Sign in to follow this  
Nostromo

Fourth grader commits suicide

The Colony is one of the towns that borders the city I grew up in. Very affluent, very highly rated schools. I was shocked to hear allegations that the school had ignored bullying. I've been following this story very closely because I'm very curious to see what comes out about it.

That poor little boy :unsure:

There is just no way I can click on that link. :angry:

I wish I hadn't clicked. They show a school picture of the adorable little boy smiling, and he's missing a front tooth. He was only two years older than my Maleena.

:)

posted on this earlier....what the parents are saying about the school is interesting..

http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?s...t&p=4043145

I have no doubt that the school swept it under the rug. The schools DO NOT CARE. I've been through this several times with DS. When I contact the school, they pretend to be all concerned, they may pull the bully into the office and have a "talk".....whatever. But when it comes right down to repeat offender bullies, they do nothing.

There's one kid in DS's grade that has a long history of abusing other kids. I personally think this kid is a ticking time bomb. But nothing happens to him, there are NO consequences by the school.

The schools are not going to care until they are forced to care. That's not going to happen until parents start holding them accountable and filing a lawsuit every time it happens.

That is so so sad. It makes me want to go to the school and pick up my 9 yr old ds and give him a hug. :huh:

Not much is surprising me here. Kid depressed. School saying its not harassment or bullying (IE We dont know what happened but its not our fault.) "Details of investigation will be kept confidential". IE local government covering school boards flowers which will likely get sued and come to some kind of under the table settlement with a nondisclosure agreement. Kinda just what you have to deal with when you live in a society that actually makes you more likely to be punished for defending your self from a bully then actually being the bully. Plus i keep hearing this "well they come from a broken home, you just dont understand" sort of thing. So you are suppose to feel bad for the little twit beating up kids for their money..right. Public schools are actually modeled after state prisons and most consider "free thinkers" more of a problem then bullies. "Well if they would just act and dress normally like the other cookie cutter kids, this wouldn't be a problem, dont you see they bring it on them selves?"

Depression is called rage turned inward. What it really is caused by how ever is the brains problem solving functions run amuck. You have something in your life you see as a problem, and the brain is designed to solve problems, so you keep thinking, and thinking, your brain keeps eliminating possible solutions, this didnt work, i cant do that, till finally you find a solution. Sometimes you actually figure out a way out of your problem. Other times... Some people hurt them selves as a solution to try and get help, or atleast attention. Yep, thats how most suicides happen. "If i get caught doing this maybe someone will finally figure out that i need help." Of course..there are others who know exactly what they are about to do.

Its horrible that this happened, and i hope the kid is in a better place then he left. But really, is it any less a tragedy when a teenager decides that their life is going no where and its only going to get worse from where they are? Or a grown-up? We are in this world for such a short period of time, the whole of a human life is but a flash in the pan, some dim, some bright, none long lingering, but every one unique. I see it as a tragedy every time a life is snuffed out before its time.

We were given a world to make in our own image, and wrought of it a place that chews up gentle hearts and spits them out. Does it never occur to anyone that maybe theres something wrong with the world we are living in, not with the people who dont want to live in it? Wrath, Envy, Lust, Sloth, Gluttony, and above all, unbound Pride and Avarice, they are everywhere you look and the only people who seem to get anywhere in life are people who welcome them.

Its horrible that this happened, and i hope the kid is in a better place then he left. But really, is it any less a tragedy when a teenager decides that their life is going no where and its only going to get worse from where they are? Or a grown-up?

No, I don't think it's any less of a tragedy when a teen or adult kills themselves. I can't speak for anyone else, but what shocked me even more about this case, is the child's age.

A friend of mine was in his 50's, and committed suicide a year ago. Obviously, we were all shocked and devastated, but...at least he was able to find happiness for a number of years, and live life to the fullest, before depression took a hold of him in his final years. In his prime, he traveled all over the world, met interesting people, etc. He was a great guy to be around, and for so many years, seemed genuinely happy.

But a 9 year-old boy? Gosh, he didn't get a chance to get out on his own and live his life for a number of years. Just cut short at such a young age.

Its horrible that this happened, and i hope the kid is in a better place then he left. But really, is it any less a tragedy when a teenager decides that their life is going no where and its only going to get worse from where they are? Or a grown-up? We are in this world for such a short period of time, the whole of a human life is but a flash in the pan, some dim, some bright, none long lingering, but every one unique. I see it as a tragedy every time a life is snuffed out before its time.

We were given a world to make in our own image, and wrought of it a place that chews up gentle hearts and spits them out. Does it never occur to anyone that maybe theres something wrong with the world we are living in, not with the people who dont want to live in it? Wrath, Envy, Lust, Sloth, Gluttony, and above all, unbound Pride and Avarice, they are everywhere you look and the only people who seem to get anywhere in life are people who welcome them.

Suicide happens when one's pain outstrips their ability to cope with the pain. There are two ways out of such a situation. Either reduce the pain or increase your ability to cope with the pain.

A nine year old has NO WAY of totally comprehending the consequences of making that choice. It is up to the community around him to recognize and intervene. I think it does take a village, unfortunately, most of the time I see village salamanders that I don't want to give the time of day to... which is sad for the society at large IMO.

Suicide happens when one's pain outstrips their ability to cope with the pain. There are two ways out of such a situation. Either reduce the pain or increase your ability to cope with the pain.

A nine year old has NO WAY of totally comprehending the consequences of making that choice. It is up to the community around him to recognize and intervene. I think it does take a village, unfortunately, most of the time I see village salamanders that I don't want to give the time of day to... which is sad for the society at large IMO.

You don't have to make this personal. A suicide happens when it happens, the exact reasons are always down to the person. What ever suicidal thoughts and feelings you may have had, the ones i have are different. Thats how people are. Different. As for this kid. Theres something else going on. Self elimination inst something kids usually come to by them selves...Most kids it doesnt even really click that they will eventually die at all which tends to put me of the opinion that someone put the idea into his head..

I've been thinking about this all morning.

Does anyone else wonder what he was called to the office for?

I just can't stop thinking about this and seeing his face. It's always in the back of my mind. :(

You don't have to make this personal. A suicide happens when it happens, the exact reasons are always down to the person. What ever suicidal thoughts and feelings you may have had, the ones i have are different. Thats how people are. Different. As for this kid. Theres something else going on. Self elimination inst something kids usually come to by them selves...Most kids it doesnt even really click that they will eventually die at all which tends to put me of the opinion that someone put the idea into his head..

I'm not making it personal :( I'm not sure where you get off making any ASSumptions about me, wrong assumptions at that.

I was speaking in GENERAL terms, that when a person can no longer cope and makes the assumption that their kids'/parents/SO/whatever is better off without them, often that is when suicide occurs.

You're the one who made it personal. Go back and sit in your corner in your basement :lol:

I stand by my statement as a mother of a 7yo, that MOST kids of that young of age, do not entirely comprehend the consequence of suicide. I think it is still an abstract idea in their head. They just want whatever to stop, not necessarily to never live again.... IMO

Edited by Jen23514

I stand by my statement as a mother of a 7yo, that MOST kids of that young of age, do not entirely comprehend the consequence of suicide. I think it is still an abstract idea in their head. They just want whatever to stop, not necessarily to never live again.... IMO

Yup.

You're the one who made it personal. Go back and sit in your corner in your basement ;)

:rofl:

Score one for Jen.

Echo, your turn.

Edited by Tigz

I just can't stop thinking about this and seeing his face. It's always in the back of my mind. :unsure:

Same here. B)

Edited by JennM

*ignores jen*

I just can't stop thinking about this and seeing his face. It's always in the back of my mind. :(

been bugging the tar out of me, it seems a pretty key detail, he was called to the office and they didnt say why...seems a key detail, or atleast a detail that should have been elaborated on

..I'm confused - as to why they are not doing a investigation..what if it was a murder made to look like a suicide..the school and teachers are checked in the shady judgement box...

..I'm confused - as to why they are not doing a investigation..what if it was a murder made to look like a suicide..the school and teachers are checked in the shady judgement box...

maybe they are. still, a 9 year old boy? i doubt he could be murdered without atleast some torn clothes or broken bones...