Real Estate Agent (Realtor) Warning Signs

Tommy The Cat

The last post in this topic was posted 4515 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Here is a list I plagiarized, added to and am now posting. I have found that there is significant truth in knowing these "staples" of the RE Agentspeak in assisting the Buyer in selecting a real estate agent (if you have to). Hear any one of these, pull out your jaundiced eye. :dntknw:

1. It is a good time to buy!

2. Hurry. This one won’t last.

3. Don’t throw away your money on rent.

4. If you are serious, you had better buy now or you might be priced out of the market.

5. They are not making land anymore.

6. If you see a property you love, you really need to make an offer.

7. The more earnest money you put down, the more seriously your offer is taken.

8. Things have been a bit slower than last year, but the last two weeks we have seen a lot more traffic.

9. Rates are creeping up, so you better get in now.

10. If you wait until the bottom, you will miss out on getting a property that you really like.

11. This property is priced at below market value.

12. Don’t worry. You can afford this house.

13. I will show my client the offer, but I just want to let you know that we have another offer for more coming in this afternoon.

14. Trust me.

15. It’s not just the commission. I really care about you.

16. Seller pays the agent's commissions.

17. I'll protect your interests at closing.

18. I know this market better than anyone.

19. When you own you are free to do whatever you want to your house, not with renting.

20. <insert your favorite real estate agent BS>

21. I've been selling homes for this builder for years and.......(pretty much anything stated after this should be suspect)

How about a list from the seller's agent? Over time I have gleaned that they aren't exactly looking to hold out for the best offer and are often willing to nudge the seller to take a relatively significant loss (translating to a minor one in their fees by comparison) in order to get the property moved. This is particularly relevant here in the days of short sales.

There's honest and dishonest individuals in every industry. There are real estate agents that do take their responsibilities seriously and do serve their clients' interest, and there are real estate agents that will say anything to close the sale faster.

We could create a list for CEO's, BODs, Accountants, Lawyers, etc.

Just keep in mind that a real estate agent does not get paid unless they sell -- even representing a seller they spend their own money on advertising, marketing, time for open houses, etc. And with a buyer, the convenience of meeting the buyer at their convenience, showing homes, etc.

I realize there are pros and cons to real estate agents, but I think you will find that it can be said about any profession.

If you choose a real estate, ask for reference letters, their statistics, and one that fits your needs. Keep in mind, that you need to interview them afterall you want to choose the one that represents your best interests.

Just my 2 cents.

• Admin
There's honest and dishonest individuals in every industry. There are real estate agents that do take their responsibilities seriously and do serve their clients' interest, and there are real estate agents that will say anything to close the sale faster.

+1

We could create a list for CEO's, BODs, Accountants, Lawyers, etc.

Here's an interesting poll for you.

Respect And Realtors - Mutually Exclusive Terms?

Edited by Tommy The Cat

21. I've been selling homes for this builder for years and.......(pretty much anything stated after this should be suspect)
:lol:

How about a list from the seller's agent? Over time I have gleaned that they aren't exactly looking to hold out for the best offer and are often willing to nudge the seller to take a relatively significant loss (translating to a minor one in their fees by comparison) in order to get the property moved. This is particularly relevant here in the days of short sales.

If there is anything to learn from your statement, it is that a Seller or Buyer should set their own terms based on their own knowledge sets. If an Agent is pushing you outside of your prestated parameters, there had better be a superior reason for it...or tell that Agent to pound sand. :huh:

+1

As I read it, the problem I have with your statement is that it presupposes that the real estate agent community is a a cross section of the American human one. That is, predominantly compassionate, honest, etc. Being a Realtor/Agent, I can say this is nowhere near the case.

The real estate agent community, with its easy entrance, lack of applied ethics rules, absurd educational requirements, self-serving national and local boards and preponderance of large broker/agent houses (which facilitate this lack of directional control and sell-at-any-cost mentality) and heavy-handed lobbying practices is fraught with incompetency, irrlevancy and down right fraud. For all practical purposes, it is morally bankrupt.

Hmmm, maybe it is a cross section of American humanity. <_<

WOW!!!

I guess a Realtor screwed you bad. I have noticed a few of your anti-realtor posts. Some of us DO take our professions seriously and has our clients BEST interest at heart. NOT just for commission. And there certainly are bad apples everywhere... CAVEAT EMPTOR!!! Do your due diligence with EVERYTHING you partake in.

WOW!!!

I guess a Realtor screwed you bad. I have noticed a few of your anti-realtor posts. Some of us DO take our professions seriously and has our clients BEST interest at heart. NOT just for commission. And there certainly are bad apples everywhere... CAVEAT EMPTOR!!! Do your due diligence with EVERYTHING you partake in.

I'm a Realtor. :lol:

• Admin

+1

As I read it, the problem I have with your statement is that it presupposes that the real estate agent community is a a cross section of the American human one. That is, predominantly compassionate, honest, etc. Being a Realtor/Agent, I can say this is nowhere near the case.

The real estate agent community, with its easy entrance, lack of applied ethics rules, absurd educational requirements, self-serving national and local boards and preponderance of large broker/agent houses (which facilitate this lack of directional control and sell-at-any-cost mentality) and heavy-handed lobbying practices is fraught with incompetency, irrlevancy and down right fraud. For all practical purposes, it is morally bankrupt.

Hmmm, maybe it is a cross section of American humanity. :rofl:

I've bought and sold several houses over the last few decades, using a realtor in each transaction. I only recall one realtor I really had a problem with. :lol:

I've mostly lived in the upper midwest, where RE never turned into a free-for-all though. The lack of easy money might do something to weed out some of the bad ones.

WOW!!!

I'm a Realtor. :)

:)

Guess someone got a little heated and spoke just a tad bit too soon...too funny! :P

Edited by CreditMcNugget

WOW!!!

I'm a Realtor. ;)

If you are truly a Realtor then YOU might want to start adhering to the Code of Ethics of Ethics and Standards of Practice in Article 15 and stop making reckless and misleading statements about the entire industry.

WOW!!!

I'm a Realtor. :)

A realtor whose tag line is "Meow"? :)

No advice taken seriously for that corny *ish alone.

WOW!!!

I'm a Realtor. <_<

If you are truly a Realtor then YOU might want to start adhering to the Code of Ethics of Ethics and Standards of Practice in Article 15 and stop making reckless and misleading statements about the entire industry.

The basics of any ethical statement is the truth. Nothing I have said is untruthful.

WOW!!!

I'm a Realtor. <_<

A realtor whose tag line is "Meow"? :huh:

No advice taken seriously for that corny *ish alone.

Best of luck in your bubbling blowing journey in home ownership. :mellow:

:grin:

Best of luck in your bubbling blowing journey in home ownership. :grin:

:huh:

Expected from a grown man who says, "Meow!!" :mellow:

Anyway, very happy in my home and loving my choices which you have NO insight about.

So I will accept your offhanded well wishes and remind you that you are living on the same planet or ummm litterbox Catboy [dont know how far you take the persona], so any bubble I am in you are in also. <_<

This is the elitist crap I was referring to in another thread, people like you just dont see themselves as part of the rest of us and/or your industry and post nose up in the air nonsense continually...please do the rest of us a favor and be on the first spaceship to planet perfect when available.

Edited by Operation_Home_Ownership

Geez. Its a good thing that Mr. Meow wasn't say....an attorney, a used car salesman, a Congressman or some other such profession. Surely that too would preclude him from the ranks of the informed and enlightened in spite of the message, however I doubt that there would be such righteous indignation from the anti-"elitist" set were he of one of those flavors.

IMO, who better to opine than someone who actually WORKS within a particular industry and isn't afraid to call a spade a spade.

I could do the same for my 'industry' as well, and occasionally do, especially when the bad seeds and inevitable amateurs are on the rise or are otherwise staining the name with technically legal, but not necessarily ethical nuances within the practice. And this is a consumer centric platform after all. Address the message. If it is false or misleading, then how so? Please divulge.

Edited by caffeinekid

Geez. Its a good thing that Mr. Meow wasn't say....an attorney, a used car salesman, a Congressman or some other such profession. Surely that too would preclude him from the ranks of the informed and enlightened in spite of the message, however I doubt that there would be such righteous indignation from the anti-"elitist" set were he of one of those flavors.

IMO, who better to opine than someone who actually WORKS within a particular industry and isn't afraid to call a spade a spade.

I could do the same for my 'industry' as well, and occasionally do, especially when the bad seeds and inevitable amateurs are on the rise or are otherwise staining the name with technically legal, but not necessarily ethical nuances within the practice. And this is a consumer centric platform after all. Address the message. If it is false or misleading, then how so? Please divulge.

There is a difference between being informative and the following up with constant commentary of fingerpointing and/or sweeping blueprint to perfection in consumerism. You too are guilty of the same type of posting. IN FACT I was sure your post was coming not far behind his in this thread. I have been reading here for yeeears and I can almost predict what type of posts will come from some and the follow-up commentary. Sure everyone is free to post what they want ofcourse, but do not act surprised when the reaction turns into that of individuals having their limit of the snubbing and snobbery.

What is the old saying, 'when you point fingers how many are pointing right back at you?'

Do not be fooled, you [universal] are not seen as different from your counterparts when pointing the fingers at your industry and whoever else you decide to post articles about and cut down this week as being the blame, deserving of misfortune, the list goes on but I will not. Blah!

WOW!!!

I'm a Realtor. :lol:

:lol:

Guess someone got a little heated and spoke just a tad bit too soon...too funny! :(

nope not all.......too funny.

Best of luck in your bubbling blowing journey in home ownership. :mellow:

:grin:

Expected from a grown man who says, "Meow!!" <_<

Anyway, very happy in my home and loving my choices which you have NO insight about.

So I will accept your offhanded well wishes and remind you that you are living on the same planet or ummm litterbox Catboy [dont know how far you take the persona], so any bubble I am in you are in also. <_<

Um, I was referring to your own profile. :o

Bubble Blower

She won't, and can't, because there is no falsity in either your statements or mine.

And the remainder of society has opined the same thing as I have posted the polls before that show less than 20% of the home buying populace see Realtors as honorable and deserving of respect. Think about that. When a Realtor is speaking to a client, there is an 80% chance they are not only not paying attention but discredit the advice.

I see this attitude all the time, in the first meetings I have with a potential client, there is only discussion about what they perceive, what are the realities. Of the five I meet for the first time, two I will dismiss, two will not like the message (and shoot the messenger because of it) and one will go to contract with me.

Most people even when buying a home don't want the facts. They want either for the Realtor to agree with their perceptions or for the Realtor to build them a pretty picture regardless of the facts. Most Realtors do this and can make a lot of money with this style of deception.

No wonder 80% think we are low lying dogs. <_<

She won't, and can't, because there is no falsity in either your statements or mine.

And the remainder of society has opined the same thing as I have posted the polls before that show less than 20% of the home buying populace see Realtors as honorable and deserving of respect. Think about that. When a Realtor is speaking to a client, there is an 80% chance they are not only not paying attention but discredit the advice.

I see this attitude all the time, in the first meetings I have with a potential client, there is only discussion about what they perceive, what are the realities. Of the five I meet for the first time, two I will dismiss, two will not like the message (and shoot the messenger because of it) and one will go to contract with me.

Most people even when buying a home don't want the facts. They want either for the Realtor to agree with their perceptions or for the Realtor to build them a pretty picture regardless of the facts. Most Realtors do this and can make a lot of money with this style of deception.

No wonder 80% think we are low lying dogs. :mellow:

Be clear I have NO problem with Realtors. In fact, mine is now a friend in my book and I enjoy this Forum and its unpaid contributors.

As Tom Cat eluded to, there is no exact falsity being pointed out here. I am merely stepping up highlighting the growing distain for the need to separate YOURSELVES from your speeches, lectures, and follow up points. I find it hard to believe, but perhaps you do not realize you are doing so...possible. <_< Anyway...

We are intelligent readers, LOVE lively discussion, but if you review the general response or lack thereof it seems that the growing disgust goes over your heads. I personally dubb most of your feedback as elitist as you constantly inform us of the perfect way to consume as if you have followed to the letter in all your personal financial decisions and dispise the rest of us for ruining your world. Which without even knowing you both personally, I can say with fair certainty you have not as no one is perfect.

By all means continue to post & share info, its not what you say BUT its how you say it PLUS follow it up over & over & over again, BUT realize YOU are apart of the problem as [hopefully] a contributing member of society. Accept your share whether it is as a realtor, seller, buyer, general consumer, etc. and make more of a conscientious effort to stop talking down to the rest of the Forum. OR NOT, either way I am sure it will all be dealt with accordingly as people will only take but so much of your snobbery. :aggressive:

Signed with Respect,

OHO aka Bubble Blower ;)

The last post in this topic was posted 4515 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.