Do you ever feel you missed your boat?

creditnob

The last post in this topic was posted 4359 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

OK, not crying or anything, but do you ever feel you missed your boat? I was taught from young age to work hard, etc. and things would pay off. Well, things just didn't quiet go that way for me. I do ok and make a decent living etc. but nothing to write home about.

I am actually disappointed at the way I was taught. I found out way too late in life that it is more about who you know and well... let's just say etc. etc. than what you know.

While all is not over for me yet and I feel there is more good things headed my way (i plan to make it so), I would like to tell all the young folks to go for your dreams while still fresh in your mind and you are able to take advantage of it to do so NOW! The older you get the harder it is to reach them.

Just adding my 2 cents and looking for more change.

OH, now i am not one for any kind of rap usually, but someone showed me a video that i actually love (maybe it is the 7 and 7 talking as i have had way too many at this point)--lol

Warning; video has very strong language almost entire video but it fits what i feel like i deserve or missed or maybe need to strive for--lol--adult type language

puts me in a good mood (the video to me is not at all about the language but what it protrays--some will have to ignore language --if that is at all possible---you sure can't miss it.

i actually like the group--dang

oh, i am 47 now---so not all is lost :dntknw:

Edited by creditnob

Life is hard. That is the rule of the day unless you were born a socialite....and believe it or not, I am fairly certain that they have their problems as well.

Working hard may, or may not get you to where you want to go....but not working hard, will never get you there.

The universe, termination to termination, across the event horizon, intersecting earth at its epicenter, is roughly 75 Billion light years wide. And know what else? theres more out there! thats just the extent that modern equipment can detect. There might even be whole other universes out there, as many of them as there are galaxies in our own that fill something so brainrapingly huge that it cant even be put into a scale of rational thought, and maybe it isnt even all that there is!.

That said. It makes one thing perfectly clear. What i see when i look around is something so tiny that i might as well be what ever electrons trip over, for all the difference in size. I have a brain, i have an imagination, i think this world sucks, imma go live in my own, things make sense there.

I tried three times to write something that isn't mean or derogatory but I can't do it. All I can say is that the rules that apply today didn't exist 10 years ago, let alone 47. Don't be disappointed in your upbringing; be disappointed in your inability to adapt to an ever changing world, for whatever reason that may be.

I tried three times to write something that isn't mean or derogatory but I can't do it. All I can say is that the rules that apply today didn't exist 10 years ago, let alone 47. Don't be disappointed in your upbringing; be disappointed in your inability to adapt to an ever changing world, for whatever reason that may be.

My mommy always says, if you cant think of anything nice to say, you should just remember these four letters.

PuppyVSPuppy.jpg

S. T. F. U.

Very good post.

Plus, the theory of "relativity" has been around since the beginning of TIME. That does not change unless the person is an absolute nit-wit...and even then sometimes they are still there. But for the other 99% of the world, people get places by working hard and staying current with new trends.

And still the relative or other person picked due to knowing someone....might just happen to know their stuff.

I understand where you may be coming from and I am a big boy so by all means if you feel the need to "tell it like it is" I won't be offended. :ph34r:

Maybe I didn't state my position as eloquently as I should have. I am very proud of my upbringing and the way I way raised. I just feel like I should have employed more tools along the way and relied to much on certain ways. I don't know your age, but when I was growing up, it was a time of "work hard and get ahead". That's just what was taught.

It did change along the way and I actually saw much of it. I decided that much if not all of it was not to my liking and in relation to what I was taught.

I have to admit guilt in that part of the equation. Again, I am not crying so much as saying that "I probably would have employed more methods" along the way if I were to do it over again. That's all, nothing more. I was just attempting to tell the younger folks here to be aware of that and to pull out the stops and go for it.

Believe me when I say I have adapted. But no amount of adaptation can prepare you for things like being laid off (economy, etc. never fired), from 4 major companies. I worked for 2 major steel mills, a government contractor building and dismantling weapons with security clearance, and the plastics industry. So, I have learned and excelled in all these yet still seemed to fall down. It takes longer than you would think to recover from just one instance, much less 4 of them.

Knowing what I know now, I am pretty sure I would have done more as far as self employment. But that's just me. I am not trying to tell others what to do, but to just do it and have other options and tools at their disposal.

As I said, all is not lost for me by far. Just wish I would have put more into it at a younger age. They can choose the road I took or maybe listen to a little bit of what I am saying. That's all. Just a heads up for them. :D

Edit: I was not attempting to post anything that got deep or such. I guess everything is rosy and life is turning out just like everyone thought it would.

Edited by creditnob

I didn't miss my boat. It sank. :ph34r:

ETA: But on a serious note, too many people equate their "boat" with finances, and generally speaking, I think people whose happiness relies on money will never be truly happy, regardless of whether or not they have the material wealth of Bill Gates. I like material things as much as the next guy, and I've been both poor and comfortable in the past, but none of it really means much in the big scheme of things.

Edited by Quit Screwing Me

My mommy always says, if you cant think of anything nice to say, you should just remember these four letters.

PuppyVSPuppy.jpg

S. T. F. U.

I had no idea that you had suddenly taken over ownership of this board.

Oh wait. You haven't.

OK then, I didn't realize you are now a mod/FL.

Oh wait. You AREN'T.

So why don't you crawl back under yer little rock and come back ... how about 10 min from never? That work for you? Because it sure works for me.

Maybe I didn't state my position as eloquently as I should have. I am very proud of my upbringing and the way I way raised. I just feel like I should have employed more tools along the way and relied to much on certain ways. I don't know your age, but when I was growing up, it was a time of "work hard and get ahead". That's just what was taught.

I am not much younger than you, actually. But I learned fairly quickly that there is no loyalty from employers today like there was 40 years ago. That ended in the 1980s, and it sounds like that's a great deal of what you "counted on" throughout your career. I understand being laid off is a kick in the teeth, and I know it happens to some folks more than once. But four times? I think I would have done SOMETHING to make myself more viable in the job marketplace ... I'm not saying you haven't, mind you. I just know that I would have done something completely different - whether it was gaining new skills, or like you said, self-employment.

But I have a low BS tolerance. I get tired of things pretty quickly and I'm restless by nature. I've been with the same company for 10 years, but the only way that's been possible is because I am always learning new skills, making myself more "necessary" to our business. I don't know that my "success" has nearly as much to do with who I know, or what I know today, as much as it has to do with what I'm willing to learn tomorrow. "Who I know" has paid off for me only because people know my work ethic is stellar, and that I can do anything I set my mind to, because I'm willing to work hard to achieve it. That's the only way "who I know" has affected my career. Without the work ethic and the ability to adapt, I could know the most influential people in business and still be a secretary.

I don't know a single person under the age of 50 who hasn't had to re-invent themselves at least once to keep up with today's job market. It just doesn't pay to sit still and wait to see what happens. That's the thinking of someone from 1945, not someone who's approaching 2010 ... You really have to be ready and willing to make the jump and do something completely different if you want to get ahead today.

Please note: "You" is generic in this post. It is not meant to target one person in particular.

I do.

I feel like I missed my boat about 5 1/2 years ago when the H FIRST cheated on me. Instead, I sat around sure that things would get better, 'cause... dude. How could they NOT? We're great friends. But, somehow :ph34r:, here we are, 5 years and a kid later, and oh, look. Nothing.changed.

Yep. I feel you.

PuppyVSPuppy.jpg

S. T. F. U.

I had no idea that you had suddenly taken over ownership of this board.

Oh wait. You haven't.

OK then, I didn't realize you are now a mod/FL.

Oh wait. You AREN'T.

So why don't you crawl back under yer little rock and come back ... how about 10 min from never? That work for you? Because it sure works for me.

Oh, oh gods, the words, they have so stung my poor little heart, I fear it may never be the same.

yeah, the post was not only meant to be about work, money, etc. Just a question actually (i just happen to state some of my journey) about maybe how you thought you would be doing something totally different, yes making more money and the general direction your life has taken.

Again, was not meant to be as deep as the thread has gone, but no matter, that's ok too. :ph34r:

Yeah, i thought my life would have been somewhat different, but it's ok still.

you==is meant to be all of you.

Edited by creditnob

I can't relate to the video linked in the OP. Its message is "Envy me" as far as I can tell. I like to work hard for what I have but I have no interest in pointing out to others that they don't have as much.

I understand what you are saying and have to agree that it does convey that too. I was just thinking at a younger age, I was kinda cocky like that---but didn't use that language back then--would have been slapped thru a wall--lol. i never fault anyone for what they have as i know life can throw curve balls.

Guess i was more of less reminiscing of younger days--lol

Edited by creditnob

PuppyVSPuppy.jpg

S. T. F. U.

Echo:

Your behavior the past couple of days has been more bizarre than usual and that is saying a lot.

See your PM's for your official warning.

Moderation of your posts may also be forthcoming.

I have nothing to add but

PuppyVSPuppy.jpg

S. T. F. U.

:clapping:

That is all.

Hey sweetie,

I've been standing on the docks waving for a long time.....

sometimes you don't see the boat you missed until it's passed...

Other times, it's going by so fast, it isn't going to slow down for you.

and all those folks you see on the boat you missed ?

they wished they were on another boat instead.

The last post in this topic was posted 4359 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.