Sign in to follow this  
GonnaGetEm

"Things do NOT fall off your credit report in seven years!"

:D

Okay, I went to the bank today where I used to have an account because I wanted a copy of an old statement to help with a collection-related issue.

Since it was taking the (very nice and helpful) teller awhile to get the right statement on the computer, I was chatting with her a bit. I mentioned (my mistake I guess!) that I was grateful to her for her help, and said something along the lines of "I'm sure it's actually been more than seven years since the date I made that last payment." [she was finding the date of it on the computer for me] "It should have been off my credit report right now but I think they re-aged the debt."

Her supervisor was standing nearby with her back to us, talking to another teller, but just then she stopped and turned to me with this dirty, sarcastic, smartypants look on her face and said "things do NOT fall off your credit report in seven years!"

Okay, CB'ers, have I misunderstood all along? Or was the bank supervisor lady being unnecessarily nosy and snotty? (or both? :P )

Edited by GonnaGetEm

the bank lady is a moron. they do fall even sooner than 7 years but the max normally is 7 years 6 months.

The 7 year rule is still in affect. I just checked. In some cases you may have to request it, but for the most part......they do drop off.

the bank lady is a moron. they do fall even sooner than 7 years but the max normally is 7 years 6 months.

That's what *I* thought! Thanks!

The 7 year rule is still in effect. I just checked. In some cases you may have to request it, but for the most part......they do drop off.

That's exactly what I wanted to tell her!

lemme guess... BofA? :D

:P nope, local credit union. :)

Good things don't (have to) fall off in 7 years, but bad ones, yup. (or 7.5 - whatever.)

...but given your impression of her snottiness, she probably wasn't trying to be helpful or thinking of the positive. :D

Sounds like one doesn't have to have any real knowledge of banking/credit practices to get a supervisory job at her bank!

heh. that's my style as well, inside. But my mother in law always says "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" so I just went ahead and kept smiling... at the teller.

To the supervisor I said "well, regardless..." and finished my sentence. Witch.

If it were me, I would have continued the conversation and asked when she thought they had fallen off.

then maybe directed her to read up on FCRA.

I would have said:

"I'm sorry ma'am, I didn't realize I was speaking to you. If I gave you that impression, I apologize"

I have had the pleasure to do this on several occasions, and love the look on the other person's face. Telling someone to 'F off' without using the words!

I think there's something like a full factual record that might have everything on it, but I don't know who is actually entitled to see that.

I would have said:

"I'm sorry ma'am, I didn't realize I was speaking to you. If I gave you that impression, I apologize"

Would seem hardly appropriate when at a company doing business with that company and the person replying is the supervisor of the agent with whom the conversation is taking place

Dave

I would have said:

Would seem hardly appropriate when at a company doing business with that company and the person replying is the supervisor of the agent with whom the conversation is taking place

Dave

They are still the customer and that supervisor shouldnt have run her mouth when she wasnt even being spoken to. No one made her God especially when she isnt even being factual. I would have called her out for being a dipstick and not knowing her laws.

I would have said:

Dave

100% appropriate. Customer saying it, not the agent. Customer is always right, and I wouldn't even bank at a place with a manager like that. Not necessarily from being the "dipstick", but cannot deal with arrogance from those from which it should not come.

Edited by hinklesc

I would have said:

Dave

100% appropriate. Customer saying it, not the agent. Customer is always right, and I wouldn't even bank at a place with a manager like that. Not necessarily from being the "dipstick", but cannot deal with arrogance from those from which it should not come.

+1

Wow, so many replies! Thanks for the support, I should've said "really? You should go inform the people at creditboards.com of that fact. They'll surely thank you!"

hehhehheh

I would have said:

Dave

+1

It seems that "The customer is always right" doesn't apply to bankers. More like the "Customer is always wrong" until proven otherwise. One gets the feeling they are less than warm these days unless you have banked there forever. Maybe its the times.

While I don't expect clerical and low level managers, unless they are underwriters, in banks to know the ins and outs of credit reporting, there is no reason to spout off about an area of expertise one doesn't actually have.

I would have said:

Dave

+1

It seems that "The customer is always right" doesn't apply to bankers. More like the "Customer is always wrong" until proven otherwise. One gets the feeling they are less than warm these days unless you have banked there forever. Maybe its the times.

While I don't expect clerical and low level managers, unless they are underwriters, in banks to know the ins and outs of credit reporting, there is no reason to spout off about an area of expertise one doesn't actually have.

Funny thing is, I mentioned to one woman that my father-in law was a retired member of the board. She was extremely nice.

SHE was extremely nice.

Shouldn't have to name-drop to get a smile an a "thank you"!

Not sure about you all, but I HAD BETTER always be treated very nice at any place I bank; without any arrogance or condescending behavior at all. It is very simple to make a withdrawal and walk across the street.

A bank not much different than a fast food restaurant.

They ALL do the same thing.

heh. that's my style as well, inside. But my mother in law always says "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" so I just went ahead and kept smiling... at the teller.

To the supervisor I said "well, regardless..." and finished my sentence. Witch.

Flies are pesky, bite, buzz arround, and interupt nap time - I don wanna catch em - rather kill em :lol:

Hm I bet their website has contact information for submitting comments.

Noooo, that's just my lack of coffee talking. Shame on me!

I find myself wondering if she's responsible for submitting things to CRAs for the bank, seeing as how it IS a credit union and they DO do all kinds of loans, lines of credit, and so on.

Frightening!

not sure the last time she pulled a credit report.. but you can see the estimated date to be removed right there.. she just has to count the years and months.