Where do you live and why?

The last post in this topic was posted 4384 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

California has a home with your name on it. Don't worry about the prices, your job will pay more out here.

:)

So is that why people are abandoning CA in droves?! Because they don't worry about prices?? :lol:

It's because it's hard to find a job these days... But if you can find one, it's good livin out here. I've been to Texas before and I could never leave CA for TX.. The landscape is way too flat for my taste, and the humidity really sucks. Of course I'm totally biased, but then again so are you :P

Nah, I don't really care for where I live. I love Texas, but not Houston. I don't like flat land - I prefer the gentle rolling of the Hill Country. But I stay here because my aging parents are here. My children also keep me tied here for the time being. And my job. But in the future I fully intend to get out of Houston. I'm sure we'll stay in Texas, but not around here.

As for the job issue - people were leaving CA for many years before the economic downturn, and not because of the lack of jobs. It was because most folks couldn't afford to buy a house there.

Minnesota born and raised. I love where I live, demographically speaking. We are in a SMALL town (<5000 people) about 30 minutes outside of Minneapolis. I know everybody on my street, the schools are excellent (same ones DH and I went to), it's almost in the country but we have easy access to "the big city" - art, sports, music, theater, shopping etc. etc. etc. Home prices are reasonable, taxes are low (comparatively). But the winters - ugh. I don't mind snow so much - that's what attached garages and snowblowers are for - but I want to live somewhere where 20 degrees is really cold. :)

California has a home with your name on it. Don't worry about the prices, your job will pay more out here.

So is that why people are abandoning CA in droves?! Because they don't worry about prices?? :lol:

I'm one of those who left California. I moved to Atlanta, GA almost a year ago, and I miss CA terribly!!!! We left for "quality of life" reasons. We wanted to purchase a nice house, in a nice area, cut down our commute and have the same disposable income (if not more).

Well, our salaries are comparable to what we took home in Cali, we purchased a beautifully built home (new build) and we have cut down on our traveling time and distance to work --- BUT, I am still a Californian at heart and it is tough adjusting to the people, food, politics, weather, and everything else in Atlanta.

Good luck in your search -- just as an aside, coming from NY, you do not want to move to KY (I lived there for about 2 years) -- if you want a progressive community, I would by-pass - of course, if you don't mind, pegged jeans and sweatshirts -- be my guest! lol :P

It's because it's hard to find a job these days... But if you can find one, it's good livin out here. I've been to Texas before and I could never leave CA for TX.. The landscape is way too flat for my taste, and the humidity really sucks. Of course I'm totally biased, but then again so are you :P

I'm not biased. I'd certainly move to San Fran in a heartbeat if price/cost were not an issue. I just refuse at this point in my life, to give up my standard of living to move somewhere...

Come on down to the desert, cotter. You won't believe how cheap it is to live, and I know a great babysitter for Anna. ;)

can I come?

I could totally live in the Desert

You need a babysitter?!

I don't need a babysitter. I could be a babysitter maybe. I'm just a big kid anyway.

I have most of the Disney movies on dvd. ;)

Come on down to the desert, cotter. You won't believe how cheap it is to live, and I know a great babysitter for Anna. ;)

can I come?

You need a babysitter?!

I don't need a babysitter. I could be a babysitter maybe. I'm just a big kid anyway.

Rookie.

Come on down to the desert, cotter. You won't believe how cheap it is to live, and I know a great babysitter for Anna. :lol:

can I come?

You need a babysitter?!

Rookie.

I used to have them all. Then I got rid of a few that I never watched during one of my "declutter" phases. ;)

Come on down to the desert, cotter. You won't believe how cheap it is to live, and I know a great babysitter for Anna. :lol:

can I come?

You need a babysitter?!

I have most of the Disney movies on dvd. :lol:

Rookie.

I used to have them all. Then I got rid of a few that I never watched during one of my "declutter" phases. :lol:

In your defense I got rid of ALL of mine on VHS. Rebuilding via DVD is costly. And I cannot figure out is why Ariel does NOT want "The Emperor's New Groove" ;) ;)

And I cannot WAIT for Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King to come out on DVD...

Idaho, because dh loves it here.

I dont mind it either, all our family (both sides) are close and where we live the crime is very low and the town/city isnt huge.

ETA: sorry the Islanders had a such a hard year, wasnt Deptrio (sp sorry) out for most of it?

Edited by mdw2006
In your defense I got rid of ALL of mine on VHS. Rebuilding via DVD is costly. And I cannot figure out is why Ariel does NOT want "The Emperor's New Groove" :blink: ;)

And I cannot WAIT for Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King to come out on DVD...

Wha?! That's is a hella good movie!

Something's wrong with that kid. ;)

can I come?

You need a babysitter?!

Rookie.

I used to have them all. Then I got rid of a few that I never watched during one of my "declutter" phases. :lol:

In your defense I got rid of ALL of mine on VHS. Rebuilding via DVD is costly. And I cannot figure out is why Ariel does NOT want "The Emperor's New Groove" :grin::lol:

B&B, Aladdin and LK have all been on dvd already. :lol:

At one point I even had "The Black Cauldron". I think I maybe watched that one time. Some of them aren't as good as others.

Of course, you know, now that you have them on DVD, you will have to replace them all with Blu-Ray. :rofl:

can I come?

You need a babysitter?!

Rookie.

In your defense I got rid of ALL of mine on VHS. Rebuilding via DVD is costly. And I cannot figure out is why Ariel does NOT want "The Emperor's New Groove" :grin::lol:

B&B, Aladdin and LK have all been on dvd already. ;)

At one point I even had "The Black Cauldron". I think I maybe watched that one time. Some of them aren't as good as others.

Of course, you know, now that you have them on DVD, you will have to replace them all with Blu-Ray. :lol:

When??? When???????????????????????????????????? I've been looking for those for a good few years now... guess I'll have to wait for them to come out of the vault. AFAIK, we are coming up on 15 year anniversary of Lion King :rofl: so they should be releasing probably this winter...

I agree, some are not as good as others. I'm a sucker for them... LOL

I have lived all over the Country, West Coast, East Coast, Mid-West, etc,etc,etc. I just like the Midwest the best, very low cost of living, You have all 4 season's, I have over 13, million people that live within an hour from here. Many fun places to go year round, very low taxes, very nice and Cheap homes, very nice schools, many a college's, Lake Erie Islands with sandy beaches, and best of all Down to Earth people that are not stuck up or clueless to life. Two major airports within 30 mins, A great night life not sure what else most people would need or want.

JUST MY 2 CENTS :angry::mellow:

When??? When???????????????????????????????????? I've been looking for those for a good few years now... guess I'll have to wait for them to come out of the vault. AFAIK, we are coming up on 15 year anniversary of Lion King :unsure: so they should be releasing probably this winter...

I agree, some are not as good as others. I'm a sucker for them... LOL

I know you can get them all on Half.com and Ebay for pretty cheap...if you don't want to wait for the re-release.

:unsure:

Oh and FWIW, I watched my vhs version of Aladdin with Anna last night. She liked the whole five minutes (cumulative total) she watched. Who said having kids doesn't have it's benes? :lol:

Drew... midwest where?

Born and raised in San Antonio and currently live it Fort Worth. While I would definately stay out of Dallas proper, I would live in just about any of the little cities in the metroplex. I like it up here a LOT better than San Antonio. :unsure:

My electric bills run about $100 year round for a 2K sqft house. I don't keep things cold though, and I have gas connections as well....

Come on down to the desert, cotter. You won't believe how cheap it is to live, and I know a great babysitter for Anna. :good:

:good:

Oh and FWIW, I watched my vhs version of Aladdin with Anna last night. She liked the whole five minutes (cumulative total) she watched. Who said having kids doesn't have it's benes? :good:

Drew... midwest where?

Toledo, Ohio area

Cotterpin -

I have officially quit recommending for people to move here to the Charlotte area. :good: Do you have any idea how hard it is to find someone actually from Charlotte? :good: I only know of two people that were born and raised here.

Some people have started referring to it as 'Little New York" because of all the NY'ers that have moved here. It's nothing like NY though, so don't take that "description" to heart.

I really do like it here, and intend on keeping our house here at least until DS graduates High School in 13'ish years.

Sadly, Dh and I are looking at acreage outside of the state due to the ridiculous pricing for Mountain property here in NC now. I can buy 100 acres in KY, AK or TN for what it costs here for 1-5 acres in NC. :good:

If you truly are considering the Charlotte area, I'd recommend looking at Union, and Carrabas counties, as the property taxes are half of what ours (Charlotte- Mecklenburg's) are. A lot of where you decide to look will depend on where you end up working too. Traffic can be a bit of a bother here on the South side, but you'll want to avoid West, East, and North-Western Char-Meck due to crime. Anything else is pretty decent, imho. South Meck, Union, and Carrabus have the better public schools.

Crapola, here I go making recommendations again... :good:

Edited by Nemeweh

Atlanta, because I like it and it likes me and has a cummunity for EVERY stage of my life. I might not stay here forever, but I have no problems with the idea of that happening. Cost of living is not even a driver...when I want somethng, I just hustle harder...and I'd do that in any city I live in. <_<

The last post in this topic was posted 4384 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.