Card Reccomendations

The last post in this topic was posted 4282 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Hello. Just discovered this site a week or two ago, and read a LOT here and at other similar sites. I would like to get at least one more credit card, as all I really have is one Visa basically.

I have had a Macy's card since the end of 2007 and a Chase Freedom Visa Signature since the begining of 2008. Both started at 500 and are now over 2k in limits.

No other lines, no bad things. Always PIF.

Going to try roll over 0 balance or <10% balance on Chase before any myFICO scores pulled. Always have PIF before but didn’t know to do it before statement dropped.

Latest hard inquiries: 1 late 2008, 1 mid 2009

Wish List:

• AMEX Blue Cash (I know, I know, but it’s SO PRETTY! The Clear one is nice but not as hypnotic…and no cash back…)

• Something from a prime/highly regarded bank with a HIGH CL that reports (no signature, charge cards, etc.)

• Something from a prime/highly regarded bank with a LOW APR% for a potential cash crunch

• Nordstrom Platinum Visa (Yeah I know I should probably convert/upgrade my Macy’s to Visa first, but…it's Nordstrom!)

Any reccomendations?

What the heck, since you only have two now and they are both about 1.5 years old, and your file is clean, I would apply for what you want. Go ahead and apply for the Blue Cash if that is what your heart desires. Do you buy gas? Groceries? Like cash back at the end of the month? I agree with hkbushido on the Penfed cash rewards. I also agree with Nordstrom Platinum. Those are three excellent cards. With a clean thin file you might be able to get them. I'd give it a shot.

Edited by Tyra

Thanks for the replies so far. Of course I'd love more people to join in! Come on people, speak up! :)

I should probably go through my year-end statement for my Chase Freedom and total up all of my gas/grocery/drug store spending to see if Blue Cash is worth it, huh? I do know that for gas I charged 2.3k, but the Visa Signature combines grocery and drug stores with ANY merchandise purchased almost ANYWHERE on the year-end statement. Just glancing through, it doesn't look like I'd hit the 6.5k or whatever bar they set unless I start grocery shopping more (as opposed to eating out). But it's sooooo pretty...I'd be totally annoyed if they gave me a three digit limit though!

One reason I am not sure about the Nordstrom Visa Platinum is because I've actually never bought anything at Nordy's before, though they are at my local mall. I've only shown love to Macy's so far because they did give me my first individual account and their generous auto-CLIs BUT they have a HORRIBLE selection of sizes in jeans and pants, even at my local higher-end Macy's (which has brand areas like Polo RL, unlike other nearby Macy's). So perhaps Nordy can be my suit destination? Would it look bad to have only one bank and two store cards? But then again, I've heard the Nordy card is a positive "prestige"-like symbol on your credit report, as their standards are high.

I'm considering some of BOA's rewards cards, but they all seem to be SO similar that it is very confusing deciding which one I should get!

I would love to find a prime bank (BOA or Citi?) that is generous with CLs and CLIs, because Chase is INCREDIBLY stingy and conservative (though I LOVE the generous cash back on Freedom) with my CL...but yeah, I know this is the wrong time to be asking for a big CL...

How long should I wait after my next Chase and Macy's statement cut (rolling over very low balance and both CLs increased this month) to request my fico?

I think Penfed is also a good one to shoot for, here's a couple more you might consider:

Schwab Invest First Visa - 2% cash back on all purchases deposited directly into a brokerage account

Alliant Credit Union - not great rewards, but lowish APR and just a great overall CU to belong to

As far as when to order your FICOs, I would use your free report or backdoor directly from the CRA, then once the info is up to date there then pull your scores. I'd stay away from AmEx unless you enjoy CLDs or account closure for no reason. Also, if you apply for Penfed, I'd apply for it FIRST so you don't get dinged for new accounts or inquiries.

Edited by kip
Thanks for the replies so far. Of course I'd love more people to join in! Come on people, speak up! :lol:

I should probably go through my year-end statement for my Chase Freedom and total up all of my gas/grocery/drug store spending to see if Blue Cash is worth it, huh? I do know that for gas I charged 2.3k, but the Visa Signature combines grocery and drug stores with ANY merchandise purchased almost ANYWHERE on the year-end statement. Just glancing through, it doesn't look like I'd hit the 6.5k or whatever bar they set unless I start grocery shopping more (as opposed to eating out). But it's sooooo pretty...I'd be totally annoyed if they gave me a three digit limit though!

One reason I am not sure about the Nordstrom Visa Platinum is because I've actually never bought anything at Nordy's before, though they are at my local mall. I've only shown love to Macy's so far because they did give me my first individual account and their generous auto-CLIs BUT they have a HORRIBLE selection of sizes in jeans and pants, even at my local higher-end Macy's (which has brand areas like Polo RL, unlike other nearby Macy's). So perhaps Nordy can be my suit destination? Would it look bad to have only one bank and two store cards? But then again, I've heard the Nordy card is a positive "prestige"-like symbol on your credit report, as their standards are high.

I'm considering some of BOA's rewards cards, but they all seem to be SO similar that it is very confusing deciding which one I should get!

I would love to find a prime bank (BOA or Citi?) that is generous with CLs and CLIs, because Chase is INCREDIBLY stingy and conservative (though I LOVE the generous cash back on Freedom) with my CL...but yeah, I know this is the wrong time to be asking for a big CL...

How long should I wait after my next Chase and Macy's statement cut (rolling over very low balance and both CLs increased this month) to request my fico?

Here is a little hint, don't go buying your FICO score every time there is a little change. I would not recommend any amex issued card.

-

BofA is quickly becoming subprime IMO. I believe their lowest rate on any new card is 10.24%.

Citi? That may be a good choice. The Citi Forward has 6k bonus thank you points when you spend $50 in 3 months+5k if you opt for paperless statements. 5 points per dollar on dining+movie theaters+ bookstores, 1 point per dollar on everything else. Also, 100 bonus points every time you pay on time and stay under the CL as well as a .25% APR reduction when you pay on time and stay under the CL 3 months in a row I believe.

Yes, I am biased slightly.

Hint: Amazon is a bookstore.

Edited by wcnghj

I'm a bit confused. You mention that your Chase Freedom card is a "Signature" card, but you also mention a limit around $2000.

First, i've never seen any Signature card product with a limit of less than $5000. Are you sure it's not the "regu;ar" Chase Freedom card ?

Second, Most "Signature" cards don't report the credit limit.........only the high balance, which, unless you maxed the card out at least once, won't do much for your utilization, since the only other card you have is the Macys card. In the current credit economy, have you considered sticking to apps for CU's for a while ? More stable, less AA, larger lines, etc. Nordstrom isn't anything more than a Department store who underwrites its own paper. As far as "prestige" goes, it's still just a department store. What are your current FICO scores ?

Looking at my recent EXP and TU CRs, it's definitely a Visa Signature card, says Visa Signature very plainly across the front just under the embossed numbers, does not report CL, and has at least one of the little "perks" (year-end statements). Don't know how I got it...

So do I have to worry about rolling over balances with my Chase then? I've also read it actually hurts you to roll over your balance because it adds it to your total balances without adding a CL, thus hurting utilization...there needs to be a handbook for these things (I've just realized that Signature was special a week ago!)...

I'm just not really interested in Credit Unions, and I definitely do not want to open any other types of accounts (i.e., savings, checkings, etc.). That'll make things too complicated for me IMHO. I don't even know what a brokerage account is (though I have an idea)!

Also, it is not my intent to go crazy filling out applications...even thought about waiting until my cards are age 2. I would be perfectly happy with just one or at the MOST two new cards. I do -not- want a lot of cards, and especially do not want any low CL cards. Hence me obsessing and researching the best card! :lol:

Only mentioned the Prestige thing cause there's a whole giant topic or two that says that higher-end department store cards in your CR are looked upon favorably and many say Nordstrom is seen as having higher standards (such as rejecting people for too many inquiries).

Haven't pulled my FICOs through myfico yet.

wcnghj: Someone else reccomended Citi Forward to me, it sounds interesting...I probably should check out the Credit Pulls section to see what kind of limit it gives...I do spend $$$ on Amazon, so I thought about the Amazon card but it's by Chase and they've already informed me that I have as much credit as they are willing/able to give me (grrrr...). I should go check whether Amazon gives me 3% cash back on my Freedom though...

Looking at my recent EXP and TU CRs, it's definitely a Visa Signature card, says Visa Signature very plainly across the front just under the embossed numbers, does not report CL, and has at least one of the little "perks" (year-end statements). Don't know how I got it...

So do I have to worry about rolling over balances with my Chase then? I've also read it actually hurts you to roll over your balance because it adds it to your total balances without adding a CL, thus hurting utilization...there needs to be a handbook for these things (I've just realized that Signature was special a week ago!)...

I'm just not really interested in Credit Unions, and I definitely do not want to open any other types of accounts (i.e., savings, checkings, etc.). That'll make things too complicated for me IMHO. I don't even know what a brokerage account is (though I have an idea)!

Also, it is not my intent to go crazy filling out applications...even thought about waiting until my cards are age 2. I would be perfectly happy with just one or at the MOST two new cards. I do -not- want a lot of cards, and especially do not want any low CL cards. Hence me obsessing and researching the best card! :(

Only mentioned the Prestige thing cause there's a whole giant topic or two that says that higher-end department store cards in your CR are looked upon favorably and many say Nordstrom is seen as having higher standards (such as rejecting people for too many inquiries).

Haven't pulled my FICOs through myfico yet.

wcnghj: Someone else reccomended Citi Forward to me, it sounds interesting...I probably should check out the Credit Pulls section to see what kind of limit it gives...I do spend $$$ on Amazon, so I thought about the Amazon card but it's by Chase and they've already informed me that I have as much credit as they are willing/able to give me (grrrr...). I should go check whether Amazon gives me 3% cash back on my Freedom though...

Based upon your response, I would have to respectfully defer to some of the more "experienced" members of CB.

I currently have only 6 of the Visa Signature cards, underwritten by 4 different banks, 2 of which were issued by Chase Bank. Perhaps some of the more seasoned members might be able to weigh in on this thread and share their views........

Edited by taxwizard
....to see if Blue Cash is worth it, huh? ... Just glancing through, it doesn't look like I'd hit the 6.5k or whatever bar they set... But it's sooooo pretty...

If you don't spend enough to make the Blue Cash a logical choice for your wallet in that you would obtain more cash back using your Chase Freedom for your purchases, you can still apply for it as a vanity card, in other words apply for it simply because you like the looks of it. If you don't spend that much rewards don't add up to all that much money anyway. You want to get the card you feel happy to carry around. If you like your Chase Freedom you should also take a look at the Citi Forward www.citiforward.com

One reason I am not sure about the Nordstrom Visa Platinum is because I've actually never bought anything at Nordy's before...

They would like to have you as a customer in the future. From how you have described yourself I would be surprised if your did not at least get the store card. Many have reported the store card being converted to a platinum after 6 months or so of usage.

I would love to find a prime bank (BOA or Citi?) that is generous with CLs and CLIs...

Most of the prime banks are in limit decreasing mode right now. You can see that in all the threads here about AMEX, Citi, Chase, and BOA CLD. Hard to find a prime bank that is generous at this point in time.

As soon as the change you are waiting for takes place on your reports.

Citi matched my high limit. Some say the only time amazon counts is when you order directly from amazon.

BOA's best is Accelerated Cash Rewards Amex 1.25% on everything no caps/tiers (beats Amex Blue Cash if you're not a heavy spender)

Citi: if you don't mind the Thank You Network, look into Citi Forward (restaurants, bookstores, music, movies are among 5 TY points bonus categories)

both BOA and Citi give soft pull CLIs every 3-6 mo IME

an odd one out Discover More for quarterly 5% promos but those have low max spending caps

Edited by nothingtolose

Was reading up on Discover More today. Sounds like a decent alternative to Blue Cash in that it's a rewards card from a reputable, conservative bank with supposed high standards. Doesn't look like they give you a large CL in the begining though...but they do have pretty Clear cards...

My Freedom is still at max strength for rewards (five 3% categories + 1% others + 200 for 250 check), so for now that's my main card...but I won't count on it staying like this.

Anyone else have an opinion on Discover More?

Was reading up on Discover More today. Sounds like a decent alternative to Blue Cash in that it's a rewards card from a reputable, conservative bank with supposed high standards. Doesn't look like they give you a large CL in the begining though...but they do have pretty Clear cards...

My Freedom is still at max strength for rewards (five 3% categories + 1% others + 200 for 250 check), so for now that's my main card...but I won't count on it staying like this.

Discover does soft pull CLIs IME

Downsides: low caps for quarterly promos, limited acceptance overseas

Otherwise a decent card to have for diversification JMHO

The Discover is a good card for people who just use the 5% bonus categories and have fun with those small rewards (It's best to get gift cards for a shop where you buy anyway, like a $25 Borders card for a $20 reward). Otherwise it's not that great. For me, it's some kind of toy card. Although I guess I'll use it for $600 this quarter (two promos).

And don't be fooled by those Clear cards. In reality, they don't look as pretty as on the pics, because there's the ugly signature strip and the opaque Discover logo, etc., behind it. They look pretty ugly compared to something like the Amex Blue. Then again, they have enough designs that look quite nice. And you can always get a different one, if you like.

And don't be fooled by those Clear cards. In reality, they don't look as pretty as on the pics, because there's the ugly signature strip and the opaque Discover logo, etc., behind it. They look pretty ugly compared to something like the Amex Blue. Then again, they have enough designs that look quite nice. And you can always get a different one, if you like.

Can I be frank? What a given credit card looks like should be number ten thousand on your list of reasons why you would want to have that card.

Seriously, a credit card is something that spends most of its life in your purse/wallet/pocket and not on your living room wall. Besides which, regardless of how they might look, their cosmetic appearance does not alter the fact that they are all slivers of plastic.

In times like these, a shrewd consumer is going to pay attention to what a given card will do for them in terms of things like rewards/cash back/cardholder services. If you decide what card to get based largely on its cosmetic appearance, it's only fair to point out that you are playing right into the hands of the card companies. Companies that spend a great deal of money trying to convince you that their particular scrap of plastic is The New Shiny. Please do not allow yourself to be fooled and make the choice to shop with your brains rather than with your eyeballs.

/steps off soapbox

I would never open a CC just because it looked good. :D My primary/everyday use card has to have an excellent unlimited cash back program, which right now is my Chase. I expect any supplementary cards to also provide me excellent benefits, whether it be super rewards, low APR, high CL, or generous CLIs without smacking me with hard inquiries (Macy's, unlike Chase, likes to increase my CL!).

Discover More is looking like a better alternative to AMEX the more I read about it. Citi Forward also in the running. Nordstrom is out for now. I wish there was a list of excellent customer service cards (U.S.-based call center reps would be a big selling point in my book).

I'm really nervous about pulling my first FICO (which will be Equifax)...how long after a statement cuts does it take to appear? I hope that to see a really nice score, especially considering my new Macy's limit...

(Oh, and thanks to everyone so far for contributing to this thread! :wub: )

What the heck, since you only have two now and they are both about 1.5 years old, and your file is clean, I would apply for what you want. Go ahead and apply for the Blue Cash if that is what your heart desires. Do you buy gas? Groceries? Like cash back at the end of the month? I agree with hkbushido on the Penfed cash rewards. I also agree with Nordstrom Platinum. Those are three excellent cards. With a clean thin file you might be able to get them. I'd give it a shot.

Don't apply for blue cash. You will get rejected. I got rejected long time ago when my file was so similar to yours. The reason wa insufficient history (1.5 year is not enough for Blue Cash

Don't apply for blue cash. You will get rejected. I got rejected long time ago when my file was so similar to yours. The reason wa insufficient history (1.5 year is not enough for Blue Cash

OP,

By the way, AMEX doesn't use FICO at all

The last post in this topic was posted 4282 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.