Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Citi Security Breach?

This message is 749 days old.  We'd prefer it if you'd start a new topic instead of replying to this one.

Anybody else get this message when they log in to check their account? Will call tomorrow if I get the chance but does anyone know what this is about? Thanks in advance.

Important Security Message

This is to inform you that your account may be at risk for unauthorized use. To ensure that it remains protected, we have:

#

Restricted Account Online access for this account number.

#

Issued a new Citi Card to you.

When you receive your new card, please take the following steps immediately:

1. Activate it as instructed on the sticker on the front of the card.

2. Inform authorized users of this situation.

3. Notify recurring billing merchants of the new account number.

4. Register your new account number with Account Online for full access again

In the meantime, to make payments online, change account information or use the Secure Message feature, call Customer Service

Anybody else get this message when they log in to check their account? Will call tomorrow if I get the chance but does anyone know what this is about? Thanks in advance.

Important Security Message

This is to inform you that your account may be at risk for unauthorized use. To ensure that it remains protected, we have:

#

Restricted Account Online access for this account number.

#

Issued a new Citi Card to you.

When you receive your new card, please take the following steps immediately:

1. Activate it as instructed on the sticker on the front of the card.

2. Inform authorized users of this situation.

3. Notify recurring billing merchants of the new account number.

4. Register your new account number with Account Online for full access again

In the meantime, to make payments online, change account information or use the Secure Message feature, call Customer Service

Call on the phone and ask about the message

THEY COULD CALL YOU FIRST...

But maybe they got 27 charges in 12 seconds and needed to react

DH got it a few weeks ago. Letter said his card was compromised in a data breach. His card wasn't canceled immediately, it was good until the new card was activated or the end of Feb, whichever came first. I didn't know this until the letter came and had him shred it when i saw the online acct.

CALL

Everybody can make 50 different guesses

That won't solve the problem...or get the answer

I'm planning on calling tomorrow during business hours, so I'm not wasting my time talking to people offshore that may not be able to tell me the reason. I was just asking around because if a lot of people got the same message, it would lead me to believe it was a security breach of some kind. Thanks for all the responses.

CALL

Everybody can make 50 different guesses

That won't solve the problem...or get the answer

it's more fun to guess. :) When it happened to DH (late Jan) he used the card in Chicago at walmart then two weeks later, for car repairs in chicago. The notice came up several days later. We thought maybe they suspected someone at walmart skimmed it because they moved a mcd's purchase made locally to the new acct immediately but not the two charges from chicago. They finally moved them about the time the statement cut.

UPDATE: I called and Citi rep says there was a recent security breach with Visa/MC. I asked who was affected and she said a majority of Citi credit card holders. It only affected credit card numbers, no personal information. Beyond that, she didn't know anything else, like when it happened or if it was just Citi that was affected or other banks too. She is sending out a letter explaining what happened because I inquired but I am surprised Citi isn't just sending out a mass mailing about this.

This message is 749 days old.  We'd prefer it if you'd start a new topic instead of replying to this one.