Sign in to follow this  
jpeace121

Help with RJM Acquisitions

Thanks to anyone who can provide some help. For statutory purposes, I live in Virginia.

I recently received notice from one of my CCs that they were closing my account due to a bad recent record on my credit report. I pulled my report from Experian, and had a collection on there from RJM Acquisitions. It is for a book club account that is not mine - I didn't order the books, and never received the books. They claim the account was opened in 2004, but listed an address that I lived in in 1999. I'm fully confident that the debt is not mine (As an aside, I'm also being harrassed by National Recovery Agency for a different book club debt, but I think I chased them away).

Anyways, RJM put a collection notice on my credit report and this was the very first I had heard of it. Never received a single phone call or email or letter in the mail. My credit has never been sterling due to revolving CC debt, but I've never had a collection issued to my report, so I immediately disputed online with Experian. Today, their investigation results indicated that the collection notice remains. This was worthless, since they never asked any details at all. Additionally, by disputing with Experian, RJM claims that they were forced to reage the debt from the supposed original account open date of Oct 2004 to Feb of 2008, which is when RJM purchased the account.

I've tried to read through the FAQs and learn what I can on the board, but I could use a little more guidance here. Having disputed with Experian, and received no relief, is my next step to dispute with RJM via RMCCC? Can someone point me in the direction of a template for a letter that I can send to them?

It's a small amount of money, less than $30, but I'm afraid that if I just send them a check that they won't pull the record off my credit report. Does my paying the debt compel them to remove it? In other words, can I pay the debt and then provide Experian notice that it has been paid? Honestly, I don't want to give them one red cent. I would argue that the SOL has passed, but I'm unclear on the SOL for this in VA, I've read 3 years in some places and 5 years in others. Also, the reaging of the debt seems to eliminate that as a remedy.

This is my first experience with something like this. I'm infinitely frustrated that they made no legitimate attempt to contact me before dinging my credit. Any help or guidance that anyone can provide to get this taken care of would be massively appreciated. Please let me know if I've left out any details that may be helpful. Thanks in advance.

For me...personally....RJM Acq. was very easy to get rid of. I sent a DV letter to them and withing the 30 days it was off my reports. Not sure if you will have the same luck as I did. Try and send a DV first.....then see what happens. If you want to PIF and see if they remove it, ask them for something in writing agreeing to a delete upon payment in full. But do not pay it without their agreeing to it in writing.

I would pay them off with a PFD.

Here's why.

2 CMRRR to them is 12.00

+1 CMRRR to EX, EQ, or TU is 17.00

This might not work and cost more money and TIME.

I would do a pay for delete and mail them a check for 30 bucks with a restrictive endorsement.

Offer less... say about 30% and a PFD letter from them. See if they bite. From what I have read they are pretty good about PFD. I have 2 RJMs on my reports I am trying to figure out how to handle since they are both within SOL.

I've done 2 PFD with them and both were taken off. One was for me and other for my fiancé. They're pretty easy to wrk with. They'll even fax you an agreement before u make payment.

Thanks to everyone for the quick replies. While I'm principally opposed to sending these criminals money, my credit score is more important than my principals. Seems like a PFD is the way to go, considering johnnyt6's points about the costs involved with the CMRRRs.

So I'm assuming I just negotiate that with them on the phone? I should start with an offer of around 70% in exchange for the deletion? And I just need to make sure that I have them fax an agreement before sending payment? I'm assuming this agreement indicates that they will be removing the record once payment is received? I'm just worried about them following through, considering their lack of due diligence heretofore. If they don't follow through, can that agreement be presented to Experian to compel them to remove the record?

Finally, is it worth my time and energy to dispute the debt with them during the call, or to mouse at them for not sending me any notice whatsoever before dinging my credit report? Or is it better to just move right on to paying it and being done with it?

Thanks again, everyone.

I agree with the 1st poster, I had them on my CR with a book club as well that was not mine, I sent them a DV letter, and added it to my "jack attack" dispute letter to CRA, it was gone from my report quick. I personally would refuse to pay for something that wasn't mine!

Thanks again to everyone for your help. After sleeping on it for a couple of days, I'm going the DV route. I just can't stomach sending these people any money. I'd rather give it to the USPS. And based on what I'm reading about people's track records with the DV, I feel like I've got a decent shot to get them to back down. I've looked over lots of sample letters, and read the debates about DV letters, and here's what I've come up with. Comments on this are welcome. I've already disputed with the CRA and it was verified by them.

May 25, 2009

RJM Acquisitions LLC

PO Box 18006

Hauppauge, NY 11788-8806

Re RJM File #: xxxxxxxxxxxx

VIA CERTIFIED MAIL RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED

To Whom It May Concern:

I am in receipt of a recent credit report showing an entry by your company for account $xx.xx. I have not received any correspondence from your company regarding this alleged debt until I disputed the debt with Experian. This letter serves as initial communication. This letter was a timely dispute of this alleged debt, therefore I demand all collection activity cease immediately.

This is not a refusal to pay, but a notice that your claim is disputed in full.

More specifically, I am disputing the reporting of the following items to the credit reporting agencies:

- the amount of $xx.xx is due your company

- that this alleged debt is payable to you

- the date of last activity reported by your company

- that you have the right to report lates on 5/08, 6/08, 8/08, 10/08, 11/08, 1/09, 2/09, 4/09, 5/09

- I was never late to you on the above-mentioned dates.

As a data furnisher to credit reporting agencies, RJM Acqusitions LLC has an obligation to report and provide accurate information. The specific items disputed above (as notated by bullet points) are not accurate and I dispute your reporting of this information as allowed under 15USC1681s-2(8)(D). If you update this information as correct with the credit bureaus, I request that the supporting documentation be forwarded to me.

In each of the line items above, RJM Acquisitions is making false representation of this alleged debt, as defined in 15USC 1692e(2)(A).

Please send proof of the accuracy dispute items above and a full validation as intended by the FDCPA . If proof of this debt can not be obtained and forwarded, I will assume there is no proof and will consider this matter with your company closed and expect removal of notations of this account to any and all credit reporting agencies to which you are currently reporting, as required by all disputes under the FCRA and FDCPA.

It is not convenient for you to contact me any time by phone. Please direct all correspondence to me via mail.

Sincerely,

jpeace121

1 Main St

Anywhere, USA

Thanks to everyone for the quick replies. While I'm principally opposed to sending these criminals money, my credit score is more important than my principals. Seems like a PFD is the way to go, considering johnnyt6's points about the costs involved with the CMRRRs.

So I'm assuming I just negotiate that with them on the phone? I should start with an offer of around 70% in exchange for the deletion? And I just need to make sure that I have them fax an agreement before sending payment? I'm assuming this agreement indicates that they will be removing the record once payment is received? I'm just worried about them following through, considering their lack of due diligence heretofore. If they don't follow through, can that agreement be presented to Experian to compel them to remove the record?

Finally, is it worth my time and energy to dispute the debt with them during the call, or to mouse at them for not sending me any notice whatsoever before dinging my credit report? Or is it better to just move right on to paying it and being done with it?

Thanks again, everyone.

STAY OFF THE PHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear RJM,

I know this is not my debt so I am offering you 12.50 as a settlement in return for the deletion of this account from (whoever it is reporting to), and that you never sell the remainder of this debt to another agency and consider this account closed.

Thnk you in advance,

Joe Blow

The reason I said 12.50 is because they only paid .30 for that debt, it cost them to report it to the CRA's, I wish I knew how much, but anyway, the 12.50 is not going to be a big profit, these companies thrive on unsuspecting people to make HUGE profits, that is how they stay in business.

Post-holiday bump. Any more thoughts on this would be welcome. I'll definitely avoid the phone. Any more thoughts on the style of the DV letter? I'm planning on sending something out by Thursday.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Had them on my reports 3 times. The first time they were sitting there for a while; Took about 60 days to get rid of them. The other two, I got rid of them with a 1-2 punch. They never have proof of anything. I would not pay them a dime. Send a DV with limited C&D

Last time I'll bump this before taking some action. Thanks again to everyone for your help with this. I'm going with the following 1-2 punch. I'll CMRRR the first letter to RJM, and upon notification of receipt will CMRRR the second to Experian. The first one will go out in the morning. Any final thoughts are welcome, and much appreciated.

One last question - is it better to use a physical address for RJM? I've got their PO box from their correspondence, and their physical address from the Experian report.

RJM Acquisitions LLC

PO Box 18006

Hauppauge, NY 11788-8806

Re RJM File #: xxxxxxxxxxxx

VIA CERTIFIED MAIL RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED

To Whom It May Concern:

I am in receipt of a recent credit report showing an entry by your company for account $xx.xx. I first became aware of this issue when I pulled my credit report. I had not received any correspondence or contact from you concerning this matter until I disputed the entry on my credit report with Experian. This letter serves as initial communication. This letter was a timely dispute of this alleged debt, therefore I demand all collection activity cease immediately.

This is not a refusal to pay, but a notice that your claim is disputed in full. .

More specifically, I am disputing the reporting of the following items to the credit reporting agencies:

- that this debt was incurred by myself

- the amount of $xx.xx is due your company

- that this alleged debt is payable to you

- the date of last activity reported by your company

- that you have the right to report lates on 5/08, 6/08, 8/08, 10/08, 11/08, 1/09, 2/09, 4/09, 5/09.

- I was never late to you on the above-mentioned dates (as I was not aware of the account with your company until 5/09)

As a data furnisher to credit reporting agencies, RJM Acqusitions LLC has an obligation to report and provide accurate information. The specific items disputed above (as notated by bullet points) are not accurate and I dispute your reporting of this information as allowed under 15USC1681s-2(8)(D). If you update this information as correct with the credit bureaus, I request that the supporting documentation be forwarded to me.

In each of the line items above, RJM Acquisitions is making false representation of this alleged debt, as defined in 15USC 1692e(2)(A).

Please send proof of the accuracy dispute items above and a full validation as intended by the FDCPA . If proof of this debt can not be obtained and forwarded, I will assume there is no proof and will consider this matter with your company closed and expect removal of notations of this account to any and all credit reporting agencies to which you are currently reporting, as required by all disputes under the FCRA and FDCPA.

Finally, please note that it is not convenient for you to contact me any time by phone. Please direct any and all correspondence to me via mail at the address below.

Sincerely,

jpeace121

address follows

Dear Experian,

address and dispute number follows,

VIA CERTIFIED MAIL, RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED

I am writing with regards to the negative item that currently appears on my credit report with Experian. This is an account with RJM Acquisitions LLC, file # XXXXX, concerning an account originally with Quality Paperback Book Club(QPBC). I never had a [acct type] with this [acct number] with QPBC that ordered the books listed on the correspondence from RJM Acquisitions. I never ordered, and do not own, any of the books that they allege that I ordered and did not pay for. I disputed this report with you previously, and your report indicated that this debt was verified. I do not believe this to be the case, so I am requesting that you reinvestigate this matter.

Upon conclusion of your reinvestigation, please provide the name of the person you contacted to verify this account and their contact information. Additionally, please inform me of the procedure you used to verify the account. Finally, please send a complete, updated report to me at my return address.

Thank you,

jpeace121

address follows

Sorry to bump this again, but this hasn't gone quite according to plan. I sent the letter to RJM no problem, and got the green card back. I send the letter to Experian the next day (June 9th). The problem is that the letter to Experian been delivered yet. Should it have taken this long? Is it sitting at the bottom of the PO Box? I'm trying to figure out if this is normal or not before I pursue it with the USPS. The negative is still on my CR.

Thanks for any help.

Just a bump to thank everyone for your help. Late this week, the item was pulled from my account by RJM. The 1-2 punch worked like a charm.

Thanks again to everyone for your advice and assistance. This had been causing lots of anxiety, and I'm glad to have it taken care of. Your help made that possible, and I really appreciate it.