Using Discover to get cash back at supermarket

daveberk

The last post in this topic was posted 3794 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I swiped my Discover card at a Safeway supermaket today and was asked if I wanted cash back up to $100. According to the check out clerk, this feature is only available with Discover cards, not Visa or MC. Does anybody know how Discover treats these cash back transactions? Are they purchases or cash advances? And do you get rewards if they are treated as purchases? I was thinking this may be an easy way to get extra rewards if Discover treats the entire transaction as a purchase of groceries. Thoughts?

I swiped my Discover card at a Safeway supermaket today and was asked if I wanted cash back up to $100. According to the check out clerk, this feature is only available with Discover cards, not Visa or MC. Does anybody know how Discover treats these cash back transactions? Are they purchases or cash advances? And do you get rewards if they are treated as purchases? I was thinking this may be an easy way to get extra rewards if Discover treats the entire transaction as a purchase of groceries. Thoughts?

I'm not sure about Safeway, but at Wal-Mart the cash back feature with Discover is treated as a purchase.

PAY IN FULL ON or BEFORE THE DUE DATE OF THE STATEMENT THAT THE CASH ADVANCE APPEARS ON

$0.00 INTEREST

wow! this is great to know! Do you also get cash back on whole amount too(doubt it but ill ask)

ORIGINAL DISCOVER

NO

WALMART--DISCOVER/SAMS--DISCOVER maybe

To supplement what GEORGE said, here's what was mentioned in that fatwallet thread. This is the answer that someone received from Discover last summer:

"The Standard CashBack Bonus Reward of up to 1% applies only to the amount of your purchase, not the Cash Over amount. But if you obtain Cash Over at a warehouse club, such as BJ's or Sam's Club, or a discount store like Wal-Mart, both the Cash Over and the purchase amount will receive a fixed 0.25% CashBack Bonus Reward."

Edited by persevering

question:

It appears to be the grocery store (not Discover) that decides the policy of the maximum amount of cash you can get at the checkout ? One of the earlier Discover Card links mentions $ 50 while daveberk earlier said that a local Safeway said he could get up to $ 100 back.

other question:

Does this cash back feature only work at grocery stores, warehouse clubs, and Wal-Mart ? You can't use this feature at the local Circle-K, for example ? What about the Super Kmarts and the Super Targets (since they both have grocery stores) ?

Edited by persevering

Line item--->**SAFEWAY GROCERY STORE $103.12**

What was the cashback amount I got???

Multiple $100 by 0.25

It was a trick question

I could have spent the whole amount on groceries

I could have got $100 cash back

Maybe only $20 cash back

question:

It appears to be the grocery store (not Discover) that decides the policy of the maximum amount of cash you can get at the checkout ? One of the earlier Discover Card links mentions $ 50 while daveberk earlier said that a local Safeway said he could get up to $ 100 back.

other question:

Does this cash back feature only work at grocery stores, warehouse clubs, and Wal-Mart ? You can't use this feature at the local Circle-K, for example ? What about the Super Kmarts and the Super Targets (since they both have grocery stores) ?

The cash back feature is limited to certain stores. See http://www.discovercard.com/discover/data/...cash_over.shtml

question:

other question:

The cash back feature is limited to certain stores. See http://www.discovercard.com/discover/data/...cash_over.shtml

I went to Food4Less and the limit they told me cashback was $50.

• 3 years later...

PAY IN FULL ON or BEFORE THE DUE DATE OF THE STATEMENT THAT THE CASH ADVANCE APPEARS ON

$0.00 INTEREST

Cash Advances start accruing interest on the day you make them, even if you pay your balance in full, you'll pay interest on a cash advance from the day you take it out until it's paid off.

$0.00 INTEREST

Cash Advances start accruing interest on the day you make them, even if you pay your balance in full, you'll pay interest on a cash advance from the day you take it out until it's paid off.

<Sneeze> Yes, but Discover does not consider "cash over" a cash advance.

$0.00 INTEREST

<Sneeze> Yes, but Discover does not consider "cash over" a cash advance.

I'm aware, last posted said cash advance... not cash over.

Oh and cash over's do not receive cash back rewards.

The last post in this topic was posted 3794 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.