Sign in to follow this  
detaildude

Do public records ever go away?

I have a IRS tax lien on file with the county clerk where I live.

The lien is past SOL and listed as resolved, self releasing 3/2007

Is there any way to get rid of it

Can you dispute it with the county clerk and make them verify the amount, dates etc

or remove it.

Go away from the report, yes it's possible. Disappearing from public records storage in the Clerk's Office...completely different matter. There is a REASON that you can still go and look at records from, as an example, 138 years ago...and that is preclisely because the law makes certain records something that are to be retained into perpetuity (absent, say, a basement flood like some counties have occasionally encountered, or the one I ran into recently where a good chunk of the criminal file was no longer in existence as it had served as a buffet for a family of rats).

There are two questions here:

One, does an old public record ever go away? No, unless it is removed through a move to vacate

Two, can a public record appearing on your credit report be removed or deleted from that report? Yes, it can, by disputing with the CRA in a very specific way

Hello Bubba Gump,Centex,Jack

Ist I wanted to say I appreciate all the information you post on here as I have been reading for a few months and really reading the last 2 weeks about 5 hours a night...that being said I wanted to get advice on your very specific way to dispute CRA for income tax liens(texas) 1 shows on Trans Union and one on Equifax...Experian clean...I have opted out and disputed old addresses that it was linked to on EQ and anyday now should be getting a letter from TU.They said it had to be manually processed. Thankyou for your time and I will continue reading,reading,reading.

There are two questions here:

One, does an old public record ever go away? No, unless it is removed through a move to vacate

Two, can a public record appearing on your credit report be removed or deleted from that report? Yes, it can, by disputing with the CRA in a very specific way

Thank You for your responses.

I have tried getting answers to this question several times, with no luck. This time I got answers from

the who's, who of creditboards.

If Mr. Gump would share some of his insight with us, it would be real helpful. As long as that lien is

available at the county clerks office (web site) the CRA's are going to keep reporting it as verified

The only two ways I can come up with, for a dispute are (1) something to do with DOLA, or DOFD etc.

(2) SOL, obsolete etc.

The big problem is that the lien had to do with tax years '95, '97, but the IRS never filed the lien

until 2004 and it self released in 05/07

There actually was another question in the original post. Is there any way to consider the county clerk's

office as a furnisher of information, or a reporting agency and try to require them to verify info such as amount, dates etc.

Thanks

Tim

Go away from the report, yes it's possible. Disappearing from public records storage in the Clerk's Office...completely different matter. There is a REASON that you can still go and look at records from, as an example, 138 years ago...and that is preclisely because the law makes certain records something that are to be retained into perpetuity (absent, say, a basement flood like some counties have occasionally encountered, or the one I ran into recently where a good chunk of the criminal file was no longer in existence as it had served as a buffet for a family of rats).

That is a genealogist's worst nightmare! One of my favorite family history documents is a series of court papers from the 1850's about my 4th great grandfather. The fees, like 27 cents to be arrested, just crack me up! I wish I could tag along with you to those old courthouse basements. We could have some fun!

To address the OP, exactly what centex said. You can get them off your reports fairly readily but they'll be in the courthouse records (and probably digitized at this point in time) for what you should consider to be eternity, barring disaster and loss of records.

I've had a lien on my credit for a few years now (5 years, 4 months) and I've tried everything to get it off. Disputing old addresses, contacting the CRAs for verification, contacting the states tax advocate...etc and nothing. It's for 1500.00 in back taxes that we set up payment plans on, we paid them on time every month and still this guy from the tax office decided to file a lien on us. We contacted him but he said once it was filed there was nothing he could do. He took about 6 months to take it off, even after the full amount was paid off.....and numerous phone calls and letters just to get that done.

It's really frustrating....but at this point I'm just clueless as to what is going to get it to fall off other than time.

That is a genealogist's worst nightmare! One of my favorite family history documents is a series of court papers from the 1850's about my 4th great grandfather. The fees, like 27 cents to be arrested, just crack me up! I wish I could tag along with you to those old courthouse basements. We could have some fun!

To address the OP, exactly what centex said. You can get them off your reports fairly readily but they'll be in the courthouse records (and probably digitized at this point in time) for what you should consider to be eternity, barring disaster and loss of records.

Everyone keeps saying I can get them off my reports. Thats all I want. I could care less that

they are on file. I can't seem to get them off my reports, Because they are on file.

Even though they are from years '95 and '97, Since the IRS didn't file the lien untill '04

the CRA's want to keep them on my reports until 2011

Except EQ, they dumped them on first dispute. The law says they can't report negative

accts longer than 10 years, but CRA's policy's are to keep liens for 7 years after they are paid

I just don't know how to attack them anymore

Bump.

I have a lien I'd like to see removed, too... from 1997 (CA FTB). BubbaGump, any pointers?

What resources, links, or advice is available for the "Very specific way to Dispute these". Mine are from 95 and 97 and the lien was filed in 2001. Almost same problem. I am sorely afraid they are filing "releases". I know they have them but they have not shown up at the courthouse yet.

Bump.

I have a lien I'd like to see removed, too... from 1997 (CA FTB). BubbaGump, any pointers?

It is paid or unpaid?

Federal Tax Lien, by chance?

OK, so how are Public Records removed from your credit reports?

My report (equifax) shows a resolved state tax lien....it was resolved because I proved I never owed the taxes in the fist place. The other two reports don't show anything about Public Records.

So what is "the very specific way" to get the public records deleted from one's credit report??? :mellow::)

So what is "the very specific way" to get the public records deleted from one's credit report??? :mellow::)

play the CRA off of the court game. works for some.

Joining the (growing) chorus and asking what the "very specific way" is to get a paid federal tax lien removed from my CR.

This info would be infinitely helpful to me!

I have a IRS tax lien on file with the county clerk where I live.

The lien is past SOL and listed as resolved, self releasing 3/2007

Is there any way to get rid of it

Can you dispute it with the county clerk and make them verify the amount, dates etc

or remove it.

That is kinda' funny SINCE THE COUNTY DOESN'T EVEN REPORT or CONFIRM or DENY ANY LIENS

Edited by GEORGE

Dear Crusty Old Transunion CRA type person

My name is Mad as Hell: My SS # is XXX-XX-XXXX.

I am sending this dispute certified mail# XXXXXXX to make sure you receive it.

My report # is XXXXXXXXX

There is no such lien of record # XXXXXXXX from XXXXXXXXX Court for XXXX for $ XXXXXX.

I have certified documentation from the Court that supports my dispute of this erroneous entry on my report.

If this entry is verified, please send me the name and address of the provider or furnisher providing this data, and the manner in which it was provided in order that I may pursue additional legal remedies.

Very truly yours,

Mad as Hell

Much thanks to Whychat, since it is his letter that does seem to work for disputing liens and judgments. Hope it helps

Dear Crusty Old Transunion CRA type person

My name is Mad as Hell: My SS # is XXX-XX-XXXX.

I am sending this dispute certified mail# XXXXXXX to make sure you receive it.

Thanks SptsMed posting WhyChat's PR dispute letter... one other thing though--it's important in this case not to use a return receipt (green card) even though you are using certified mail to send your dispute. Otherwise, it will be handled by a special dept at the CRA and you are quite unlikely to get the desired result.

I believe the general wisdom is that tax liens are more difficult to get removed than judgments. And for many EX is the worst CRA to get a delete because after the first dispute, they often start giving you the "previously investigated" excuse if you dispute again.

RCJ

Yes!!! This is one of my favorite hobbies. As a genealogist, I spend lots of time looking for "clues" about ancestors. It brings me to all sorts of interesting places and it's definitely a look back in time! I search court records, land records, bmd (birth, marriage, death) records, military records.

If we know that much about the people who lived then, in a world essentially free of higher technology, imagine what those who come after us will know about us? It gets much easier to research as more and more old records become digitized.

If you get it vacated, though, can it be removed from the record permanently or is there schrapnel? What about if it was determined to be imperfect?

I've tried all of those letters mentioned here. sent the non-green card letters and all.. All Three CRAs still have it marked as verified. They are released and paid tax liens like the other posters here.

So mine are stuck. After this happens, is there any other way? Or are they there for eternity? Can I sue someone to have the IRS liens vacated? Do you have to sue the IRS? Who would you sue?

I've tried all of those letters mentioned here. sent the non-green card letters and all.. All Three CRAs still have it marked as verified. They are released and paid tax liens like the other posters here.

So mine are stuck. After this happens, is there any other way? Or are they there for eternity? Can I sue someone to have the IRS liens vacated? Do you have to sue the IRS? Who would you sue?

Have you asked for Procedural report on how they they verified the tax liens? when were the tax liens released?