Costco/AMEX: is Costco thinking of giving AMEX the heave-ho?

Flashman

The last post in this topic was posted 4623 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if Costco is working on severing their relationship with AMEX? Or is at least considering accepting CCs other than AMEX? I was led to understand that Costco only accepts AMEX, but I could be wrong on that.

And since we're talking about Costco, [clears throat] would someone be kind enough to tell me if some Costcos have a optometrist? And if Costco offers good deals on eye exams and glasses (rather than contact lenses)?

The Costco/AMEX food stamp thread (may it rest in peace) got me thinking about going to Costco for my next pair of glasses, but I'm not sure how Costco would compare cost-wise as opposed to, say, the optometrist at Wal-Mart as far as getting an eye exam and a (decent-looking) pair of glasses.

I'm afraid I haven't set foot in Costco in some years, but I need a new pair of glasses soon, as I've wrung just about all that I can out of my current pair (in fact they, uh, look as though they have passed through an elephant's digestive system). I thought that the Wal-Mart optometrist might represent the ultimate in cost-cutting, (without compromising the quality of the exam and/or glasses, that is) but now I'm thinking that Costco might be the way to go (and that getting glasses there may propel even an inveterate cheapskate such as myself to cough up the membership fee). :)

Believe or don't, the two questions are actually related insofar as if Costco is working on transitioning over to another card, (or cards) I will gladly postpone getting new glasses for a month or three (and maybe a bit longer) so that I have more of a choice as to what credit card I can use for pay for the exam and glasses (which I'd be paying for out of pocket*).

*Unless, of course, a generous CBer wants to list me as an AU on one of their cards so's I could assist them in earning cash back/rewards. :D

Flashman:

I get my glasses at Costco.

I have no idea if they are competitive in pricing, or not. :unsure:

Bob

P.S. I think the AmEx/Costco relationship has been very beneficial to both, so it's not going away any time soon.

Glad I don't need AMEX, OR CostCo!

Closest CostCo to me is in New Jersey so every trip there means I have to pay a bridge toll to get back home. No thanks. Besides, it's New Jersey. :mellow:

NJ... the only state where it's free to enter, but you have to PAY to leave it (NY, PA and DE). :wave:

costcos have optical. Also if you use a costco cash gift card you dont need a membership so it maybe cheaper if you seldom visit there. zenioptical has decent yet simple prescription glasses for very cheap and they are quite good

costcos have optical. Also if you use a costco cash gift card you dont need a membership so it maybe cheaper if you seldom visit there. zenioptical has decent yet simple prescription glasses for very cheap and they are quite good

That's good to know if they ever build a Costco on this side of town.

I am going to give away a little known secret: you can purchase "Costco Cash" cards at www.costco.com and pay for them with American Express, VISA, Discover, or Mastercard... for those of you who are AMEX-adverse. Happy shopping!

Thats a great tip! I had no idea or would have never thought of that.

I am going to give away a little known secret: you can purchase "Costco Cash" cards at www.costco.com and pay for them with American Express, VISA, Discover, or Mastercard... for those of you who are AMEX-adverse. Happy shopping!

It says a surcharge applies if you're not a member, didn't go see what it was.

It says a surcharge applies if you're not a member, didn't go see what it was.

SAMS IS 10% JACK-UP FEE w/o membership

I would assume it is the same (unless it is only what SAMS "WAS" some years ago +5%)

The Costco/AMEX food stamp thread (may it rest in peace) got me thinking about going to Costco for my next pair of glasses, but I'm not sure how Costco would compare cost-wise as opposed to, say, the optometrist at Wal-Mart as far as getting an eye exam and a (decent-looking) pair of glasses.

My neighbors wife is the Wal-Mart optical shop manager. All I can say is they don't have the best value on glasses. You should shop around.

Costco has high quality and usually good customer service (or will try to make good if you are unhappy). Personally, I wouldn't trust Wal-Mart for my eye exams - to me it would be like going to K-Mart for glasses.

My eyes are pretty bad and I have progressives so I prefer high quality glasses and service. Sam's is probably

about the same as Costco, whatever is convenient.

Costco has high quality and usually good customer service (or will try to make good if you are unhappy). Personally, I wouldn't trust Wal-Mart for my eye exams - to me it would be like going to K-Mart for glasses.

My eyes are pretty bad and I have progressives so I prefer high quality glasses and service. Sam's is probably

Walmart's service is only as good as the docs who work there... and you can find bad docs at any chain. We used to go to sears in our poor days because i could put it on my sears card and get like 6 months no interest. I switched to a chain in the eyemasters family because i didn't think the sears doc did a good exam. Then i got po'd at the new place and went to lenscrafters. I liked the doc at lenscrafters, so when we moved i went to lenscrafters here. DH's ins has coverage at eyemasters so we switched again... i would have left lenscrafters anyway as the glasses at lenscrafters weren't "right". (I have computer glasses and after about 5 months i couldn't see the screen.)

**INDEPENDENT BUSINESS**

They make nothing at the location

Glasses are sent out

You can get bad glasses from some HIGH END place (what ever that is)

First, here's my recent question to Costco on this issue, and their response.

[started with several sentences saying 'you have to raise credit limit issues with American Express, then...]

We at Costco Wholesale appreciate your loyal membership. It is only because of members like you that we have been able to achieve the success that we have. We hope that you will allow Costco Wholesale to continue to serve your shopping needs.

It is our mission to continually provide our members with the highest quality merchandise at the lowest possible prices. We must keep our operating costs low so that we can continue to offer the lowest possible prices on our merchandise.

Credit card transaction fees are the single highest expense we have at our locations. Transaction fees charged by Visa, MasterCard, and Discover are the highest of all the payment options we currently accept. Costco has negotiated a long-term partnership with American Express, which allows us to accept their credit cards with reasonable transaction fees. By not accepting Visa, MasterCard, and Discover, we are better positioned to continue offering the lowest prices on our merchandise.

Costco Cash Cards can be purchased at any Costco location or online at www.costco.com. Our Cash Cards can be pre-loaded for any amount from $25-$1000.

Thank you,

Brenda

Costco Wholesale Corporation

Note this message was submitted through the costco.com web site customer suggestion page on 05/27/2009 19:46:44 PST

Comment/Suggestion/Request/Question Text:

Can you please revisit the question of only allowing Amex?

I'm a relatively high dollar client, I think. Last year I purchased about $100k in goods from Costco, mainly investment-grade wines. I cannot purchase this year / won't, as you only accept Amex.

Even though I have over 150k in income, no late payments over the last 7 years on over 2 dozen accounts, and my jobs are secure, Amex has cut my available credit by 90%. Other credit providers are now actually increasing my credit, but I can't use those, b/c you don't accept them!

I think this is important - Amex highlighted for me as the initial 'issue' the large dollar value of charges I've made at Costco in the last year! I am not alone in this experience - my friends who include bankers have had similar problems, and the 'boards' on the internet have many thousands of similar tales.

Amex is not reliable enough to the consumer to have an exclusive with your business! I ask you to reconsider that relationship, as with things as they stand, my business with you will be down a good 90% this year as Amex simply has no significant ability to extend me credit.

Second, I've read that Costco Amex renewed a 10 year agreement in 2004, I believe. Could they break that if enough customers are complaining? I certainly don't know...

Third, I bet the person who set the deal up is saying how well it is working! Would they say anything else?

Fourth, if you are frustrated with Costco only accepting Amex, they need to hear that from you. It only take a few minutes through their website to register your views with a message.

modestexpert

Walmart's service is only as good as the docs who work there... and you can find bad docs at any chain.

+1

I went to Walmart for an eye exam and I liked the way I was treated and I think that I got a good prescription. Wherever you go it comes down to the individual who does your exam.

The last post in this topic was posted 4623 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.