Sign in to follow this  
Nostromo

Fourth grader commits suicide

I've been thinking about this all morning.

Does anyone else wonder what he was called to the office for?

I just can't stop thinking about this and seeing his face. It's always in the back of my mind. B)

been bugging the tar out of me, it seems a pretty key detail, he was called to the office and they didnt say why...seems a key detail, or atleast a detail that should have been elaborated on

why should they elaborate? honestly, while it's tragic.... the details of the death (of a minor) are the business of the family and school and no one else's.

Speculation can hurt families, as Tee's recent thread is a first-hand example.

I just hope the boy RIP and the family finds a way to heal from this event.

I've been thinking about this all morning.

Does anyone else wonder what he was called to the office for?

I just can't stop thinking about this and seeing his face. It's always in the back of my mind. :)

been bugging the tar out of me, it seems a pretty key detail, he was called to the office and they didnt say why...seems a key detail, or atleast a detail that should have been elaborated on

why should they elaborate? honestly, while it's tragic.... the details of the death (of a minor) are the business of the family and school and no one else's.

Speculation can hurt families, as Tee's recent thread is a first-hand example.

I just hope the boy RIP and the family finds a way to heal from this event.

I agree. I didn't mean to insinuate anything. I was thinking more along the lines of maybe they called the boy in and said they found nothing in their 'investigation' of the bullying allegations?

I was picked on in school, which for a short time, turned me into the picker. For a time, I admit I was a vicious nasty little mouse to some people. I ended up apologizing, but still. Being bullied can affect each person differently. Back in my day, it wasn't like it seems to be now. But I know how very very bad I felt being picked on. There were days it made me cry, and days it made me lash out and want to just punch someone...ANYONE in the face.

It's just so...sad. And...for what? Will this boy's death be in vain? That's just so depressing. :) SOMETHING good has to come of this. Whether this school pulls it's collective head out of it's flowers and addresses the issue, or whether the bully (or bullies) get some kind of punishment. I'm hoping for both, but expecting neither.

ETA: typo

Edited by Fataliya

Its horrible that this happened, and i hope the kid is in a better place then he left. But really, is it any less a tragedy when a teenager decides that their life is going no where and its only going to get worse from where they are? Or a grown-up? We are in this world for such a short period of time, the whole of a human life is but a flash in the pan, some dim, some bright, none long lingering, but every one unique. I see it as a tragedy every time a life is snuffed out before its time.

We were given a world to make in our own image, and wrought of it a place that chews up gentle hearts and spits them out. Does it never occur to anyone that maybe theres something wrong with the world we are living in, not with the people who dont want to live in it? Wrath, Envy, Lust, Sloth, Gluttony, and above all, unbound Pride and Avarice, they are everywhere you look and the only people who seem to get anywhere in life are people who welcome them.

Suicide happens when one's pain outstrips their ability to cope with the pain. There are two ways out of such a situation. Either reduce the pain or increase your ability to cope with the pain.

A nine year old has NO WAY of totally comprehending the consequences of making that choice. It is up to the community around him to recognize and intervene. I think it does take a village, unfortunately, most of the time I see village salamanders that I don't want to give the time of day to... which is sad for the society at large IMO.

You don't have to make this personal. A suicide happens when it happens, the exact reasons are always down to the person. What ever suicidal thoughts and feelings you may have had, the ones i have are different. Thats how people are. Different. As for this kid. Theres something else going on. Self elimination inst something kids usually come to by them selves...Most kids it doesnt even really click that they will eventually die at all which tends to put me of the opinion that someone put the idea into his head..

When my youngest DD was in 3rd grade, her nemesis kept telling her that she should climb on the roof and jump off. She said this to her repeatedly. Who said this to that little girl? It's just aweful.

It wouldn't surprise me if this kid has some sort of learning disability/ADD or ADHD, is bullied by kids and is bullied by his teacher. My cousin had that happen to him. When a teacher picks on a child, they become open season for bullying by other children. They think its funny to lie and say that that kid did something and even though a teacher didn't see it that kid gets punished. The boys body slamming said kid on the playground. I made my youngest daughter go into the principle's office and tell the truth about how everyone was making up lies about her cousin. He went into a deep depression too. It was kinda scary. I tried to get his mother to homeschool him, but that would cut into her "me" time. :angry: He is forever changed by these experiences.

This bullying starts earlier and earlier. It's tragic and scary.

It's just so...sad. And...for what? Will this boy's death be in vain? That's just so depressing. :blush: SOMETHING good has to come of this. Whether this school pulls it's collective head out of it's flowers and addresses the issue, or whether the bully (or bullies) get some kind of punishment. I'm hoping for both, but expecting neither.

ETA: typo

I hope not.... :mellow: