Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

What amount does your Gas station preapprove

The last post in this topic was posted 4013 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I have had trouble with some gas stations not approving at pump for debit or credit and I had to go inside and tell them how much I needed ($40) and they ran the card again.

Now that I can see preapproval pending amounts online. I realize that some stations do $1 and I have no problems. Others are doing $100 and often declined, especially debit cards. And it ties up the credit for several days.

I have had trouble with some gas stations not approving at pump for debit or credit and I had to go inside and tell them how much I needed ($40) and they ran the card again.

Now that I can see preapproval pending amounts online. I realize that some stations do $1 and I have no problems. Others are doing $100 and often declined, especially debit cards. And it ties up the credit for several days.

I only use PAY-AT-THE-PUMP

HOLDS of $1--->$100 are not any concern when you use a credit card that has "5" figures available

:):blink:

FYI~THE HOLD IS NOT THE SPECIFIC CARD...IT IS THE STATION

That makes sense; it's probably what ever the station's policy is. I have never had a hold of anything but $1, though.

That makes sense; it's probably what ever the station's policy is. I have never had a hold of anything but $1, though.

That's been my experience as well.

That's been my experience as well.

Me too.

OP, you might find this thread interesting. http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?s...p;#entry3606918

Edited by butterflywings

Yes they hold a certain amount on your card, if you are using pay at the pump, since there is no way for them to know if you have the funds or not, unless they do a pre authorization amount, most stations do only ONE DOLLAR, but there are a lot of them that do fifty to a hundred dollars, that is one thing about the sunoco gas card, they said they do not have over limits because of the this... I've had a few problems like this, if you don't have a large card amount I'd suggest paying in side from now on...

People say it's the station not the card, but I have my doubts. DH and I travel across the US often, we use various credit and debit cards and have never had more than a $1 hold. We use all different brand of stations also.

This includes NJ, NY, CA, and FL where most people are complaining about the $100 holds.

I use various gas stations around town and, in my experience using various credit cards, only my Discover card has ever had a hold placed on it.

The lowest hold on my Discover card was $80 at a Mobil station. The highest hold was for $100 when I recently went to a RaceTrac station.

Now see what I mean, we just used a Racetrac and a subprime card last month, $1 hold as usual.

I agree with you. RaceTrac has never held more than $1 on my other CCs.

It's not which card you use, it's how the processing was set up with the merchant. Yes it may have different holds set between Discover/Visa/MC/and Amex.

THe reason for the $1 is primarily to check the status of the account (open or closed), secondarily most issuers will allow a higher transaction to clear even if it puts the card over limit as long as the transaction had a good auth # for any amount. Not sure how the CARD act will affect this.

People say it's the station not the card, but I have my doubts. DH and I travel across the US often, we use various credit and debit cards and have never had more than a $1 hold. We use all different brand of stations also.

This includes NJ, NY, CA, and FL where most people are complaining about the $100 holds.

DO A $500 HOLD FOR ALL I CARE

(as long as it is gone in 5 days or less)

DO A $500 HOLD FOR ALL I CARE[/b]

(as long as it is gone in 5 days or less)

A lot of people would care about a $500 hold if they live paycheck to paycheck and have Bank of America for their bank who will charge overdraft/ over the limit fees based on holds.

"IF" you don't have a CREDIT CARD with "5" figures and have to use a DEBIT CARD...go inside and pre-pay

$10 or $20 and the pump will STOP at $10 or $20

(assuming their computer controlling the pumps was installed this century)

Edited by GEORGE

"IF" you don't have a CREDIT CARD with "5" figures and have to use a DEBIT CARD...go inside and pre-pay

We're not allowed to pump our own gas here, so it's always pay at the pump :beee: But even if you tell them $10 or $20 (rather than fill it) it's still a $1 auth. That's what I've noticed in OR anyway.

We're not allowed to pump our own gas here, so it's always pay at the pump :beee: But even if you tell them $10 or $20 (rather than fill it) it's still a $1 auth. That's what I've noticed in OR anyway.

...and I still don't get the LOGIC of refusing permission to pump your own gas "IF" you want

I learned how before I could drive a car

I even managed a gas station in SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA for 10 years

I think I should be able to pump gas in OR same as CA

You wouldn't get charged a overdraft fee for the authorization even if you do once it comes off your fees should be removed by themselfs or call, they cannot do that to you. chase would charge a fee than once the auth comes off the computer would automatically remove it.

The last post in this topic was posted 4013 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.