Do NOT participate in AMEX Oasis program...

The last post in this topic was posted 4178 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Hello,

I am new to this forum, but am writing to advise you not to participate in the American Express Oasis program as you will most likely not receive the card the promise you. I received a letter offer to "regain card membership" by paying off a past due balance from approx 9 years ago. Please note that despite what they tell you over the phone, the phone number in the letter 8877-354-8148 is NOT AMERICAN EXPRESS. They will lie to you and tell you they are American Express, but if you simply call American Express and ask them---you will find out the truth.

After calling you may deal with some aggressive collection tactics such as: "Well, if you don't make payment today this file will leave our office & you will be out of luck" No joke, I called the day I received my letter. And let me tell you, the return address is American Express & it says Opportunity to Gain Cardmembership on the outside. Anyway, I called the same day & the person I spoke to said my deadline was today.

Anyways.....Arghhhh............I paid off my balance & no card. You will not receive it. Even though the letter clearly states you will as long as there was no bankruptcy. Doesnt matter, your out of luck, save your money.

Do not participate in this program!!

Sorry that this is your experience, but I am currently in the program, having paid my full balance to Amex via their internal collection department (NCO). I have an Optima card issued a few months ago and it reports as being opened in 2003- which was when I opened the account that defaulted.

NCO handles the rehab program, then the rehab card is issued by Amex.

Many of us have had success with this program. YMMV.

Had to post for your chosen username, could be a new saying. Don't AMEX me!!!!! LOL.

Kinda like that video of the dude screaming, Don't tase me bro!!!! As the cops lit him up with the taser gun.

Now all we need is a video of someone officially getting AMEXED, screaming please don't amex me bro!!!!

Sorry, long boring day at work today.

Edited by frunk24
Anyways.....Arghhhh............I paid off my balance & no card. You will not receive it. Even though the letter clearly states you will as long as there was no bankruptcy. Doesnt matter, your out of luck, save your money.

Do not participate in this program!!

All you have to do is call up the people you paid and tell them they forgot to send you the app for the Optima card. You can still get it if you want it.

This is a very deceiving tactic to collect old debt, am a little suprised no one is suing them (yet).

Sue them for what? It spells everything out pretty clear in the letter that you get. At the bottom of the letter it even says "This is an effort to collect a debt." The only deception is the phone person says they work for AMEX when they work for the collection agency.

The bottom line is that this program has worked out well for many posters. Read all the old threads about it. It is a sweet deal if you have an old charge-off for a small amount and you need to add some age to your file. Or if you are going to get a job where they are going to apply for a corporate amex for you.

Edited by Tyra
Sorry that this is your experience, but I am currently in the program, having paid my full balance to Amex via their internal collection department (NCO). I have an Optima card issued a few months ago and it reports as being opened in 2003- which was when I opened the account that defaulted.

do you know the affect on your FICO?

do you know the affect on your FICO?

Unfortunately not as I haven't pulled Fico in quite a while. But my fakos have been slowly rising...

Edited to add that I have a few older positive tradelines, so...was told (here) that it might not result in a huge score jump.

Edited by havepeace
This is a very deceiving tactic to collect old debt, am a little suprised no one is suing them (yet).

Sue them for what? It spells everything out pretty clear in the letter that you get. At the bottom of the letter it even says "This is an effort to collect a debt." The only deception is the phone person says they work for AMEX when they work for the collection agency.

The bottom line is that this program has worked out well for many posters. Read all the old threads about it. It is a sweet deal if you have an old charge-off for a small amount and you need to add some age to your file. Or if you are going to get a job where they are going to apply for a corporate amex for you.

I found this from an old post.

I don't think the OP misunderstood it as a reinstatement, this clearly indicates invite for Optima card.

So they basically delude the OP into thinking that he or she has been singled out to participate into a special cardmembership arrangement. OP was reassured of the arrangement by listing of the specific terms (there is NO "YMMV" here IMO). Further am sure they made it look apparently official American Express letter, however this arrangement is really handled by a separate independent "collection" entity. This letter "arranged" for a meeting of the OP with a third party collector, but the OP believed he/she was really dealing with the OC. I am not 100% of the law but this sure sounds like a dishonest practice is going on here.

American Express

PO Box 360001

FT Lauderdale FL 33336-0001

RE:**********

Dear xyz,

Regain Cardmembership

As a previous American Express® Cardmember, we value our relationship. As such, we would like to offer you the opportunity to regain Cardmembership and potentially improve your standing with American Express. You have been selected for a special offer to receive an Optima Card application from American Express if you pay your past-due American Express® account balances in full. Your application for a new Optima Card will be approved unless you have filed for bankruptcy, do not make the payment required, or have an existing open American Express Credit or Charge Card relationship.

Variable APR, $35 Annual Fee

The Optima Card comes with an APR of Prime Rate + 14.99%, currently 22.49% as of February 15, 2006 and a $35 Annual Fee. The Optima Card allows you the flexibility to pay your account in full or make a minimum payment -- the choice is yours each month.

American Express Convenience and Service

The Optima Card is accepted everywhere American Express is welcome -- by millions of merchants worldwide. With the Optima Card, you will also receive the exceptional Customer Service and benefits you have come to expect from American Express.

Limited Time Offer -- Call 1-877-354-8148

This offer is for a limited time, so you must act immediately. Please call 1-877-354-8148 to arrange for payment of your account and have the pre-qualified Optima Card application sent to you. The faster you respond, the sooner you can begin to use and enjoy your Optima Card. This communication is an attempt to collect a debt.

Sincerly,

M. Ghazavi

Director of Collections

P.S. This is a great opportunity to regain Cardmembership. Don't let this chance slip by -- CALL TODAY!

Yup, that's the letter, and that's exactly how it plays out for most. I can see where you say it is deceptive that you think you are dealing directly with AMEX, but most who get the letter never know the difference and everything works out fine for them. They pay and they get the application for the Optima card. If a person pays and does not get the guaranteed application they need to call. Other posters have reported doing that.

From what I get out of the letter...BK is the only reason you won't get the card (or don't PAY AS AGREED)

Unless I missed something

It is a CONTRACT (as I keep on saying)

Edited by GEORGE

Hi,

Just a quick, today is DAY 100 since my payment was cleared & I have still not received the appli8cation. Another call to the collections office that handles thos for Amex & they politely told me that they had requested an app to be sent several times over the past several months, but HAVE NO CONTROL OVER IF AMEX WILL SEND SEND IT. When I explained to them what the letter stated (and it is the exact same letter posted on this forum) they told me there is a chance I will not be receiving the application or the card The woman was very nice on the phone though.

• 4 months later...
Hi,

Just a quick, today is DAY 100 since my payment was cleared & I have still not received the appli8cation. Another call to the collections office that handles thos for Amex & they politely told me that they had requested an app to be sent several times over the past several months, but HAVE NO CONTROL OVER IF AMEX WILL SEND SEND IT. When I explained to them what the letter stated (and it is the exact same letter posted on this forum) they told me there is a chance I will not be receiving the application or the card The woman was very nice on the phone though.

Okay the mixed feedback on this Optima Card/Oasis program is making me nervous. Does anyone know the phone number for Amex’s internal collection department (NCO)? I’d rather deal with them directly than dealing with the collection agency that is listed on my letter “Nation Wide Credit.†Any updates from the OP?

It's been my understanding that, legally, Amex cannot guarantee a card as condition of payment. Judging from posts that I've read about this program over the last few years it seems that it works as expected more often than not, but it also seems there are times where it doesn't.

Personally, also based on other Amex behavior patterns of late, I would not trust them without a guarantee. At least not right now.

Of course, 'tis a moot point for me as I BK'd them.

It's been my understanding that, legally, Amex cannot guarantee a card as condition of payment. Judging from posts that I've read about this program over the last few years it seems that it works as expected more often than not, but it also seems there are times where it doesn't.

I can't recall anyone who responded to the Oasis letter who did not eventually get an Optima card. Some have posted that they did not receive the application as soon as expected after paying in full but then if they called and pursued it like the OP they always end up getting a card. Some of the apps do not appear to be mailed in a timely manner as some posters get them in a couple of weeks, some in a couple months, and some have to call in and ask "where's my app?" but they always get them eventually if they persist.

I can't recall anyone who responded to the Oasis letter who did not eventually get an Optima card. Some have posted that they did not receive the application as soon as expected after paying in full but then if they called and pursued it like the OP they always end up getting a card. Some of the apps do not appear to be mailed in a timely manner as some posters get them in a couple of weeks, some in a couple months, and some have to call in and ask "where's my app?" but they always get them eventually if they persist.

THE AMEX OPTIMA PROGRAM IS A CONTRACT

PAY THE DEBT--->THEY THROW YOU A COOKIE (the card)

The last post in this topic was posted 4178 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.