Sign in to follow this  
justcheckingitout

Tax help

My husband is a teacher and I have started a small business this year. I have not made very much money at all and when I fill out the business expenses portion of our tax form, it makes us have a huge refund. This is very scary, we have never received a refund before (this is my first year not working due to having a child).

It looks like the miles I have put on my vehicle are the culprit. (Alot of driving with the business).

I have not made much this year but I am hoping that all of the driving I did will benefit next year and my business will grow.

I guess I am saying I feel shady looking at my tax return and seeing that my business is a $25,000 loss. When in reality it just does not feel like I was so negative.......... Although I did not even break even.

Will it be flagged by the IRS? Should I limit my losses this year? So I the numbers on my forms do not look so strange?

Please any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

As long as you have receipts for the things you bought and kept track of mileage on a log yoiu will be fine, its very common for a business to have a lose in the first year or two, $25,000 may seem like alot but compared to most businesses that isn't that much in the eyes of the IRS

In most cases, businesses will generate substantial tax losses the first few years. My first two years, my taxable loss was $50k+ each year, it looks like my 09-10 year will show a small taxable profit. As long as you have solid documentation on your deductions, take them.

Also, keep in mind that taxable profit/loss, is only for taxation. Many businesses are making money hand over fist, and generating a net loss on their tax returns. The opposite is also true, businesses losing money can generate a taxable net profit. Your taxable profit/loss is not the same as your operating profit/loss.