem very friendly and helpful to me.

-Terrible underwriting... Talking to their credit underwriting department is probably the same experience as trying to reason with a warden in a prison where you are an inmate...

That much is probably very true.

-Lousy limits relative to other financial services companies...

I guess... get a real credit card, then, if you don't like GEMB's PLLCs (private label - and blame the stores for that -

maybe Wal Mart doesn't want to lend a lot to their average customer, and that's probably for good reason)

They will close your accounts, they will decrease your limits and they will black list you...

I haven't seen that happen. I wonder if some people live in states with greater mortgage defaults or other regional financial difficulties, and that may be behind the variance we see here between the CLD/account closure people and those who've hardly seen any of that.

I talked to GEMB today about my Old Navy store card and my Old Navy VISA. I was perplexed that the store card gave me the typical increase (from the original $400 to $700) when I hit the "luv button" but the VISA would not. They explained that the VISA uses my credit report data to make a decision on that. (It's probably not a hard pull, though - I bet they use an old copy.) Anyway, she told me to give it a few more months before trying again. The store card, however, is obviously on the CLI-bot system.

And they would not combine the cards. Apparently they're two different types of animals that can't cross-breed. Had I asked to combine two VISAs or two Old Navy cards (why would they give one individual two of each?), then they'd be able to do it, they said.

WALMART DOESN'T LEND ANY MONEY TO ANY CUSTOMER

GEMB is crazy

DH just got a CLI on his lowes and HHgreeg card. a few days after being turned down for an increase at walmart.

I have a Sam's card that I have had since 1996 with a toy $500 limit. I tried for an increase, denied. I have not once gotten an increase from them. Oh well, I just added about $5K in new trade lines so back in the drawer they go.

I have a Sam's card that I have had since 1996 with a toy $500 limit. I tried for an increase, denied. I have not once gotten an increase from them. Oh well, I just added about $5K in new trade lines so back in the drawer they go.

GET A SAMS DISCOVER AND SEE WHAT YOU GET

It will probably be $1,000 or $2,000 minimum

Wal Mart may not lend to any consumer, but don't they have something to do with the deal? I know that stores agree on terms when they set up a private label credit card through a bank. I'm guessing that they take on some level of risk as well as standing to benefit from the arrangement.

I just asked for a CLI on the Walmart card last night. Denied <_< .

PHONE???

or

ON-LINE???

Speaking of GEMB, I applied for a store card at a local outdoors store underwritten by GEMB for a 12 months same as cash deal and I was declined with a 685 FICO scored and one collection that will fall off in June. The next day I noticed the amazon store card was GEMB as well so I tried my luck with that and was instantly approved. Do different stores have different criteria or is it all solely up to GEMB? I would have much rather had the card from the outdoor store instead of Amazon.

Speaking of GEMB, I applied for a store card at a local outdoors store underwritten by GEMB for a 12 months same as cash deal and I was declined with a 685 FICO scored and one collection that will fall off in June. The next day I noticed the amazon store card was GEMB as well so I tried my luck with that and was instantly approved. Do different stores have different criteria or is it all solely up to GEMB? I would have much rather had the card from the outdoor store instead of Amazon.

GE MONEY BANK MAKE UP THE RULES

THE "STORE" CAN TAKE IT or LEAVE IT

I just asked for a CLI on the Walmart card last night. Denied :D .

PHONE???

or

ON-LINE???

Online.

GE MONEY BANK MAKE UP THE RULES

THE "STORE" CAN TAKE IT or LEAVE IT

So if GE Money Bank makes up the rules why would they decline me at one store and not the other even though both cards would have had about the same credit limits. I wonder if they would switch my Amazon card to the other stores card if I asked. I still haven't got the letter from GE about why I was declined, I thought maybe the girl at the store typed my info in wrong but she wasn't very friendly and wouldn't let me see the little receipt that printed out and was stapled to my application.