Verbal faux pauxs that annoy you?

The last post in this topic was posted 4384 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Er...quotation marks....

It depends on what the sentence says and how the quoted material is used. I thought that was pretty much universal.

1. She said "Get away!"

2. I can't believe she said "Get away"!

3. John asked "Who's there?"

4. Did John ask "Who's there"?

The only time it is really optional as to where the ending punctuation is placed (English vs American) is if both the sentence and the quotation would end with a period.

At least that is what they taught us in school some 30-40 years ago. (In Florida)

2 and 4 are wrong. I think that 2 can be considered correct if a comma is placed after the word "said."

No they aren't, they are correct. In number 2, the exclamation is being given by the writer, not the the person being quoted. In number 4, the writer is asking the question.

I guess it could be argued that in number 4's case, both are asking questions. So either could be correct.

So let's change number 4 to:

Did John just say "I quit"?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It will be interesting to see what the effect of the internet and social networking sites like Twitter will be...people verbalizing textisms like lol,lmao, BRB...just seems weird

GAH!!

People I know now do this. It makes my ears hurt :lol:

I'm running to the store, brb.

She's crazy, and I was like wtf!

gah!!!

I do use those....................

But I refuse to use 2 for to, too, or two or 4 for four or for

Or u for you or ur for you are

Etc. etc. etc.

(In my defense I use shortcuts when I talk too. I have a lot to say :lol: )

Wait - do you do this in texting, or while speaking?!

These people say these things, out loud :lol:

No, I abbreviate.

Like the kids are "A" and "H"

NM......

I appear to be single-handedly destroying the universe.

:lol:

Er...quotation marks....

It depends on what the sentence says and how the quoted material is used. I thought that was pretty much universal.

1. She said "Get away!"

2. I can't believe she said "Get away"!

3. John asked "Who's there?"

4. Did John ask "Who's there"?

The only time it is really optional as to where the ending punctuation is placed (English vs American) is if both the sentence and the quotation would end with a period.

At least that is what they taught us in school some 30-40 years ago. (In Florida)

2 and 4 are wrong. I think that 2 can be considered correct if a comma is placed after the word "said."

No they aren't, they are correct. In number 2, the exclamation is being given by the writer, not the the person being quoted. In number 4, the writer is asking the question.

I guess it could be argued that in number 4's case, both are asking questions. So either could be correct.

So let's change number 4 to:

Did John just say "I quit"?

No, either would not be correct. 4, as you have written it, is wrong.

Rule 3. When you have a question outside quoted material AND inside quoted material, use only one question mark and place it inside the

quotation mark.

Example: Did she say, "May I go?"

http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

And, if you'd look, you'll see that I said 2 can be correct dependent on what the exclamation point indicates.

Oh. My. God. That is horrendous, Stryker.

I'm having an internal debate. Should that read "writers' workshop" or "writer's workshop"? Because it's a workshop for writers, correct? But could you argue that it is a workshop for "The Writer" ? Capitalization on purpose, if you get my meaning.

Edited by Ladybug

I'm having an internal debate. Should that read "writers' workshop" or "writer's workshop"? Because it's a workshop for writers, correct? But could you argue that it is a workshop for "The Writer" ? Capitalization on purpose, if you get my meaning.

Finally... someone who thinks things through. I am not weird... <_<

I would have probably used writers' workshop.

Finally... someone who thinks things through. I am not weird... :o

I would have probably used writers' workshop.

No, I think it just means we are both weird :lol:

I would have used writers' as well. It wouldn't have occured to me to do it the other way, but flouting of grammar rules for emphasis is something I can accept (and frequently use myself) so I wondered if maybe that was the case with the "writer's" choice. I'm probably over thinking given the incorrect use of the word "your." <_<

I've actually taken notes the teacher sent home, proofread them with a red pen, then sent them back with corrections.

It infuriates me that the person I am entrusting my child to learn from is incompetent.

The school knows how I feel. I think that's why they don't like me all that much. LOL

Okay... so I m not being overly mean by sending them a note with the corrections? I dearly want to...

The way I figured, I was providing free educational services and tutoring. I may bill them the next time it happens.

The teacher no longer sends me notes. :(

• Admin
CASH MONEY

???????

LMAO

Hege: ya prolly owe me a new puter monitor, I near think I broke both my toofs cause I ain't never laffed so hard.

I am taking your honey away. And your ham. Shame on you! LOL

LOL, I just had to do that.

It were da debil inside me :dntknw:

:rofl:

I've actually taken notes the teacher sent home, proofread them with a red pen, then sent them back with corrections.

It infuriates me that the person I am entrusting my child to learn from is incompetent.

The school knows how I feel. I think that's why they don't like me all that much. LOL

I bet you've been mentioned a time or two in the staff break room. :rofl:

I bet you've been mentioned a time or two in the staff break room. :D

I can guarantee it.

Any time I have to go to the school for a parent/teacher conference, the principal is present for it EVERY TIME. How many of you have had a parent/teacher conference that involved the principal? Every time? :D

The last post in this topic was posted 4384 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.