Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Spouses income needed for collection agency?

The last post in this topic was posted 4108 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I've been Googling and searching here for 2 hours and I'm not getting anywhere.

My friend hit some hard times and she's doing payment plans with most of her creditors. Two of her accounts are with collection agencies but the one which is causing her grief, is Chase collections - Bureau of Collections ("BCR").

Today they were trying to work out a payment arrangement. The debt is soley in her name and they said in order to work out a payment arrangement they required her spouses income information - amount he was paid, how often, etc., in order to come up with a payment plan.

Why on earth does that matter when the debt (I think it's $10K +) is only in her name?

They've managed to keep up to date on his credit obligations, but just barely. He is the breadwinner and I had suggested not letting both of their credit historys plummet if not necessary, so her's took the beating. I'm hoping like heck I didn't give them bad advice - I just figured from a fixing credit standpoint, one report to fix is easier than two... plus if he needs to find a new job, his occupation is much more likely to involve a credit check than hers.

Anyway, is that typical of a collection agency to require information on a spouse who is not liable for the debt?

Thanks!

I've been Googling and searching here for 2 hours and I'm not getting anywhere.

My friend hit some hard times and she's doing payment plans with most of her creditors. Two of her accounts are with collection agencies but the one which is causing her grief, is Chase collections - Bureau of Collections ("BCR").

Today they were trying to work out a payment arrangement. The debt is soley in her name and they said in order to work out a payment arrangement they required her spouses income information - amount he was paid, how often, etc., in order to come up with a payment plan.

Why on earth does that matter when the debt (I think it's $10K +) is only in her name?

They've managed to keep up to date on his credit obligations, but just barely. He is the breadwinner and I had suggested not letting both of their credit historys plummet if not necessary, so her's took the beating. I'm hoping like heck I didn't give them bad advice - I just figured from a fixing credit standpoint, one report to fix is easier than two... plus if he needs to find a new job, his occupation is much more likely to involve a credit check than hers.

Anyway, is that typical of a collection agency to require information on a spouse who is not liable for the debt?

Thanks!

THE SPOUSE IS NOT LIABLE FOR INDIVIDUAL DEBT OF THE OTHER SPOUSE

Unless you live here...

The community property states are:

Arizona.

California.

Idaho.

Louisiana.

Nevada.

New Mexico.

Texas.

Washington.

Wisconsin.

We're in PA, so no community property state here... but she already gave them the info on her spouse but it's bugging her that she did that.

I guess she can call tomorrow and tell them that she can't make the payment amount that they had wanted her to, based on her income alone.... which she can't really make it based on his and hers anyway.... she was just stalling, I guess hoping to win the lottery or something? <G>

So in giving them that info, they can't really do anything to her husband, correct? He's not on the card, even as an AU... the debt is totally and 100% in her name.

Would threatening (and it's not much of a threat - it's a possibility at this point I think) BK make them consider adjusting the payment to just take her income into consideration???

They cant do anything to her husband. As far as threatening BK they probably wouldnt care but I would tell your friend to pay what she can afford. Personally I wouldnt pay them squat I would just call the OC. If I remember correctly wages cant be garnished in PA so if they win a lawsuit no paychecks will be threatened but bank accounts may be.

The last post in this topic was posted 4108 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.