Sign in to follow this  
lorcan

Screwed up, HSBC Saks World Elite MC...

Don't some retail stores with store cards allow you to make a store card payment at the register with a debit card ? I'm just throwing that out there as an alternative to making an instore payment with a check if you don't want to bring a bunch of cash with you for your instore payment.

It was not a question of not wanting to make the payment in cash. They only accept the payment for the MC if you pay by check.

:wacko: That's frustrating. I didn't know there were any retail stores out there where you couldn't make a cash payment for your retail card.

Again, it is not the retail card. It was the Mastercard.

It was definitely their fault. Saks stock price is in the toilet, maybe they should get a clue about customer service and a new card issuer. I don't like HSBC either as they're the issuer for my Neimans Marcus card. The customer service for NM is not very good in IMO, though I love their apparel. Nordstrom customer service rocks!

You are correct about Nordstrom! It occurs to me that I pay my Nordstrom Visa in store all the time and I never had any problem whatsoever. My APR with Nordstrom is 7.9% and Saks is 17.9%. Which one would you choose to use?

Don't some retail stores with store cards allow you to make a store card payment at the register with a debit card ? I'm just throwing that out there as an alternative to making an instore payment with a check if you don't want to bring a bunch of cash with you for your instore payment.

It was not a question of not wanting to make the payment in cash. They only accept the payment for the MC if you pay by check.

:) That's frustrating. I didn't know there were any retail stores out there where you couldn't make a cash payment for your retail card.

I didn't realize until now that you were misunderstanding me. In my posts, by "retail card" I was lumping two kinds of cards together -- a store's charge card and a store's mastercard/visa version of the store card. Besides, as far as making instore payments, why would it have made any difference if I had been speaking about retail charge cards ? It wouldn't make any sense for a store to have a type of instore payment that is allowed for the MC/Visa store card that is disallowed for the store charge card and vice versa.

So, to go back to my earlier post, I was saying that to avoid another repeat of this whole mess of paying instore by check, it could be worthwhile to see if Saks will allow instore payment of your Saks Mastercard by debit card.

Edited by persevering

:lol: That's frustrating. I didn't know there were any retail stores out there where you couldn't make a cash payment for your retail card.

I didn't realize until now that you were misunderstanding me. In my posts, by "retail card" I was lumping two kinds of cards together -- a store's charge card and a store's mastercard/visa version of the store card. Besides, as far as making instore payments, why would it have made any difference if I had been speaking about retail charge cards ? It wouldn't make any sense for a store to have a type of instore payment that is allowed for the MC/Visa store card that is disallowed for the store charge card and vice versa.

So, to go back to my earlier post, I was saying that to avoid another repeat of this whole mess of paying instore by check, it could be worthwhile to see if Saks will allow instore payment of your Saks Mastercard by debit card.

And what I was saying is that they do not allow it to be paid in store by debit card, only by check.

As I said in my last post, Nordstrom allows me to pay my Nordstrom Visa in store by any means, cash or check. HSBC is the problem as they have complicated rules which is another reason I will not use them in the future.

That sucks, lorcan.

I've had no trouble with customer service on the benes side, or the account side ~ but then I pay exclusively online so there is little human intervention. Even if you do decide to not use the card, don't avoid shopping at SAKS because of their partnership with hsbc. Not all retail card services can have the extraordinary service of Nordstroms. they should all provide service and rewards like that. But unfortunately they do not.

I'm a shopper of Neimans as well. But I choose not to have the card because use of my AMEX Plat there earns me good rewards. The Neimans card isn't worth having a store only card (I don't want one of those)

So, it's about what suits your needs. If you're pissed off too much right now at hsbc then use another rewards card there but don't avoid the store. Better yet - make another attempt at resolving the payment posting issue...

I don't argue with what was said here, but that doesn't assuage the fact that the account holder is ultimately responsible for the account what happens to it.

Nobody needs to sit here and be babysat. There's a vehicle I explained earlier, and that's going to the management who operates the store and let them know that their employees have screwed up and cost the customer time, money and effort to get the situation corrected.

The register receipt and the check should be sufficient evidence that a payment attempt was executed, and it's Sachs' problem to get the corrections made with HSBC.

HSBC's computer software has no idea whether or not the OP is a good person and always pays her bills on time. All they saw was that no EBT came in from Sachs, so WTF did they do with the money the whole time? Sit on it?

OP needs to locate the district office and start making phone calls and demand relief.

If it turns nasty, there is always small claims court, and you don't need a lawyer to start that process.

If I make my payment at an establishment that a creditor allows to accept payment for them and they enter the info incorrectly, it's their fault, period, just as it would be my fault if I entered the info incorrectly.

Right on, Curious, and well said. It is their responsibility to make the payment correctly if they allow a payment to be made in store. Also, it could have been the HSBC employee on the other end of the line who entered it incorrectly. The salesman seemed clueless but he said the person on the line had an accent so there could have been a miscomunication between the two of them and there is no way to prove which one made the error. One thing that is certain, the error was not made by me. If HSBC has entered into a business relationship with Saks to do their CC servicing then they are also agreeing to be responsible for the Saks employees actions if they allow payments to be made in store.

I don't argue with what was said here, but that doesn't assuage the fact that the account holder is ultimately responsible for the account what happens to it.

Nobody needs to sit here and be babysat. There's a vehicle I explained earlier, and that's going to the management who operates the store and let them know that their employees have screwed up and cost the customer time, money and effort to get the situation corrected.

The register receipt and the check should be sufficient evidence that a payment attempt was executed, and it's Sachs' problem to get the corrections made with HSBC.

HSBC's computer software has no idea whether or not the OP is a good person and always pays her bills on time. All they saw was that no EBT came in from Sachs, so WTF did they do with the money the whole time? Sit on it?

OP needs to locate the district office and start making phone calls and demand relief.

If it turns nasty, there is always small claims court, and you don't need a lawyer to start that process.

If I make my payment at an establishment that a creditor allows to accept payment for them and they enter the info incorrectly, it's their fault, period, just as it would be my fault if I entered the info incorrectly.

Right on, Curious, and well said. It is their responsibility to make the payment correctly if they allow a payment to be made in store. Also, it could have been the HSBC employee on the other end of the line who entered it incorrectly. The salesman seemed clueless but he said the person on the line had an accent so there could have been a miscomunication between the two of them and there is no way to prove which one made the error. One thing that is certain, the error was not made by me. If HSBC has entered into a business relationship with Saks to do their CC servicing then they are also agreeing to be responsible for the Saks employees actions if they allow payments to be made in store.

As it has already been resolved I don't know what you are talking about. I realize it is my responsibility to get a problem straightened out whether it is my fault or not if I want to be on top of my credit situation. To that end I noted in my earlier posts that they did resolve it by waiving the fee. However, that doesn't make me any happier with them. Since I have other creditors that have bent over backward to make me happy and to give me excellent CS, I do not feel the need to do much business with a company that uses HSBC to manage their CC division. That is my prerogative as a consumer. Thank goodness I am in a position that HSBC is not the only game in town.

That sucks, lorcan.

I've had no trouble with customer service on the benes side, or the account side ~ but then I pay exclusively online so there is little human intervention. Even if you do decide to not use the card, don't avoid shopping at SAKS because of their partnership with hsbc. Not all retail card services can have the extraordinary service of Nordstroms. they should all provide service and rewards like that. But unfortunately they do not.

I'm a shopper of Neimans as well. But I choose not to have the card because use of my AMEX Plat there earns me good rewards. The Neimans card isn't worth having a store only card (I don't want one of those)

So, it's about what suits your needs. If you're pissed off too much right now at hsbc then use another rewards card there but don't avoid the store. Better yet - make another attempt at resolving the payment posting issue...

Thanks, Trevor. When I originally made the purchase I gave the salesgirl my Nordstrom card. That is when she asked me if I wanted to apply for the Saks card and I did. I would have been better off had I just stuck to my guns and used my Nordstrom Visa to pay at Saks. While I don't really shop at Saks very often for the once in awhile that I do I will probably still use the store card since I have it. The store card can be paid in the store and they do give you a receipt when you make the payment so they are not the problem anyway.

The problem I had was with the MC side of the card. I made the payment in the store and found out that what they do in that case is have the salesperson call in the check and it goes through as an electronic check and all they give you is a confirmation # and if it does not go through the confirmation # is worth bubkis! It is a very bad system and should be changed. In this case the salesperson made a mistake and I was getting penalized for his mistake which left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Anyone can make a mistake so that is not the problem. It was the CS that followed that bothered me. When I was speaking to the bill pay department on the phone it became clear that more #s were called in than were on my account # which showed that it was not that I didn't have the money in the account but the wrong account # was called in. I am sure she could see it was paid in store but she kept accusing me of calling it in wrong. How many times do I have to tell her that I was not the one who called it in before she stops acting accusatory and condescending to me? There is no excuse for a condescending or accusatory tone no matter what caused the problem. I like good CS and gravitate toward the companies that offer that so I will gravitate toward shopping at Nordstrom or even Macy's because I have never had a problem paying my Macy's or Nordstrom Visa in store and their CS has always been exemplary (at least they were never rude or accusatory).

Edited by lorcan

At the end of the day, it's your responsibility to make the payment on time.

The only instance when I would consider them at fault is you provide the CORRECT payment info and some how they screw up.

This is a perfect reason for not waiting until a few days before the payment is due to pay.

+1

It was definitely their fault. Saks stock price is in the toilet, maybe they should get a clue about customer service and a new card issuer. I don't like HSBC either as they're the issuer for my Neimans Marcus card. The customer service for NM is not very good in IMO, though I love their apparel. Nordstrom customer service rocks!

You are correct about Nordstrom! It occurs to me that I pay my Nordstrom Visa in store all the time and I never had any problem whatsoever. My APR with Nordstrom is 7.9% and Saks is 17.9%. Which one would you choose to use?

i would use neither, there are better visa and mastercards out there. Saks is the better store to shop in nordstrom does not even come close. Hsbc sucks and so does nordstrom visa. Go with a zero percent card if you are carrying a balance.

I dunno, I see no fault of the OP on this one. If you provide a way of paying for a service, then it's up to you to make sure that way works. OP was told she could pay her bill in store. She went to the store, paid by check, received a confirmation number, and thought all was well. She did her part. Somewhere along the line, something went wrong. How is it the OP's fault? She was on time. She had the money to pay it in her account. She received a confirmation number. Isn't that how most of us pay our bills? If you offer a particular service, train employees how to use said service. It's pretty black and white to me.

I have never ever had a positive experience with Saks Customer Service -- in store or by credit card and I have been a cardholder since 2007 and keep it for the benefits. I will talk about the card service here.

You can search for other posts by me on Saks, but know someone also posted about a bad experience on www.my3cents.com

HSBC Card Services is supposed to service the MasterCard account -- but I when I call I always get someone in Retail Services (supposed to service the Saks Store Account) in Mississippi. I think MS is their only call center for this card -- both accounts, whether you call the US or Int'l collect#.

Whenever I call the int'l collect# (to avoid those pesky auto menus) I always get transferred. They once told me all they can do is give basic balance and available credit info.

Check the Saks Incorporated website for contacts that might help to escalate stuff. Remember be brief in yoru explanation and state at the beginning and the end what you want.

I think on that my3cents post a rep posted that ever since Saks moved to HSBC to service their cards service has gone downhill. She said they used to be more lenient but now they stick to the book. I don't even want to rehash all the problems I have had with them -- and they are not even payment related! These were like simple questions about benefits, disputing charges -- nothing was my fault ever, and no one can handle it down there.

I concur -- if you had moved up to store management they would give a gift card for your troubles – if you ask – lie $25 or something. On one of my issues I wrote in a scathing letter and a senior person in the MS call center (well SaksFirst rewards department really) replied with a $50 gift card and apologized - but misspelled my name! I liked that approach just resolve it with some action. I get many letters from them with Steve Sadove or other senior people signed on it about my card benefits. I wonder if I wrote to them how fast and apologetic reply I would get? I hate going up the ladder too fast and don’t mind spending time at each level, but sometime these lowly reps are just incompetent and make me wonder why they were hired.

I know at the Saks NYC – they put the GMs email on each receipt as an open invitation to email her on any issues related to your in-store experience.

P.S. Don’t ever email them from your account log-on website – they just reply to call them as their answer.

At the end of the day, it's your responsibility to make the payment on time.

The only instance when I would consider them at fault is you provide the CORRECT payment info and some how they screw up.

This is a perfect reason for not waiting until a few days before the payment is due to pay.

+1

So what does that have to do with me or this thread since I did my part and provided the correct payment info when I gave them my check? After that it was on their hands if there is a problem.

I dunno, I see no fault of the OP on this one. If you provide a way of paying for a service, then it's up to you to make sure that way works. OP was told she could pay her bill in store. She went to the store, paid by check, received a confirmation number, and thought all was well. She did her part. Somewhere along the line, something went wrong. How is it the OP's fault? She was on time. She had the money to pay it in her account. She received a confirmation number. Isn't that how most of us pay our bills? If you offer a particular service, train employees how to use said service. It's pretty black and white to me.

Thank you for understanding the situation perfectly. :lol:

I have never ever had a positive experience with Saks Customer Service -- in store or by credit card and I have been a cardholder since 2007 and keep it for the benefits. I will talk about the card service here.

You can search for other posts by me on Saks, but know someone also posted about a bad experience on www.my3cents.com

HSBC Card Services is supposed to service the MasterCard account -- but I when I call I always get someone in Retail Services (supposed to service the Saks Store Account) in Mississippi. I think MS is their only call center for this card -- both accounts, whether you call the US or Int'l collect#.

Whenever I call the int'l collect# (to avoid those pesky auto menus) I always get transferred. They once told me all they can do is give basic balance and available credit info.

Check the Saks Incorporated website for contacts that might help to escalate stuff. Remember be brief in yoru explanation and state at the beginning and the end what you want.

I think on that my3cents post a rep posted that ever since Saks moved to HSBC to service their cards service has gone downhill. She said they used to be more lenient but now they stick to the book. I don't even want to rehash all the problems I have had with them -- and they are not even payment related! These were like simple questions about benefits, disputing charges -- nothing was my fault ever, and no one can handle it down there.

I concur -- if you had moved up to store management they would give a gift card for your troubles – if you ask – lie $25 or something. On one of my issues I wrote in a scathing letter and a senior person in the MS call center (well SaksFirst rewards department really) replied with a $50 gift card and apologized - but misspelled my name! I liked that approach just resolve it with some action. I get many letters from them with Steve Sadove or other senior people signed on it about my card benefits. I wonder if I wrote to them how fast and apologetic reply I would get? I hate going up the ladder too fast and don’t mind spending time at each level, but sometime these lowly reps are just incompetent and make me wonder why they were hired.

I know at the Saks NYC – they put the GMs email on each receipt as an open invitation to email her on any issues related to your in-store experience.

P.S. Don’t ever email them from your account log-on website – they just reply to call them as their answer.

Thanks for your informative post. I am sure that more people than me or you have had a problem with HSBC. As I have said before it is too bad a class outfit like Saks puts their CC division in the hands of dum dums! It certainly will not increase their business from me.

I am going to write to the store manager as to what happened and see if that gets me anywhere. At this point they have taken off the late fee but a GC wouldn't be bad to help me forget. :beee:

OH BOY, what an experience with them last night on the phone.

A temporaRY hold ' may' have been placed on my account. No worries, called the 866 462 8983# back from the VM messages. Also the email alert I got on this also have this tel#. Lo and behold hold music is HSBC Card Services, then says later HSBC Retail Services I get the lady who says she is Card Services in her greeting, I explain the VM and say I have a alert ID# -- she says this is the wrong department I will transfer you to the right department and gives me the 888 219 4441 as a backup

WTF?? hello I dialed the # Johnny gave to me in his voicemail (and is in writing in the email!) and hit no other keys (1 for X or 2 for Y) It just auto transferred me. YUCK! This is the second time I have been given incorrect 800#s to dial!

Then when I get to a rep she verify’s some charges - I recognize them all, but she never asks me (as all my other card issuers do) do I have the card in my possession and have I had the card in my possession -- just delves right into the merchant name and $amount.

I did not inquire what triggered the alert. Apparently there are fraud alerts and temporary holds and something else I cannot recall. Fraud alerts I think prevent you from using your card. Holds - if applied on which mine in the end was not allow you to use your card I guess. Also I asked her to add a blanket note about my travels outside the USA and she gave some BS answer about how I must call each time I plan to travel as the computer determine the fraud alert not people. I mean with Citi they could add a generic note about my international travels – are they telling me my Saks World Elite MasterCard cannot....ughghghgh their call centers and systems are a disaster.

Also on the first agent I reached she seemed a bit shocked when she confirmed I was calling about my “Saks MasterCard†I imagine I got a generic HSBC Card Services call center and they rarely see those cars. Plus do they not delineate between World Elite and Platinum.

Just wanted to share an anecdote!

Edited by whar8

Exactly right. If you don't hack into their card processing and change the due amount in their database on your card yourself, you're to blame, whether there was a website error or an error by a human employed by them when processing your payment...

:rolleyes:

OH BOY, what an experience with them last night on the phone.

A temporaRY hold ' may' have been placed on my account. No worries, called the 866 462 8983# back from the VM messages. Also the email alert I got on this also have this tel#. Lo and behold hold music is HSBC Card Services, then says later HSBC Retail Services I get the lady who says she is Card Services in her greeting, I explain the VM and say I have a alert ID# -- she says this is the wrong department I will transfer you to the right department and gives me the 888 219 4441 as a backup

WTF?? hello I dialed the # Johnny gave to me in his voicemail (and is in writing in the email!) and hit no other keys (1 for X or 2 for Y) It just auto transferred me. YUCK! This is the second time I have been given incorrect 800#s to dial!

Then when I get to a rep she verify’s some charges - I recognize them all, but she never asks me (as all my other card issuers do) do I have the card in my possession and have I had the card in my possession -- just delves right into the merchant name and $amount.

I did not inquire what triggered the alert. Apparently there are fraud alerts and temporary holds and something else I cannot recall. Fraud alerts I think prevent you from using your card. Holds - if applied on which mine in the end was not allow you to use your card I guess. Also I asked her to add a blanket note about my travels outside the USA and she gave some BS answer about how I must call each time I plan to travel as the computer determine the fraud alert not people. I mean with Citi they could add a generic note about my international travels – are they telling me my Saks World Elite MasterCard cannot....ughghghgh their call centers and systems are a disaster.

Also on the first agent I reached she seemed a bit shocked when she confirmed I was calling about my “Saks MasterCard†I imagine I got a generic HSBC Card Services call center and they rarely see those cars. Plus do they not delineate between World Elite and Platinum.

Just wanted to share an anecdote!

Wow whar, sorry to hear.

For all the bad experiences you've had with this card mine have all been positive :rolleyes:

Thought I would reply here rather than new topic even though subject unrelated it is Saks related:

Double Point Promo outside Saks

Gas, Grocery, Drug, Dining Establishments (fast food? eating place (aka restaurant)?--who knows AGAIN.

They rarely do outside Saks promos and rarely online registration.

Thought I would reply here rather than new topic even though subject unrelated it is Saks related:

Double Point Promo outside Saks

Gas, Grocery, Drug, Dining Establishments (fast food? eating place (aka restaurant)?--who knows AGAIN.

They rarely do outside Saks promos and rarely online registration.

Received promo details last week. Wish it was triple and included other categories, but I'll take it...