Anybody got a non-embossed Visa/MC?

The last post in this topic was posted 4299 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

It's 2009. Last time I saw one of those clunky credit card imprinting gizmos is like 15 years ago. Why are our cards still embossed? I read somewhere that last year Visa announced that issuers now have the option of not embossing their cards. Does anyone have a non-embossed card???

I have had a couple of FBO's that still used the machines...in a few cases it was because their phone lines were down and in a few cases it was by choice since they didn't want to maintain a dedicated line for the autopmated stuff (I have flown into and out of a LOT of small airports).

I also had a local Office Depot that had to break out the machine within the past six months due to the City of Austin cutting a major cable that served their store.

Hell...we still use them at the CU as backup if the zon goes down...although it's not happened for a very long time.

I've also had my card imprinted at art fairs and other upscale "flea market" type venues (where vendors buy booth space).

Yeah I have a mini visa debit card to put on my key ring that is not embossed. Like I would attach it to my key ring. The bank sent me a regular sized one and a mini keyring one. I am leery about attaching it to my key ring, just seems a bit unnatural to me. I like all my cards in my wallet.

Having worked previously at several department and specialty stores, I can tell you that I've had to take physical imprints with that stupid giant ink machine MANY times. People often have warped, cracked, or scratched-up cards that won't swipe OR the stupid internet goes down for some reason and we have to take a physical imprint for the records.

Whenever we had to type in a customer's card number manually (those stupid keychain cards NEVER SWIPE properly!) the computer prompts for an imprint, and that's impossible with a "smooth" card. I got into big trouble at my first job (at a lower-middle-tier department store) for not embossing a card I couldn't swipe...it was one of those smooth keychain cards, all beat up. The managers were even confused about what to do!

Do they even still send out keychain cards? I haven't seen one in years.

It's 2009. Last time I saw one of those clunky credit card imprinting gizmos is like 15 years ago. Why are our cards still embossed? I read somewhere that last year Visa announced that issuers now have the option of not embossing their cards. Does anyone have a non-embossed card???

We use an imprinter when we manually type in a credit card number

We save our copy and give one to the customer

It proves the actual card was in the store

================================

It might be good to have no credit card number or name on the card then ASKING FOR STINKIN' ID WOULD FAIL

But you better have a back-up because if it won't read...we ain't gonna' take the card

I've also had my card imprinted at art fairs and other upscale "flea market" type venues (where vendors buy booth space).
Similar situations for me -- still encounter them sometimes at vendors who are at conferences and conventions who set up their sales areas in the rooms adjacent to the main convention venue spaces.

Easier and more reliable for them to bring some card purchase slip imprinters along for the cashiers' tables than to be dependent upon having an appropriate landline phone available for transmitting purchases from a card scanner or portable cash register.

I just remembered another occasion...and probably quite similar to some of the other venues described in the thread. In years past, there were Wine Fests in Austin where the phone lines were not working to the park where the booths were set up. The ONLY people making credit sales were those that had the foresight to bring the imprinter or who had managed to swing a share-deal with someone that had the imprinter. Even the ATM's on the premises were down because...the phone lines were messed up (lots of rain the day before that messed with all the temporary runs).

So, yes, there ARE reasons for the raised digits...and woe be the in-person merchant who DOES NOT have their card-swipy thing.

Similar situations for me -- still encounter them sometimes at vendors who are at conferences and conventions who set up their sales areas in the rooms adjacent to the main convention venue spaces.

Easier and more reliable for them to bring some card purchase slip imprinters along for the cashiers' tables than to be dependent upon having an appropriate landline phone available for transmitting purchases from a card scanner or portable cash register.

There are quite a few merchant account providers with CDMA and GSM wireless terminals now, they go for about $15/month. Discount rates from 1.09%+.19(no pin, debit) to 3.4%+.19(rewards cards+business).

Could save the merchant money in the long run, it isn't like they can make sure the card is still active by making a manual imprint of it.

Had our card imprinted at an auto paint supply store, this was after they swiped it through the POS machine. :mellow:

We only do that when we have to TYPE IN THE ACCOUNT NUMBER and EXPIRE DATE

I would question the need for both

Unless you are taslking about using an extra long receipt and the imprint is part of the receipt

Like JC PENNEYS does for catalog orders piced up at the store (or did)

FWIW, when we have Chinese food delivered to the house, the delivery guy takes an imprint of the card by holding my card behind a charge slip and, pinning them to the door jamb, runs a ball point pen back and forth over it.

Had our card imprinted at an auto paint supply store, this was after they swiped it through the POS machine. :lol:

We only do that when we have to TYPE IN THE ACCOUNT NUMBER and EXPIRE DATE

I would question the need for both

Unless you are taslking about using an extra long receipt and the imprint is part of the receipt

Like JC PENNEYS does for catalog orders piced up at the store (or did)

It was the old fashioned manual carbon copy slide and was used after the electronic computerized slide. They said it was for extra protection.

I had them give me the imprint with all the carbons and cancel the POS. I also told them that we would be watching the account closely as their behavior was that of fraudsters.

None of my store cards are embossed. Without the raised numbers and letters it almost "feels" like the cards are fake.

We've been used to embossed cards since the Charge-A-Plate days (before the carbon imprint machines were invented)

charge-plate-bloomingdales-1946.jpg

Back in the days where you had to put on your Sunday-best before you even thought about going downtown to the department store, when you paid "on account," if they didn't use the manual bookkeeping system with a real A/R ledger sitting on the counter, you had to go down to the Credit Department and get one of these little dog-plate looking Charge-A-Plate tags to open your account.

When they rang up your items at the register, the clerk used to take a carbon sheet like they used to use for typewriters, put the receipt on top, the Charge-A-Plate underneath and put it in the machine for it to go "CA-CHUNK" to stamp your name and address on the receipt so they could get you out the door quicker, and later on the ladies down in the Accounts Receivable dungeon could make out your bill.

(If that Bloomingdale's customer is still alive, she's probably 90 years old by now) :P

Yeah I've seen places that used them when the lines were down also.

Almost all the mom and pop gas stations around me use them exclusively. I guess the CC companies don't charge extra money to use them.

Only thing that sucks about the machines is that you can't put the receipt in your wallet. If you fold it up too many times or put it somewhere where it gets lots of movement, it "writes" stuff onto the carbon to the point it becomes almost illegible. But I love the "grace period" on the impact machines. The charges take forever to show up on your bill.

My late grandmother's accounting business had to accept credit cards because she was also an H&R Block franchise, so they sent her an impact machine and a bunch of carbons. But they way it worked for her is if someone paid for their income tax preparation with a credit card, she had to offset her royalty check by the amount on the credit card slips and mail the slips in every month to the district office. The DO had a Verifone machine where they'd take the impact receipts and actually phone them through so a bunch of offices were using the same Verifone terminal to save on fees.

That must mean anybody who paid my grandmother with VISA probably didn't see their charge for almost a month if they paid at the right time, plus the grace period and posting time == ~65-70 days before the bill is due.

I see you're in Philly. You call your orders in to WOK over in Rittenhouse (17th and Walnut)? :lol:

We must have the same exact Chinese takeout guy. He does the same thing.

What's funny is the girl who takes the order over the phone asks for the credit card information on the phone the first time you ever order from them and she puts it in the computer. But the takeout guys always make you take your card out and they rub the pen over the carbon slip anyway.

FWIW, when we have Chinese food delivered to the house, the delivery guy takes an imprint of the card by holding my card behind a charge slip and, pinning them to the door jamb, runs a ball point pen back and forth over it.

The last post in this topic was posted 4299 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.