Sign in to follow this  
IOwe-IOwe

How many people give cashiers checking ID a hard time?

I was just reading George's tag line about his driver's license being to operate a car (or something like that) and that his ID was the signature on the back of his card.

I'm curious to know how many people give cashiers a hard time when they ask to see ID, and what kind of reaction you get from cashiers when you refuse.

I'm more of a go along to get along type person when it comes to credit card transactions, except when they have a minimum charge requirement. I've turned into a pit bull on a few occasions over that.

I usually yell at them, leave my stuff on the counter and leave.

Ok not really. But that drives me freaking crazy.

I don't mind it. I welcome any added security measures as long as they're within reason.

Time is money, so i go along even though it does absolutely nothing to increase security on the transaction. A few small localy owned places have signs up that they will always check ID for CCs but they never check mine.... and firestone always accepts my firestone credit card when DH uses it so i hope they never check ID. :unsure: (The car is in their system under my name, so that is apparently good enough for them.)

I went to a smaller "kitchen shop" downtown Savannah.. I do not mind showing my ID there b/c the area is always full of out of town people Esp this weekend St pat weekend. They have cute stuff and the sign says they check all id. But places like wally world, I say no, Just like I no longer show my receipt when I leave.

I was at the post office, used my Schwab Visa, said he would not accept it since it wasn't signed. I gave him my ID. He said unless it's signed he could not take it. I gave him my US Passport, again, he said he wouldn't accept an unsigned card, but I could use my ATM card. WTF? Of course I gave him a hard time.

as a minority they always ask

CREDIT CARD SIGNATURE IS ALL THE ID NEEDED

When you pay for merchandise with a Visa card, MasterCard, or American Express any store that accepts these cards should accept yours too, no questions asked. It's part of the deal that merchants agree to when they become participating members.

They must check your signature and the card - electronically or by telephone - to be sure it's valid. Once the answer comes up yes, they can go ahead and charge. They can't ask you for any further identification - not a license plate number, Social Security number, proof of address, phone number or photo ID.

Your personal ID isn't needed because Visa, MasterCard, and American Express all guarantee payment on cards that have been properly checked. If the issuer mistakenly authorizes a sale on a bad card, it should make good. MasterCard says that merchants receive instant settlement. The contract MasterCard merchants sign specifically prevents them from asking for personal ID.

Unfortunately, not all merchants play by the rules. Some, apparently, haven't read them.

WHAT YOU CAN DO

MasterCard wants to hear about merchants who break their rules. Send the name and address and an account of what happened to MasterCard WorldWide 2000 Purchase St. Purchase, NY 10577 or call 1-800-300-3069. The merchant's bank will get a stiff letter, ordering it to investigate and bring the offending store into line - or pay a $2,000 fine. You may also report violations online:

http://www.mastercard.com/us/personal/en/c...violations.html

Visa enforces the same rules as MasterCard. "When we hear about a violation, we ask the bank that signed the merchant to get together with the merchant and see that the practice is stopped," Visa representative states. To report a merchant, send a letter to the bank that that issued your Visa card or call 1-800-VISA-911.

American Express also prohibits merchants from asking for IDs. "All a merchant is supposed to do is take an imprint, make sure the signature matches and swipe the card through the terminal, to get authorization."

I really don't mind them asking - having been a victim of identity theft, I really feel more comfortable that they DO ask. Believe me, the small inconvenience to you is nothing compared to the damage it can do to your life when someone takes your identity.

The only grind I have, is that my DL is in a window in my wallet....and in most cases that's fine for people who want to see it. It's the ones with the attitude that insist your remove it from your wallet to inspect it. If there's a chance it could be fake, I'd accept it, but the holograms are perfectly obvious through the window.

I've got up and left a restaurant once, when the waitress who had a cactus up her a** insisted I remove my DL from my wallet for her to inspect. Yes, I made a scene - but she asked for it....if she had something better to do than her job, she should go and do it, not take her frustrations out on the people paying her wages.

Baggy

I was at the post office, used my Schwab Visa, said he would not accept it since it wasn't signed. I gave him my ID. He said unless it's signed he could not take it. I gave him my US Passport, again, he said he wouldn't accept an unsigned card, but I could use my ATM card. WTF? Of course I gave him a hard time.

He was doing it right. If your card isn't signed, it's not valid.

To answer the OP: I have given up arguing with the untrained ID thieves, and just show a non-gov ID with nothing but my name and a picture on it.

I take out my college photo ID (which only has my name, my picture and a completely useless number at the front, that is never used by anyone at the college) and it usually flies for the few morons who actually think that checking ID will do both themselves and the shopper an ounce of good (it does, but only for the most opportunistic and dumbest of crooks).

They ask for a driver license, I just say "No," drop everything and leave.

Time is important to me, but from experience, it takes less time to shop at another establishment than to rebuild a stolen identity, thanks to the information lifted off from the voluntarily provided driver license (as it happened to my mother unfortunately).

I will show my ID if they ask. They are just doing their job. Imagine given a cashier women a hard time that has to support her three kids and disable husband making $6 an hour just because she was doing what her boss asked her to do. Grow up people just show your id and go home

the damage it can do to your life when someone takes your identity.

Obviously it a major security and identity theft risk, extreme invasion of privacy and a no-brainer to keep your ID to yourself. No reasonable adult would hand over their ID to some violating cashier on demand. The most important thing is making sure it never happens again, so if any violating merchant should ever pop-up in your community, make sure they are eliminated/brought back into line immediately - 1-800-VISA-911.

Never show ID for credit card purchases.

No ID required for credit card purchases. Merchants cannot require ID.

If a merchant tries to require ID, immediately call 1-800-VISA-911 to ensure they never do again.

VISA: 1-800-VISA-911

MasterCard: 1-800-300-3069

Also easily report merchant violations online:

http://www.mastercard.com/us/personal/en/c...violations.html

Check the box that says "Merchant required ID"

Never show ID for credit card purchases.

No ID required for credit card purchases.

Make sure your community is 100% violation-free. :rolleyes:

I have only been asked on a few occasions but yes, I routinely give them a hard time and cite credit card policy, lol. Usually I include something like, "I know you're doing what you've been told to do, but you are not allowed to. Technically, I could call and report you for this." Yeah, my mother always said I was an instigator when I was little... I guess I still am. :rolleyes:

You must sign your card before you use it period. The guy was right and you were wrong not just for not signing your card but for giving him a hard time too. These are that kind of people I have no respect for

I will show my ID if they ask. They are just doing their job. Imagine given a cashier women a hard time that has to support her three kids and disable husband making $6 an hour just because she was doing what her boss asked her to do. Grow up people just show your id and go home

I totally and completely disagree on the principal of it. I'm a mother of four trying to take care of my family. What makes anyone so special that they can blatantly violate policy?!?!? It's people who don't care who let this become more and more of a problem. I understand about not ripping into the cashier (as I stated above) but I have no problem at all going to management about it. I DO NOT think it's ok to let someone violate policy. It has nothing to do with growing up. I teach my children that if something is not right, you SHOULD question it. If everyone just went along with what someone else told them or did, this would be a pretty crazy place to live. You should stand up for your rights.

There's so much more important things to do with my time. My ss# isn't on my dl, so I couldn't care less.

What makes anyone so special that they can blatantly violate policy?!?!? It's people who don't care who let this become more and more of a problem. I understand about not ripping into the cashier (as I stated above) but I have no problem at all going to management about it. I DO NOT think it's ok to let someone violate policy. It has nothing to do with growing up. I teach my children that if something is not right, you SHOULD question it. If everyone just went along with what someone else told them or did, this would be a pretty crazy place to live. You should stand up for your rights.

To report, simply call 1-800-VISA-911, press zero twice, and ask to file an “incident report†regarding a merchant violation/merchant who required ID. Crooked merchants shape-up quickly to avoid suspension. Make sure your community is 100% violation-free. :rolleyes:

I think more states should allow ID's to be checked, just like Washington. Or, as a compromise, PIN numbers should be required with all transactions, just like with classic check and ATM cards.

nope, only cuz I never use CC's in stores. Out of habit I use mostly cash but I'm slowing starting to use my debit card more also.

I really don't mind them asking - having been a victim of identity theft, I really feel more comfortable that they DO ask. Believe me, the small inconvenience to you is nothing compared to the damage it can do to your life when someone takes your identity.
I think more states should allow ID's to be checked, just like Washington. Or, as a compromise, PIN numbers should be required with all transactions, just like with classic check and ATM cards.

Yes, it makes much more sense to give a potentially crooked cashier your ID so they can now have your address and date of birth to assist them in stealing not just your credit card number but now your entire identity. :rolleyes:

I can't believe that people are so naive to think that requiring additional ID protects them, when it does exactly the opposite. The theft of one single credit card number is a hell of a lot easier to deal with than the theft of one's identity.

1. Print the page from the PDF of both Visa and MasterCard and present this to them when they require ID. Be sure to hand write the URLs to these PDFs on the back of each so you can provide your source for the information to the store management.

2. Print the MasterCard Merchant Violation Page and present this to store management.

3. Black out your name and address on the confirmation letter you received from Visa and present that letter the store.

4. Ask the store to show you, in writing, their policy that states ID is required. You have provided them with documentation from the credit card companies that ID is not allowed. Ask them to provide you with documentation their company has produced that says otherwise. Nobody is going to be able to come up with any such documentation because NO retailer has ANY corporate produced materials that state to require ID on a signed credit card transaction.

4. Ask the store to show you, in writing, their policy that states ID is required. You have provided them with documentation from the credit card companies that ID is not allowed. Ask them to provide you with documentation their company has produced that says otherwise. Nobody is going to be able to come up with any such documentation because NO retailer has ANY corporate produced materials that state to require ID on a signed credit card transaction.
We have discussed this Continental. I have no idea about the state or municipality in which you live. The State of Washington BY LAW has voided that clause of the credit card contract.

This means that any Tom, ding-a-ling, or Harry who takes credit cards can require you to show them an ID and there is nothing the credit card companies can do about it. In all honesty, they probably don't even care. It is a public relation's stunt where they can't use the law as an excuse.

Sign in to follow this  

About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines