Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Has Anyone Ever Used Travelex Currency Exchange Services?

I'm trying to avoid a trip to the airport to exchange U.S. dollars for Euros. AAA offers a service in association with Travelex to purchase foreign currency online, using your credit or debit card.

I've researched the company and they seem legit and again are recommended by AAA, but I'm not sure if it is treated as a cash advance on a card. If so, I'd be getting hit for the exchange fee and a cash advance fee. If that's the case, I'll drive to the airport.

We are heading on a cruise and I want to have some Euros on me before we go, for cabs and such where I can't use a credit card. I'm sure I could exchange on the ship, but I know it will be 10 times as expensive as it would if I do it from here.

It just makes me a little nervous getting money shipped to me, even with AAA's endorsement.

NONONO.

Use an ATM when you get there, just bring two debit cards with the VISA or MC logo and you will be all set. If you want 20 EUR to start, buy it on eBay. 1USD currently = 0.75 EUR.

Edited by improper_validation

Thanks. I wasn't feeling good about it anyway. I can also go into the AAA branch and buy a tip pack which has enough money for a cab or incidentals. This is our first trip to Europe, so we are newbies to all this stuff.

You probably also have an AMEX travel services location nearby...that is where I have done most of my exchanges in the past. Never tried to do an exchange via credit card though...usually just changed a few hundred bucks at a time.

I would much rather do an exchange in cash, unfortunately, my nearest AMEX office is two hours away and they don't do exchanges in that location.

I'm going to try BOA today. I just want to have enough to be comfortable paying for incidentals when we get off the ship at the ports. All the ports are big cities that do have AMEX offices, so if I got stuck, I'm sure I could get money there. Most of the travel sites also recommends the ATMs when you get there as the cheapest way to go.

I thought about taking travelers checks, but they don't seem to be readily accepted everywhere. I'm probably over-thinking the whole thing.... :blink:

I would much rather do an exchange in cash, unfortunately, my nearest AMEX office is two hours away and they don't do exchanges in that location.

I'm going to try BOA today. I just want to have enough to be comfortable paying for incidentals when we get off the ship at the ports. All the ports are big cities that do have AMEX offices, so if I got stuck, I'm sure I could get money there. Most of the travel sites also recommends the ATMs when you get there as the cheapest way to go.

I thought about taking travelers checks, but they don't seem to be readily accepted everywhere. I'm probably over-thinking the whole thing.... :rofl:

Aren't widely accepted IME.

You really don't need cash, when you get off the ship, there will be ATMs. ATM's in Europe don't charge fees either.

I thought about taking travelers checks, but they don't seem to be readily accepted everywhere. I'm probably over-thinking the whole thing.... :P

You really don't need cash, when you get off the ship, there will be ATMs. ATM's in Europe don't charge fees either.

But not all ATM cards from a US bank are going to work outside of the US...not all ATM cards are created equal. And, even if the machine does not charge a fee, there is no guarantee that the home bank will not tack on a fee.

Bank of America, or really any other large bank, should be able to do this without problem. You can look up online whether your local branch maintains stock of a particular currency. Many branches have Euros.

If they don't, it takes 24-48 hours for them to order it for pickup at the branch.

Or you can just get it online: https://www5.bankofamerica.com/foreigncurrency/index.action

Guest rumaki

FYI: in most European countries you can use credit products in cabs and whatnot

I thought about taking travelers checks, but they don't seem to be readily accepted everywhere. I'm probably over-thinking the whole thing.... :lol:

But not all ATM cards from a US bank are going to work outside of the US...not all ATM cards are created equal. And, even if the machine does not charge a fee, there is no guarantee that the home bank will not tack on a fee.

ATM cards are pretty much useless. DEBIT cards with a V/MC logo will be fine.

If the home bank is charging a fee, it's time for a new bank. My local bank and CU don't charge any extra ATM fee.

I was recently charged a $1.00 + 1% International Transaction fee by my CU for an ATM transaction. You get a better exchange rate using foreign ATM machine than buying EUROs in the States. Don't waste time on buying AE Travelers Cheques.

Which countries are you visiting?

Edited by Doodah

NONONO.

Use an ATM when you get there, just bring two debit cards with the VISA or MC logo and you will be all set. If you want 20 EUR to start, buy it on eBay. 1USD currently = 0.75 EUR.

exactly. I've been to "a few" countries and always use the ATM on arrival. much better than using currency exchange services.