Sign in to follow this  
LadyRelm2

Repairing OTHER people's credit

I've just been reading through some older posts and saw 2 or 3 where a CB'er was mentioning helping others with fixing their credit.

Obviously, helping others with the knowledge you've gained on this board or through your own struggle is a testament to your character and charity. I applaud you for helping! :ph34r: Just as I also give unending adoration & respect to the owners of CB. :ph34r:

I, too, have helped A LOT of people with their credit. I gave a speech at Toastmasters once about 2 years ago on credit. Since then, I got calls & letters from dozens of people begging for my help. Word of mouth can be viral. :ph34r: I have helped anyone who has come to me - FREE OF CHARGE. Also directed every one of them to this board.

But before I help them begin their journey, I am very very clear on one very important point - THEY MUST BE THE ONE WHO DOES THE WORK OF CLEANING UP THEIR CREDIT. I can give them all the direction in the world, but I make THEM write the letters, pull the reports, track the dates, etc... I do this for 2 very imporant reasons -

1. If they are the ones doing the work, then it is much more unlikely that I could be deemed a "credit repair organization" which has a whole other set of laws attached to it. Also helps that I don't collect money for my "services." :ph34r:

2. A much more important point (for me) than point #1 - someone who has invested actually time, money, blood, sweat, and tears over fixing their own credit is much less likely to let it go to hell-in-a-handbasket again.

Most people do not end up in financial or credit trouble from simply being irresponsible. Some do...but not most. Most have had some life-changing event such as - medical illness, divorce, job loss, etc... While I understand this fact and treat them with compassion, it still comes down to the whole concept of teaching someone to fish rather then just giving them food. :ph34r:

You can lead a horse to water, but.....

I too helped someone very close to me, but that person clearly did not appreciate the work, the focused effort, the attention to detail, and the time. As a result, that person no longer gets any help from me.

My mistake.....

I've just been reading through some older posts and saw 2 or 3 where a CB'er was mentioning helping others with fixing their credit.

Obviously, helping others with the knowledge you've gained on this board or through your own struggle is a testament to your character and charity. I applaud you for helping! :ph34r: Just as I also give unending adoration & respect to the owners of CB. :)

I, too, have helped A LOT of people with their credit. I gave a speech at Toastmasters once about 2 years ago on credit. Since then, I got calls & letters from dozens of people begging for my help. Word of mouth can be viral. :grin: I have helped anyone who has come to me - FREE OF CHARGE. Also directed every one of them to this board.

But before I help them begin their journey, I am very very clear on one very important point - THEY MUST BE THE ONE WHO DOES THE WORK OF CLEANING UP THEIR CREDIT. I can give them all the direction in the world, but I make THEM write the letters, pull the reports, track the dates, etc... I do this for 2 very imporant reasons -

1. If they are the ones doing the work, then it is much more unlikely that I could be deemed a "credit repair organization" which has a whole other set of laws attached to it. Also helps that I don't collect money for my "services." ;)

2. A much more important point (for me) than point #1 - someone who has invested actually time, money, blood, sweat, and tears over fixing their own credit is much less likely to let it go to hell-in-a-handbasket again.

Most people do not end up in financial or credit trouble from simply being irresponsible. Some do...but not most. Most have had some life-changing event such as - medical illness, divorce, job loss, etc... While I understand this fact and treat them with compassion, it still comes down to the whole concept of teaching someone to fish rather then just giving them food. :grin:

+1 :)

You can lead a horse to water, but.....

I too helped someone very close to me, but that person clearly did not appreciate the work, the focused effort, the attention to detail, and the time. As a result, that person no longer gets any help from me.

My mistake.....

I know the feeling!

Like Lady Relm I think it is important for them to be a part of the process, so it doesn't seem like "Magic" that you can easily do again when they smuck it up next time!

It can be frustrating to help others especially when you see that with a little work they could "Fix" their credit much easier than you fixed your own jacked up credit!!!

like u said Op, anyone who has to fix their own credit will NEVER let it get bad again

it took me 4 years ot get new credit

ill never let it get bad again

but im not going to lie

ive used lex law....and ive thought about letting others do the work for me

but truth is only YOU will put your heart into fixing your life and credit

I have currently been helping one of my brothers fix a few things in order to do a re-fi on his home. I have made him do all the leg work, write all of the letters and I also printed off FDCA and FCRA along with Phsydocs seminars and had him read them as well. I do believe after going through this process a few years back, it makes a big difference when you have to focus on the details, do the work and realize that it can take a while to fix. I believe that he will appreciate having done the work.